Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Michael DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg From Canucks for Jack Studnicka

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think this is fine. The Bruins have clearly assessed Studnicka and found him wanting, and Monty didn't seem too keen on him either. So they've gone and got a prospect with some potential in exchange, which is about as much as you could reasonably ask for. The logic is sound. It's on Jack now to prove Sweeney and co. wrong. He'll have his opportunity, good luck to him.

Boston definitely has a future center issue pending, but it's in the top 6 and Studnicka was never going to make it there, that to me has been established almost beyond doubt. So no loss in that sense in moving him on.

Myrenberg sounds like a fair punt, let's see what happens down the track.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think this is fine. The Bruins have clearly assessed Studnicka and found him wanting, and Monty didn't seem too keen on him either. So they've gone and got a prospect with some potential in exchange, which is about as much as you could reasonably ask for. The logic is sound. It's on Jack now to prove Sweeney and co. wrong. He'll have his opportunity, good luck to him.

Boston definitely has a future center issue pending, but it's in the top 6 and Studnicka was never going to make it there, that to me has been established almost beyond doubt. So no loss in that sense in moving him on.

Myrenberg sounds like a fair punt, let's see what happens down the track.
Between Locmelis, Lysell, Jellvik, and Svedberg PJ is on a heater. Ride the hot hand.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Seems like a decent return for a guy they were gonna waive

Studnicka will be fine as a bottom six forward for his career. Not for Boston but turning that into a random goalie and recent 5th round pick... is questionable.

Sweeney's handling of that Providence defenseman prospect, Vladar, and this just do not scream strong asset management.
Would better asset management be waiving him and getting nothing?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hey Bruins fans, Canucks been here, can you give me a somewhat detailed description on the attributes of studnicka?

Is he a fast skater?, what’s his strength and weaknesses, etc.

Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
In the case of Myrenberg, the Bruins are hoping that Sweden continues to favor the Black and Gold.

“Well, we’ve done a little bit of legwork there and our guys, coincidentally over the last little while, had seen Myrenberg play quite a bit,” Sweeney offered. “P.J. [Axelsson]’s got a lot of familiarity with the player, done a lot of legwork over the last few days when these conversations started to pick up and we do feel there’s some upside to this player. He’s young, he’s taken a growth spurt, he’s at 6-foot-3 now, so he’s got some length. His numbers at the junior level, really good, got some experience at the SHL, playing in the Allsvenskan now.”

I trust PJ

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Hey Bruins fans, Canucks been here, can you give me a somewhat detailed description on the attributes of studnicka?

He's big, fast, not afraid of contact, good defensively, good shorthanded, was a prolific AHL player, led the league in shorthanded goals. He's smart, he makes clever passes, he can play center and right wing, but he's also light and gets knocked off the puck easily.

He never got confident at the NHL level, he also never really got a stretch in the NHL where he could adjust and get comfortable.

IMO, the Bruins botched his development. The Bruins, under Sweeney, have maintained that a rookie has to beat out a veteran to get a spot in the lineup. And since Sweeney keeps signing free agents it's really effin hard to beat one out. If you're an 'offensive' guy then you have to beat out a top9 guy.

Last summer they told him to add some strength and be prepared to have a good camp. He spent the summer in the gym, added 10lbs, had a great camp... and was sent down because the Bruins had no NHL roster spots, they would have had to waive someone to keep him up. I think that's when they broke him. No matter what he did he wasn't going to get an extended look here. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade.

He absolutely can be a 3c and after his big season in Providence it looked like he could be a 2c but his development stalled there.

Last edited:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Fast skater yes, hard worker, good 2 way guy was good on PK, stepped in scrums for a number of guys in Providence, real good teammate.

Negatives are probably lack of finish and vision at NHL level. Better at center, gets lost on the wing.

Wonder how much of his offensive struggles are from stick gripping and playing tight here, he showed he can produce more offensively in Providence but hasn’t showed it at NHL level. Maybe a change of scenery will bring it out again.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

BASICALLY, DID YOU HEAR Sweeney's presser, Don basically has said what Stud basically has been in his time here.....

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

I still say he was pathologically averse to contact in the NHL, at least last season. He looked genuinely afraid of being checked and would bail on pucks.

That looked slightly better this past preseason, but it should be something to keep an eye on. He got smoked in his final preseason game, but I couldn't tell if he got gun shy afterwards or not.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Great deal for Boston. Looks like a decent prospect for a guy who needed to go through waivers. Sweeney has been very impress the past 5-6 months.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I like these kinda trades. Screams professionalism. They traded him to a team that can use him (especially if they trade a forward to shore up their d) while getting back a bit of something.. not worried about the return.
Treating players with respect and giving them a chance elsewhere doesn't go unnoticed and is better for the health of the franchise than a slightly better prospect.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hate all of you for 2011, but:

- DiPietro is a reaction goalie that would've been good in the 80s. He's easy to root for but the odds are stacked against him.
- Myrenberg is exactly as those scouting reports describe. I don't really think much of him because I don't like to get excited about prospects, but he's done nothing to hurt his status as a prospect.

Ok, get bent. Bye!

edit: also i hate all of you for making our dumbass owner think jim benning was some sort of genius
Embrace the hate. You may wanna change your handle though and umm, watch out for lightning.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

I'm not telling you anything about Studnicka because you didn't say that you were " coming here in peace ". But who knows - this trade may make us even for that Neely deal. :sarcasm:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

Stud was a very non-descript player here who showed little, so it is hard to describe him. He is fairly fast-a little above NHL average. He has average hands, sometimes he will make a good short pass, but seems to have trouble receiving passes or especially stick handling. In fact, I started to expect plays to die on his stick:( He has added some muscle over the years but is not good winning battles along the boards. I think that may improve. ... I also think he may only see half the ice.
His shot is quick and good, but he generates very few shots. This was not a flattering scouting report but a true one. I suspect he will be moderately better with more consistent ice time at center-not on the wing.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

He won "fastest skater" at an AHL All Star Game (skills competition) a few years ago. Sooo, there's that!

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I hate that they traded Studnicka. His development should have been a priority, he should have been part of their future.

The defenseman they got sounds pretty good. So at least there's that.
Maybe they did prioritize his development and it turned out he just wasn't that good. Never put up any numbers in the AHL that screamed "call me up!".

There's always been so much pressure on him here given A. our weak prospect pool and B. the unprecedented success of two other 2nd round pick centers here. The reality is most 2nd round picks aren't guys you build your team around. If they even make the league, you're lucky if they turn into a decent complementary player. Of the 2017 2nd round picks, only 1 has turned into a note-worthy player (Robertson).

Studs will be great on a team trying to get Bedard. But here, he's clearly been passed on the depth chart and was wasting a roster spot for someone more worthy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He's big, fast, not afraid of contact, good defensively, good shorthanded, was a prolific AHL player, led the league in shorthanded goals. He's smart, he makes clever passes, he can play center and right wing, but he's also light and gets knocked off the puck easily.

He never got confident at the NHL level, he also never really got a stretch in the NHL where he could adjust and get comfortable.

IMO, the Bruins botched his development. The Bruins, under Sweeney, have maintained that a rookie has to beat out a veteran to get a spot in the lineup. And since Sweeney keeps signing free agents it's really effin hard to beat one out. If you're an 'offensive' guy then you have to beat out a top9 guy.

Last summer they told him to add some strength and be prepared to have a good camp. He spent the summer in the gym, added 10lbs, had a great camp... and was sent down because the Bruins had no NHL roster spots, they would have had to waive someone to keep him up. I think that's when they broke him. No matter what he did he wasn't going to get an extended look here. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade.

He absolutely can be a 3c and after his big season in Providence it looked like he could be a 2c but his development stalled there.

Good assessment. As long as the Bruins are in 'win now' mode it's always going to be tough for any kids to break in. That's exacerbated even more by a lot of auditions being short - i.e. prospects are often only given 2-3 games to impress and beat out a veteran, which suits the latter because it can be hard for a youngster to step in and get up to speed quickly in the NHL - and Sweeney simply not trusting his own draft picks, no matter what he says to the contrary, and therefore as you said hiring a stack of free agents to fill spots.

Studnicka's a victim of the Bruins' system in that sense, and in the end I think they've done the right thing letting him go elsewhere and have a chance in a different environment where he should get the fair opportunity to make his case that he never had in Boston. Should it have come to this? Probably not. But what's done is done, and at least they've now cut short Stud's purgatory and gotten at least something in return whilst doing so.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad