Rumor: Bruins (really) trying to trade Backes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Kase for Backes, Andersson, Beecher, 1st.

Essentially a 1st to take on Backes, and then Beecher + Andersson for Kase.

Anaheim is rumored to be asking a 1st for Kase but maybe don't get it due to the injuries. Boston likely would have to give up a 1st to be rid of Backes but obviously don't want to. Is this a reasonable compromise?

Reactions: Merrrlin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Anaheim is rumored to be asking a 1st for Kase but maybe don't get it due to the injuries. Boston likely would have to give up a 1st to be rid of Backes but obviously don't want to. Is this a reasonable compromise?

Bruins would trade Backes because they are trying to get a top 6 winger with term. They can’t add a top 6 winger with term without trading Backes or letting Krug walk. Not sure Bruins have the assets to make a deal for that winger after this trade. I also think it’s on piece too many going to the Ducks. But the real issue is that is impossible to negotiate this deal without knowing what the other deal is.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

A first, their first round pick last year and a good second tired D prospect for a 3rd line type RW who can't stay healthy and cap relief. Ondrej Kase. No, its not reasonable.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Bruins would trade Backes because they are trying to get a top 6 winger with term. They can’t add a top 6 winger with term without trading Backes or letting Krug walk. Not sure Bruins have the assets to make a deal for that winger after this trade. I also think it’s on piece too many going to the Ducks. But the real issue is that is impossible to negotiate this deal without knowing what the other deal is.

Kase doesn't have term but is under RFA control and I believe would look great in that open top 6 RW spot. When healthy he's arguably the Ducks best winger ahead of Rakell and Silfverberg. The difference in cap hit between Backes and Kase should be enough to cover a raise to Krug.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A first, their first round pick last year and a good second tired D prospect for a 3rd line type RW who can't stay healthy and cap relief. Ondrej Kase. No, its not reasonable.

By calling Kase a "3rd line type winger" you sort of out yourself as not really knowing who he is.

Like I just said, he's more impactful than Rakell and Silfverberg when he's healthy, undoubtedly a top 6 winger. He's been held back by injuries and that's the only reason they're even considering moving him. Getting a young player of his talent level for non core pieces like Beecher and Andersson could turn out to be a real coup.

Nothing from eye test to advanced stats would make Kase a 3rd line winger. Great possession numbers, great points per 60, and when you watch a game he's constantly involved.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

This is an easy no by Boston.

Reactions: weinsink

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
By calling Kase a "3rd line type winger" you sort of out yourself as not really knowing who he is.

Like I just said, he's more impactful than Rakell and Silfverberg when he's healthy, undoubtedly a top 6 winger. He's been held back by injuries and that's the only reason they're even considering moving him. Getting a young player of his talent level for non core pieces like Beecher and Andersson could turn out to be a real coup.

Nothing from eye test to advanced stats would make Kase a 3rd line winger. Great possession numbers, great points per 60, and when you watch a game he's constantly involved.

This is quite an assumption haha. His possession stats aren't wildly impressive for a guy who's deployment is skewed strongly towards the offensive zone. He's the second most sheltered player on the ducks behind Mahura and his shot attemps, relative and xG% have all regressed for the third year in a row. He's not a particularly young player at 24 yo with only 2 years of team control after this one. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice little player but he can't stay healthy, he plays sheltered minutes and his production is just ok despite all of that stuff. The cost you're asking for here is astronomically high for a player of his caliber.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
This is quite an assumption haha. His possession stats aren't wildly impressive for a guy who's deployment is skewed strongly towards the offensive zone. He's the second most sheltered player on the ducks behind Mahura and his shot attemps, relative and xG% have all regressed for the third year in a row. He's not a particularly young player at 24 yo with only 2 years of team control after this one. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice little player but he can't stay healthy, he plays sheltered minutes and his production is just ok despite all of that stuff. The cost you're asking for here is astronomically high for a player of his caliber.

I asked for similar value to what the Ducks are reportedly asking for. There's too much upside to Kase to let him go for much less.
The case for Anaheim Ducks winger Ondrej Kase as an intriguing trade target - TSN.ca

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
What are Bruins willing to give up, just for dumping Backes?

I think the only two non-NHL assets they don't want to move are this years 1st and Studnicka. How much they are willing to pay really depends on how critical it is to move him right now (what cap hit the player they are looking to acquire in another trade has)

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Obviously Boston is deep, can fans shed some light on his play this year? Is he still and NHL player?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Obviously Boston is deep, can fans shed some light on his play this year? Is he still and NHL player?

Sadly, he is not. He can't keep up with the pace of play at all. He seems like a good dude and he was an awesome player in his prime, but it has passed.

Reactions: Nucker42

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Kase doesn't have term but is under RFA control and I believe would look great in that open top 6 RW spot. When healthy he's arguably the Ducks best winger ahead of Rakell and Silfverberg. The difference in cap hit between Backes and Kase should be enough to cover a raise to Krug.

I like Kase... but there are much much cheaper ways to fit Kase under the cap than moving Backes. Kase is also a nice "wild card" for the 3rd line that might have higher upside than "the answer". You know where I am coming from. When your team is in its window, you are looking for more sure bets...especially if you are a Bruins team that has been taking wishful flyers on 2 RW since Iginla.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

He might be able to give you 10 minutes a night on the 4th line and some locker room leadership. But that's looking at it generously.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
He might be able to give you 10 minutes a night on the 4th line and some locker room leadership. But that's looking at it generously.
So what is Boston willing to attach to ditch his remains 12 million?
Carolina got a 1st for Marleau.

What about a deal around Baertschi and Backes.

Both have this year plus next. Backes makes double the salary. What sweetener would Boston be willing to add?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

He can be a mentor playing 4th line minutes part time for a non-contender. Just like in the real world, I firmly believe that having some older hard working folks around that can teach young players how to be a professional has value. Especially on a young rebuilding team.

But on his on ice merits only, he isn't an NHL player.

If we was going to hold on, it would have to be out west where his size is more of an asset. He has been at his best on the 4th line with Kuraly. But, he isn't quick enough any more. And while he was willing to try to turn into a more enforcer type, Cassidy said they just didn't feel comfortable as a team asking him to do that with his concussion history.

As an aside, folks can certainly find fault with the Bruins on the ice if you are a fan of the other team. But, you can't deny that they get their players to buy in 100%. Part of that is them returning the favor and doing things like looking out for Backes safety here and in doing him a solid and letting him not report to Providence right away.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Both have this year plus next. Backes makes double the salary. What sweetener would Boston be willing to add?

Its impossible to answer without knowing what the other deal is that is forcing Backes to move. Do the Bruins need all 6 million of his cap gone next year? 50% of it? Its a very different cost to move Backes at 50% than it is to move Backes at 100%.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Honestly, there's so many factors involved I have no idea what it's going to take to get it done.

But I think, if he is moved, he's going to end up in SJ and The Bruins 1st rounder will be involved.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

He is a decent 4th line option. He will not hurt you defensively and can still make smart quick plays. His pace is no longer there for game in and game out action. Sadly I think the only teams to play him correctly will be the Bruins and Blues. Another team may just buy him out or try and put him in the AHL. Not the way he wants to go out and he does deserve better with his years of play and league wide respect.

I think his value is best at being a great locker room guy and mentoring the kids. He will make a good coach one day. It may be a case of the Chuck Liddell story, never knowing when is the right time to call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad