Injury Report: Bruins Injury Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
With Moore activated, Bruins are at the 23 man roster limit, with Senyshyn, Ritchie, Kuhlman and Miller still on IR or LTIR.

Senyshyn is likely the next one to clear and will go to Providence (Waiver exempt) and today would clear $566k in cap space

Ritchie is likely next and a body will need to go to Providence, and my guess is Kampfer (needs waivers) and today would clear $524k in cap space

Kuhlman when cleared would also likely be sent to Providence (Waiver exempt) and today would clear $490k in cap space.

That gives the Bruins $1.58 million in cap relief.

Word is now they have placed Kuhlman on LTIR, so I have to start all over :(
Dom, this is all so complicated. Changes by the day if not more often.

How does the League and the teams synch up on these numbers? Do they have a standard platform or proprietary software that everyone must use? I ask because, if not, it would seem very easy to have constant debates that a given team’s numbers and the Leagues numbers don’t exactly match. As you’ve shown a day or two one way or the other can have a big dollar impact on the Cap.

Over a $70M budget, a tenth of a percent is $70K and it seems sometimes that teams are that close +/-. Being off on a budget by just a tenth of a percent isn’t that rare in a lot of businesses.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom, this is all so complicated. Changes by the day if not more often.

How does the League and the teams synch up on these numbers? Do they have a standard platform or proprietary software that everyone must use? I ask because, if not, it would seem very easy to have constant debates that a given team’s numbers and the Leagues numbers don’t exactly match. As you’ve shown a day or two one way or the other can have a big dollar impact on the Cap.

Over a $70M budget, a tenth of a percent is $70K and it seems sometimes that teams are that close +/-. Being off on a budget by just a tenth of a percent isn’t that rare in a lot of businesses.

I'm not sure there is a software that they use, but would not be surprised if there is. But they all use the same formula

Cap hit divided by 186 (days in the season) times days on the roster is the players daily cap hit.

Upper limit divided by 186 = maximum daily cap allowed. Difference between those to is "banked".

When you get into LTIR though, things get really complicated and if I took the time to explain it I would miss puck drop. Maybe @Alberta_OReilly_Fan will take the time to explain it tonight.

However, all transactions must be approved by the NHL as they have to confirm things like waivers and cap compliance. Their word is gospel and teams are updated daily on their cap situation.

The reason I follow it is so I know based on this move or that move, I know what the ramifications are and where they stand and what they can "afford to do" going forward.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm not sure there is a software that they use, but would not be surprised if there is. But they all use the same formula

Cap hit divided by 186 (days in the season) times days on the roster is the players daily cap hit.

Upper limit divided by 186 = maximum daily cap allowed. Difference between those to is "banked".

When you get into LTIR though, things get really complicated and if I took the time to explain it I would miss puck drop. Maybe @Alberta_OReilly_Fan will take the time to explain it tonight.

However, all transactions must be approved by the NHL as they have to confirm things like waivers and cap compliance. Their word is gospel and teams are updated daily on their cap situation.

The reason I follow it is so I know based on this move or that move, I know what the ramifications are and where they stand and what they can "afford to do" going forward.
Thanks Dom. League must have an army of spreadsheet analysts pouring over this each and every day. I think it’s really interesting stuff. Combine LTIR with having the nuances of CBA language and it’s clear this is not an easy gig.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thanks Dom. League must have an army of spreadsheet analysts pouring over this each and every day. I think it’s really interesting stuff. Combine LTIR with having the nuances of CBA language and it’s clear this is not an easy gig.

Lot of studying that's for sure.

A few years ago the Leafs hired Brandon Pridham as their "capologist." He's one of the guys credited for formulating the cap system and knows the ins and outs like few others. But trust me, the Bruins have no slouch in Evan Gold.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Dom — without getting too far into weeds, just a follow up to the “banked” issue is this correct back of envelope math...?

$81.5M/186 equals approximately $44K daily limit ( rounded).

Im assuming my team is $40K on day one, I can be $48K on day two and be compliant. Meaning I am $88K total or rolling average of $44K.

What happens if I screw it up and I’m $50K on day two and over by $2K. Is there an immediate penalty and assuming so, what is it?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom — without getting too far into weeds, just a follow up to the “banked” issue is this correct back of envelope math...?

$81.5M/186 equals approximately $44K daily limit ( rounded).

Im assuming my team is $40K on day one, I can be $48K on day two and be compliant. Meaning I am $88K total or rolling average of $44K.

What happens if I screw it up and I’m $50K on day two and over by $2K. Is there an immediate penalty and assuming so, what is it?

You can never go over the daily cap, unless you are using LTIR. If you are, you have to make moves to get under immediately.

There are times as well (we've seen it a few times, even this year - Chicago had to go with 11 forwards, 6 d-men and 2 goalies on Monday because they didn't have cap space) that you are so close to the cap that you don't have the space to call up a replacement and then you play short handed.

EDIT: This explains the situation the Hawks faced earlier this week Injuries, salary cap crunch will force Blackhawks to play shorthanded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad