Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Michael DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg From Canucks for Jack Studnicka

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
At least he'll get an opportunity to make mistakes and be afforded them. He just needs some time and seasoning. The Nucks can afford him that time. I wish him well. Great kid.
not really, this season there were a ton of expectations out here from all I read on a daily basis, Miller signed to a huge extension, this team has come out of the gate extremely poorly. Will Jack help? Time will tell, I know I didn`t always like the way I thought Jack was handled but ultimately, there simply wasn`t room for him on a team that is jammed packed up the middle and I don`t think he can play wing with any efficiency

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Bruins traded center Jack Studnicka to the Canucks during Thursday night’s game against the Red Wings, letting the 23-year-old resurrect his young career some 3,000 miles away.
Studnicka, his development stalled, was dealt for AHL goaltender Michael DiPietro and defensive prospect Jonathan Myrenberg.
The Bruins spent the 53rd overall pick on Studnicka in 2017, hoping he would be one of the replacements for the aging Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. He was a quality AHLer, but totaled 1-6—7 in 38 games with the varsity over four seasons.
Studnicka’s only game this year was a disaster. Last Thursday against the Ducks, he took two penalties in just 8:01 of ice time.

Time will tell if the Bruins will have capable top-six centers ready when Bergeron and Krejci finally hang ’em up. In a post-trade session with reporters, general manager Don Sweeney noted his encouragement regarding prospects Cole Spicer (Minnesota-Duluth) and Matthew Poitras (OHL Guelph).

“The Providence guys are doing a fantastic job,” Sweeney added. “Then you have to try to execute a trade if you have to, to fill a gap.”

The Studnicka trade removed him from the 23-man roster with Brad Marchand returning (and, in a matter of weeks or days, Charlie McAvoy following). It also gives the Bruins assets for Studnicka, who could have been claimed by 31 other teams had the Bruins sent him to the AHL via waivers.

Sweeney said he wouldn’t have had to waive Studnicka — other teams wanted him. The Canucks, who have injuries down the middle, are likely to play him right away.

The Bruins added goaltending depth in DiPietro, a third-round pick (64th overall) in 2017 who has seen three games with the Canucks. The Bruins are now loaded with AHL goalies (Keith Kinkaid, Kyle Keyser and Brandon Bussi have played for Providence).

Myrenberg, a 19-year-old, is playing with Mora IK of the Swedish Allsvenskan league (1-2—3). Vancouver’s fifth-round pick (140th overall) in 2021 played in 15 games with Linkopings of the top-level Swedish Hockey League in 2021-22.

Sweeney said the team’s Swedish scouts, led by scouting director P.J. Axelsson, see upside in a defenseman whose growth spurt has him at 6 feet 3 inches. He is also a right shot, an organizational need.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
What, Evgeny Ryabchikov wasn't available?
The Nucks handling of DiPietro sounds very similar to da Broons handling of Ryabchikov. They drafted ER in the first round and then he won the #1 goaltending job in training camp. Then the lockout. He was eligible to be sent to Providence be the #1 goalie until the lockout was over. However, to save a couple of bucks, Sinden kept him on the major league roster and he sat for six months, played no games, and his development was Pejorative Slured. Maybe he was a long-term bust in any event, but he certainly looked good in training camp. You don't do that to a young player, they have to play.

Conversely, during the 2005 lockout, O'Connell sent Bergeron to Providence (even though he spent the entire previous season with the major league club on the 2nd line), and his development was accelerated.

IMO O'Connell gets a bump rap, because he completely revamped the player development aspect of the club and he assembled an outstanding roster that was a true cup contended, until Thornton's injury led to their first-round ouster by Montreal. Then the year-long lockout, and the owner sabotaged the roster by letting everyone leave as free agents, including Gonchar and Nylander.

So Vancouver was basically 2nd in line to claim Studnicka. Does the NHL use the standings now, or is it still last year up to a certain point?
The latter and the changeover was this week. Now it's the current standings. I read the other day that Montreal still had first dibs, but it was changing this week to the current standings.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

The Bruins traded center Jack Studnicka to the Canucks during Thursday night’s game against the Red Wings, letting the 23-year-old resurrect his young career some 3,000 miles away.
Studnicka, his development stalled, was dealt for AHL goaltender Michael DiPietro and defensive prospect Jonathan Myrenberg.
The Bruins spent the 53rd overall pick on Studnicka in 2017, hoping he would be one of the replacements for the aging Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. He was a quality AHLer, but totaled 1-6—7 in 38 games with the varsity over four seasons.
Studnicka’s only game this year was a disaster. Last Thursday against the Ducks, he took two penalties in just 8:01 of ice time.

Time will tell if the Bruins will have capable top-six centers ready when Bergeron and Krejci finally hang ’em up. In a post-trade session with reporters, general manager Don Sweeney noted his encouragement regarding prospects Cole Spicer (Minnesota-Duluth) and Matthew Poitras (OHL Guelph).

“The Providence guys are doing a fantastic job,” Sweeney added. “Then you have to try to execute a trade if you have to, to fill a gap.”

The Studnicka trade removed him from the 23-man roster with Brad Marchand returning (and, in a matter of weeks or days, Charlie McAvoy following). It also gives the Bruins assets for Studnicka, who could have been claimed by 31 other teams had the Bruins sent him to the AHL via waivers.

Sweeney said he wouldn’t have had to waive Studnicka — other teams wanted him. The Canucks, who have injuries down the middle, are likely to play him right away.

The Bruins added goaltending depth in DiPietro, a third-round pick (64th overall) in 2017 who has seen three games with the Canucks. The Bruins are now loaded with AHL goalies (Keith Kinkaid, Kyle Keyser and Brandon Bussi have played for Providence).

Myrenberg, a 19-year-old, is playing with Mora IK of the Swedish Allsvenskan league (1-2—3). Vancouver’s fifth-round pick (140th overall) in 2021 played in 15 games with Linkopings of the top-level Swedish Hockey League in 2021-22.

Sweeney said the team’s Swedish scouts, led by scouting director P.J. Axelsson, see upside in a defenseman whose growth spurt has him at 6 feet 3 inches. He is also a right shot, an organizational need.
Still think they should have given him a shot with consistent time, god we've given Foligno basically a full season to prove he's worthy to play the damn 4th line.

That said, Foligno RIGHT NOW is better than Studnicka, just don't think he was given a fair shake. Give Studnicka all of Foligno's ice time the past 2 seasons and I wonder if we'd be looking at a different player (for better or worse).

Long term, wondering if they are planning ahead to move Ullmark the following season or two; hoping one of the goalie prospects develops to the NHL level.

Myrenberg sounds solid; but honestly, can't see how he's any less of a dice roll than Studnicka, at least he's younger, so that works in our favor.

Better than him getting waived; still wish we were a little more patient to see what we had (or maybe they already hit that point). But for a team with cap constraints, you'd really think they'd try to work in the low cost players a bit more.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The Nucks handling of DiPietro sounds very similar to da Broons handling of Ryabchikov. They drafted ER in the first round and then he won the #1 goaltending job in training camp. Then the lockout. He was eligible to be sent to Providence be the #1 goalie until the lockout was over. However, to save a couple of bucks, Sinden kept him on the major league roster and he sat for six months, played no games, and his development was Pejorative Slured. Maybe he was a long-term bust in any event, but he certainly looked good in training camp. You don't do that to a young player, they have to play.

Conversely, during the 2005 lockout, O'Connell sent Bergeron to Providence (even though he spent the entire previous season with the major league club on the 2nd line), and his development was accelerated.

IMO O'Connell gets a bump rap, because he completely revamped the player development aspect of the club and he assembled an outstanding roster that was a true cup contended, until Thornton's injury led to their first-round ouster by Montreal. Then the year-long lockout, and the owner sabotaged the roster by letting everyone leave as free agents, including Gonchar and Nylander.

The latter and the changeover was this week. Now it's the current standings. I read the other day that Montreal still had first dibs, but it was changing this week to the current standings.

Anything to get a shot in at cheap Harry.

Ryabchikov was a bad draft pick. Because he was a stiff. Never played a single NHL game. Never was a number 1 goalie in the minors playing with the likes of the Odessa Jackalopes, Waco Wizards and Dayton Bombers.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Ok move. The 19 year old has legitimate upside.

Still think Jack can make it in the NHL, but I'm not overly worried he is going to become a Josh Norris/ Dylan Larkin type player. We just would have seen more out of him. I think he's more in the Spooner/Donato/Heinen bucket, meaning a guy who can play in the NHL for some team, but sort of gets around on league minimum contracts year to year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This team is 100% in win now territory. If Bergie and Krejci come back next year, we'll be in win now mode again.

And I'm fine with that. No room in "win now" mode for Stud and, since he doesn't project to be a top 1 or 2 Center in the future you can't sacrifice win now for development.

So rather than lose him on waivers, you get something. I don't know about the big D man..... but big, RH, and PJ approved beats the ever living shit out of "Montreal Canadiens claim Jack Studnika for squat" to me.

Reactions: SPB2776 and Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Last week in some other thread I made a comparison between Studnicka and Jordan Caron. High(ish) draft pick, supposedly a two-way center but with no offensive development in the system and not good enough defensively to justify a spot as a PKer. Also blocked from meaningful minutes as a center so played out of position on the wing a lot and that wasn't doing anything for his game. Not a bad player who will hurt the team by being on the ice but in the end doesn't really give you much of a spark either. Kind of just a replacement level plug-in kind of guy. Maybe can become a reliable bottom six center in Vancouver, but I don't think we'll ever rue the day we lost him.

Myrenberg is a lottery ticket, scouts are high on him, might become a useful part in 4-5 years. The organization develops defensemen pretty well. Dipietro just seems like a warm body for Providence or the ECHL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Last week in some other thread I made a comparison between Studnicka and Jordan Caron. High(ish) draft pick, supposedly a two-way center but with no offensive development in the system and not good enough defensively to justify a spot as a PKer. Also blocked from meaningful minutes as a center so played out of position on the wing a lot and that wasn't doing anything for his game. Not a bad player who will hurt the team by being on the ice but in the end doesn't really give you much of a spark either. Kind of just a replacement level plug-in kind of guy. Maybe can become a reliable bottom six center in Vancouver, but I don't think we'll ever rue the day we lost him.

Myrenberg is a lottery ticket, scouts are high on him, might become a useful part in 4-5 years. The organization develops defensemen pretty well. Dipietro just seems like a warm body for Providence or the ECHL.
the problem that PRO/Maine now have is who gets scratched in net.... which of Keyser/Kinkaid/DiPietro is the odd one out in PRO, THEN ADD Brassard and Bussi here in Portland, since Brassard is under Providence contract and Bussi was assigned directly from training camp to Portland, even though it's only the 2nd weekend of the ECHL Season

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Studnicka including playoffs played

43 games
1 goal
7 assist
8 points
12:00 TOI

Yes I know Marchand went like 20 games without producing

And even though he wasn’t producing you could see his skill

And he was called up to be a ball of energy and pest on the 4th line with some offensive pop

Marchand got about 13 mins a night and finally forced himself into the lineup and got a bigger role

Krejci same thing didn’t score his first 40 games

But he had like 20 assists and a handful of shootout goals and you could tell he was a high end playmaker in the making

He played about 14 mins a night and forced himself into the lineup and earned a bigger role

Studnicka got 12 mins a night over 43 games and never did anything to force us to keep him in

I don’t think we are gonna regret letting Studnicka go

I think he will be another one of hf boards favorite mid round picks that we hype up that never amount to much besides maybe being a serviceable low end nhler

Jared knight
Peter Kalus
Martin Karsums
Andy Hilbert
Ivan Huml
JFK
Peter Cehlarik
Anders Bjork
Alexander Khoklachev
Ryan Spooner
Anthony Camara
Seth Griffin
Ryan Donato

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Ok move. The 19 year old has legitimate upside.

Still think Jack can make it in the NHL, but I'm not overly worried he is going to become a Josh Norris/ Dylan Larkin type player. We just would have seen more out of him. I think he's more in the Spooner/Donato/Heinen bucket, meaning a guy who can play in the NHL for some team, but sort of gets around on league minimum contracts year to year.
Mr. Heinen is producing in Pittsburgh.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Anything to get a shot in at cheap Harry.

Ryabchikov was a bad draft pick. Because he was a stiff. Never played a single NHL game. Never was a number 1 goalie in the minors playing with the likes of the Odessa Jackalopes, Waco Wizards and Dayton Bombers.
I respectfully disagree with your post. First of all, Sinden was a HOF caliber coach, based on his championship in OKC and SC with Boston in 1970. His coaching of Team Canada in 1972 was also stellar. As a new GM in 72, he quickly rebuilt the team after the expansion draft and WHA loses, bringing the team back to the SCF in 74. He also made some great trades, cashing in on players he thought were in the early stages of decline, such as Esposito and Pederson. His drafting record wasn't good at all and he let a number of valuable players leave for free.

ER did INDEED win the #1 goalie job in training camp the year he was drafted, so wasn't a bust out of the gate, but his sitting for six months, playing in zero games Pejorative Slured his development. Perhaps he was a flash in the pan like Moffatt, but we'll never know. Your statement that he wasn't a bad draft pick initially and that he was a stiff isn't true.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
he had one good preseason (last year) but I can't remember a single game where I thought Studnicka was good or looked like a future Bruin. Would have been snapped up on waivers so can't complain. Goalies are weird and develop weird and some get good late in their careers (relatively speaking) so imo you can't have too many of them at all levels. The D man is a development project but they too can take longer and develop later than forwards so it's a decent gamble and you never know. No complaints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad