Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
lauko got hosed, not even on the all-star team despite leading tourney in points.
and how does teasdale win MVP but not get on the team? bizarre.

2019 Memorial Cup All-Star Team:

Goaltender – Alexis Gravel (Halifax Mooseheads)
Defence – Sean Durzi (Guelph Storm)
Defence – Noah Dobson (Rouyn-Noranda Huskies)
Forward – Isaac Ratcliffe (Guelph Storm)
Forward – Félix Bibeau (Rouyn-Noranda Huskies)
Forward – Benoit-Olivier Groulx (Halifax Mooseheads)

I'm not positive, but I believe Sportsnet picked the team.

It's an issue I have with the CHL - the OHL in particular because I know it the best of the three leagues.

There's a bunch of quality people credentialed by the CHL to cover the league(s). I have been lucky enough to be credentialed for a dozen years now.

The sad part, unlike the NHL for example, is that the CHL gives us only one award to vote on - Player of the Year. We are shut out on every other award, including all-star teams.

In comes Sportsnet who join in late in the season, televise maybe a dozen games and the Memorial Cup, and they call the shots. Not fair to those that are in rinks almost every night covering and promoting the leagues.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Lauko with a nice rush-assist on the go-ahead goal! Really curious to see how B's management brings him into the fold.

Is Lauko of the age where it`s either the the big club or Junior? It sounds and appears like the kid had a terrific rookie year in the Q but unless he makes it impossible for the Bruins to not give him a spot, I don`t think it`s a massive set back if he were to return to his Junior team if that`s the only option or Providence if that too is an option?

Saw him play only the few games I got to see in the Mem Cup, impressive kid, motor that never stops, solid skill, grit and that kind of game that frustrates opponents. Absolutely lots to like but I try to temper my expectations

Reactions: bbfan419

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is Lauko of the age where it`s either the the big club or Junior? It sounds and appears like the kid had a terrific rookie year in the Q but unless he makes it impossible for the Bruins to not give him a spot, I don`t think it`s a massive set back if he were to return to his Junior team if that`s the only option or Providence if that too is an option?

Saw him play only the few games I got to see in the Mem Cup, impressive kid, motor that never stops, solid skill, grit and that kind of game that frustrates opponents. Absolutely lots to like but I try to temper my expectations

Read back Andrew. Your answer is already posted

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

he was eligible for providence this year - seemed that sweeney didn't want him there at 18. bruins wanted him playing
against men in czech, lauko wanted to play in north america. the Q turned out to be somewhat of a common ground
they agreed on. would be shocked if he's not in the AHL in september.

edit - as usual dom has you covered.

Reactions: ODAAT

BruinsNetwork

The Draft Analyst is the only one publicly who had Lauko in the 1st round. 2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Post draft, the Bruins said they thought he was a 1st round prospect. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/speedy-third-rounder-lauko-pick-bruins-picks

It seems he may need to work on his shot but he seems to have everything else down. You want the guys like this that show up in the post season on offense and defense. I wonder if they invite him to Boston as a late addition to the Black Aces just to keep him around the team.

Red Line at him at No. 15, but yes, Steve has spoken highly of Lauko for a while now.

He wasn’t on my radar for the Bruins mainly because I had no idea he’d be available. Watching him last year, it seemed that there were times that his hands simply couldn’t keep up with the rest of his body. Shortly after the draft, that turned into a question of the past.

IMO, Lauko demonstrated that he’s a first-round talent this year and he is ready for Providence.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
I don't have a good handle on how Quebec success translates to the pro game, but I do know that scoring is relatively inflated in the Q in comparison to other junior leagues. Thus, I don't put too much stock in his stats (which seem to tick the box even if they don't pop off the stats sheet), but from the limited amount of his play time I have seen, he seems like a creative ("high octane" is a little ambiguous, but my impression is that Lauko is more direct than a high scoring forward like Krejci) forward -- something the Bruins don't have in spades. To your point, it would be super exciting to see his game translate effectively.

His play in the Memorial Cup reminded me of Kuraly -- good speed, high motor, has a shiftiness to him, good at possessing the puck, decent defensively, constantly makes plays (sometimes out of nothing)...and would've had twice as many goals if he was able to finish his chances better.
Maybe his offensive game continues to develop further to get him into the top 6 but, if not, we've seen firsthand the value of these types of players in the bottom 6.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Rumpy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad