Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose 3-2 in the shootout

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Did Seguin say that? I don't believe so, in fact I believe it was just the opposite. Regarding what us fans saw, Seguin always said the right things. There was never an instance where the coach said he wasn't working hard enough off the ice to my knowledge, in fact just the opposite:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/11/julien-had-no-issues-with-seguin/

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/19/bruins-seguin-turned-to-claude-julien-for-help-during-slump/

Doesn't sound like a Kid who wouldn't put in the work, and it's rather ridiculous there was such a campaign after he left to paint him as one who did. The kid attended one of the most rigorous difficult offseason training camps out there each summer for cripes sake...

Regardless, the premise that Kane's off ice issue would have been treated differently here then guys like Kessel and Seguin's is a leap imo. Both Kessel and Seguin were key players for this team and top producers at a very young age when they were moved, and this on a team players seem to have a harder time matching totals they achieve elsewhere. Couple that with the fact that Kanes off ice issues were far worse, and that he's one of those skill players who play more to the perimeter then in high traffic areas and the argument for Boston likely moving him as they did Kessel, Thornton and Seguin seems far more likely then the alternative.

Didn't you JUST tell me that words were pretty? :D

Seguin's actions said way more to me than whatever soundbites he gave to the media.

You have made several references to Seguin avoiding legal trouble like teammates, and off ice incidents regarding Kane and Kessel.

I can only assume that you are referring to the Lucic "domestic dispute" in the North End two years ago that (as far as I know) ended with no charges or arrests.

Circumstances were a bit different as well. Lucic had been dating his now wife for a pretty long period and this was the only incident (off ice) I have ever heard of. In addition, he had been with the B's for four full seasons at that point, and despite the occasional hiccup, I'm pretty sure the B's were confident in his work ethic, and what he was willing to do (and where he would go) on the ice.

The other thing you look at is how the player responded. Lucic went out the next season and followed his 30 goal campaign with 26 the season after the incident occurred. Then he got married and had a kid, Hopefully, this is pointing towards his maturation as a person, which you hope makes him a more consistent player.

Kane's off ice antics are well documented, but other than a party when he was in college, I was unaware that Kessel had off ice issues (other than his supposed dislike for the gym).

Pure speculation on my part, but I think the B's feared that Seguin would never live up to his great potential and was not a great "fit" for the style of play they employ and that with his off ice lifestyle, more problems were inevitable. They decided to cut him loose before it became more of an issue and his trade value was further tarnished. We will not know for some time if they were right or wrong in giving up on Seguin too early.

If you want to say that the B's should have known better than drafting a player like Seguin and should have traded down and gone with another forward, or taken a guy like Fowler, that is certainly worth discussion.

As far as dealing Seguin, however it works out, I don't have an issue with it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Completely embarrassed by the boo birds being out last night.

Going to the Garden officially isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Some of the "fans' have been terrible. They will "boo" anything without even knowing what they are booing at.

I didn't see you at the "T" station. ;)

Too bad we couldn't get most on this board to go to the games. Now that would be fun. :)

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My first game this year and i thought the crowd was from 2007.
And they toss tshirts again. Wtf.
Horrible

I don't like the t shirt toss either.

I know the B's will pull together and play well...I just hope it is soon.

As far as the crowd...I miss some of the STH that no longer go. Once on awhile I see them but the STH who had seats on the glass have been proced out of their seats .

Oh Well. I usually have fun and refuse to let a few fools ruin it for me.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Some of the "fans' have been terrible. They will "boo" anything without even knowing what they are booing at.

I didn't see you at the "T" station. ;)

Too bad we couldn't get most on this board to go to the games. Now that would be fun. :)

I know, my boyfriend couldn't go to the game last night so I went with a friend and he wanted to grab a drink after and wait for the crowds to clear a bit. Got home a little later than I wanted to. :)

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I also have said for years that it is hard to play the Bruins style at peak level every night. When you have to outwork every team to win games every night it wears on you. This team is not built to be able to play 82 games hard every game. The team is built for the playoffs, 2 months of intense hockey brings out their game.

You make a good point. I am not too worried yet. As long as the players stay healthy I think they will be oK.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
[/B]
I blame dumb-phones. The zombie inducing device.

I don't get how "fans' can be texting when the game is on. I will post here once in awhlie during intermission or a break.

It's weird when people don't even watch the game...what a waste of a seat. It's a shame when there are many who would love to go to and watch the B's play who either can not afford it or live too far away.

Oh well...That is the way it is now.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I know, my boyfriend couldn't go to the game last night so I went with a friend and he wanted to grab a drink after and wait for the crowds to clear a bit. Got home a little later than I wanted to. :)

I saw him a couple of games ago ...by himself. I think you left early to watch the Red Sox ?

I am sure I will see you soon as there are many games. If you ever get there early feel free to come down ;)

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I saw him a couple of games ago ...by himself. I think you left early to watch the Red Sox ?

I am sure I will see you soon as there are many games. If you ever get there early feel free to come down ;)

Yea, I went out after the Bruins game that night to watch the Red Sox game, but he wasn't feeling well so went home. He mentioned seeing you and meeting your daughter.

I'll see you soon...maybe tomorrow!

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I don't get how "fans' can be texting when the game is on. I will post here once in awhlie during intermission or a break.

It's weird when people don't even watch the game...what a waste of a seat. It's a shame when there are many who would love to go to and watch the B's play who either can not afford it or live too far away.

Oh well...That is the way it is now.

Reminds me of when I went to a Rush concert last September, we had box seats and we could see the huge crowd down below us and all you saw was thousands of small white screens because everyone had their phone out. :shakehead

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I don't think Hamilton, Krug, Smith, or Soderberg played enough in a 65 minute game. Both Smith and Soderberg played under 12 minutes. Hamilton was at 17:51. Krug at 17:14.

I'm not sure how much more rope the merlot line will get. Thornton is struggling to keep up IMO. He's getting closed on every time he touches the puck. 9/10 he'll just lob it to Paille's wing and hope Dan can win the foot race or battle. Hate to say it, but at this point he's not generating energy unless he's fighting. And he's not fighting. That line used to be good for one momentum changing shift per game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't think Hamilton, Krug, Smith, or Soderberg played enough in a 65 minute game. Both Smith and Soderberg played under 12 minutes. Hamilton was at 17:51. Krug at 17:14.

I'm not sure how much more rope the merlot line will get. Thornton is struggling to keep up IMO. He's getting closed on every time he touches the puck. 9/10 he'll just lob it to Paille's wing and hope Dan can win the foot race or battle. Hate to say it, but at this point he's not generating energy unless he's fighting. And he's not fighting. That line used to be good for one momentum changing shift per game.

Thought maybe that I was imagining it, but CJ seemed to be short shifting the 3rd line in the third period. Don't know why that was, as I thought they played pretty well?

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Reminds me of when I went to a Rush concert last September, we had box seats and we could see the huge crowd down below us and all you saw was thousands of small white screens because everyone had their phone out. :shakehead

I am old so maybe that is why I don't get how much time people waste on texting/ twitter/ facebook .Kids need to get outside more and get some fresh air.

I spend too much time on the HF board. :laugh:..but I am OLD.

Kaoz*

Didn't you JUST tell me that words were pretty? :D

Seguin's actions said way more to me than whatever soundbites he gave to the media.

You have made several references to Seguin avoiding legal trouble like teammates, and off ice incidents regarding Kane and Kessel.

I can only assume that you are referring to the Lucic "domestic dispute" in the North End two years ago that (as far as I know) ended with no charges or arrests.

Circumstances were a bit different as well. Lucic had been dating his now wife for a pretty long period and this was the only incident (off ice) I have ever heard of. In addition, he had been with the B's for four full seasons at that point, and despite the occasional hiccup, I'm pretty sure the B's were confident in his work ethic, and what he was willing to do (and where he would go) on the ice.

The other thing you look at is how the player responded. Lucic went out the next season and followed his 30 goal campaign with 26 the season after the incident occurred. Then he got married and had a kid, Hopefully, this is pointing towards his maturation as a person, which you hope makes him a more consistent player.

Kane's off ice antics are well documented, but other than a party when he was in college, I was unaware that Kessel had off ice issues (other than his supposed dislike for the gym).

Pure speculation on my part, but I think the B's feared that Seguin would never live up to his great potential and was not a great "fit" for the style of play they employ and that with his off ice lifestyle, more problems were inevitable. They decided to cut him loose before it became more of an issue and his trade value was further tarnished. We will not know for some time if they were right or wrong in giving up on Seguin too early.

If you want to say that the B's should have known better than drafting a player like Seguin and should have traded down and gone with another forward, or taken a guy like Fowler, that is certainly worth discussion.

As far as dealing Seguin, however it works out, I don't have an issue with it.

Haha, I did, that worked out well.

I only made reference of legal issues once, and yes, that was in regards to the Lucic/Brittney juvenile drama... the infamous "do you know who I am" incident and others (her twitter feed was like a knife straight through the brain), not to paint Lucic in a negative light mind you, but to provide an example of other immature behaviour from the core players on this team. But yes, he did marry her and now all is well... kind of lends credence to Tyler's advice ;). Wonder how long it will take Looch to figure out you can't marry the crazy out of people.

Lucic did respond quite well though, but I'm not sure how that relates to Seguin... he seems to be responding well in Dallas?

Regarding Kessel, the gym issues and lack of dedication were the off ice issues I was meaning (unless you count his rumored drug induced alcoholic bout with testicle cancer).

I agree wholeheartedly with your speculation as to why they gave up on Seguin, and the discussion I was looking to have was on the Bruins ability to draft and develop first round picks who both fit the system and style of the Bruins. We could have traded down and got a great pick as well as potentially another significant piece instead. Instead they seem to draft those highly skilled perimeter types who they don't seem to have the patience to develop into a player that could and would fit into this system (Marc Savard is a prime example that they can fit eventually). Two years later, Phil Kessel sure would look good in a Bruins jersey, and without a doubt in another two years Seguin would look even better.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia

It is ime to sit Thorton and play Caron in his place in certain games . Thorton is great to have on your team just not very good to play in alot of games

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm still trying to figure out why it's the crowd's fault they lost last night?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If you think last night's booing was bad then just wait until tomorrow night. If people are really bothered by the booing go invest in some earplugs. No amount of crying on an internet message board is going to change anything.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Early season slump, nothing to worry about here.

The Bruins seem to be back to where they were a couple of years back, when they just couldn't score a goal.

Same old story, PP is terrible and the players just can't bury their chances.

It will come young Jedis, patience is a virtue, and the playoffs are the only thing that matters.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
C'mon now, no one blamed the crowd.....

Yeah, some did. Along the vein of "Tyler will hear the boos and be motivated."

He was largely quiet last night with the puck on his stick. 2 shots on goal, +1. That's it. Yep, beaut of a s/o goal, but it's no surprise that in an uncontested 1-1 situation where he doesn't have to fight off a check that he'd be able to get a nice shot off.

But for all the discussion in the GDT last night, you'd think he massively dominated and the boos propelled him to an epic performance.

Perception is a crazy thing.

The handwringing over the crowd is hilarious.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Haha, I did, that worked out well.

I only made reference of legal issues once, and yes, that was in regards to the Lucic/Brittney juvenile drama... the infamous "do you know who I am" incident and others (her twitter feed was like a knife straight through the brain), not to paint Lucic in a negative light mind you, but to provide an example of other immature behaviour from the core players on this team. But yes, he did marry her and now all is well... kind of lends credence to Tyler's advice ;). Wonder how long it will take Looch to figure out you can't marry the crazy out of people.

Lucic did respond quite well though, but I'm not sure how that relates to Seguin... he seems to be responding well in Dallas?

Regarding Kessel, the gym issues and lack of dedication were the off ice issues I was meaning (unless you count his rumored drug induced alcoholic bout with testicle cancer).

I agree wholeheartedly with your speculation as to why they gave up on Seguin, and the discussion I was looking to have was on the Bruins ability to draft and develop first round picks who both fit the system and style of the Bruins. We could have traded down and got a great pick as well as potentially another significant piece instead. Instead they seem to draft those highly skilled perimeter types who they don't seem to have the patience to develop into a player that could and would fit into this system (Marc Savard is a prime example that they can fit eventually). Two years later, Phil Kessel sure would look good in a Bruins jersey, and without a doubt in another two years Seguin would look even better.

That's the tricky part, lol.

Who could have predicted that a guy like Savard who was not physical, had moved around a bit and with rumors about not being a great teammate, blah, blah, blah, would turn out to fit in so well? What makes a guy like Savard, or Krejci potentially different than a Kessel or Seguin?

Chemistry is a funny thing.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I will take an early season start over the hot start and anemic January-March this team usually has.

Ya exactly

The pieces are in place, id rather they struggle with chemistry and consistency now and find it later when the time is right

My only concern is the new wild card system and i dont want the bruins to end up in a dog fight for points and over work rask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad