Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Michael DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg From Canucks for Jack Studnicka

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Good assessment. As long as the Bruins are in 'win now' mode it's always going to be tough for any kids to break in. That's exacerbated even more by a lot of auditions being short - i.e. prospects are often only given 2-3 games to impress and beat out a veteran, which suits the latter because it can be hard for a youngster to step in and get up to speed quickly in the NHL - and Sweeney simply not trusting his own draft picks, no matter what he says to the contrary, and therefore as you said hiring a stack of free agents to fill spots.

Studnicka's a victim of the Bruins' system in that sense, and in the end I think they've done the right thing letting him go elsewhere and have a chance in a different environment where he should get the fair opportunity to make his case that he never had in Boston. Should it have come to this? Probably not. But what's done is done, and at least they've now cut short Stud's purgatory and gotten at least something in return whilst doing so.
it may not be totally on Sweeney it may have been Cassidy because no one really knows Monty's style and there's really been no adversity outside of the Ottawa game that they battled.....

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
it may not be totally on Sweeney it may have been Cassidy because no one really knows Monty's style and there's really been no adversity outside of the Ottawa game that they battled.....

I'm sure Cassidy was part of selection conversations, just as Monty is now. How influential either are, who knows? But Sweeney must have the final roster say as GM.

Reactions: Gordoff

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm sure Cassidy was part of selection conversations, just as Monty is now. How influential either are, who knows? But Sweeney must have the final roster say as GM.
Cassidy was the one who made the call because he was here 6 years...... it's not Monty's call nor Sweeney's call because it sounds like this was behind closed doors and kept silent until it was done, now the timing of the trade announcement in the middle of the 3rd period when no one was really paying attention to that trade whether on NESN or at the Garden live....

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is best for all parties involved.

Studnicka goes to a team that has a dogs breakfast in their bottom six group and there is an opportunity there for him to play consistent minutes which is exactly what his career needs at this point.

Bruins get a prospect they really like into their system. Odds are like some have already mentioned that PJ Axelsson was likely all over this.

Sweeney gets an asset with value for a player that every GM in the league could see was likely soon to hit the waiver wire.

If there is a negative here, and this isn't meant to be disrespectful to Nosek (who I like) but you sign a veteran center for two-years and then the eventual domino-effect is to trade (or eventually lose on waivers) a younger player with more upside. This is kinda similar to when the Bruins signed Yelle going into 2008-09, only to lose Nate Thompson on waivers, the younger player who they spent 3 years developing, Then Thompson goes onto play over 900 NHL games.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
A lot of people down on DiPietro.. kids 23. And a goalie. Sounds like he needed a change of scenery as well. I like that part of the trade as much as the RHD.

Best of luck to Studs. Hope he finds a way to stick in VAN

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I like the trade. I never get that "is x amount of years away" speak. That may be true, but that doesn't stop prospects from having real value. If the guy continues to trend upwards and more people realize what he has done in Sweden wasn't a fluke, he will have serious value way sooner than 5 years despite not playing in the NHL.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
The prospect they got is a couple years away. At this point adding any prospect with even a slight amount of helium helps this awful system. Stud is probably not going to be a world beater but probably will become a decent 3rd or 4th line guy away from Boston.

Reactions: Dellstrom and bme44

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hey Bruins fans, Canucks been here, can you give me a somewhat detailed description on the attributes of studnicka?

Is he a fast skater?, what’s his strength and weaknesses, etc.

As others have said he is a solid skater. He doesn’t play as fast as in a skating competition, but has above average straight ahead speed. He isn’t very quick or shifty. He is tall but plays pretty upright and is easy to get leverage against. You keep waiting for him to develop man strength and waiting and waiting. He has good IQ defensively and with his stick in center ice, but at the NHL level had a very simple game in the offensive zone. His shot is not NHL quality.

All in all, he is a guy that could develop into a very solid half bottom of the roster contributor that could be a veryvaluable part of your PK. He needs to actually get a run of being able to play without getting put on the bench after every game or two (he just plays so nervous in Boston now) and he needs to get better at battling for pucks if he is going to be a 3C on a contender.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Studnika probably requested a trade at this point. He knew he wouldn’t get an extended look at least not until next year. If this isn’t the case it seems like poor asset management by Sweeney. I still think Stud could be a top 6 center in the next couple years. He has the skill.

Reactions: PlayMakers

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This is best for all parties involved.

Studnicka goes to a team that has a dogs breakfast in their bottom six group and there is an opportunity there for him to play consistent minutes which is exactly what his career needs at this point.

Bruins get a prospect they really like into their system. Odds are like some have already mentioned that PJ Axelsson was likely all over this.

Sweeney gets an asset with value for a player that every GM in the league could see was likely soon to hit the waiver wire.

If there is a negative here, and this isn't meant to be disrespectful to Nosek (who I like) but you sign a veteran center for two-years and then the eventual domino-effect is to trade (or eventually lose on waivers) a younger player with more upside. This is kinda similar to when the Bruins signed Yelle going into 2008-09, only to lose Nate Thompson on waivers, the younger player who they spent 3 years developing, Then Thompson goes onto play over 900 NHL games.
The Thompson/Yelle analogy feels fitting.

While Studnicka has a long ways away to play 900 NHL games, I think becoming an NHL regular isn't out of the question.

Perhaps he's the right player, wrong time. If he becomes a top 6 C, he's had little chance to develop there (or even top 9). While playing in Boston.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Thompson/Yelle analogy feels fitting.

While Studnicka has a long ways away to play 900 NHL games, I think becoming an NHL regular isn't out of the question.

Perhaps he's the right player, wrong time. If he becomes a top 6 C, he's had little chance to develop there (or even top 9). While playing in Boston.

Having such a disjointed stretch between March 2020 and now really hurt his development IMO. When he should of been playing lots of games down in the AHL during his waiver-free years, he wasn't and basically fell through the cracks.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
He's big, fast, not afraid of contact, good defensively, good shorthanded, was a prolific AHL player, led the league in shorthanded goals. He's smart, he makes clever passes, he can play center and right wing, but he's also light and gets knocked off the puck easily.

He never got confident at the NHL level, he also never really got a stretch in the NHL where he could adjust and get comfortable.

IMO, the Bruins botched his development. The Bruins, under Sweeney, have maintained that a rookie has to beat out a veteran to get a spot in the lineup. And since Sweeney keeps signing free agents it's really effin hard to beat one out. If you're an 'offensive' guy then you have to beat out a top9 guy.

Last summer they told him to add some strength and be prepared to have a good camp. He spent the summer in the gym, added 10lbs, had a great camp... and was sent down because the Bruins had no NHL roster spots, they would have had to waive someone to keep him up. I think that's when they broke him. No matter what he did he wasn't going to get an extended look here. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade.

He absolutely can be a 3c and after his big season in Providence it looked like he could be a 2c but his development stalled there.
delete

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Good to see Nucks fans bitter. Had to rewatch game 7. Such a great team. ♥️

Surprising trade was rooting for Stud. Looking forward and hopeful the new guys can develop.

Goalies don’t develop till like 25 correct?

Reactions: BMC

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
Sad to see Studs go. A good kid with size that can skate, you gotta think he at least carves out a bottom 6 energy/PK role. Anything else is gravy. I'll be rooting for him (but not the Canucks!)

At least they didn't try to sneak him through waivers only to see him claimed. People would have lost their minds 😂

Reactions: BMC

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I like the trade. I never get that "is x amount of years away" speak. That may be true, but that doesn't stop prospects from having real value. If the guy continues to trend upwards and more people realize what he has done in Sweden wasn't a fluke, he will have serious value way sooner than 5 years despite not playing in the NHL.
Agreed. He also may be five years away for Vancouver because they don't have a Lindholm to break him in with. If Myrenberg is an NHL talent, we will see him by Lindholm's side long before that contract is up.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Overreactive take.

Yes, a trade takes time to set up. And of course there's no way Sweeney could have known Krejci would be cheap shotted like that.

The Bs were kind of stuck. Studnicka needed more playing time, but he hasn’t been good enough to crack the NHL lineup. And he would have been grabbed on waivers if he was sent down. At least this way they got something for him.

Love your avatar :heart:

PJ's become a damn good scout for the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad