Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects IX - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Love the work @BruinsNetwork does, offers a fair insight and has made it clear he`s here to share his reports with us and focus less on what a prospect doesn`t bring but more what the development of a prospect is looking like and I appreciate it

Dom, it`s well established is our hockey guy here, just gets to see far more hockey at every level than most here and has connections the majority of us dream of here

I got to many Mooseheads games while living in Halifax but that exposed me only to the QMJHL, since my move to Victoria, I got to see a few Royals games but did buy season tix for this coming season, also hit a few BCHL games as the Victoria Grizzlies play literally around the corner from me and there games are a blast, one thing really fun about them is you can see the scouts at their games as the barn is small and it`s not hard to determine who is there as a spectator and who`s working.

That all said, my horrific track record with predicting a kid`s future is well known and I shouldn`t be on any short list for future scout:)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
They just own the rights of the player till they are 27. They don't have to be signed kind of like College players.

Does anyone here know if Khokhlachev Chudinov and JFK - Have all received extended qualifying offers? How does that work? Are they offered qualifying offers each year or one time for the duration of their bruin career (I believe ending age 27).

Just curious how this works when prospects sign elsewhere....

If they had a previous NHL contract, then they would require a qualifying offer each year (Koko, JFK) and become UFA on their 27th birthday. If they never signed an NHL contract, the Bruins would retain his rights, sometimes indefinitely (Chudinov)

Then there are others who never signed a contract that must be signed by a certain date or become UFA. That depends on whether they were drafted from Major Junior, Europe or NCAA (USHL).

Best source for info right here: Boston Bruins Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Nothing but love for MY fellow Italian hockey guy.

But yes, Dom most certainly watches more hockey than I do. He has the ability to go see many, many different leagues and teams (live) in Canada that I just simply cannot. However, I do find myself streaming and watching hours of those leagues per-week, within reason. Absolutely love watching the game of hockey and usually have a DVR'r or live game going on my iPad at all times.

As far as the @Son of Donegal statement and defense of me goes, I appreciate it. You're being absolutely fair and respectful, despite not agreeing with me. That's one of those rewarding aspects I truly appreciate on these forums.

I started Bruins Network after listening to hours of Boston sports radio per-week, which was littered with constant negativity and flat out wrong information about prospects. Everything said was driven by negative, doom-and-gloom type of statements and questions. That's why I do a lot of "praising" and don't focus on the negatives too much. Don't get me wrong, there are negatives and I'm aware of most of them, but who wants to constantly read negativity? No one. Bruins fans are passionate and deserve something more sincere and authentic.

While we're on the topic, does anyone have some questions about prospects' deficiencies or areas of improvement? I'll gladly try and shed some insight.

PS: Life has kind of gotten in the way recently, but I've been working on an extensive, detailed prospect manifesto of sort. It will be out before the start of the new season, so keep an eye out. Sorry for the hold up on the content I've mentioned to be working on!

Keep at it man, you're doing great!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Pronman: Top 123 NHL prospects entering the 2019-20 season

Pronman again, ranks the top 123 prospects not in the NHL, only one Bruin, Studnicka at #102 (down for 77 the last time). Consider the source.

"Jack Studnicka, C, Boston
Feb. 18, 1999 | 6-foot-1 | 172 pounds

Drafted: 53rd-overall (2017)
Previous ranking: 77

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey sense: 60

Studnicka had a good season between Oshawa and Niagara, and took off offensively following the trade. He’s always flashed offensive skill but this season he was dynamic with the puck more consistently, as a threat off rushes to beat defenders with skill. His hockey sense is very good. He’s creative with the puck and sees the ice very well, makinng high-level plays in tight areas. Studnicka isn’t an overly physical player, but he’s a competent defensive center. His skating is fine for the pro level. He won’t turn pro defenders, but he can skate at that level. He’s a well-rounded player who may not be an impact NHL forward but could be a very quality pro."

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The B's seem to be ranked very low in terms of prospects from the experts. It appears to be the quality of the prospects, and not quantity. Personally, I think if they can get one player a year from Prov to the NHL, and they really contribute, I think they are doing pretty good. Considering how good the B's have been year after year, and where they
draft, I think they are doing very good

Just saw there was a thread dedicated to the rankings, my bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Pronman: Top 123 NHL prospects entering the 2019-20 season

Pronman again, ranks the top 123 prospects not in the NHL, only one Bruin, Studnicka at #102 (down for 77 the last time). Consider the source.

"Jack Studnicka, C, Boston
Feb. 18, 1999 | 6-foot-1 | 172 pounds

Drafted: 53rd-overall (2017)
Previous ranking: 77

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 50
Hockey sense: 60

Studnicka had a good season between Oshawa and Niagara, and took off offensively following the trade. He’s always flashed offensive skill but this season he was dynamic with the puck more consistently, as a threat off rushes to beat defenders with skill. His hockey sense is very good. He’s creative with the puck and sees the ice very well, makinng high-level plays in tight areas. Studnicka isn’t an overly physical player, but he’s a competent defensive center. His skating is fine for the pro level. He won’t turn pro defenders, but he can skate at that level. He’s a well-rounded player who may not be an impact NHL forward but could be a very quality pro."
For 77th overall I'm pretty happy with this, he sounds like a good number 2 center on a good team. Add Beecher and Frederic 2-4C are in good shape for years to come, they need to get a young number 1 through trade or the draft though. Bruins have been spoiled having Krejci and Bergeron for over ten years.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The B's seem to be ranked very low in terms of prospects from the experts. It appears to be the quality of the prospects, and not quantity. Personally, I think if they can get one player a year from Prov to the NHL, and they really contribute, I think they are doing pretty good. Considering how good the B's have been year after year, and where they
draft, I think they are doing very good.
McKeen's had them at 15 at the top of their third tier of prospects. I don't have them that high but I like McKeen's and the usually are good at projecting prospects. I still have them in the mid to high 20's.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

BruinsNetwork

For 77th overall I'm pretty happy with this, he sounds like a good number 2 center on a good team. Add Beecher and Frederic 2-4C are in good shape for years to come, they need to get a young number 1 through trade or the draft though. Bruins have been spoiled having Krejci and Bergeron for over ten years.

It appears Sweeney & Co. has this plan of drafting bigger, stronger, more reliable two-way centers to solidify the middle and provide stability to the future core of wingers. Even if Beecher and Frederic aren't capable of first-line offense one day, the rest of their attributes might make them suitable for top-six roles with the right wingers.

It's tough to find first-line centers, obviously, but they Bruins seem to be planning on compensating with guys like Beecher, Frederic and Studnicka down the middle. Those first two guys, Beecher and Frederic, can skate with the best of them, but also make plays and be commanding, physical presences down the middle.

Studnicka? While he's not bulky or huge, he's around 6'1" and has the height and reach that some smaller centers don't. He's someone who projects as a top-six center in my opinion, though. His offense took a leap this year and I saw a lot more offensive liberties taken between last year and right now.

Nonetheless, back to the main point I'm trying to make. By drafting guys like Beecher, Frederic and Studnicka, although he isn't like the other two, it gives the Bruins the ability to weather the storm after Bergeron and Krejci. Having those big, strong, fleet-footed centers who can compete and skate with anyone makes it easier to open up space for smaller, high-end wingers on the ice.

Building from the middle of the roster and backend makes for a solid future with the way the current NHL is trending.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It appears Sweeney & Co. has this plan of drafting bigger, stronger, more reliable two-way centers to solidify the middle and provide stability to the future core of wingers. Even if Beecher and Frederic aren't capable of first-line offense one day, the rest of their attributes might make them suitable for top-six roles with the right wingers.

It's tough to find first-line centers, obviously, but they Bruins seem to be planning on compensating with guys like Beecher, Frederic and Studnicka down the middle. Those first two guys, Beecher and Frederic, can skate with the best of them, but also make plays and be commanding, physical presences down the middle.

Studnicka? While he's not bulky or huge, he's around 6'1" and has the height and reach that some smaller centers don't. He's someone who projects as a top-six center in my opinion, though. His offense took a leap this year and I saw a lot more offensive liberties taken between last year and right now.

Nonetheless, back to the main point I'm trying to make. By drafting guys like Beecher, Frederic and Studnicka, although he isn't like the other two, it gives the Bruins the ability to weather the storm after Bergeron and Krejci. Having those big, strong, fleet-footed centers who can compete and skate with anyone makes it easier to open up space for smaller, high-end wingers on the ice.

Building from the middle of the roster and backend makes for a solid future with the way the current NHL is trending.

That's a good take on things, and I'll just add that so long as the Bruins are successful, getting that sure thing 1st line center out of the draft isn't happening. Hard to get that guy picking in the bottom half every year. Yes, Krejci and Bergeron were 2nd rounders, but the Bruins hit homeruns on those. Maybe one or more of these young guys or someone even more unexpected is like that. Who knows? But drafting where they do consistently, these types of picks make the most sense.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That's a good take on things, and I'll just add that so long as the Bruins are successful, getting that sure thing 1st line center out of the draft isn't happening. Hard to get that guy picking in the bottom half every year. Yes, Krejci and Bergeron were 2nd rounders, but the Bruins hit homeruns on those. Maybe one or more of these young guys or someone even more unexpected is like that. Who knows? But drafting where they do consistently, these types of picks make the most sense.

Ding ding ding, and that’s also exactly why they value character id imagine. Imo those with high character (like Bergeron) are more likely to exceed their perceived ceiling due to things like work-ethic, effort, and tenacity

So you pick one of these high end character kids like Frederic or Studnicka and you hope that with hard work and growth they can develop beyond the expectations Had of them when they were drafted

BruinsNetwork

@BruinsNetwork how did Lauko look at the prospect tourney?

He looked as advertised. Quick, skilled and tenacious. Looked stronger than he did last ear in similar settings, which was nice to see. He's not afraid of anyone on the ice and isn't afraid to try and pull off dekes and dangles. He's a confident player in regards to his offensive ability, but he's also responsible and doesn't need to be babysat in any capacity.

His two-way game obviously needs some work at the next level to keep up against pros, which is completely normal and expected, but I liked what I saw. He was really, really chippy against Buffalo on Saturday and continued to engage in scrums and agitating behavior after what seemed like every whistle. He's someone to be excited about and I'm sure he'll be a favorite around here soon enough.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Ding ding ding, and that’s also exactly why they value character id imagine. Imo those with high character (like Bergeron) are more likely to exceed their perceived ceiling due to things like work-ethic, effort, and tenacity

So you pick one of these high end character kids like Frederic or Studnicka and you hope that with hard work and growth they can develop beyond the expectations Had of them when they were drafted

When you see a player like Brayden Point, a legit #1C, picked in the 3rd round by a contending team, it gives you hope that the Bruins' scouting staff can continue to find success.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love @BruinsNetwork (Anthony) and I know he goes to a lot of hockey games.

But I just have to say, I have yet to meet anyone either on the internet or in person that attends more hockey games then me. I attend over 100 OHL games a season. Throw in NHL, AHL, OJHL, Junior B and midget (I've seen a lot of players before they've become known names) and I wouldn't even be able to guess at the number ;)
yah, you got me beat- I probably go to 50 or so and then the Bruins playoffs- Bruins 30 regular seasons sometimes more but around there, Providence a half dozen but its been as high as 15 or so when the Monarchs were around- and a handful of college games mostly Lowell and Mrerrimac but the Beanpot and Hockey East at the Garden....maybe gives me another handful

the problem is I have ADHD and miss most of the game eating and crowd watching, talking and drinking....

Reactions: PepeBostones

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am not sure about Lauko upside because I just don't know about his hands but he's old school 'I'll find a f***ing way' or 'nobody told me I can't make it so I intend to'. He will be an NHL player because he does so much well, plays as they say to the whistle, skates well, and competes as hard as anyone. Lets see if he can make plays if so this will be a great pick.

DeBrusk has hands- I'm looking for Mike Hoffman type of player- a dangerous 28-35 goal 65-70 point second line stud who can come up big.

Senyshyn - kept an eye on him Friday and he's looks all the part. Plus size, probably somewhere around 6'1- 6'2 and solid, skates very well.

skating and size he's exactly what you want- but whats under the hood is really what its all about with him

I know he has a shot but they all have a shot- unless you are talking Frank Vatrano type of shot. His hands and able to make quick decisions and see the ice are really what its all about- he's got the computer hardware, whats the Operating System going to be.

Jury is out. Rooting hard for him, if I had 3 wishes to use on Bruins prospects to succeed he's getting one for shuuuure.

Joe (Glorydaze) and I go back and forth all the time on texts or the phone or even in person when I see him on guys- we both were eons ahead of Griffin Reinhart blows before Chiarelli traded for him, and giving up the 16th and 33rd pick in the stacked 2015 draft. I watched him a few times in Providence and was texting Joe during the game I do not like this guy. I can attest trsashing Alex Nylander in my views of him in Providence similarly,

Nylander may prove me wrong in the end, but like Joe, when you have kids who play or played and did some coaching you are keen to watch the extra stuff and that is how I like to watch guys- really comes down to after you determine they can get from point A to point B, their brains and desire.

I'm not sure DeBrusk has anymore desire than Senyshyn. What it will come down to is Senyshyn ability to make plays, quick plays, quick decisions.

One prospect who I only saw in DC this summer was Quinn Olson but I'm betting he ends up making it and likely in a big way. I liked everything about him but the one thing that stood out is the puck found him, the guy had radar.

You watch Carson Kuhlman and I feel the same way. He is undersized and not a blazer like Yvan Cournoyer but he always is around the puck and making good decisions. I'll be curious what his Camp plays out like.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
An in-depth look at the top 10 Bruins Prospects and one sleeper, including scouting reports.

Boston Bruins Prospects: TSP - Last Word on Hockey
I have to say, this is so bleeping good its scary

not sure who Ben Kerr is but I was super impressed

A+ take in my view

I'm encouraged what you said about Lauzon.

Vaak could be a monster pairing with McAvoy or if they don't resign Krug on the second pair in 2020-21 with Carlo

lot of options but by 2020-21 the Bruins could/should have both Vaak and Lauzon in the top 7

the wild card is Krug.....his contract and he would have to be protected exposing one of these D men

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He looked as advertised. Quick, skilled and tenacious. Looked stronger than he did last ear in similar settings, which was nice to see. He's not afraid of anyone on the ice and isn't afraid to try and pull off dekes and dangles. He's a confident player in regards to his offensive ability, but he's also responsible and doesn't need to be babysat in any capacity.

His two-way game obviously needs some work at the next level to keep up against pros, which is completely normal and expected, but I liked what I saw. He was really, really chippy against Buffalo on Saturday and continued to engage in scrums and agitating behavior after what seemed like every whistle. He's someone to be excited about and I'm sure he'll be a favorite around here soon enough.

I’m stunned he dropped to the third round.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Only negative issue I have with this team so far, in this super early season, is that there doesn't seem to be any potential spots for a younger prospect to "steal" considering the roster we have. The D is set with Moore and Miller likely starting the season on LTIR; I can see a forward - i.e maybe Bjork (if he does, I prefer to see him with Bergy) winning a spot, but other than that ... nothing. It would obviously help to unload Backes' contract, which would open up another spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad