Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose 3-2 in the shootout

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I blame this loss on the idiots who decided to boo and chant "Seguin"

Ugg....

Tyler won a bunch of faceoffs....He always did well in the shootouts.

Long drive home...

I hope the B's don't loose to Florida...

Are you sure he won face offs? Benn took pretty much every face off for their line not Tyler-Benn however won a lot of face offs.

Tyler IMO looked like typical Tyler. I actually think Peverly created more scoring opportunities-honestly I noticed him more than Seguin (Pevs looked good last night).

I am not going to worry too much-the team has the talent they just have to put it together-their problem right now seems to be more of a mental game than a can't do it thing.

IMO what this team really needs is a road trip to somewhere other than Florida.

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
I think Merlot's best days might be behind them. Yes it's only 15 games into the season, and yes, they're not the main reason the Bruins are struggling. But I can't think of a time where they've created much of any energy at all this season. Might be time to sit Thornton.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You never win trades where you receive the lesser talent.

The Bruins lost on the Joe Thorton trade, Blake Wheeler trade, Phil Kessel deal and they will lose on the Tyler Seguin trade.

You didn't see Chicago panic on Patrick Kane's party lifestyle. Instead they stuck with him and he produces two Cup's in a short period of time.

I think Chia sometimes makes moves when he is determined to bring in a player he is in awe with. His love for Kaberle, Redden and now Iginla shows that.

Some issues with this team right now. SPEED is a big one.

Time to make some small changes. Bring back Spooner.

Time to sit Shawn Thornton.

It`s been mentioned by Chia way too often, Chia has stated, it wasn`t just due to his off ice habits. He wasn`t willing to play the style of game this organization believes breeds success....2 finals, 3 years, pretty sure I`ll go with the judgement of this GM

The Jets won the Wheeler trade??? Did they? They been on some memorable Cup runs I missed since the deal went down or even made the playoffs? Pevs was absolutely huge with the B`s on that run and I`ll wager Chia pulls that deal off again tomorrow if he had the chance.

Thornton is so long ago and I`m over it. I`ll just wait and see how this deal with Dallas shapes up. Segs will be a point producer in Dallas as we all know, the kid`s game last night was just as anticipated, hesitant to dig anywhere near a corner or use that sublime speed to win a puck race.

I`m of the school of thought that the team who acquires the best player wins too however.....if that best player goes to a team who is light years away from a Cup opportunity while the other team acquires players they feel will play the game they need to play to win in order to once again be in the Cup conversation...I`ll take the latter of the two, it`s why I`m still a believer the B`s won the Kess deal...they got a Cup without the guy, Segs helped that year...

Last edited:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Anyone else think the penalty shot call was a dive? Seids got his stick into the hands of the Star and he went down like he had his legs chopped out from underneath him.

There was a hook but he went down easy.

The hook on Kelly when he got that breakaway was worse and probably affected him more but he stayed on his feet and there was no call at all.

This folks is why players embellish and dive-because the refs just don't call it if you don't make them see it.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
The last 2 times Dallas came to town were fight filled affairs that seemed to bring the team together (2008 Conf champs & 2011 Cup champs).

The Stars (Benn & Fiddler) and the Bruins (in need of an injection of heart & passion) could have used some fisticuffs last night.

We play soooo much better when we play pissed...

Kaoz*

I got a chuckle from that too, but for different reasons than you I think. I laughed because it's typical behavior of someone that knows he's wrong about something, but makes a smartass comment to deflect their own responsibility in the situation.

B's had issues with Kessel and Seguin, but it had more to do with their style of play than where they were drafted. Would have been the same story if they were picked in a later round, only they would have gotten less rope (in Seguin's case). We know the B's wanted Backstrom over Kessel that year, do you think they would have had a problem developing him or Toews? Duchene? Landeskog? Huberdeau? Plug in any Top 5 player that had an ounce of maturity and realized that he had some responsibility for the millions he was being paid, and I think the B's would have been OK with that.

If Seguin was my kid, or if one of my children was lucky enough to be getting paid millions for their job at 21, the team or the company would not need to be talking to them about their "behavior", because I would have already had that conversation. Why does it seem to be the trend in society today to deflect blame and accountability away from the "guilty" parties? Seguin gets paid to do a job, parties too much, gets kicked out of his house, comes to the rink in Toronto in the same clothes 3 days in a row, needs a babysitter outside his room, plays like **** in the PO's...and then it's the B's fault for not "developing" him properly.

Ummm, sure.

I don't remember having those issues with Bergeron, Krejci, etc., or more recently with guys like Krug, Hamilton, Rask.

- Toews is a Bergeron clone, a model of consistency, Boston wouldn't have had issue with him.
- Patty Kane, woulda been gone after the cab driver incident... most here wanted absolutely nothing to do with him in any manner (yes, I know fans aren't the GM, this is just to illustrate this fanbases fickleness)
- Duchene, good chance he would have drew a lot of ire. He had a horrid season in year 3. If he was extended prior to that he would have found himself performance wise in a far worse situation then Seguin with both Bergeron and Krejci ahead of him in the middle.
- Nick Backstrom had a 40 point drop in production the year he started raking in his 6 mill per new contract, directly after his ELC.
- Landeskog would be safe imo, his style of game lends itself to the Bruin ideal (he isn't a pretty skill player). Look at all the immaturity Lucic and Brittney displayed here and Looch's at times frustrating lack of production and it's a safe guess that type gets far more rope here.
- Can't say regarding Huberdeau... he's in just his second year and hasn't really put it all together yet. Who knows?

Kaoz*

Are you sure he won face offs? Benn took pretty much every face off for their line not Tyler-Benn however won a lot of face offs.

Tyler IMO looked like typical Tyler. I actually think Peverly created more scoring opportunities-honestly I noticed him more than Seguin (Pevs looked good last night).

I am not going to worry too much-the team has the talent they just have to put it together-their problem right now seems to be more of a mental game than a can't do it thing.

IMO what this team really needs is a road trip to somewhere other than Florida.

Yes, he won all 3 he took against Krejci, won the 1 he took against Kelly, and went 2 for 5 against Bergeron to go 6 for 9 on the night (67%).

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20132014/FC020217.HTM

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
lets see..
you have bergy at 6pts this yr...
kelly .. 4 pts in 14 games
machand .. 4 pts in 14 games
campbell.... 0 pts in 14 games. (know the injury etc... but no points yet )
could name a few more..but you get the picture.. people who are supposed to be getting goals and points ...are not...
we are a one line team.. stop them.. and you win... bruins have been known for their depth of scoring... not so far this year.
4 points equals about 23 pts this year which is unacceptable for a second line player.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Yup....though many would like to beleive it, he didn't pull a disappearing act like Kessel would. Alternatively he wasn't a game changer either. I thought he played a solid game.

Same here. Tyler looked pretty good out there, definitely not as good as I've seen him play in earlier games this season, but he was far from disappointing. He still wasn't battling for pucks as much as I'd like to see, but he wasn't coasting out there all too much. And that shootout goal was as buttery smooth as they come. Personally, I thought Raptor was more dangerous out there, but I'd give both players a solid B+ for their first game against us.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
- Toews is a Bergeron clone, a model of consistency, Boston wouldn't have had issue with him.
- Patty Kane, woulda been gone after the cab driver incident... most here wanted absolutely nothing to do with him in any manner (yes, I know fans aren't the GM, this is just to illustrate this fanbases fickleness)
- Duchene, good chance he would have drew a lot of ire. He had a horrid season in year 3. If he was extended prior to that he would have found himself performance wise in a far worse situation then Seguin with both Bergeron and Krejci ahead of him in the middle.
- Nick Backstrom had a 40 point drop in production the year he started raking in his 6 mill per new contract, directly after his ELC.
- Landeskog would be safe imo, his style of game lends itself to the Bruin ideal (he isn't a pretty skill player). Look at all the immaturity Lucic and Brittney displayed here and Looch's at times frustrating lack of production and it's a safe guess that type gets far more rope here.
- Can't say regarding Huberdeau... he's in just his second year and hasn't really put it all together yet. Who knows?

So, then you would say, it's probably accurate to say that the B's had an issue with Seguin off ice and his on ice style of play as well?

I will disagree with you on Kane. He might be a richard off the ice, but he has done nothing but produce since he entered the league. We did not hear the entire conversation on "Behind the B", but Kane was specifically mentioned and I would bet it was because someone compared Seguin to Kane. Then Bradley (or Benning) gave their "if he had produced half of what Kane did" comment. I don't think the B's were in love with his off ice antics, but if he had continued to produce in the PO's (like Kane) and the B's won the Cup, Seguin would still be here IMO. It was the combo of poor production, off ice immaturity, and lack of grit (or whatever you want to call it) that did him in.

I know Spooner was a 2nd round pick and not #2, but I heard that they weren't overly thrilled with some of the facets of his game last year in PRO despite the production. Instead of saying, I had a damn good year as a rookie, **** them, I'm going to continue to do things my way, he busted his ass this off season, and looks much better than he did last year from a defensive and conditioning standpoint.

I didn't see that effort to change anything from Seguin.

I firmly believe that some time in the AHL for a lot of these Top 10 picks at age 18 and 19 would be good for them. I know the CHL was considering changing that rule (not sure if they did) so that first round picks under 20 could play in the A. Would have liked to have seen that, particularly with Seguin.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Erikson's Swedish numbers are not very impressive either, how about 0 - 0 - 0 in 12 games in '05?

How about the fact that he was 19 years old and didn't get much playtime because it was the lockout year and Frölunda was pretty stashed with NHL players? Yeah, Alfredsson, Samuel Påhlsson and P.J. Axelsson combined for 40 points in 14 games that year, their second line combined for 38, and their third line had 23. But I'd obviously bench Alfredsson for a 19 year old prospect at that time, who wouldn't? Not like he came off a PPG+ season in Ottawa (and would have a 1.34 PPG season the next year) or something. :sarcasm:

So yeah, he had 0 points playing in a man's league's playoffs on the fourth line/as a 13th forward. He clearly sucks. Oh, what's that? The one time he actually got to play in the playoffs he was 18 and scored 6 points in 10 games? Clearly a fluke.

Edit: Why did I come back here? *facepalm*

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The last 2 times Dallas came to town were fight filled affairs that seemed to bring the team together (2008 Conf champs & 2011 Cup champs).

The Stars (Benn & Fiddler) and the Bruins (in need of an injection of heart & passion) could have used some fisticuffs last night.

We play soooo much better when we play pissed...

Thornton's staged fights don't equal playing pissed... only makes me pissed that play is stopped for that garbage.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I didn't see that effort to change anything from Seguin.

I may have mis-heard last night, but I listened to the 1st and intermission on 98.5 - and Dave Goucher mentioned something along the lines of "the Bruins wanted Seguin to come in and live with one of the teammates, but he wanted to be on his own. He wanted to be an adult - didn't want an off-ice mentor."

Now, that may be old news - but that was the first I'd really heard of it. Did anyone catch that?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Claude Julien nailed it in the pre-game interview when he said the level of compete on this team is unacceptable.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The guy needs to shoot the puck! I've never seen a player pass on so many opportunities...

Eriksson plays the same way he's always played, at every level, with success. He isn't going to change. If anything, Claude's system could change for once to use the skill of certain players instead of the same stupid long stretch passes and the same system that gives up on puck possession all the time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I may have mis-heard last night, but I listened to the 1st and intermission on 98.5 - and Dave Goucher mentioned something along the lines of "the Bruins wanted Seguin to come in and live with one of the teammates, but he wanted to be on his own. He wanted to be an adult - didn't want an off-ice mentor."

Now, that may be old news - but that was the first I'd really heard of it. Did anyone catch that?

I didn't hear that, but it would not surprise me if it was true. The B's (and probably other teams) have a long history of younger players staying with vets. Didn't Bergeron live with Marty Lapointe his rookie year?

It's too bad that Seguin didn't live with a guy like Thornton, things might have turned out much differently.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
You never win trades where you receive the lesser talent.

The Bruins lost on the Joe Thorton trade, Blake Wheeler trade, Phil Kessel deal and they will lose on the Tyler Seguin trade.

You didn't see Chicago panic on Patrick Kane's party lifestyle. Instead they stuck with him and he produces two Cup's in a short period of time.

I think Chia sometimes makes moves when he is determined to bring in a player he is in awe with. His love for Kaberle, Redden and now Iginla shows that.

Some issues with this team right now. SPEED is a big one.

Time to make some small changes. Bring back Spooner.

Time to sit Shawn Thornton.

Conventional wisdom agrees with you, but getting the best player doesn't always improve your team.

You must take other things into consideration.

Things such as salary cap, team needs and that over-used word; chemistry.

The Nomar trade is a good example, as is the Kessel deal, at least in my opinion.

The team getting the best player is not the team that necessarily improved the most.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011

I never heard that but it's interesting and something I always wondered.

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
Totally unacceptable compete level right now. They seem to play hard when they want, or do so as individuals at individual times. No cohesion right now, not enough physical play. Losing puck battles. Can't get the puck out of their own zone. Won't put the puck on net and get a dirty goal. Not enough passion in their play. If they can't get up to punish Dallas last night, what the eff? Chara is pissed, you can tell he wants to throw down with someone, anyone. Bergy is Bergy, the points aren't there, but I'd never question the guy. I actually thought Marchand played a good game last night. But they are not playing as a unit, with a unified passion to win and bet the best.

I'm not sure what the story is, or what it will take to get them to raise their game. The only times I get pissed at our sports teams are when they play below their capacity. And that is now. This team should steamroll some of their latest competition. But they are getting outworked. And that is unacceptable.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I've come to expect this type of play from this team during the regular season after watching them the past few. ho hum another one goal loss (okay they got a point and lost in a shoot out). the thing is rather than dominating lesser teams as they should for some reason they only play to the level of their opponent. the sad thing is every game they have lost so far they could have won. I think the system has a lot to do with it. I am not knocking it (the system) it is great for the playoffs but in the regular season it is what it is.
okay - next game.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Have we learned nothing about this team over the past 3 years. They always play uninspired hockey at the start of the year. Last year they sucked for October and November, came on in the latter half of the year and made there playoff run. They looked better last night, just again not finishing there chances.

I will worry if they are playing bad in December. Then they need to look at a change

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I didn't hear that, but it would not surprise me if it was true. The B's (and probably other teams) have a long history of younger players staying with vets. Didn't Bergeron live with Marty Lapointe his rookie year?

It's too bad that Seguin didn't live with a guy like Thornton, things might have turned out much differently.

I heard that comment. And yes Bergeron stayed with Martin Lapointe his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad