Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsNetwork

Can we even call Shen a bust? Wasn’t he a 7th rounder?

Not really related to this aside from the name, but I’ve been rewatching every Providence game from last season since the Bruins got eliminated.

I’m close to finishing the season (AHLtv gives me nightmares, cold sweats) and whenever No. 12 is out there, I seem to enjoy the next 30 seconds or so.

I didn’t see it with Shen at first, and I think I’ve mentioned that over the years, but he’s a good player. Very tenacious, very energetic and very “me” on the ice. I mean that in a good way.

Shen wants to make the plays and score the goals and set up the plays. He works his ass off and really does a good job of applying pressure and pestering on the forecheck.

Side note: Really cool dude, too. Met him once last year and ended up getting stuck in an elevator with him and what I presume to be his girlfriend.

He was looking for the observation floor since he was scratched and doesn’t speak English too well. Unfortunately for him, I don’t count very well and long story short, I had us bouncing from floor to floor in that elevator and we were in there for a solid 7 minutes. Eventually we found where we needed to be, thankfully. (Mind you I take that elevator six times minimum each weekend for the whole season but my brain melted for a few I guess. What can I say?)

Anyways, enough of whatever that was. Where were we? Oh yeah, Pavel Shen brings a lot to the table and I think he’s kind of like what everyone hoped JFK would be in terms of style. A three zone player, but one who asserts himself and makes it tough for the opponent. There’s more urgency and grit in Shen’s game and I appreciate that.

I don’t think his ceiling is anything crazy, but he was a high-end player in the MHL and surprisingly enough, many scouts, bloggers and writers alike have had plenty of nice things to say about him over the last couple of years.

Shen is freshly 21 and that bodes well for him because now he can really start to develop. Providence will need him (35GP last season) more this year if that’s where he ends up playing. I don’t know when and if he’ll be loaded somewhere, but I think Providence will see some key players in Boston on long-term stints, paving the way for a player like Shen to get some reps.

One other element I like about Shen is that’s he’s a forward-player. By that I mean he plays forward, as in up-ice at all times. He’s not trying to waste time or be a tactician and go for high-risk tours of the zone. Instead, he plays “forward” and keeps the play trending towards goal and high-danger areas.

Being a forward-player sounds like a given, but look how quickly things got away from them in Boston. Granted the COVID-19 stoppage derailed them, of course, but when they were struggling they were trying too much. There was too much East-West play and not even forward playing or forward hockey.

Again, another tangent, but anyways where were we? Oh yeah, Pavel Shen again! Nifty, slender, athletic player who shows some tenacity and purpose on the ice. Hopefully we see him further adjust and take another step forward this year. I like what I saw, watching him closer and closer in each replay.

Hope all of my babbling was of some value to at least one of you absolute lunatics.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Mainstays:
Jack Studnicka was one of the best Bruins forwards in Toronto when he got to play. Also here I think Jeremy Swayman.

Sleeper:
Big sleeper for me is Curtis Hall and perhaps Dustyn McFaul.

Bust:
Big season coming up for Zach Senyshyn and Jakub Zboril. Still think they can play in the NHL but will it be in Boston? Maybe

Wouldn't surprise me: If Jakub Lauko becomes a Bruins regular

On a side note: Hockey starts in European leagues this week and Bruins have Oskar Steen (Björklöven) in Swedish Allsvenskan (Tier II) and Jakub Zboril (Kometa Brno) and Jakub Lauko (Karlove Vary)in Chech Extraliga (Tier I).
Regarding Zboril, apparently his team had to move out a couple of defensemen to make room for Jakub. One was highly touted Libor Zabransky, son of GM & Coach Libor Zabransky Sr which raised question by media.
Would have hoped for some more prospects like Pavel Shen and Jeremy Swayman for ex to get some playing time before December when hopefully AHL and other leagues continue. But I guess there’s only those three at the moment. Seen QMJHL is up and running but not WHL and OHL.
College hockey news a bit concerning regarding development for Bruins best prospects like John Beecher, Curtis Hall, Quinn Olson and Dustyn McFaul. But of course there are many things to consider these days.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Mainstays:
Jack Studnicka was one of the best Bruins forwards in Toronto when he got to play. Also here I think Jeremy Swayman.

Sleeper:
Big sleeper for me is Curtis Hall and perhaps Dustyn McFaul.

Bust:
Big season coming up for Zach Senyshyn and Jakub Zboril. Still think they can play in the NHL but will it be in Boston? Maybe

Wouldn't surprise me: If Jakub Lauko becomes a Bruins regular

On a side note: Hockey starts in European leagues this week and Bruins have Oskar Steen (Björklöven) in Swedish Allsvenskan (Tier II) and Jakub Zboril (Kometa Brno) and Jakub Lauko (Karlove Vary)in Chech Extraliga (Tier I).
Regarding Zboril, apparently his team had to move out a couple of defensemen to make room for Jakub. One was highly touted Libor Zabransky, son of GM & Coach Libor Zabransky Sr which raised question by media.
Would have hoped for some more prospects like Pavel Shen and Jeremy Swayman for ex to get some playing time before December when hopefully AHL and other leagues continue. But I guess there’s only those three at the moment. Seen QMJHL is up and running but not WHL and OHL.
College hockey news a bit concerning regarding development for Bruins best prospects like John Beecher, Curtis Hall, Quinn Olson and Dustyn McFaul. But of course there are many things to consider these days.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not really related to this aside from the name, but I’ve been rewatching every Providence game from last season since the Bruins got eliminated.

I’m close to finishing the season (AHLtv gives me nightmares, cold sweats) and whenever No. 12 is out there, I seem to enjoy the next 30 seconds or so.

I didn’t see it with Shen at first, and I think I’ve mentioned that over the years, but he’s a good player. Very tenacious, very energetic and very “me” on the ice. I mean that in a good way.

Shen wants to make the plays and score the goals and set up the plays. He works his ass off and really does a good job of applying pressure and pestering on the forecheck.

Side note: Really cool dude, too. Met him once last year and ended up getting stuck in an elevator with him and what I presume to be his girlfriend.

He was looking for the observation floor since he was scratched and doesn’t speak English too well. Unfortunately for him, I don’t count very well and long story short, I had us bouncing from floor to floor in that elevator and we were in there for a solid 7 minutes. Eventually we found where we needed to be, thankfully. (Mind you I take that elevator six times minimum each weekend for the whole season but my brain melted for a few I guess. What can I say?)

Anyways, enough of whatever that was. Where were we? Oh yeah, Pavel Shen brings a lot to the table and I think he’s kind of like what everyone hoped JFK would be in terms of style. A three zone player, but one who asserts himself and makes it tough for the opponent. There’s more urgency and grit in Shen’s game and I appreciate that.

I don’t think his ceiling is anything crazy, but he was a high-end player in the MHL and surprisingly enough, many scouts, bloggers and writers alike have had plenty of nice things to say about him over the last couple of years.

Shen is freshly 21 and that bodes well for him because now he can really start to develop. Providence will need him (35GP last season) more this year if that’s where he ends up playing. I don’t know when and if he’ll be loaded somewhere, but I think Providence will see some key players in Boston on long-term stints, paving the way for a player like Shen to get some reps.

One other element I like about Shen is that’s he’s a forward-player. By that I mean he plays forward, as in up-ice at all times. He’s not trying to waste time or be a tactician and go for high-risk tours of the zone. Instead, he plays “forward” and keeps the play trending towards goal and high-danger areas.

Being a forward-player sounds like a given, but look how quickly things got away from them in Boston. Granted the COVID-19 stoppage derailed them, of course, but when they were struggling they were trying too much. There was too much East-West play and not even forward playing or forward hockey.

Again, another tangent, but anyways where were we? Oh yeah, Pavel Shen again! Nifty, slender, athletic player who shows some tenacity and purpose on the ice. Hopefully we see him further adjust and take another step forward this year. I like what I saw, watching him closer and closer in each replay.

Hope all of my babbling was of some value to at least one of you absolute lunatics.

I agree I just think the garbage Bruins drafting has accumulated a bunch of high floor centers ahead of him

I’ve seen enough of Frederic to think he eventually will be an anchor on a bottom 6 likely third line power center.

Studnicka is actually the key guy to the Boston franchise.

If he’s a 60 point top 2 line center the Bruins are covered basically for years - they have no weakness

they have needs yes but are not missing a significant piece

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Didn't particularly like their respective seasons, for such an elite skater Vaakanainen was turned and beat often this season also went through the motions for much of the year,he certainly didn't play as well as he did in Boston also he'd get killed in the post season
With Beecher I get what Boston saw,at times he showed it,at times he didn't ,rumors which I won't share here have me turned off a bit,Im now in a show me mode with him,didn't make the move to the OHL that might have been beneficial
I'd move on from both of them while you can maximize return

Move on from Beecher? Guy is 6:03, is a burner and
is physical. Has enormous physical tools you can't
teach, ever. I watched him in person at the WJSS and
on TV the WJC.

Was great at the WJSS and not nearly as bad as some people claim at The WJC. At the WJC, he was one of the best US F for zone exits and entries and it was noticeable,
like coast to coast noticeable. He also was pretty decent
on FO and was used on the PK.

To me I see a guy WORST CASE who will play 3LW who
gets in on a FC and will punish dmen. Exactly what
people want come PO time.

MOST LIKELY CASE, he becomes a player such as
Killorn or Kreider, solid 2L winger who scores dirty goals.

BEST CASE he becomes an elite 3C with the ability
to slot 2C when necessary.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
on TV the WJC.

Was great at the WJSS and not nearly as bad as some people claim at The WJC. At the WJC, he was one of the best US F for zone exits and entries and it was noticeable,

Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The way the Bruins are designed going forward their centers (Studnicka, Frederic, and Beecher) are all high floor guys - 6’2” + who project as good defensively

Frederic was the go to defensive center on the U-17 team

Studnicka 9 SHG

Beecher strong rep as defensive

Mobile D
big defensive based centers
Scoring wingers

that’s the plan

obviously they haven’t hit yet on Senyshyn and DeBrusk is not where he needs to be but this is what Donny during an exclusive one on one with the number 1 fan boy alluded to

Reactions: WestCoastBruinsFan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The way the Bruins are designed going forward their centers (Studnicka, Frederic, and Beecher) are all high floor guys - 6’2” + who project as good defensively

Frederic was the go to defensive center on the U-17 team

Studnicka 9 SHG

Beecher strong rep as defensive

Mobile D
big defensive based centers
Scoring wingers

that’s the plan

obviously they haven’t hit yet on Senyshyn and DeBrusk is not where he needs to be but this is what Donny during an exclusive one on one with the number 1 fan boy alluded to

Don't forget about Curtis Hall at 6'3 / 210lb. Palyed for Team USA at WJC. Led Yale in scoring and was 3rd in the ECAC in goals.

aguineapig

I am not a Scout, but I try to play one by watching a lot of TV, and got to see Swayman a lot on the local channel out of Bangor. His size was the first thing I noticed, but his mental toughness is what has impressed the most. The Maine teams he played behind are not the Walsh - Kariya teams of the glory days. These teams were goal starved but they knew if they worked their butts off, Swayman would keep them in the game and with a greasy goal or two they could steal the game. If he let a goal in he never got rattled and never lost his focus.He won them a lot of games by making sure he stopped the next shot, not worrying about the last one. He stole a game vs BC last year in which he should have been handcuffed when leaving the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
on TV the WJC.

I’d switch the best case and most likely case. If Beecher turned into a player like Killorn/Kreider, that’d be a huge development and one that seems more like a best case scenario for his development.

Reactions: Lo97 and JCRO

member 96824

I am not a Scout, but I try to play one by watching a lot of TV, and got to see Swayman a lot on the local channel out of Bangor. His size was the first thing I noticed, but his mental toughness is what has impressed the most. The Maine teams he played behind are not the Walsh - Kariya teams of the glory days. These teams were goal starved but they knew if they worked their butts off, Swayman would keep them in the game and with a greasy goal or two they could steal the game. If he let a goal in he never got rattled and never lost his focus.He won them a lot of games by making sure he stopped the next shot, not worrying about the last one. He stole a game vs BC last year in which he should have been handcuffed when leaving the ice.

second, thirded, and fourthed.

Maine has had some great goalies go through the system over the years, Swayman may be the best given how little he's had in front of him over the last 3 years.

Two questions..of course the standard "how will an NCAA player playing 30 games a year on Friday and Saturday nights translate to an 82 game season"..but also, how will Swayman look when he's not being completely peppered?

The kid is so calm and collected I'm not really worried about it, it's just something we've really rarely seen. The kid obviously has no problem facing 40 shots a night. How will he do in those weird off rhythm NHL games where a goal only sees 15-18?

aguineapig

I've only seen him a half dozen times on TV, but with his size, skating and reach Johnny Beecher reminds me a 'little" of the Little M.

Now the Little M twice was a hundred point man, I doubt Beecher will ever even come close to that but sometimes it takes some growing pains for a bigger kid to develop. After being selected 2nd overall in 63 by the Wings, he was gifted to the Habs along with the greatest hockey name ever Bart Crashley for Garry Monahan and Doug Piper, Peter's brother. Another swindle by Sam Pollock. At the very least, Beecher is maybe Mike Rupp, Play center and wing, kill penalties and wear down the other teams D. And isn't that of value as we have seen in the last couple playoffs? And Rupp has a Cup winning goal, didn't score a ton but made that one count.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've only seen him a half dozen times on TV, but with his size, skating and reach Johnny Beecher reminds me a 'little" of the Little M.

Now the Little M twice was a hundred point man, I doubt Beecher will ever even come close to that but sometimes it takes some growing pains for a bigger kid to develop. After being selected 2nd overall in 63 by the Wings, he was gifted to the Habs along with the greatest hockey name ever Bart Crashley for Garry Monahan and Doug Piper, Peter's brother. Another swindle by Sam Pollock. At the very least, Beecher is maybe Mike Rupp, Play center and wing, kill penalties and wear down the other teams D. And isn't that of value as we have seen in the last couple playoffs? And Rupp has a Cup winning goal, didn't score a ton but made that one count.

I wonder if Mahovlich scores a 100 points on today’s NHL? Nice comparison though- I want to think about our prospects in as positive a light as possible. They are the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad