Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Zboril is a goner unless BOTH Krug and Chara are gonzo...and I just don't see that happening. Even in one of them stays, I don't see Zboril beating out Gryz or Lauzon (who would need to pass through waivers as well).

As for Senyshyn, I could see the Bruins making some sort of move allowing Senyshyn to sneak onto the roster...but maybe as a 13th forward.

Now - all of that being said, IF Zboril somehow fights his way onto the roster, I would like to see him alongside Charlie for a half dozen games. While Zboril has his major warts, his best attributes pair nicely with Charlie - mobile, roving, physical D with a powerful shot.

As for Senyshyn, I actually see a slot on Coyle's RW.

Reactions: Gordoff

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Seems the only young pieces of any value in Sweeney’s hand are Pastrnak McAvoy Carlo DeBrusk. So much for the draft master title bestowed upon him

Since when has that title been bestowed upon Sweeney? He did win GM of the year...but drafting is only one aspect of the job. Also, Pastrnak wasn't even his pick, though Sweeney was masterful in negotiating his contract AND Marchand's which are by far the best value contracts in the NHL. He made a historic blunder with Zboril and Senyshyn, but the next year killed it with McAvoy, who is the top D from that draft...and in a redraft would probably be a top 5 pick. Can you imagine if Sweeney took Jake Bean as many posters here were clamoring for? I don't think the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup finals without McAvoy. Frederic and Lindgren were fine at the spots they were picked. If Vaakanainen didn't get his head scrambled by Borowiecki, I am confident he would be playing ahead of Lauzon and possibly Gryz. Speaking of Lauzon - he is a solid NHL defenseman and has value. Studnicka also has real value. Beecher should be solid as well.

You have to respect his job scouting NCAA UFA's. While Chia was GM for the Krug signing...that was Sweeney's scouting work. Acciari, Vatrano (who was lost at sea prior to being scooped up), Clifton, and now Ahcan and Fillipe are all Sweeney.

Even with his blunders, Sweeney has maintained a solid prospect pipeline while keeping a competitive roster. So many other fanbases would KILL for what the Bruins have had for the past decade. Perhaps their prospect pool is less sexy than some bottom dwelling teams out there, but there is precedent that some of these players will convert to NHL talent...and that will happen sooner than later as the core ages out.

I tell this story once in a while. During the lockout, I ran into Sweeney at a Bentley College game at that dilapidated Ryan Arena in Watertown. He was there scouting this player Brett Gensler who had put up 50 pts the season prior. The kid was a bust and Sweeney actually joked about how bad he was, but there was Sweeney...scouting...putting the time in.

Value is relative. If you are only going to talk about roster players under 25 years old, I would ask you to look at other perennial contenders and show me how many top line, top pairing kids under 25 are out there on the same squad. Even Vancouver, who are emerging RIGHT now only have four players that age

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Since when has that title been bestowed upon Sweeney? He did win GM of the year...but drafting is only one aspect of the job. Also, Pastrnak wasn't even his pick, though Sweeney was masterful in negotiating his contract AND Marchand's which are by far the best value contracts in the NHL. He made a historic blunder with Zboril and Senyshyn, but the next year killed it with McAvoy, who is the top D from that draft...and in a redraft would probably be a top 5 pick. Can you imagine if Sweeney took Jake Bean as many posters here were clamoring for? I don't think the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup finals without McAvoy. Frederic and Lindgren were fine at the spots they were picked. If Vaakanainen didn't get his head scrambled by Borowiecki, I am confident he would be playing ahead of Lauzon and possibly Gryz. Speaking of Lauzon - he is a solid NHL defenseman and has value. Studnicka also has real value. Beecher should be solid as well.

You have to respect his job scouting NCAA UFA's. While Chia was GM for the Krug signing...that was Sweeney's scouting work. Acciari, Vatrano (who was lost at sea prior to being scooped up), Clifton, and now Ahcan and Fillipe are all Sweeney.

Even with his blunders, Sweeney has maintained a solid prospect pipeline while keeping a competitive roster. So many other fanbases would KILL for what the Bruins have had for the past decade. Perhaps their prospect pool is less sexy than some bottom dwelling teams out there, but there is precedent that some of these players will convert to NHL talent...and that will happen sooner than later as the core ages out.

I tell this story once in a while. During the lockout, I ran into Sweeney at a Bentley College game at that dilapidated Ryan Arena in Watertown. He was there scouting this player Brett Gensler who had put up 50 pts the season prior. The kid was a bust and Sweeney actually joked about how bad he was, but there was Sweeney...scouting...putting the time in.

Value is relative. If you are only going to talk about roster players under 25 years old, I would ask you to look at other perennial contenders and show me how many top line, top pairing kids under 25 are out there on the same squad. Even Vancouver, who are emerging RIGHT now only have four players that age
He couldn’t have taken Jake Bean as the Canes took him at 13th overall. McAvoy was the consensus pick where they took him.

I won’t dive too deep into replying. We disagree in the quality of prospects the Bruins have in stock. Most reputable sites have the Bruins ranked somewhere between 22-28th in the league in prospect rankings. (See below)

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

While Sweeney has proved to be a good/ very good GM, he has failed in many ways. Bergeron Chara Rask Krejci Marchand window is coming to a close. Sweeney’s drafting needed to have an influx of forward prospects already playing and alleviating Bergeron core the burden of carrying the team. Or at least have prospects with some value that could be used as trade bait for real answers to the holes on this roster. You can answer McAvoy and Pastrnak, but he has far more misses than hits in the top 2 rounds

Reactions: Lo97 and Gordoff

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
He couldn’t have taken Jake Bean as the Canes took him at 13th overall. McAvoy was the consensus pick where they took him.

I won’t dive too deep into replying. We disagree in the quality of prospects the Bruins have in stock. Most reputable sites have the Bruins ranked somewhere between 22-28th in the league in prospect rankings. (See below)

While Sweeney has proved to be a good/ very good GM, he has failed in many ways. Bergeron Chara Rask Krejci Marchand window is coming to a close. Sweeney’s drafting needed to have an influx of forward prospects already playing and alleviating Bergeron core the burden of carrying the team. Or at least have prospects with some value that could be used as trade bait for real answers to the holes on this roster. You can answer McAvoy and Pastrnak, but he has far more misses than hits in the top 2 rounds

Alright, I won't dive too deep. No one that I know of has ever dubbed Sweeney a master of the draft - and yet that is what you refer to in your OP. He has had high highs and low lows at the podium.

I don't think I overvalue our prospect base...I just see things as they are. Corey Pronman as the B's as the 23rd ranked organization in terms of prospects. Not bad for a team that has been top 4 in the NHL since soon after Sweeney took office. If you are winning, chances are you are not getting top tier talent at the draft.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Sweeney has been at the helm for five drafts, and a sixth about to happen. I am not sure he is any better or worse than any other GM in the crap shoot that is the draft. If you leave out the 2015 flub (and we are talking one horrid decision, really) has he been awful at it? If you take any team over five seasons and look at their draft records it is all works out pretty even. Some hits, some busts, so stupid moves, some brilliant ones. On the Bruins roster and in the system from Sweeney's tenure at the draft table:

McAvoy, Carlo, JDB, Lauzon, so four regular NHLers. Studnicka, Zboril, and Vaakanainen are all on the cusp, Studnicka closer than anyone else. Senyshyn is still in the mix to be an NHL regular at least in the bottom 6. And then you start talking about a bunch of players who were drafted in the last two-three drafts and it is really unreasonable to expect to know what will become of these guys down the line: Swayman, Frederic, Beecher, Lauko and so forth.

It doesn't really look that awful from my viewing. If we get past the "OMG he missed on Barzal so he sucks!!!" kind of thinking, it isn't that bleak. Go down the rosters of all NHL teams and see how many have homegrown guys playing regular roles that are five years or less from their draft years. Bruins do not look out of balance with the league as a whole here.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Alright, I won't dive too deep. No one that I know of has ever dubbed Sweeney a master of the draft - and yet that is what you refer to in your OP. He has had high highs and low lows at the podium.

I don't think I overvalue our prospect base...I just see things as they are. Corey Pronman as the B's as the 23rd ranked organization in terms of prospects. Not bad for a team that has been top 4 in the NHL since soon after Sweeney took office. If you are winning, chances are you are not getting top tier talent at the draft.
Not you specifically but many here overhype the B’s prospects. Some even still defend Senyshyn as a 15 overall.

While most contending teams are almost regularly moving their 1st round picks out at the trade deadline, Sweeney has only on occasion. And Sweeney has the advantage of acquiring early round picks when moving Lucic and Martin Jones etc. I think he’s had some big swing & misses.

It’s fair to suggest had Sweeney just not reached off the board on Senyshyn in the 2015 draft this franchise would be in much better shape today. Connor/ Chabot/ Barzal/ Svechnikov/ White/ Konecny/ Boeser.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Sweeney has been at the helm for five drafts, and a sixth about to happen. I am not sure he is any better or worse than any other GM in the crap shoot that is the draft. If you leave out the 2015 flub (and we are talking one horrid decision, really) has he been awful at it? If you take any team over five seasons and look at their draft records it is all works out pretty even. Some hits, some busts, so stupid moves, some brilliant ones. On the Bruins roster and in the system from Sweeney's tenure at the draft table:

McAvoy, Carlo, JDB, Lauzon, so four regular NHLers. Studnicka, Zboril, and Vaakanainen are all on the cusp, Studnicka closer than anyone else. Senyshyn is still in the mix to be an NHL regular at least in the bottom 6. And then you start talking about a bunch of players who were drafted in the last two-three drafts and it is really unreasonable to expect to know what will become of these guys down the line: Swayman, Frederic, Beecher, Lauko and so forth.

It doesn't really look that awful from my viewing. If we get past the "OMG he missed on Barzal so he sucks!!!" kind of thinking, it isn't that bleak. Go down the rosters of all NHL teams and see how many have homegrown guys playing regular roles that are five years or less from their draft years. Bruins do not look out of balance with the league as a whole here.
Fair assessment. However Lauzon is 23 years old with 35 NHL games under his belt. That doesn’t qualify as NHL regular.

Unfortunately 2015 happened. It can’t be erased. It’s on his record.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Sorry MacKinnon’s deal and it isn’t even close

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Fair assessment. However Lauzon is 23 years old with 35 NHL games under his belt. That doesn’t qualify as NHL regular.

Okay, perhaps it is a reach with Lauzon just a bit, but I think he is up to stay and will play regular minutes next season. Even without him in the list, if you compare what other NHL teams have on their rosters for players that they drafted and developed since 2015, Boston doesn't look bad. Philadelphia has I think five, for example. It would be more work than I want to do to go through every single team, but I think it would roughly bear out. Some teams, especially weaker ones or teams in a rebuild will look a bit different.

As for missing on Voldemort, okay, fine, and it does form a part of Sweeney's resume, but it should not be used as a reason to claim that he has done poorly drafting in general. He did poorly in that one instance, very poorly in fact, but the overall record is not bad at all.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

If you remove 2015 his drafting record in other drafts is actually pretty good vs. BPA at the slots they picked. Not making excuses but that is true and the key question to be asked is WTF happened in 2015 and what trigged a change to be more effective from 16 and onward - blind luck or something deeper. If the latter, then he deserves a bit more credit than you are giving and at least learned fast to improve.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Sorry MacKinnon’s deal and it isn’t even close

Not even close? Pasta just won the Maurice Richard alongside the greatest goal scorer of our generation. Even more startling is that Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron combine for less than $21M. So, sure, as a single player one can certainly make the case for McKinnon, but when you factor in Marchand (and Bergeron) it is over the top. Had Rantanen signed for McKinnon money...I would concede. This is about Sweeney making deals.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

2016 NHL Draft Consensus Rankings

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Not even close? Pasta just won the Maurice Richard alongside the greatest goal scorer of our generation. Even more startling is that Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron combine for less than $21M. So, sure, as a single player one can certainly make the case for McKinnon, but when you factor in Marchand (and Bergeron) it is over the top. Had Rantanen signed for McKinnon money...I would concede. This is about Sweeney making deals.
You said best deals. McKinnon is the best period. I do agree Sweeney has been great at signing guys to good deals.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Get the socially distanced duck boats ready
If they want to find out about Senyshyn set up him to succeed pair him on third line with Coyle

he played in Montreal a tough place and played very well

his style goes well with Coyle

member 96824

If they want to find out about Senyshyn set up him to succeed pair him on third line with Coyle

he played in Montreal a tough place and played very well

his style goes well with Coyle

I’m sure Don’s just talking about camp there, but if he’s really saying those are the front runners and our middle 6 right side is Kase and Senyshyn, I think we have more questions than answers personally. I would love love love to be wrong about Senyshyn though.

3 years ago sure roll the dice with 3 kids in the lineup, hell even if we had a normal length offseason where kids could develop over the summer I’d be a little more open minded to the idea of icing a cup winning team with those 3 all having spots, but right now if that’s the plan than I think Neely’s “hard look in the mirror” comment might have more drastic implications than we think. Which is fine BTW. I’m okay with that direction if the alternative is letting UFAs walk like Krug and being in an even worse spot a year to two years from now.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m sure Don’s just talking about camp there, but if he’s really saying those are the front runners and our middle 6 right side is Kase and Senyshyn, I think we have more questions than answers personally. I would love love love to be wrong about Senyshyn though.

3 years ago sure roll the dice with 3 kids in the lineup, hell even if we had a normal length offseason where kids could develop over the summer I’d be a little more open minded to the idea of icing a cup winning team with those 3 all having spots, but right now if that’s the plan than I think Neely’s “hard look in the mirror” comment might have more drastic implications than we think. Which is fine BTW. I’m okay with that direction if the alternative is letting UFAs walk like Krug and being in an even worse spot a year to two years from now.
I here yah but I can’t get out of my head sitting at the Cup Finals and my kid asking me who’s that ? and looking up Billy Blais or whatever his name was and he was on second line

member 96824

I here yah but I can’t get out of my head sitting at the Cup Finals and my kid asking me who’s that ? and looking up Billy Blais or whatever his name was and he was on second line

True, but Blais had a ton of success at the AHL level too. For example, his rookie AHL season he had 26 goals in addition to that beat and bang style he plays. Senyshyn on his AHL career approaching 200 games, has 33.

I think Studnicka will definitely be that "where did he come from?" guy for a lot of non-B's fans. Not a ton of fanfare on the top 50 prospects lists, WJC but on that incredibly disappointing '18-19 Canada team, great O career if you were paying attention but not a loud 100 point type season. I'm excited to unleash him on the league.

The other two....well...I hope they pan out.

Reactions: Number6 and HustleB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad