Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It is really good hockey. They tend to have older teens in that league, can be said of some junior 'B' teams. The ones that are not going anywhere, get out of the rat race in Major Junior and settle for maybe scholarships or in some cases some are tempted for other reasons. My nephew played and coached that level out East, in Ontario, Alberta, Sask and BC. My parents raised my nephew, so he was more of a brother to me. His BC team would recruit US born players. One huge game they lost out to a team with 16 committed players and 3 NHL drafted.

Yes indeed, there are a few young players, the two who are, by far the strongest looking here for the Grizzlies are Newhook who has been mentioned earlier in the thread and this kid Riley Hughes who, don`t quote me, I think is from the Mass. area and is committed to Northeastern next year but I don`t have the program I got a few weeks back nearby.

Newhook could be special, heading to Boston College next year, good ole boy from Nfld. and Hughes is a very nice talent too. Think Hughes is Rangers or Islanders property but I may stand corrected on that one?

Here`s a vid on Newhook, some of the clips aren`t of terrific quality

Reactions: FanSince72

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Yes indeed, there are a few young players, the two who are, by far the strongest looking here for the Grizzlies are Newhook who has been mentioned earlier in the thread and this kid Riley Hughes who, don`t quote me, I think is from the Mass. area and is committed to Northeastern next year but I don`t have the program I got a few weeks back nearby.

Newhook could be special, heading to Boston College next year, good ole boy from Nfld. and Hughes is a very nice talent too. Think Hughes is Rangers or Islanders property but I may stand corrected on that one?

Here`s a vid on Newhook, some of the clips aren`t of terrific quality

Hughes was a 7th rounder by the Rangers and he is from Westwood MA.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hughes was a 7th rounder by the Rangers and he is from Westwood MA.

Ah thx, I knew he went to one team in the NY area, he`s a nice player too but Newhook has "it" I feel, still has lots to work on but the kid never stops busting his arse on the ice, no hesitation to get into a corner scrum, will stand in front of the net, has terrific hands and can both be a disher and finisher

aguineapig

Dom any thoughts on Thomas Harley? One of youngest draft eligibles seems to have good size, stats and we could nickname him Hog

Reactions: Son of Donegal

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
It was reported day after draft by a GM wishing to be anonymous that every deal Sweeney inquered about the opposing GMs asked for Studnicka or Vaak and in some cases both.

Makes sense. Other teams must value our top 2 prospects as them.

I’m glad Lauzon is seemingly under the radar because he really impressed me during his call up.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I too have high hopes for Studnicka. I just believe those hoping for better offensive acumen than Chris Kelly from him are justified.

I know Marchand and Pasta believe he has a lot of upside and that's good enough for me, to go along with the kind of season he's having.

Talented prospect duo showcase potential with Marchand and Pastrnak

The Bruins made several cuts and AHL assignments this week. They haven’t given any indication on what their plans are for Studnicka and Forsbacka Karlsson, however, Marchand and Pastrnak did share some of their thoughts on the matter when the group returned from China last week.

“[Jack] is a really good player, I really like him,” Marchand said about Studnicka. “He’s going to play for this team eventually and he’s going to be a really good player. He sees the ice very well and is very talented. He’s not scared to go to any area of the ice and he’s very fast.”
“He’s a very skilled player and he showed that at the rookie camp. Smart guy that works really hard,” Pastrnak added. “It’s nice to get a couple games with him and he’s going to be a good player.”

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I too have high hopes for Studnicka. I just believe those hoping for better offensive acumen than Chris Kelly from him are justified.

Great night for Studnicka 2G 3A +4 what a play on the last goal !
Mar. 16/19 – NIAG (7) -BAR (4) – Ontario Hockey League

Let me share some stats that are unavailable to the general public, unless you want to spend the week charting the 67 games to date, and why Studnicka's overall game is under appreciated in some circles.

Since the trade to Niagara:

1) Kyle Keyser was leading the league in goals-against-average and is now 4th

2) Kyle Keyser was leading the league in save percentage by a large margin and is now second.

3) High Danger zone shots against Kyle Keyser have gone up from 2.1 per game to 4.2 per game.

#3 is the most significant as it has a direct impact on #1 and #2. Studnicka may not have been as free wheeling in Oshawa as he is in Niagara, but he was logging the difficult minutes against the opposition's best and by every statistical metric, was one of the best at it.

BruinsNetwork

I really think comparing him to Chris Kelly is selling him for far less than he’s worth— I don’t see it, personally. I’m not big on comparisons, but I think Mike Fisher is a better comparable than Chris Kelly.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yes you are right on about the Ontario League, basically Junior B. I played in a few Men's leagues with ex Junior B and Major players and when the topic came up about Tier 2 (back then) it got ugly.

The Golden Horseshoe league has had some power houses with Niagara Falls and St Kitts over the years and back in the 80s and 90s with Welland and Hamilton, those games were very good and the communities were involved, gave local kids the highest level they would see and play at. They have Hamilton back in the fold and finally got rid of those Buffalo teams, some of those scores were Football games.

The Niagara Icedogs coming in has taken away some of the support sadly. Brock is finally getting its due. There is a lot of competition in this area, even a Senior team in Thorold, not this year but there is Stoney Creek. Buffalo is of no interest to me as they are the only close team in the OJHL. Then there is The Greater Metro Junior A Hockey League. Not interested in that league.

Bruins are on the right path bow scouting the lower leagues, that turns up guys like Heinen, Fabbro and Cholowski.
When I was in high school, a friend of mine played for the Elmira Sugar Kings and they beat Thorold in the Sutherland Cup final. What's interesting is that Thorolds best player was arguably a 15 year old Nathan Horton. I went to one of the games in Elmira and we were all saying that kid is gonna be a star.

BruinsNetwork

Weird that he would leave college after one year just to sign a pto? Maybe he has an agreement agreed upon already and waiting?

Cooper Zech? He’s on a two-year AHL deal with Providence. Similar to what Clifton signed before the NHL deal the Bruins gave him. Zech is signed for two-years so he can finish this year out and still be signed next year. Sometimes you’ll see guys sign a PTO/ATO in the AHL + a one-year AHL contract that takes place the year after. The style of contract Zech signed is more common, though.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cooper Zech? He’s on a two-year AHL deal with Providence. Similar to what Clifton signed before the NHL deal the Bruins gave him. Zech is signed for two-years so he can finish this year out and still be signed next year. Sometimes you’ll see guys sign a PTO/ATO in the AHL + a one-year AHL contract that takes place the year after. The style of contract Zech signed is more common, though.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad