Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XI - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
how is Frederic who was a first round pick possibly considered a sleeper?
I don’t think he was on the list

when you get to 30 you look at your blueprint and you see a player who meets it you draft the guy

they had just used 4 high picks the previous 24 months on projected scoring wingers - Pastrnak, Donato, DeBrusk, and Senyshyn.

they were in the market for a big physical defensive-based third line center.

I whined the entire way back to the car they didn’t draft Debrincat or Lindgren but in hindsight I know what they were doing.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My biggest issue is they always draft guys that are either massive projects or low upside guys or both. Frederic 1. Needed to find offense. And 2. Learn how to skate. And if he could do that then maybe he could have been a 3rd liner. All these question marks that lead to marginal talent to begin with. Senyshyn just needed to learn to pass play defense handle the puck and grow a brain and he’d be danny paille. Waste of time.
So you got Frederic & Senyshyn as massive busts. Will be if you are right on one, both, or neither

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Guys, let the data speak for itself. Senyshyn is .5 pts per game, 57% corsi and 106.5 PDO in his career. He's the next f'ing Modano.
Hockey is my third sport - no idea what these acronyms mean as related to hockey ~ what’s PDO mean. Heck what does Corsi mean other then anyone who trots that out wins any argument. I’m assuming it’s bad for Senyshyn

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Hockey is my third sport - no idea what these acronyms mean as related to hockey ~ what’s PDO mean. Heck what does Corsi mean other then anyone who trots that out wins any argument

I literally have no idea what PDO means, but apparently if the number is high, you are enjoying a lot of puck luck. If the number is low, you are snakebitten and probably a lot better than your stats indicate. CORSI is a possession stat.

Anyways, I posted in jest - but those are real stats and if you were looking at him for the first time with zero prior context, you would actually be pretty excited about him. Unfortunately...the context...is like...beyond sanity.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I always love high energy guys who can score. They need to be gritty and not afraid to be hit. I don’t care about size. I hate when guys like Gallanger Point, Johnny hockey and the likes get drafted later and they say it was because of size. You mean like Marchand? Team toughness isn’t what it use to be. Winning corner battles is what matters. Putting the puck in the net matters. Look at Tampa’s philosophy. Guys with skill and energy with some offensive abilities.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I literally have no idea what PDO means, but apparently if the number is high, you are enjoying a lot of puck luck. If the number is low, you are snakebitten and probably a lot better than your stats indicate. CORSI is a possession stat.

Anyways, I posted in jest - but those are real stats and if you were looking at him for the first time with zero prior context, you would actually be pretty excited about him. Unfortunately...the context...is like...beyond sanity.
I’m interested if the Bruins are even at the Cap

if they aren’t we can forget about everyone from Hall to OEL or is it ELO

Then we get 5 of 6 of the 2015 draft class in the lineup

Reactions: WestCoastBruinsFan

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I always love high energy guys who can score. They need to be gritty and not afraid to be hit. I don’t care about size. I hate when guys like Gallanger Point, Johnny hockey and the likes get drafted later and they say it was because of size. You mean like Marchand? Team toughness isn’t what it use to be. Winning corner battles is what matters. Putting the puck in the net matters. Look at Tampa’s philosophy. Guys with skill and energy with some offensive abilities.
Yeah like Coleman, Maroon, Goodrow, Paquette,...all candidates for the lady Byng.

Grit, toughness and some attitude are still needed, desperately in Boston where they have very, very little

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My biggest issue is they always draft guys that are either massive projects or low upside guys or both. Frederic 1. Needed to find offense. And 2. Learn how to skate. And if he could do that then maybe he could have been a 3rd liner. All these question marks that lead to marginal talent to begin with. Senyshyn just needed to learn to pass play defense handle the puck and grow a brain and he’d be danny paille. Waste of time.

The other issue IMO with drafting so many raw athletic project guys is how long they take to contribute to the parent club. Take Senyshyn for example. Even if he does pan out this coming year and becomes an NHL player (and I think he has a shot, but it's probably his last one in Boston), the Bruins got essentially no payoff from that pick until his 6th season post draft. Frederic if he doesn't make it this year (and with the shear number of guys needing waivers he's up against it) but breaks in next year that's another guy who you didn't get any production out of until his 6th season post-draft.

Joe Colbourne is another example of that raw project type. It was Season 6 post draft before he really made it to the NHL with Calgary.

If Beecher is on the same projectory as Senyshyn and Frederic, the Bruins won't get squat out of him until 2024 or 2025.

So those picks don't becomes complete busts, the eventually end up NHL players, but man, in a cap system how many 1st rounders/2nd rounders can you afford to not get anything out of until 5-6 seasons post-draft?

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Oh I agree 100%
Yeah like Coleman, Maroon, Goodrow, Paquette,...all candidates for the lady Byng.

Grit, toughness and some attitude are still needed, desperately in Boston where they have very, very little
oh I agree 100%. I was thinking more of the draft and the type of top 6 or 9 needed. We also need the kind of guys you mentioned in a big way both up front and on the D

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Most of our prospects have low hockey IQ

We need to start drafting high skilled high IQ players
This is the unknown when you scout and draft.
If it was that easy all teams would have high "IQ" players.
I coached kids rep hockey for many years and kept the scouting for the players I was interested in very basic. The players that " stood out" during a game where the one's I wanted, IE either by back checking, making a nice pass, skating to the open ice in the offensive zone, taking the body at the right time, etc.
Sometimes scouts over evaluate players, this could be one of the issues we have.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Well he’s supposed to be a good kid with size and speed and character

“Your talent sets your floor. Your character sets your ceiling.” – Bill Belichick

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So you got Frederic & Senyshyn as massive busts. Will be if you are right on one, both, or neither

Ive got both of them not being consistent top 6 forwards. If one day one or both of them figure a way to contribute similarly to sean kuralys level of production then they are still disappointing picks. 1st rounders need to be top flight players not role players.

but regardless if i had to pick if frederic and senyshyn would even be nhl regulars in any capacity or not, i would say not. And i pretty much have since each of their draft +3 seasons.

Reactions: Lo97

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ive got both of them not being consistent top 6 forwards. If one day one or both of them figure a way to contribute similarly to sean kuralys level of production then they are still disappointing picks. 1st rounders need to be top flight players not role players.

but regardless if i had to pick if frederic and senyshyn would even be nhl regulars in any capacity or not, i would say not. And i pretty much have since each of their draft +3 seasons.
There 3 forwards drafted after Frederic that I believe have even played 35 games - Sam Steel the pick after at 30, DeBrincat early in the 2nd & Jesper Brat of NJ I think in round 5 or 6 ~ it’s still early Enough for that entire draft class

only DeBrincat has put up numbers

Frederic I think has a specific spot on this team and has developed nicely

tough to spot Senyshyn based on stats however he certainly looks better live and that game in Montreal with Coyle he was very good / maybe that’s it for him but if you can do something once it’s possible - and they were plays not just shots or tips

we all want him to succeed

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There 3 forwards drafted after Frederic that I believe have even played 35 games - Sam Steel the pick after at 30, DeBrincat early in the 2nd & Jesper Brat of NJ I think in round 5 or 6 ~ it’s still early Enough for that entire draft class

only DeBrincat has put up numbers

Frederic I think has a specific spot on this team and has developed nicely

tough to spot Senyshyn based on stats however he certainly looks better live and that game in Montreal with Coyle he was very good / maybe that’s it for him but if you can do something once it’s possible - and they were plays not just shots or tips

we all want him to succeed

Well, most of us do, anyway.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I look at the #12 pick Denis Gurianov of the "draft". Dallas developed him slowly and it is paying off. I would like to see Seny, Zboril and Trent get some real on ice time that was gifted to Donato and lets see if they have it or not and be done with it.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I like the Gurianov comparison to Seny. He isn't an extremely smart or dynamic player...but he excels in the power forward role. His hands are good enough to maintain possession as he drives to the net and he has a good shot. Sound familiar? Senyshyn has all of those tools. I just wonder if he has the brains to allow him to get open.

As Bruins Network has said, there were times this year in Prov where he looked like the best player on the ice for either team. He just needs to bottle that. In fact, he has no choice unless he wants to get scooped up on waivers.

As for Frederic, I truly think he will be fine. He IS smart, has a shot and "truculence"...he just doesn't have top-end speed/quickness.

Zboril...to me, I think you give him a shot next to Charlie to start the season. He is quintessential roving physical D. He might not be able to hang against top lines night in and out, but you gotta test him out. When he wants to, he clears the crease like Nick Boynton.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The other issue IMO with drafting so many raw athletic project guys is how long they take to contribute to the parent club. Take Senyshyn for example. Even if he does pan out this coming year and becomes an NHL player (and I think he has a shot, but it's probably his last one in Boston), the Bruins got essentially no payoff from that pick until his 6th season post draft. Frederic if he doesn't make it this year (and with the shear number of guys needing waivers he's up against it) but breaks in next year that's another guy who you didn't get any production out of until his 6th season post-draft.

Joe Colbourne is another example of that raw project type. It was Season 6 post draft before he really made it to the NHL with Calgary.

If Beecher is on the same projectory as Senyshyn and Frederic, the Bruins won't get squat out of him until 2024 or 2025.

So those picks don't becomes complete busts, the eventually end up NHL players, but man, in a cap system how many 1st rounders/2nd rounders can you afford to not get anything out of until 5-6 seasons post-draft?
I get everyone’s upset with some of the picks. They haven’t been great. They do have a few projects, but when they were picking, they were in a position of strength. In that the team was contending and they had some prospects already in the pipe line. Some of them, I think they expected them to take longer and was planned. Now, is that a sound plan remains to be seen. This year is the year most of them should be on the big team IMO.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I get everyone’s upset with some of the picks. They haven’t been great. They do have a few projects, but when they were picking, they were in a position of strength. In that the team was contending and they had some prospects already in the pipe line. Some of them, I think they expected them to take longer and was planned. Now, is that a sound plan remains to be seen. This year is the year most of them should be on the big team IMO.

It hurts for sure that some of the guys they probably expected to step in earlier haven't. I think they expected Frederic to be further along for example. Clearly they didn't think Senyshyn or Zboril would still be AHLers here half a decade later, even though one or both may be on the team this year. There needs to be a balance, but this is an issue that goes back quite a few years, long before even the Chiarelli regime.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
As for Frederic, I truly think he will be fine. He IS smart, has a shot and "truculence"...he just doesn't have top-end speed/quickness.
I think Fredric's top end speed is fine. It just takes him forever to ramp it up, or at least it did when I last saw him in 2019.

The big problem is his shot has gone into the toilet. If they've got an actual organist at the Dunk, he's in danger, much like the organist from Slapshot, whenever Fredric takes the ice. This shooting degradation appears to happen to nearly everyone who spends more than one season in Providence, and I couldn't even begin to tell you why.

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I think Fredric's top end speed is fine. It just takes him forever to ramp it up, or at least it did when I last saw him in 2019.

The big problem is his shot has gone into the toilet. If they've got an actual organist at the Dunk, he's in danger, much like the organist from Slapshot, whenever Fredric takes the ice. This shooting degradation appears to happen to nearly everyone who spends more than one season in Providence, and I couldn't even begin to tell you why.

That's so weird. Where did his shot go? He used to have a great wrister shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad