Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The question was asking about Boston's best prospect specifically in terms of pure goal scoring ability. He's just implying that whoever they draft in Round 1 will likely possess a more impressive goal scoring skill set than Senyshyn/Studnicka/Lauko/Steen/etc. IMO if we're still counting Bjork as a prospect then he would be my vote. Otherwise, I'd probably agree that the 2019 1st is as good a bet as any of those other prospects.

Ah in that case I can possibly see that. Gotta remember that senyshyn is a two time 40 goal scorer in juniors though. Doesn’t always translate immediately.

I’m still in on Senyshyn, for whatever reason it seems like bigger guys take longer. Idk if it’s a coordination thing or what. But I’m not ready to give up on the size and speed yet. I think with time he can still pop 20 a year in the NHL.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The question was asking about Boston's best prospect specifically in terms of pure goal scoring ability. He's just implying that whoever they draft in Round 1 will likely possess a more impressive goal scoring skill set than Senyshyn/Studnicka/Lauko/Steen/etc. IMO if we're still counting Bjork as a prospect then he would be my vote. Otherwise, I'd probably agree that the 2019 1st is as good a bet as any of those other prospects.

Thank you..perfect.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Ah in that case I can possibly see that. Gotta remember that senyshyn is a two time 40 goal scorer in juniors though. Doesn’t always translate immediately.

I’m still in on Senyshyn, for whatever reason it seems like bigger guys take longer. Idk if it’s a coordination thing or what. But I’m not ready to give up on the size and speed yet. I think with time he can still pop 20 a year in the NHL.

I’ve asked this question before but is senyshyn really 6-3 or 6-1? I think the former could be considered a big player but the later seems more like average to me. Different Sites have different numbers for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve asked this question before but is senyshyn really 6-3 or 6-1? I think the former could be considered a big player but the later seems more like average to me. Different Sites have different numbers for him.

I love hockeydb and it’s got him at 6-3 196. Not sure though. I’m sure he’s gonna fill out a bit more. These days anybody who is over 200 lbs and can skate is a power forward lol

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Steen is the main prospect I am interested in. I think he has the ability to replace Krejci in a couple years time. After that it is Studnicka, Vaakanainen, Lauko, and Senyshyn.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Steen is the main prospect I am interested in. I think he has the ability to replace Krejci in a couple years time. After that it is Studnicka, Vaakanainen, Lauko, and Senyshyn.

I don't think Steen is a center in this organization. He'll be exclusively a RW in Boston

Reactions: Estlin

BruinsNetwork

Watched Farjestad vs Lulea tonight and have a few thoughts.

This game was intense and I think that should have been expected when two of the top teams in the SHL face off. In that regard, Steen really didn’t skip a beat and played up to the level of his opponent.

Steen is really vocal and responsible on the PK. He’s always pointing and calling things out to his teammates, which is nice to see an attention to detail. He doesn’t try and get fancy or cute on the PK, rather he just tries to get the puck out of the zone and clear it.

Steen can skate really, really well. He’s obviously small, so he has a lower center of gravity, but he crosses over well and accelerates quickly. He’s shifty and slippery on his feet, so it’s easy for defenders to lose him in coverage.

I know everyone here loves comparisons and I think I have one for you guys. I’d compare Steen to Zuccarello. Obviously I’m not claiming that Steen will have the production of a high-end top-six F Like Zuccarello, but there are definitely similarities. Steen is similar in size and build, but also feisty and competitive like him as well. They play a similar style of game and it really shows. I don’t think Steen is as naturally creative when it comes to playmaking, though.

Despite the streaming service being rather expensive and unreliable, I watch Steen frequently. I’m definitely impressed and I think he will come to NA and make an instant impact. If that impact is in Providence or Boston or not is TBD, but he’s impressive. I think fans should get excited for him.

Mark Divver tweeted that several NHL teams, including the Bruins, have interest in Joakim Nygard of Farjestad. He shots left, but he’s quite the player in the SHL. He’s been with Farjestd in some capacity since 2011, but he’s steadily improved each year he’s played. He’s worked his way through U20 to the SHL squad.

He scored a nice goal tonight. Camped out by the blue line, started to skate towards the center of it when he saw his teammate looking to break the puck out and just went for it. His teammate sprung him, he went on a breakaway and sniped Lulea’s goalie. He skates well and has some nice speed, along with really soft hands. He plays with a ton of energy and there’s a lot to like.

Nygard seems to get some of his opportunities as a result of defensive breakdowns that just wouldn’t happen in the NHL, though. Not that he couldn’t adjust, just something I noticed. He’s broken 20-goals so far this season and a lot of them showcased his skill and shot. The 26-year-old has come into his own this year and established himself as a threat in the SHL. If the Bruins were to take a flier on him, then I think they’d be making a low-risk, high-reward move.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I hate drafting long lead prospects/projects in the 1st round. Save those for round 4, I want 2-3 years before nhl out of a 1st round pick

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
way more offensive instincts than KM.

hmmm how are you so sure?

Miller put up points down at the AHL level also

At the NHL level has provided some offense from the back end too

are you saying Clifton is closer to McAvoy level?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

I would not think of offence from the back end and come up with Millers name, sorry but he is pretty challenged in that regard like Carlo. Clifton is more of a Krug like river boat gambler type with a better edge to him. Mac has a more fluid skating stride. Clifton is physical like Miller but he is smaller than Kevan. So maybe a hybrid of Kevan and Krug, which is not bad, if they can iron out the gaffs.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Miller put up 45 points in 154 games played (0.29 PPG). Clifton put up 40 points in 107 games played (0.37 PPG). Miller in the NHL has 66 points in 321 games played (0.21 PPG). Clifton in 11 games played has yet to record a point. Not seeing the offense that Miller has provided on the back end that you're seeing.

Also Clifton is nowhere close to being McAvoy's level of production. McAvoy is over a 0.50 PPG player as a defenseman thus far in the NHL. I hope you're asking this for an offensive standpoint and not overall because obviously Clifton is nowhere close to McAvoy on that regard as well.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
The eye test alone says Clifton and Kevan Miller don' t really compare. One is offense first, riverboat gambler. The other is stay at home. How can you even think they compare?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
At this point, I'm guessing we won't see Senyshyn until training camp. My expectations for him will be high due to all his time developing in the AHL.

Side note: I tried to find a "Player Discussion" thread for ZS but it doesn't seem to exist.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
At this point, I'm guessing we won't see Senyshyn until training camp. My expectations for him will be high due to all his time developing in the AHL.

Side note: I tried to find a "Player Discussion" thread for ZS but it doesn't seem to exist.
That was because it was closed. There were a lot of complaining about how his name isn't Matt.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Miller put up 45 points in 154 games played (0.29 PPG). Clifton put up 40 points in 107 games played (0.37 PPG). Miller in the NHL has 66 points in 321 games played (0.21 PPG). Clifton in 11 games played has yet to record a point. Not seeing the offense that Miller has provided on the back end that you're seeing.

Also Clifton is nowhere close to being McAvoy's level of production. McAvoy is over a 0.50 PPG player as a defenseman thus far in the NHL. I hope you're asking this for an offensive standpoint and not overall because obviously Clifton is nowhere close to McAvoy on that regard as well.
Miller had 1G and 1A in his first 9 NHL games and it stayed that way through his first 27 NHL games. He would go on to collect 4 assists through the remaining 20 NHL games he played his rookie year.
Kevan Miller 2013-14 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm not sure what you think you get comparing the entire 6 year NHL career to date for one NHL player, to the first 9 (not 11) NHL games of another. Clifton is 23 while Miller was 26 as a rookie scoring all of 6 points in 47 games. I don't think it wise to give on guys this early.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I hate drafting long lead prospects/projects in the 1st round. Save those for round 4, I want 2-3 years before nhl out of a 1st round pick

Harry Sinden used to feel the same way and look as his draft history!

I think it all depends on the strength of the draft and projected upside of the players in question. In a strong draft year assuming the team likes a player as a fit for the organization and sees significant upside, why draft a long-term project when a more ready-to-play option is available? In 2014, the Calgary Flames picked the more NHL ready Sam Bennett 4th overall. At the time, scouts thought he could be as good as Getzlaf. He's plateaued as a 3rd liner in the NHL. Anaheim did the same thing with Nick Ritchie at 10th overall. Big kid. The next Milan Lucic. Ready for NHL two years post draft. You think for a second Calgary or Anaheim wouldn't go back and pick someone like Pastrnak in that spot, even when he may have been perceived to be more of a project? Every draft has their clear elite talent, their reaches and their project players. Some hit and some don't. There is never any certainty. Imagine if the Bruins scouts saw what the Islanders saw in Anders Lee and took him in the 1st round instead of Jordan Caron.

Scouting is a mysterious art!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Miller had 1G and 1A in his first 9 NHL games and it stayed that way through his first 27 NHL games. He would go on to collect 4 assists through the remaining 20 NHL games he played his rookie year.
Kevan Miller 2013-14 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

I'm not sure what you think you get comparing the entire 6 year NHL career to date for one NHL player, to the first 9 (not 11) NHL games of another. Clifton is 23 while Miller was 26 as a rookie scoring all of 6 points in 47 games. I don't think it wise to give on guys this early.

I think you read my post wrong. Dan seems to think Clifton is a better skating Kevan Miller and followed up the point that Miller put up points in the AHL and has produced at the NHL. While Clifton doesn't have any NHL points yet, he's produced at a much higher rate in the AHL than Kevan Miller. My point was that Clifton has more offensive upside and doesn't play a similar game to Miller.

I was also showing that Miller wasn't a producer of much offense in the NHL, nor has he done it in the NHL (since Dan made a comment about him producing offense in both leagues).

Dan then asks if Clifton is on a McAvoy level (assuming on offense) which appears to me to be on the other side of the spectrum and a question that didn't really need to be asked because no, he's not even close to a McAvoy level (once again, assuming offensively) -- Granted he's not on any level of McAvoy offensively or defensively.

At the end of the day, Clifton is Clifton. Its hard to really pinpoint an NHL comparable.

Reactions: 00BW and DaaaaB's

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

well said, with you there

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad