Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I hope Steen gives us at least half of what Johnny Gaudreau gives Calgary. That would be wicked awesome!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I hope Steen gives us at least half of what Johnny Gaudreau gives Calgary. That would be wicked awesome!
What is the correlation between the two?

I am guessing this is a reference to Gaudreau being a 4th round pick which implicitly means that we should have projected his growth and taken him ahead of the guys we did draft. Am I close?

Reactions: ThomasJ13

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What is the correlation between the two?

I am guessing this is a reference to Gaudreau being a 4th round pick which implicitly means that we should have projected his growth and taken him ahead of the guys we did draft. Am I close?

Well I guess the comparison is that they are similarly sized players, where the biggest question on them has always been size. I tend to believe that Steen is far more tank like in his build than Gadreau, but the heights are similar.

Reactions: HustleB

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Well I guess the comparison is that they are similarly sized players, where the biggest question on them has always been size. I tend to believe that Steen is far more tank like in his build than Gadreau, but the heights are similar.

It’s almost needless to say that Gaudreau and Steen are incomparable aside from their height.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Steen is my favorite prospect on Boston in terms of how good I think he could be. I see a right shot Jake debrusk in his game

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Steen and Studnicka are two prospects I hope the Bruins can bring in as soon as they think they are ready. People have been talking up guys like JFK, Fitzgerald, Bjork, Blidh, Senyshyn and what have you for years. And while those players have the potential to be decent to good NHLers, I think Steen and Studnicka are the real deal as far as forward prospects go.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Does anyone think there might be a prospect that the Bruins might sign to a contract and give them a look this season?

I don’t personally, at least not out of any players Boston currently has. Could they sign a college free agent and give them a couple games as an incentive to sign? Sure. But they really only have done that in the past for college players that are leveraging free agency into a shorter elc.

They wouldn’t waive a year of studnickas elc for no reason besides to look at him. I think there isn’t a prospect in the system that could step right in and make a significant impact over someone else currently in the lineup. Studnicka and steen have had good years.

As I write this I’m thinking maybe steen could leverage his time in Sweden into getting a couple games with Boston if he threatens to stay in Sweden another year and Boston wants him for next season in the system. Final answer is probably no but maybe steen

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I don’t personally, at least not out of any players Boston currently has. Could they sign a college free agent and give them a couple games as an incentive to sign? Sure. But they really only have done that in the past for college players that are leveraging free agency into a shorter elc.

They wouldn’t waive a year of studnickas elc for no reason besides to look at him. I think there isn’t a prospect in the system that could step right in and make a significant impact over someone else currently in the lineup. Studnicka and steen have had good years.

As I write this I’m thinking maybe steen could leverage his time in Sweden into getting a couple games with Boston if he threatens to stay in Sweden another year and Boston wants him for next season in the system. Final answer is probably no but maybe steen
Thanks for the info

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Side note on steen, does anyone know how tall he is? He’s listed at 5-9 on some sites but on the shl site he’s 5-7.5.

Also same question with senyshyn? I was under the impression he was a power forward in the mold of Kreider but Kreider is like 6-3/6-4 220 pounds and senyshyn is listed at 6-1 190 which is basically like Marcus Johansson size

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Side note on steen, does anyone know how tall he is? He’s listed at 5-9 on some sites but on the shl site he’s 5-7.5.

Also same question with senyshyn? I was under the impression he was a power forward in the mold of Kreider but Kreider is like 6-3/6-4 220 pounds and senyshyn is listed at 6-1 190 which is basically like Marcus Johansson size

Hockeydb has senyshyn as 6-3 196

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Hockeydb has senyshyn as 6-3 196

The providence bruins has him at 6-1 192. Wikipedia has him at 6-2. Elite prospects has him at 6-1. It’s just strange that it happens so often where different sites will range 2 inches which is a pretty significant amount. 6-3 196 is a legit power forward. 6-1 192 isn’t.

How to know what’s right

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
For those who asked (I can't seem to quote from the previous, closed thread), yes, Steen is an Axelsson special.

"Axelsson, according to assistant general manager Scott Bradley, “banged the table’’ when Steen was still available in the sixth round of this year’s draft in Buffalo. All of which was news to Steen, who called it “my life’s dream’’ to be drafted by an NHL team."

Source from 2016: Bruins prospect Oskar Steen learning the ropes - The Boston Globe

Personally, his size, skill, and temperament remind me of Marchand, especially after watching him at last year's WJC with some questionably dirty plays. I hate to make that comparison though because Gabrielle was the last kid tagged as the next Marchand and he has since fizzled out.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
For those who asked (I can't seem to quote from the previous, closed thread), yes, Steen is an Axelsson special.

"Axelsson, according to assistant general manager Scott Bradley, “banged the table’’ when Steen was still available in the sixth round of this year’s draft in Buffalo. All of which was news to Steen, who called it “my life’s dream’’ to be drafted by an NHL team."

Source from 2016: Bruins prospect Oskar Steen learning the ropes - The Boston Globe

Personally, his size, skill, and temperament remind me of Marchand, especially after watching him at last year's WJC with some questionably dirty plays. I hate to make that comparison though because Gabrielle was the last kid tagged as the next Marchand and he has since fizzled out.

Yea that was me- thanks for that; I thought I remember he was one of PJ's guys who he really believed in. Axe seems to have an eye for later round talent.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I don't think it sends the right message to promote a guy who puts up mediocre numbers only because of his draft status. If he's good enough he'll outplay those around him and earn his place in Boston.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think he’s basically Erik Cole. You don’t want him to be the guy driving the line but if you have a center with talent then Senyshyn’s tools (size, speed, finishing ability) can be taken advantage of

I’d probably still use Kuhlman on the big club right now though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad