Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think you read my post wrong. Dan seems to think Clifton is a better skating Kevan Miller and followed up the point that Miller put up points in the AHL and has produced at the NHL. While Clifton doesn't have any NHL points yet, he's produced at a much higher rate in the AHL than Kevan Miller. My point was that Clifton has more offensive upside and doesn't play a similar game to Miller.

I was also showing that Miller wasn't a producer of much offense in the NHL, nor has he done it in the NHL (since Dan made a comment about him producing offense in both leagues).

Dan then asks if Clifton is on a McAvoy level (assuming on offense) which appears to me to be on the other side of the spectrum and a question that didn't really need to be asked because no, he's not even close to a McAvoy level (once again, assuming offensively) -- Granted he's not on any level of McAvoy offensively or defensively.

At the end of the day, Clifton is Clifton. Its hard to really pinpoint an NHL comparable.

If you merged Kevan Miller and Andrew Ference, you'd get Clifton.

Plays a heavy game and loves to hit like Miller, but has the size skating and offense of Ference.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I am guessing that he’s assuming because of his size that he will move to the wing?

He was awesome at the last Development Camp, but I can’t remember if he played center or wing the day I was there?
I also saw him at Training Camp and was impressed. Didn’t see enough of him in game action to conclude one way or another. That’s why I questioned Joe insistence that he’ll be a RW only. Maybe he’s been streaming his Farjsted games.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I also saw him at Training Camp and was impressed. Didn’t see enough of him in game action to conclude one way or another. That’s why I questioned Joe insistence that he’ll be a RW only. Maybe he’s been streaming his Farjsted games.

Sorry about that, benefit and problem of having a great memory is sometimes knowing you read something once in the past, and it can be much harder to find attribution than to remember the quote (really sucked when I would go through magazines from 3 to 4 years earlier to find a quote)

Hadn't had time with work this week to find it, but finally was able to find a quote which might be the one I was thinking of. Not absolutely definitive, no chance, but here is quote from Jamie Langenbrunner

They Said It: A Development Camp Scouting Report

Langenbrunner: "I see him as a winger more. It's very hard to play at his size in the middle. He's a smaller kid, but he's strong and he's good on the wall. I've very little seen him play center, to be honest with you, especially in the USHL. He's definitely a wing there with the men there.

Strange quote in some ways (USHL what?), but one thing it does call our (and we have seen with guys like Czarnik. And it has shown in some of there draft picks. This org really believes it is difficult to be an undersized center in this league

Reactions: CDJ

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sorry about that, benefit and problem of having a great memory is sometimes knowing you read something once in the past, and it can be much harder to find attribution than to remember the quote (really sucked when I would go through magazines from 3 to 4 years earlier to find a quote)

Hadn't had time with work this week to find it, but finally was able to find a quote which might be the one I was thinking of. Not absolutely definitive, no chance, but here is quote from Jamie Langenbrunner

Strange quote in some ways (USHL what?), but one thing it does call our (and we have seen with guys like Czarnik. And it has shown in some of there draft picks. This org really believes it is difficult to be an undersized center in this league

Yeah, I don’t get that quote at all from Langenbrunner? I mean, I understand what he’s saying about his size, but the kid has been in Sweden his whole hockey career? “USHL what” exactly.

I was trying to think of any successful undersized centers in the NHL. The guy that immediately came to mind was Tyler Johnson (strictly from a size standpoint). Brayden Point and Alexander Kerfoot also are small, but bigger than T.J.

In year’s past, I would say there was no way Steen could play C, but in today’s NHL, who knows? From the little I have seen of him, he does have elite skating skills and hands, very reminiscent of Marchand, but not as nasty.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if he misspoke or it was transcribed incorrectly. Definitely meant SHL.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Never heard of him. When did we get him?

As TM said, this week. I don’t know much about him, but here’s an interview from when he was with the Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) last year and also an article about when he committed to Ferris State. The only thing I found a little odd was that the commitment was in 2016-17 and instead of going to Ferris last season, he spent a year in the BCHL. Only thing I could think of was it might be a “grades issue”?

Odessa defenseman Zech makes NCAA DI commitment

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
As TM said, this week. I don’t know much about him, but here’s an interview from when he was with the Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) last year and also an article about when he committed to Ferris State. The only thing I found a little odd was that the commitment was in 2016-17 and instead of going to Ferris last season, he spent a year in the BCHL. Only thing I could think of was it might be a “grades issue”?

Isn't it a scholarship thing?

A lot of players (Dustyn McFaul is another one) have a year to fill in from when they committed to when their NCAA career begins. Many of them choose to spend that year in the USHL, but some stay in their Junior A leagues In Canada - Zech in the BCHL and McFaul in the OJHL.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Yeah, I don’t get that quote at all from Langenbrunner? I mean, I understand what he’s saying about his size, but the kid has been in Sweden his whole hockey career? “USHL what” exactly.

I was trying to think of any successful undersized centers in the NHL. The guy that immediately came to mind was Tyler Johnson (strictly from a size standpoint). Brayden Point and Alexander Kerfoot also are small, but bigger than T.J.

In year’s past, I would say there was no way Steen could play C, but in today’s NHL, who knows? From the little I have seen of him, he does have elite skating skills and hands, very reminiscent of Marchand, but not as nasty.

It was a misquote from langenbrunner. He either said or meant to say SHL.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Isn't it a scholarship thing?

A lot of players (Dustyn McFaul is another one) have a year to fill in from when they committed to when their NCAA career begins. Many of them choose to spend that year in the USHL, but some stay in their Junior A leagues In Canada - Zech in the BCHL and McFaul in the OJHL.

It could be? Players that play for “minor junior” (think that’s the right term) programs in leagues like the BCHL and OJHL are still NCAA eligible. Both players were eligible to attend college from an age perspective, but maybe the coaches thought they could use another year of seasoning? It also could have something to do with the nunber of scholarships available in a given year?

I get all of that. What I didn’t understand was why Zech would go from the NAHL to the USHL for half a season and then jump from the USHL to the BCHL for a year? In McFaul’s case, he stayed with the same OJHL organization (Pickering) both years, which would seem to be the norm. Was just wondering aloud why Zech didn’t stay with Muskegon?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

i know a lot of comparisons to Krug in terms of game, but certainly not physically. Physically looks more like young Gryz. Krug from the time of signing with the Bruins on was always extremely jacked in the upper body. Like basically you could tell that when not on the ice, he lived in the weight room

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i know a lot of comparisons to Krug in terms of game, but certainly not physically. Physically looks more like young Gryz. Krug from the time of signing with the Bruins on was always extremely jacked in the upper body. Like basically you could tell that when not on the ice, he lived in the weight room

When I read the description of his game and how opponents get frustrated by his speed and “slipperiness”, my first thought was Grizz. Hopefully, he develops as well.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It could be? Players that play for “minor junior” (think that’s the right term) programs in leagues like the BCHL and OJHL are still NCAA eligible. Both players were eligible to attend college from an age perspective, but maybe the coaches thought they could use another year of seasoning? It also could have something to do with the nunber of scholarships available in a given year?

I get all of that. What I didn’t understand was why Zech would go from the NAHL to the USHL for half a season and then jump from the USHL to the BCHL for a year? In McFaul’s case, he stayed with the same OJHL organization (Pickering) both years, which would seem to be the norm. Was just wondering aloud why Zech didn’t stay with Muskegon?

Major Junior (CHL)
Junior A (CJHL, OJHL, BCHL etc)
Junior B
Junior C

Yes, I think it's more what you mention then it is grades.

The switch from USHL to BCHL or OJHL and vice-versa is not uncommon. Lot's of things come into play such as opportunity to play.

It was obvious in his season with Muskegon that the opportunities and ice time wasn't happening and he had to take that into account personally. He was entering his draft year and he had to put himself first.

His advisor found him a spot with Wenatchee and the rest is history. He didn't get drafted after winning several awards and leading the squad to the BCHL and CJHL Championships.

His season however did get him an invite to the Caps summer development camp. They were impressed by him. We're lucky that he chose the Bruins org over the Caps.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

The names have changed over the years. The correct term is Junior 'A' , for a long time it was just referred to as Tier 2. Dom has the correct break down above. Junior A was always the top league but now it is known as Major Junior. I know the BCHL sends a lot of players to the NCAA, pretty much the hotbed, so there is a lot of College committed players. Couple years ago Fabbro and Cholowski were going head to head.

Winning the RBC Cup (Canadian Junior Hockey League) title is probably the hardest trophy in hockey, 10 leagues coast to coast and around 120 teams. Maybe whoever was advising him or the college themselves guided him that route for whatever reason. Have to ask a family member who would have seen him first hand or have knowledge on why players may take that route. Next to Major Junior, The BCHL is considered to have the best junior hockey in Canada.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The names have changed over the years. The correct term is Junior 'A' , for a long time it was just referred to as Tier 2. Dom has the correct break down above. Junior A was always the top league but now it is known as Major Junior. I know the BCHL sends a lot of players to the NCAA, pretty much the hotbed, so there is a lot of College committed players. Couple years ago Fabbro and Cholowski were going head to head.

Winning the 'Canadian Junior Hockey League' title is probably the hardest trophy in hockey, 10 leagues coast to coast and around 120 teams. Maybe whoever was advising him or the college themselves guided him that route for whatever reason. Have to ask a family member who would have seen him first hand or have knowledge on why players may take that route. Next to Major Junior it is considered the best hockey league in Canada.

Really enjoying the amount of Junior hockey I`m getting to watch here, been to 3 BCHL games and probably a dozen WHL games, very different game out here, play with far more physicality. Seen many men with clip boards at the BCHL games.

Reactions: FanSince72

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Really enjoying the amount of Junior hockey I`m getting to watch here, been to 3 BCHL games and probably a dozen WHL games, very different game out here, play with far more physicality. Seen many men with clip boards at the BCHL games.
It is really good hockey. They tend to have older teens in that league, can be said of some junior 'B' teams. The ones that are not going anywhere, get out of the rat race in Major Junior and settle for maybe scholarships or in some cases some are tempted for other reasons. My nephew played and coached that level out East, in Ontario, Alberta, Sask and BC. My parents raised my nephew, so he was more of a brother to me. His BC team would recruit US born players. One huge game they lost out to a team with 16 committed players and 3 NHL drafted.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It is really good hockey. They tend to have older teens in that league, can be said of some junior 'B' teams. The ones that are not going anywhere, get out of the rat race in Major Junior and settle for maybe scholarships or in some cases some are tempted for other reasons. My nephew played and coached that level out East, in Ontario, Alberta, Sask and BC. My parents raised my nephew, so he was more of a brother to me. His BC team would recruit US born players. One huge game they lost out to a team with 16 committed players and 3 NHL drafted.

In Ontario, the GOJHL (Junior B) is much better hockey then the OJHL (Junior A) and over the decades has had some future NHL superstars come through it. However, the BCHL is on a different level then all the other Junior A leagues.

Some people believe that if the NCAA didn't consider Major Juniors professionals and then eligible to play college hockey that we wouldn't need all these leagues. I beg to differ. There just wouldn't be enough leagues for all the players.

One thing is for certain, if you are an NHL scout, you better be in a rink 6 days a week to look at these players. And you better have more then one scout in a territory. Makes me wonder how the Bruins survived with just one scout each in Ontario and Quebec under the Chiarelli years. Now they have 4 with crossovers. Would they have ever found a Dustyn McFaul pre Sweeney?

I doubt it.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
In Ontario, the GOJHL (Junior B) is much better hockey then the OJHL (Junior A) and over the decades has had some future NHL superstars come through it. However, the BCHL is on a different level then all the other Junior A leagues.

Some people believe that if the NCAA didn't consider Major Juniors professionals and then eligible to play college hockey that we wouldn't need all these leagues. I beg to differ. There just wouldn't be enough leagues for all the players.

One thing is for certain, if you are an NHL scout, you better be in a rink 6 days a week to look at these players. And you better have more then one scout in a territory. Makes me wonder how the Bruins survived with just one scout each in Ontario and Quebec under the Chiarelli years. Now they have 4 with crossovers. Would they have ever found a Dustyn McFaul pre Sweeney?

I doubt it.

Yes you are right on about the Ontario League, basically Junior B. I played in a few Men's leagues with ex Junior B and Major players and when the topic came up about Tier 2 (back then) it got ugly.

The Golden Horseshoe league has had some power houses with Niagara Falls and St Kitts over the years and back in the 80s and 90s with Welland and Hamilton, those games were very good and the communities were involved, gave local kids the highest level they would see and play at. They have Hamilton back in the fold and finally got rid of those Buffalo teams, some of those scores were Football games.

The Niagara Icedogs coming in has taken away some of the support sadly. Brock is finally getting its due. There is a lot of competition in this area, even a Senior team in Thorold, not this year but there is Stoney Creek. Buffalo is of no interest to me as they are the only close team in the OJHL. Then there is The Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League. Not interested in that league.

Bruins are on the right path bow scouting the lower leagues, that turns up guys like Heinen, Fabbro and Cholowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad