Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose 3-2 in the shootout

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Had a blast tonight at y'all's place. Didn't get too much flake from many folks outside of the drunk college aged guys that screamed at me after the game, but was expecting way worse with a Seguin jersey on. Don't understand booing a guy who helped get you to two finals in three years (helped or was at least just on the team depending on what Bruin fan you talk to it seems like). Anyways, great time. Good luck the rest of the year until we meet in Big D!

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Were playing bad and still have the 5th best record in the Eastern Conference with games in hand

This team will be just fine give em some more time to gel and Bergeron and Campbell to get to 100%

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Had a blast tonight at y'all's place. Didn't get too much flake from many folks outside of the drunk college aged guys that screamed at me after the game, but was expecting way worse with a Seguin jersey on. Don't understand booing a guy who helped get you to two finals in three years (helped or was at least just on the team depending on what Bruin fan you talk to it seems like). Anyways, great time. Good luck the rest of the year until we meet in Big D!

He wasn't much of a factor in the 2011 regular season from what I remember. He helped the team get past TBL in 2011 and that's the main thing he did. Other players did a lot more than he did in 2011.

He had a good season in 2013. But he was a ghost in the playoffs.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I did not understand the ferocious booing of Tyler. He did lay a turd during the 2013 playoffs but he helped win a Cup in 2011 by turning around the Tampa series in Game 2 when it was looking like the Bruins might be going down 0-2. He may have played below expectations during his Bruins years and he may not have fit in with what the organization wanted from him but he was a decent player for his time here. I thought that he was going to get a better reception than what he got. When they played a video of his Bruins highlights the crowd barely reacted to it.

I also thought that Peverley deserved a better reception than what he got.

I hope that Timmy Thomas gets the reception that he deserves on Thursday.
Seguin was roundly slammed on his way out of town. The fan reactions are to be expected.

THE ARS*

What aren't you getting?

Horton was a similar producer for a non-playoff team in FLA and was good in the playoffs. I still have not seen one shred of evidence that says Eriksson can't do the same. Come see me when you have that.

Erikson 22 GP 4 - 5 - 9

Seguin 48 GP 6 - 12 - 18

Erikson's Swedish numbers are not very impressive either, how about 0 - 0 - 0 in 12 games in '05?

I hope you're right about him.

Last edited by a moderator:

UtahBs

Jan 23, 2010
I don't post much, but what bothers me is how everyone can be so bleh (for lack of a better word) about the Bruins tonight. It feels to me that if a player is a straight up goal scorer (like seguin) then he's fair game to complain about because he's not a 'two way player'. Guess what? Boston will never be an entire team of Bergerons and Charas, and thank God for that. Sometimes you need a player who smokes down the wing and SHOOTS to get the ****ing genos. So seguin parties a lot, so what? He got Dallas an extra point tonight, and believe it or not, louie's fantastic board play didn't. Now, I'm totally for the trade, stoked about it really, but why can't Boston have a sniper? Ever? Personally, it irritates me that we can (as fans) complain about other fans who are just bugged about slow two way play. I get that the bruins play a team two way game, but is it so wrong to just want ONE sniper who might be soft on the team?

I know I'm ranting, but i think that a message board for fans should be a place where everyone shares their opinion as fans. Personally, as a fan, I'm just flat out DISAPPOINTED in the team i grew up watching right now. Grab the popcorn, or whatever, but boston looks straight up flat right now.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
That was um....interesting.

Loved what came in the first period, then for whatever reason the air came out of the tires and the intensity just seemed evaporate. Fiddler's penalty shot came as the result of a bad, bad change. Can't fault Seids there, did what he felt he needed to do after it was obvious Fiddler was gonna go in uncontested. I was hopeful that the Bruins would see Fiddler literally stroking his stick as he skated by them and respond at least a little bit, ratchet up the intensity in the waning minutes, but nope. That was disconcerting to me.

I got hopeful when Marchand looked great for the first 15 minutes along with the rest of his line, then they kinda faded. I still don't feel like Bergeron's all the way on board yet; again, not saying he sucks (tradehim11!!1) but I just think physically he's not there yet. Just out of whack.

Like that the third line came right back after giving up Benn's goal and knocked one in on their own. Very thrilled that Soderberg-Kelly-Smith are back together; that line was so solid to start and they seemed to pick right back up again.

Merlot was as non-existent as they can be in 10 minutes TOI.

Dougie impressing the third game in a row. Couldn't love his game more right now.

Meh. They got a point, but I'm pretty meh about that one. Flat, needing a spark, whatever. Yeah, it's November (and I'm usually one of those cautious, give 'em time folks) but something about tonight's effort just rubbed me the wrong way.

FLA GDT will be up around dinnertime. Don't plan to put a ton of effort into it...not unlike the local fellas. Not doing much inspirational at the moment.

ytownhockey10

tornado of souls
Mar 8, 2010
in the salt
Looks like I didn't miss much.

Only question what happened with Benn and McQuaid?

mcquaid holds a puck in the ozone and takes a bump from benn - puck jumps out into the neutral zone in mcquaid's feet and he takes a couple crosschecks from benn. mcquaid give it back and drops the gloves, gives one shot to benn and gets the sole 2:00 for roughing. laaaaame.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
we just are not consistent right now.
good first 20.
i thought marchand was a threat all game, and shouldve been on the power plays instead of smith. puck seemed to be going to marchand last nite. not sure why he didnt see much pp time.

missed delay of game call was brutal. how do 4 refs miss that? did they change the rule, where if you hit an airborne puck over the glass its not a penalty, or did they just botch that call like the NHL is known for??
crowd was dead. seemed like a crowd pre 2008 season.

looch was skating like he was 300 pounds last nite. shouldve been benched after the first period.

i dont miss the ride home from the games thats for sure.
sucks getting home at 12, getting up at 2 for a baby , then waking up at 5 for work.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
we just are not consistent right now.
good first 20.
i thought marchand was a threat all game, and shouldve been on the power plays instead of smith. puck seemed to be going to marchand last nite. not sure why he didnt see much pp time.

missed delay of game call was brutal. how do 4 refs miss that? did they change the rule, where if you hit an airborne puck over the glass its not a penalty, or did they just botch that call like the NHL is known for??
crowd was dead. seemed like a crowd pre 2008 season.

looch was skating like he was 300 pounds last nite. shouldve been benched after the first period.

i dont miss the ride home from the games thats for sure.
sucks getting home at 12, getting up at 2 for a baby , then waking up at 5 for work.

Dont let the shots on goal fool you, The stars had just as many scoring chances. And can you blame the crowd ? This team is so boring its not funny. Whats a bad sign to me is we are getting pushed around and out worked on most nights.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Anyone else think the penalty shot call was a dive? Seids got his stick into the hands of the Star and he went down like he had his legs chopped out from underneath him.

Kaoz*

I think this was sarcasm...mostly.

I see a lot of people on here saying Tyler didn't want to be traded, and that it was all Chia, etc., etc. blah, blah, blah, and while that's technically true, Seguin played a very large part. If he had kept his nose clean, he would still be in Boston. Does everybody think Chia wanted to trade his #2 pick, a kid that was supposed to be the centerpiece of this franchise for the next decade? I highly doubt it. Makes the B's look bad, like they didn't do their homework. If Seguin hadn't given the B's a reason to think they made a mistake by trusting him with a long term 6 mil per deal, someone else would have been dealt.

Kid was 21, a millionaire, and owned Boston, but he didn't want to be part of the B's culture. He put himself before the team, and with Chara aging, the B's couldn't wait for Seguin to grow up. He gets to go to a non-hockey city, where he will be under less of a microscope and also likely won't win for a couple of years. Kid is still getting paid a ton of $$$ to play hockey so no tears for him from me.

I liked Seguin's advice to other top 5 picks coming to this city, "get married at the age of 18". Had a pretty good chuckle on that one, mostly because it rings incredibly true. As I've mentioned before, this city seems to respect the guy who has to really put the work in in order to get to that next level, and turns on those players who the high end skill comes naturally to (argue it all you want but there are three pretty good recent test cases we can easily refer back to). The expectations for the guys with the high end natural skill is through the roof and unrealistic. Joe Thornton needed to be a PPG player in the post season with smashed ribs even though he was developing into one of the premier forwards in the league and any team would be glad to have him. Phil Kessel needed to be a complete 3 zone player even though he was dropping 36 goals a year at the age of 21. Seguin needed to be the consummate professional on and off the ice at 21 years old even though he was already the teams top offensive producer, participated in Biosteel camps every off-season, and seemed to have quite a good report with the rest of the team.

Chia made a hockey decision that may or may not work out... he took a risk because he thought the other pieces the Bruins have and received better fit the system. The true test of that theory will happen this post season so it's useless to analyse until then. Eriksson is pretty scary right now though, as the key piece coming back in that deal he doesn't seem like he's come anywhere close to replacing Seguin on that Bergeron line. That line has been as good or better then the Krejci line the past two seasons (last years playoffs being the outlier in that regard), and this year we're essentially a 1 line team. Eriksson needs to be better, and fast. It would be interesting to see the spin if Dallas makee it further in the playoffs then Boston.

End of the day, the Bruins have a ****** track record of developing first round picks, especially those they draft in the top 5 (which for most teams are can't misses). That's an issue, and a very scary one as most of the elite talent in the league is acquired with those picks. Boston still manages to put together one of the more competitive teams in the league with their system however and they're a damn good team but how much better would they be if they had the patience and the ability to develop those types properly? Maybe they wouldn't have to ride that fine edge that often sees any game against any opponent, no matter how much better or worse the Bruins are on paper, go either way.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I liked Seguin's advice to other top 5 picks coming to this city, "get married at the age of 18". Had a pretty good chuckle on that one, mostly because it rings incredibly true. As I've mentioned before, this city seems to respect the guy who has to really put the work in in order to get to that next level, and turns on those players who the high end skill comes naturally to (argue it all you want but there are three pretty good recent test cases we can easily refer back to). The expectations for the guys with the high end natural skill is through the roof and unrealistic. Joe Thornton needed to be a PPG player in the post season with smashed ribs even though he was developing into one of the premier forwards in the league and any team would be glad to have him. Phil Kessel needed to be a complete 3 zone player even though he was dropping 36 goals a year at the age of 21. Seguin needed to be the consummate professional on and off the ice at 21 years old even though he was already the teams top offensive producer, participated in Biosteel camps every off-season, and seemed to have quite a good report with the rest of the team.

Chia made a hockey decision that may or may not work out... he took a risk because he thought the other pieces the Bruins have and received better fit the system. The true test of that theory will happen this post season so it's useless to analyse until then. Eriksson is pretty scary right now though, as the key piece coming back in that deal he doesn't seem like he's come anywhere close to replacing Seguin on that Bergeron line. That line has been as good or better then the Krejci line the past two seasons (last years playoffs being the outlier in that regard), and this year we're essentially a 1 line team. Eriksson needs to be better, and fast. It would be interesting to see the spin if Dallas makee it further in the playoffs then Boston.

End of the day, the Bruins have a ****** track record of developing first round picks, especially those they draft in the top 5 (which for most teams are can't misses). That's an issue, and a very scary one as most of the elite talent in the league is acquired with those picks. Boston still manages to put together one of the more competitive teams in the league with their system however and they're a damn good team but how much better would they be if they had the patience and the ability to develop those types properly? Maybe they wouldn't have to ride that fine edge that often sees any game against any opponent, no matter how much better or worse the Bruins are on paper, go either way.

Just top 5 picks ?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
60 minutes

I hope folks don't feel like I'm taking their posts out of context, but:

Whats a bad sign to me is we are getting pushed around and out worked on most nights.

Meh. They got a point, but I'm pretty meh about that one. Flat, needing a spark, whatever. Yeah, it's November (and I'm usually one of those cautious, give 'em time folks) but something about tonight's effort just rubbed me the wrong way.

They need to find their focus. The execution is just not there. Too many almost plays, and lapses of defense coverage. Fourth line not providing any energy or sparks when they need it. Like others have said they are just going through the motions.

long stretches where the Bruins just get dominated by the opposition. Also, an almost complete lack of ability to finish an offensive chance.

It's frustrating.

that's how I feel when I watch these games. The system and talent we have should have us winning a whole lot more. And I, too, am typically part of the "it's early in the season" crowd but I don't think they've put together a ton of 60 minute efforts - even going back to last February. And that's a head scratcher. I'm puzzled and frustrated by that puzzlement.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Thankfully Dougie was chosen 9th:sarcasm:

Another inconsistent effort by another team in the East who`s played inconsistent since game 1. Outside of a few teams, thankfully, almost all Eastern Conference teams hardly bringing it

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I wouldn't boo myself, not really my thing, but I do understand why some fans were booing Seguin last night. There was a lot of promise for the #2 overall pick in the draft, and people thought they were getting a franchise player that would be here for 10+ years. I think the way it ended with the off-ice rumors coming out about him had something to do with it, but I also think that people just saw a player that wasn't always 100% committed when he was here, and they didn't see a ton of improvement. And now they see him lighting it up with Dallas, so people feel a little let down by the player. Anyway, that's just me trying to get into the heads of others.

As for the game, it is really quite simple now. The effort just isn't there consistently enough. Plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with this team's personnel, IMO. They have the players and coaching staff to be one of the best teams in the league. They just need to find their game. It's frustrating watching them play as badly as they have in stretches, but I believe it will click for them eventually.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If I hadn't seen these same types of efforts & results throughout patches of the regular season the past few years, I'd be concerned.

I'll reserve judgment for the playoffs, and just enjoy these regular season games for what they are.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wouldn't boo myself, not really my thing, but I do understand why some fans were booing Seguin last night. There was a lot of promise for the #2 overall pick in the draft, and people thought they were getting a franchise player that would be here for 10+ years. I think the way it ended with the off-ice rumors coming out about him had something to do with it, but I also think that people just saw a player that wasn't always 100% committed when he was here, and they didn't see a ton of improvement. And now they see him lighting it up with Dallas, so people feel a little let down by the player. Anyway, that's just me trying to get into the heads of others.

As for the game, it is really quite simple now. The effort just isn't there consistently enough. Plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with this team's personnel, IMO. They have the players and coaching staff to be one of the best teams in the league. They just need to find their game. It's frustrating watching them play as badly as they have in stretches, but I believe it will click for them eventually.

Came out flying, and seemed to be frustrated and had nothing left after that. Not acceptable nor am I worried, not sure why, this team with this coach, personnel...I just don`t have a huge amount of concern

Watching teams in the East outside of the Pens all struggle with finding their game

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The guy needs to shoot the puck! I've never seen a player pass on so many opportunities...

It`s the paradox of offensive slumps. This team has trouble scoring, and not surprisingly, up to last night, seemed like most just gripping the sticks, waiting for the perfect pass lane to open etc.. when they need to just close their eyes and shoot

remer

Oct 18, 2005
You never win trades where you receive the lesser talent.

The Bruins lost on the Joe Thorton trade, Blake Wheeler trade, Phil Kessel deal and they will lose on the Tyler Seguin trade.

You didn't see Chicago panic on Patrick Kane's party lifestyle. Instead they stuck with him and he produces two Cup's in a short period of time.

I think Chia sometimes makes moves when he is determined to bring in a player he is in awe with. His love for Kaberle, Redden and now Iginla shows that.

Some issues with this team right now. SPEED is a big one.

Time to make some small changes. Bring back Spooner.

Time to sit Shawn Thornton.

Kaoz*

Just top 5 picks ?

Not at all.

Year | Rnd | Ovr | Player
1999 | 1 | 21 | Nick Boynton
2000 | 1 | 7 | Lars Jonsson
2000 | 1 | 27 | Martin Samuelsson
2001 | 1 | 19 | Shaone Morrisonn
2002 | 1 | 29 | Hannu Toivonen
2003 | 1 | 21 | Mark Stuart
2005 | 1 | 22 | Matt Lashoff
2006 | 1 | 5 | Phil Kessel
2007 | 1 | 8 | Zach Hamill
2008 | 1 | 16 | Joe Colborne
2009 | 1 | 25 | Jordan Caron
2010 | 1 | 2 | Tyler Seguin
2011 | 1 | 9 | Dougie Hamilton

Is there a team with a worse record drafting and developing first round prospects over the last decade?

Thankfully Dougie was chosen 9th:sarcasm:

Another inconsistent effort by another team in the East who`s played inconsistent since game 1. Outside of a few teams, thankfully, almost all Eastern Conference teams hardly bringing it

1/12 ain't that bad I spose.

Boston needs to trade all their first rounders for seconds.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I got a chuckle from that too, but for different reasons than you I think. I laughed because it's typical behavior of someone that knows he's wrong about something, but makes a smartass comment to deflect their own responsibility in the situation.

B's had issues with Kessel and Seguin, but it had more to do with their style of play than where they were drafted. Would have been the same story if they were picked in a later round, only they would have gotten less rope (in Seguin's case). We know the B's wanted Backstrom over Kessel that year, do you think they would have had a problem developing him or Toews? Duchene? Landeskog? Huberdeau? Plug in any Top 5 player that had an ounce of maturity and realized that he had some responsibility for the millions he was being paid, and I think the B's would have been OK with that.

If Seguin was my kid, or if one of my children was lucky enough to be getting paid millions for their job at 21, the team or the company would not need to be talking to them about their "behavior", because I would have already had that conversation. Why does it seem to be the trend in society today to deflect blame and accountability away from the "guilty" parties? Seguin gets paid to do a job, parties too much, gets kicked out of his house, comes to the rink in Toronto in the same clothes 3 days in a row, needs a babysitter outside his room, plays like **** in the PO's...and then it's the B's fault for not "developing" him properly.

Ummm, sure.

I don't remember having those issues with Bergeron, Krejci, etc., or more recently with guys like Krug, Hamilton, Rask.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not at all.

Year | Rnd | Ovr | Player
1999 | 1 | 21 | Nick Boynton
2000 | 1 | 7 | Lars Jonsson
2000 | 1 | 27 | Martin Samuelsson
2001 | 1 | 19 | Shaone Morrisonn
2002 | 1 | 29 | Hannu Toivonen
2003 | 1 | 21 | Mark Stuart
2005 | 1 | 22 | Matt Lashoff
2006 | 1 | 5 | Phil Kessel
2007 | 1 | 8 | Zach Hamill
2008 | 1 | 16 | Joe Colborne
2009 | 1 | 25 | Jordan Caron
2010 | 1 | 2 | Tyler Seguin
2011 | 1 | 9 | Dougie Hamilton

Is there a team with a worse record drafting and developing first round prospects over the last decade?

1/12 ain't that bad I spose.

Boston needs to trade all their first rounders for seconds.

Oh I`m not arguing against ya, proof is in the puddin;)

Strangely, it feels like the powers that be settle down after the first round and really focus and draft reasonably sound picks from then onward. Most bizarre thing

One could say it`s inexact science for sure, the Oilers have been perennial 1st overall pickers and have done squat with that talent too, but clearly they have a far more skilled group than the list you posted;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad