Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose 3-2 in the shootout

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Had a blast tonight at y'all's place. Didn't get too much flake from many folks outside of the drunk college aged guys that screamed at me after the game, but was expecting way worse with a Seguin jersey on. Don't understand booing a guy who helped get you to two finals in three years (helped or was at least just on the team depending on what Bruin fan you talk to it seems like). Anyways, great time. Good luck the rest of the year until we meet in Big D!

Glad you enjoyed the game. I sure didn't :sarcasm::laugh:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Have we learned nothing about this team over the past 3 years. They always play uninspired hockey at the start of the year. Last year they sucked for October and November, came on in the latter half of the year and made there playoff run. They looked better last night, just again not finishing there chances.

I will worry if they are playing bad in December. Then they need to look at a change

They didn't play last october and november.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I may have mis-heard last night, but I listened to the 1st and intermission on 98.5 - and Dave Goucher mentioned something along the lines of "the Bruins wanted Seguin to come in and live with one of the teammates, but he wanted to be on his own. He wanted to be an adult - didn't want an off-ice mentor."

Now, that may be old news - but that was the first I'd really heard of it. Did anyone catch that?

I did. In retrospect the Bruins should have insisted.

Kaoz*

So, then you would say, it's probably accurate to say that the B's had an issue with Seguin off ice and his on ice style of play as well?

It'd be silly to say otherwise, the question isn't did they, the question is were those fears valid or simply a convenient excuse.

I will disagree with you on Kane. He might be a richard off the ice, but he has done nothing but produce since he entered the league. We did not hear the entire conversation on "Behind the B", but Kane was specifically mentioned and I would bet it was because someone compared Seguin to Kane. Then Bradley (or Benning) gave their "if he had produced half of what Kane did" comment. I don't think the B's were in love with his off ice antics, but if he had continued to produce in the PO's (like Kane) and the B's won the Cup, Seguin would still be here IMO. It was the combo of poor production, off ice immaturity, and lack of grit (or whatever you want to call it) that did him in.

Words are pretty, but often irrelevant. Revisionist history might state that the Bruins had an issue with Seguins production but that doesn't change the absolute fact that in the two years the kid was in the top 6 he lead this team in points in 1, and 3rd in the lockout shortened one (trailing Krejci by just 1, which isn't bad considering he apparently didn't meet expectations). If last years post season was the entirety of the production issue then all I can say is "wow, shortsighted". One season does not a career make. Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Marchand and the like have all had at least 1 post season in which they were mediocre. And as stated before, that Kelly, Paille, Seguin line was one of the best in the finals both defensively and offensively. With the time they saw on the ice they produced as much or more then lines one and two.

I don' t think production is the difference here. Would Kane have come in and shown the same commitment to the defensive end while maintaining those gaudy numbers? I doubt it. And the off ice issues with Kane were far worse then they were with Seguin... at least Seguin avoided legal trouble (something some of his other teammates at the same age or older weren't able to do).

I know Spooner was a 2nd round pick and not #2, but I heard that they weren't overly thrilled with some of the facets of his game last year in PRO despite the production. Instead of saying, I had a damn good year as a rookie, **** them, I'm going to continue to do things my way, he busted his ass this off season, and looks much better than he did last year from a defensive and conditioning standpoint.

I didn't see that effort to change anything from Seguin.

Did Seguin say that? I don't believe so, in fact I believe it was just the opposite. Regarding what us fans saw, Seguin always said the right things. There was never an instance where the coach said he wasn't working hard enough off the ice to my knowledge, in fact just the opposite:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/11/julien-had-no-issues-with-seguin/
“There were no issues between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it. I worked with him as a hockey player, and I dealt with him as a person,” said Julien, per CSN New England. “There were no issues that I know about. I thought we had a good relationship. I told him that I thought he really worked hard during the Finals.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/06/19/bruins-seguin-turned-to-claude-julien-for-help-during-slump/
“I just wanted to talk to someone and see how I could contribute,” he said. “It was frustrating not scoring goals but I wanted to create chances, and as we’ve seen in this series if your line is working hard you’ll get rewarded.”

Doesn't sound like a Kid who wouldn't put in the work, and it's rather ridiculous there was such a campaign after he left to paint him as one who did. The kid attended one of the most rigorous difficult offseason training camps out there each summer for cripes sake...

I firmly believe that some time in the AHL for a lot of these Top 10 picks at age 18 and 19 would be good for them. I know the CHL was considering changing that rule (not sure if they did) so that first round picks under 20 could play in the A. Would have liked to have seen that, particularly with Seguin.

I agree completely. It would be nice to see that allowance made, and I remember Dom mentioning before that talks for just such a contigency were taking place. Not exactly sure how that played out, but it hasn't been implemented yet. Whether sending Seguin there would have helped is in my opinion another story... I think he would have been better served by another year in junior and a chance to play for TC more so then a year or two in Provo.

Regardless, the premise that Kane's off ice issue would have been treated differently here then guys like Kessel and Seguin's is a leap imo. Both Kessel and Seguin were key players for this team and top producers at a very young age when they were moved, and this on a team players seem to have a harder time matching totals they achieve elsewhere. Couple that with the fact that Kanes off ice issues were far worse, and that he's one of those skill players who play more to the perimeter then in high traffic areas and the argument for Boston likely moving him as they did Kessel, Thornton and Seguin seems far more likely then the alternative.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Meh, we should've won. Our lack of discipline keeps finding its way to F us over late in games. Bergy's up-and-over the glass penalty a couple games ago, the team giving Fiddler a breakaway and Seidenberg giving him a penalty shot. We should'a had this one just like the NJ game.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I fully believe we win last night if not for that horrible linechange and that missed call at the end (Clode almost went Roy on the ref :laugh:).

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I also have said for years that it is hard to play the Bruins style at peak level every night. When you have to outwork every team to win games every night it wears on you. This team is not built to be able to play 82 games hard every game. The team is built for the playoffs, 2 months of intense hockey brings out their game.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I believe the B's will pull it together.

I think Bergy's line will start producing soon.

The third line who knows.

The crowds have been terrible this year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The third line has been better than the 2nd in the vast majority of games I have watched this year.

If the B's can get the 2nd line going, however it's constituted, I think the 3rd line will be fine.

qc

Aug 23, 2011

Yeah this is definitely a good observation. Classless booing of 19 & 49 aside, the crowd just seems to be eerily quiet for long stretches. Not that the product has been great, but I remember the crowd's energy level to be much higher- even when we weren't a playoff team. I'll chalk it up as a post-World Series hangover for now.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The third line has been better than the 2nd in the vast majority of games I have watched this year.

If the B's can get the 2nd line going, however it's constituted, I think the 3rd line will be fine.

I hope you are right. I like Smith. After the terrible season the 3d line had last year they can't be worse. I think they look better than last year.

I believe Bergy's line will get it going soon.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

My first game this year and i thought the crowd was from 2007.
And they toss tshirts again. Wtf.
Horrible

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I also have said for years that it is hard to play the Bruins style at peak level every night. When you have to outwork every team to win games every night it wears on you. This team is not built to be able to play 82 games hard every game. The team is built for the playoffs, 2 months of intense hockey brings out their game.

this. unfortunately some people on this board will never get it.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL

I think this a valid point...similar to when they dominate the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period when they are down a goal or two....PK can't be 20th in the league though !!!

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Completely embarrassed by the boo birds being out last night.

Going to the Garden officially isn't as much fun as it used to be.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010

This is bad excuse for team that has been sleepwalking through half of schedule for last several years. They are veteran team, and they turn the effort switch on/off depending on their level of involvement at any particular point of schedule. This is not good news for the paying customers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad