Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Michael DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg From Canucks for Jack Studnicka

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
In Mckeens mag this fall re-Dipietro (Ranked 6th for prospects for Van)

"Has there been a prospect whose development has been more mishandled than
DiPietro’s thus far? A once promising goaltending prospect out of the OHL, his career
has been sidetracked by mismanagement. First the Canucks embarrassed him in an
emergency callup, allowing him to be shelled because they did not have the necessary
organizational depth to cover for injuries. Then, in his second pro season, they opted
to keep him on the taxi squad all year rather than allow him to play games in the
AHL. Last year, he looked lost at times, with his confidence clearly broken. As such, his
agency had asked for a trade out of Vancouver, but a partner has not yet been found.
DiPietro still has NHL potential. He is extremely athletic. He never quits on a play and
his maturity off the ice and his practice habits were lauded by those in the know in the
OHL. There was always going to be a learning curve for him. He is not a huge goaltender,
and his scrambling tendencies were going to have to be replaced by a more technically
advanced approach. He showed great potential in his pro season, but then it all went
downhill. So what’s next for Dipietro? His relationship with the Canucks’ organization
appears fractured and it would be shocking if he were still part of the team next year.
Wherever he goes next, there is a strong chance that he turns things around and re-
establishes himself as a quality netminding prospect."

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
ER did INDEED win the #1 goalie job in training camp the year he was drafted, so wasn't a bust out of the gate, but his sitting for six months, playing in zero games Pejorative Slured his development. Perhaps he was a flash in the pan like Moffatt, but we'll never know. Your statement that he wasn't a bad draft pick initially and that he was a stiff isn't true.

What the hell- HF censoring and autocorrecting 'stunted' now? Oh and FWIW I saw ER in the WPHL and he pretty much sucked vs guys that couldn't get an ECHL gig.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Where does the goalie fit ? Sway and ullmark ain't going anywhere and dipietro is already 23.
In Essensa we trust! If he didn't have the outstanding success that he's had developing and keeping goalies in top form I would say that DiPietro is a "throw-away" in the trade. But, with Bob Essensa guiding him, maybe, possibly he can be rehabbed into a good prospect, at least as a piece in another trade down the line.
First they find a place for him in the organization, rebuild his confidence/game and then see what they have.
I don't think Stud got a good long look but this happens with every team IMHO.
The best Sweeney could do was what he did. He kept Montreal from claiming him so that's job #1, job#2 was to get what he got. The fact that P.J. signed off on Myrenberg is money in the bank. The bottom line is that, like most trades like this we won't see the full results of it for a couple of years.

Reactions: TCB, BMC and Ratty

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
In Essensa we trust! If he didn't have the outstanding success that he's had developing and keeping goalies in top form I would say that DiPietro is a "throw-away" in the trade. But, with Bob Essensa guiding him, maybe, possibly he can be rehabbed into a good prospect, at least as a piece in another trade down the line.
First they find a place for him in the organization, rebuild his confidence/game and then see what they have.
I don't think Stud got a good long look but this happens with every team IMHO.
The best Sweeney could do was what he did. He kept Montreal from claiming him so that's job #1, job#2 was to get what he got. The fact that P.J. signed off on Myrenberg is money in the bank. The bottom line is that, like most trades like this we won't see the full results of it for a couple of years.
It's a meh return. Rather have stud play full time especially now with dk out. We might have seen his full potential. Oh well . 23 only jeez..

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Because he wasn’t a good enough player and was never going to crack this line up?

This is a case of “we have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes”. If they traded him for cannon fodder, something wasn’t clicking here. Good luck in Vancouver and hopefully something clicks with the Swedish defenseman.

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
I don't mind this trade. We know at this point what Studnicka will bring to the Bruins in capacity that he continues to be played. Trade for him at this point is what he really needs with fresh start.
Myrenberg is actually prospect that has been on my list for some time. Great size at now 6'3", decent skater with offensive awareness and the fact he received a 15 game audition with Linköpings at age 18 is pretty promising. He will take time and patience to develop like most defensemen of his trade but he could be playing in a Bruins uniform.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I hope Beecher ends up becoming what we hoped Studnicka would be.
We hoped Studnicka would end up becoming what Koko/Spooner were supposed to be.

Last C prospect that actually developed (and were gifted, tbh), never played C here, and we traded away for what literally amounts to nothing in 2022.

A LOT of misfires on the C position since 2004. We really lucked out drafting Krejci and Bergeron 18/19 years ago; but that luck was a hockey lifetime ago.

Hoping for better luck with Beecher (or any of the currently drafted C's) for sure... law of averages would suggest we have to start hitting at some point.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
We hoped Studnicka would end up becoming what Koko/Spooner were supposed to be.

Last C prospect that actually developed (and were gifted, tbh), never played C here, and we traded away for what literally amounts to nothing in 2022.

A LOT of misfires on the C position since 2004. We really lucked out drafting Krejci and Bergeron 18/19 years ago; but that luck was a hockey lifetime ago.

Hoping for better luck with Beecher (or any of the currently drafted C's) for sure... law of averages would suggest we have to start hitting at some point.
I've got high Hopes for Harrison and poitras.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I've got high Hopes for Harrison and poitras.
We can all hope.

I'm just saying, one of these times, they have to work out, we've gone through a lot C prospects that you could interchange in your statement, that statistically, someone has to make it to the next level (or you'd at least think so)

I'd be perfectly fine if it was both of them, while hopeful, I'm also not holding my breath.

Reactions: The don godfather

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I respectfully disagree with your post. First of all, Sinden was a HOF caliber coach, based on his championship in OKC and SC with Boston in 1970. His coaching of Team Canada in 1972 was also stellar. As a new GM in 72, he quickly rebuilt the team after the expansion draft and WHA loses, bringing the team back to the SCF in 74. He also made some great trades, cashing in on players he thought were in the early stages of decline, such as Esposito and Pederson. His drafting record wasn't good at all and he let a number of valuable players leave for free.
ER did INDEED win the #1 goalie job in training camp the year he was drafted, so wasn't a bust out of the gate, but his sitting for six months, playing in zero games Pejorative Slured his development. Perhaps he was a flash in the pan like Moffatt, but we'll never know. Your statement that he wasn't a bad draft pick initially and that he was a stiff isn't true.

My statement was that he was a terrible draft pick.

And he was a stiff. His "career" reflects it.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Mr. Heinen is producing in Pittsburgh.

I've always been a big supporter of Heinen. I like his cerebral, mistake-free game. I felt like he got all sorts of unfair hate from this fanbase, who, to be honest, doesn't really appreciate an understated game, particularly when the player is on the softer side.

That said, Heinen was available for nearly a month after UFA opened and then signed to a one year, basically league minimum contract. I think he was a steal at that, but the point remains that there is no reason to lament losing Heinen because he is basically a player than can be acquired any year by any team for nothing.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
My statement was that he was a terrible draft pick.

And he was a stiff. His "career" reflects it.
My point was that he wasn't a bad draft pick initially and that he might not have been a stiff had his progression not been Pejorative Slured by sitting for 6 months. He may have a bad pick and a stiff, but we'll never know.

I find it ironic that you called my comment about Sinden a cheat shot, and your comments about ER are not cheap shots?

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Studnicka including playoffs played

43 games
1 goal
7 assist
8 points
12:00 TOI

Yes I know Marchand went like 20 games without producing

And even though he wasn’t producing you could see his skill

And he was called up to be a ball of energy and pest on the 4th line with some offensive pop

Marchand got about 13 mins a night and finally forced himself into the lineup and got a bigger role

Krejci same thing didn’t score his first 40 games

But he had like 20 assists and a handful of shootout goals and you could tell he was a high end playmaker in the making

He played about 14 mins a night and forced himself into the lineup and earned a bigger role

Studnicka got 12 mins a night over 43 games and never did anything to force us to keep him in

I don’t think we are gonna regret letting Studnicka go

I think he will be another one of hf boards favorite mid round picks that we hype up that never amount to much besides maybe being a serviceable low end nhler

Jared knight
Peter Kalus
Martin Karsums
Andy Hilbert
Ivan Huml
JFK
Peter Cehlarik
Anders Bjork
Alexander Khoklachev
Ryan Spooner
Anthony Camara
Seth Griffin
Ryan Donato

That list hurts.

Reactions: SPV and 13Hockey

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My point was that he wasn't a bad draft pick initially and that he might not have been a stiff had his progression not been Pejorative Slured by sitting for 6 months. He may have a bad pick and a stiff, but we'll never know.

I find it ironic that you called my comment about Sinden a cheat shot, and your comments about ER are not cheap shots?

ER was a bad pick because no one projected him in the first round. A complete sleeper.

Just because he didn't play games for 6 months should not equate to him being " Pejorative Slured", whatever that is. Its not that unusual. Much more likely he just didn't adapt to the North American game. Ever.

Calling ER a stiff is not a cheap shot because he was a stiff, no matter how he was developed.

You claim Sinden didn't send him to Providence to save a few bucks because you chose to assume that, not because it was a fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad