Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm aware of Moore's size but he doesn't play like a big or overly strong guy. He's hard enough on the puck but he's not really one to throw his weight around - Clifton's 5'11" and plays a more physical game than Moore does. Carlo's comfortably bigger at 6'5" and yeah he can take care of himself, but again even he's not a 'heavy' player. That's no criticism of either of them, it's just how they are.

The point is that Miller brings something in his physicality and strength that is in fairly short supply on the Bruins. Moore is an equally capable defenseman but plays in a similar way to a number of others. If one of them has to go, and I reckon one does if we're serious about another Cup tilt, then I'd reluctantly choose Moore.

I like all our D however I believe Moore is already on a very team friendly contract? Which either makes him more valuable to the bruins and/or to another team. Tough call but position of strength.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like all our D however I believe Moore is already on a very team friendly contract? Which either makes him more valuable to the bruins and/or to another team. Tough call but position of strength.

I would say so. Miller's on the last year of a $2.5 mil contract after which he becomes a UFA. He's 31 and has clear question marks over his future ability to stay healthy for long periods.

Moore's younger at 28 and has 3 and a half years left on a fairly reasonable $2.75 mil p.a. contract. Yes he'll have a question mark too coming back from major surgery but he's only had one particular injury whereas Miller is older and has had a couple plus setbacks.

Clearly there's a risk in keeping Miller that he may never be able to consistently perform at the level he used to. But his upside as a fairly unique piece in the Bruins' defensive pack is quite high, and Moore's definitely going to be more attractive on the trade table and can potentially deliver higher value to Boston in exchange. If the Bruins were primarily focused on 3-4 years down the track then retaining Moore would probably be the better option. But the time is now, so take a punt on Miller coming good and put Moore in the mix alongside Backes and whatever else it reasonably takes to get the forward help we need.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
And probably be responsible for many goals.

Listen, I get that he's a sentimental favourite, but how can anyone advocate Miller ahead of our top six D right now?

He's in the mix for the 3rd pair for me, no more than that. But that's useful in itself. Injuries happen, and having an experienced guy around who knows the B's structure inside out and can come in and be assertive on the ice is handy to have, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Listen, I get that he's a sentimental favourite, but how can anyone advocate Miller ahead of our top six D right now?
One of the biggest issues (IMO) in the playoffs is that the bigger team beat up on the B's. Maroon was skating around in the pregame threatening Krug and Pasta. I truly believe if Miller (or Quaider) had been out on the ice that would not have happened.

I know the B's like Miller and he IS a leader.

I guess we will see. I hope Kevan plays. I think he is a very decent d man.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Based on what? Sounds like emotional reasoning as opposed to fact.

Boston's D is deep and not certain there is room for Miller or Moore. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. And certainly not a reason to make crap up out of thin air about a player who's been a warrior for us.

He'll either get back into the lineup and produce or he won't. No reason for "fans" to slag him off, though.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I missed him. He would have been nice to have in the Playoffs.

I understand that Miller is well liked by fans (especially those who cherish toughness) and is apparently well liked by his teammates, but the fact is that Boston made it to the SCF without him and is off to a torrid start this season without him. This is why I say that he hasn't been missed. I really don't see how he is better than any of our current top 3 RHD, although I do expect that he and Clifton will alternate, if only so that Boston can show to the rest of the league that Miller is healthy, which would make it easier for the Bruins to trade him.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I understand that Miller is well liked by fans (especially those who cherish toughness) and is apparently well liked by his teammates, but the fact is that Boston made it to the SCF without him and is off to a torrid start this season without him. This is why I say that he hasn't been missed. I really don't see how he is better than any of our current top 3 RHD, although I do expect that he and Clifton will alternate, if only so that Boston can show to the rest of the league that Miller is healthy, which would make it easier for the Bruins to trade him.
Well I don't agree with you. Maybe the B's would have WON the cup if we had a player like Miller . I bet the B's wouldn't say he hasn't been missed.

I DO believe having some toughness can make the difference especially if the other team is a big tough team.

Reactions: Number8

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
One of the biggest issues (IMO) in the playoffs is that the bigger team beat up on the B's. Maroon was skating around in the pregame threatening Krug and Pasta. I truly believe if Miller (or Quaider) had been out on the ice that would not have happened.

I know the B's like Miller and he IS a leader.

I guess we will see. I hope Kevan plays. I think he is a very decent d man.
If the Bruins lost because the Blues hurt Krug and Pasta's feelings, then they deserved to lose.

Fact is, the offense didn't show up. Let's not try and make it seem like the team missed the presence of a 7th D.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Well I don't agree with you. Maybe the B's would have WON the cup if we had a player like Miller . I bet the B's wouldn't say he hasn't been missed.

I DO believe having some toughness can make the difference especially if the other team is a big tough team.
They were a game away from winning the cup because the top six couldn't buy a goal 5 on 5 for most of the series. You're severely overestimating the effect of a spare D.

Better question is this: who do you take out of the lineup to sub in Miller?

Reactions: Estlin

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I love Miller. To me He was a career 3rd pair defenseman that continued working and developing until he became a legitimate top 4 at his peak. He had superior toughness with smoother skating and cleaner crisper outlets. He could play shutdown minutes with another capable defender or mentor kids while being flexible enough to play offside. He is still my 7th D until we have an inevitable injury. Moore 8 and Kampfer 9. Clifton 6.

If the team views him as number 7 I wonder if he is comfortable extending his rehab period. What if the Bruins value Moore over him. I don’t but Cassidy may.

If we make a trade I hope it’s Moore. I won’t be angry if a deal does or doesn’t happen.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If the Bruins lost because the Blues hurt Krug and Pasta's feelings, then they deserved to lose.

Fact is, the offense didn't show up. Let's not try and make it seem like the team missed the presence of a 7th D.
The B's were injured (NOT their feelings). The reason the offense had a tough time was due to injuries (the top line).

Reactions: BBB24

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
They were a game away from winning the cup because the top six couldn't buy a goal 5 on 5 for most of the series. You're severely overestimating the effect of a spare D.

Better question is this: who do you take out of the lineup to sub in Miller?
What you aren't getting is that a little toughness would have helped. Kevan wasn't considered a "spare" D before he was injured.

Reactions: mg08

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think Moore is going to be a potential expansion draft fodder, so they may keep him over Miller, since Miller is an upcoming UFA. IF it were up to me I'd trade Moore and alternate Clifton/Miller all year so that both are fresh in the playoffs.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think Moore is going to be a potential expansion draft fodder, so they may keep him over Miller, since Miller is an upcoming UFA. IF it were up to me I'd trade Moore and alternate Clifton/Miller all year so that both are fresh in the playoffs.

All of Gryz, Clifton and Moore will likely be exposed in the expansion draft. They'll protect Krug, Carlo and McAvoy. Which one would you take?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
All of Gryz, Clifton and Moore will likely be exposed in the expansion draft. They'll protect Krug, Carlo and McAvoy. Which one would you take?
Not saying they will but Boston could poison pill Gryz's contract to keep Seattle away

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Seattle would take Gryz easily, however I was thinking more along the line that the Bruins will pay an extra pick or prospect for Seattle to choose Moore over someone like Gryz/Clifton.

Moore would be an attractive pick for them still, as he's cost controlled, signed multiple years, and he'll only be 29 or 30 once the draft happens.

aguineapig

Only thing I know about the Bruins cap is I have an "Old Time Hockey" one in this mess somewhere that the kid bought me years ago. So when Dom posts about it I read and try to comprehend, but I only go back to 10th grade Algebra when i wondered who put the letters in where the numbers should be? So my thoughts would be if we can afford it cap wise, keep 'em all. Depth on D is paramount in a deep playoff run, and Miller's mitts are a plus in a combat situation like the other night. Hold your chips, see how Bjork and Heinen progress, maybe Ritchie and see where you stand at deadline as far as health and other needs. Maybe another team overpays if injuries hit. Come deadline time all the GM's have to lay em down or fold.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
ritchie seems like a maybe for tomorrow. right shot, RW. if he's out, i hope it's not
cehlarik again. could be a good spot for senyshyn to drop in. providence is in utica
tonight, so we'll see if any weird lineup decisions go down.

Reactions: Blowfish and Estlin

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Only thing I know about the Bruins cap is I have an "Old Time Hockey" one in this mess somewhere that the kid bought me years ago. So when Dom posts about it I read and try to comprehend, but I only go back to 10th grade Algebra when i wondered who put the letters in where the numbers should be? So my thoughts would be if we can afford it cap wise, keep 'em all. Depth on D is paramount in a deep playoff run, and Miller's mitts are a plus in a combat situation like the other night. Hold your chips, see how Bjork and Heinen progress, maybe Ritchie and see where you stand at deadline as far as health and other needs. Maybe another team overpays if injuries hit. Come deadline time all the GM's have to lay em down or fold.

If you think I confuse you on a normal day, read my last post in this thread today Salary Cap: - 2019-20 money talk$$$$

LOL

Reactions: aguineapig

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
ritchie seems like a maybe for tomorrow. right shot, RW. if he's out, i hope it's not
cehlarik again. could be a good spot for senyshyn to drop in. providence is in utica
tonight, so we'll see if any weird lineup decisions go down.
I am more intrigued by Senyshyn longterm still. However, right now, I would take Cehlarik over him for a call up.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
What you aren't getting is that a little toughness would have helped. Kevan wasn't considered a "spare" D before he was injured.
We will never know what might have happened in the SCF. However, what is undeniable is that STL ran our D with a seemingly endless run of cheap and high hits. Look now further than what happened to Gryz and the undeniable loss he represented. League did little to nothing to curb the head shots, and still seem to give STL a pass even now.

Would the toughness (and solid D play) that KM offers(ed) have made a difference? Logic dictates maybe so. I don’t knowfor sure — none of us do. I do know it is foolish to definitively say he would not.

I’m with you LF. KM has been a tough, reliable D-man for Boston. Who knows how he comes back from a bad knee injury? If he never plays another game for Boston I for one will tip my hat to him and thank him for all he’s given to Boston.

I’ll also scorn fans who argue he’s was and is no good. That they represent uninformed and not very bright “fans” is the best and most polite I can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad