Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Michael DiPietro and Jonathan Myrenberg From Canucks for Jack Studnicka

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Bs were kind of stuck. Studnicka needed more playing time, but he hasn’t been good enough to crack the NHL lineup. And he would have been grabbed on waivers if he was sent down. At least this way they got something for him.
That seems to be the case to me as well. Monty clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence in him, which is fair given that Studnicka didn't look good enough to take someone else's spot. DS doesn't want to be handcuffed by Studnicka going/not going on waivers, so he cut his losses and got what he could. I think it's a win-win for the Bs and for Jack. Kid should get a better chance in Vancouver than in Boston. Just didn't seem like things were going to work out for him here. Crazy how he was supposed to be a C of the future for the Bs, but now he's gone for not a whole lot in return.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He didnt even make a million bucks, though
Right. Didn’t save a dime really. But they wanted the roster flexibility and didn’t want to lose him for free to waivers.

Personally, I’m not a fan of the move. We need more Centers, not fewer. And I wanted to see Studnicka get a genuine consistent chance in Boston.

However it’s shrewd if the Bruins disagree with me and don’t see the upside. Pretty good prospect in return (rather than nothing at all). And probably a bone thrown Stud’s way giving him the chance to prove he’s an NHLer with a franchise that will give him a chance to do so.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I do find it funny that after hiring Montgomery who was going to be "good with the young guys" the bruins

Send down McLaughlin
Waive Steen
Trade Studnicka
Scratch Greer

Meanwhile Foligno and Forbort are excelling, Nosek is a staple. Not saying it's the wrong route (they're 7-1) just funny how things turned out after the criticisms Bruce received.

cap
roster space
waiver eligibility
and GM sets the roster and then coach utlizes it.
that never changes IMO.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Stud was not capable of replacing Krejci anyway.
One option fewer however. Beecher ain’t that guy. Frederic shouldn’t be. Who else… Merkulov? Studnicka may not have ever made it, but he had a better chance to fill in a middle six pivot role than anyone else in-house.

I mean, I get it. But I’m disappointed.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Right. Didn’t save a dime really. But they wanted the roster flexibility and didn’t want to lose him for free to waivers.

Personally, I’m not a fan of the move. We need more Centers, not fewer. And I wanted to see Studnicka get a genuine consistent chance in Boston.

However it’s shrewd if the Bruins disagree with me and don’t see the upside. Pretty good prospect in return (rather than nothing at all). And probably a bone thrown Stud’s way giving him the chance to prove he’s an NHLer with a franchise that will give him a chance to do so.
And Bruins track record for developing a center drafted in the last decade is still at 0. Or do we count Frederic as a C?

Stud needed out.

The Swede RD seems promising, but we'll see if it means anything in a couple years.

Dipietro? Upside, maybe. If he gets some reps, but he's waiver fodder the following year.

So far at least it's something.

Better than turning a former #15 overall into a 7th and UFA that I've literally forgotten what he looks like.

Reactions: Gordoff

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
9C0740C5-4796-4FDE-8A15-28ED00192F73.jpeg
13C4E05B-458C-47DF-A7EE-384B3D135BB8.jpeg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
One option fewer however. Beecher ain’t that guy. Frederic shouldn’t be. Who else… Merkulov? Studnicka may not have ever made it, but he had a better chance to fill in a middle six pivot role than anyone else in-house.

it’ll be Zacha if need be. The got him to play C. Need to see if hes worth further investment or not.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Wouldn’t they slot Zacha over there given he’s a natural center?

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

I agree they have no one in the minors who is capable of it, even in the short term. Merk strikes me as more of a winger. They will just have to try Zacha or Smith and bring up a winger.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I do find it funny that after hiring Montgomery who was going to be "good with the young guys" the bruins

Send down McLaughlin
Waive Steen
Trade Studnicka
Scratch Greer

Meanwhile Foligno and Forbort are excelling, Nosek is a staple. Not saying it's the wrong route (they're 7-1) just funny how things turned out after the criticisms Bruce received.

DeBrusk also looks rejuvenated, Pasta is leading the league in scoring, Clifton has elevated his game... Then as you note, Foligno and Forbort look great. This team has a year left of 37 and 46, we're in win-now mode. His goal is to win this year. I don't necessarily agree with sitting Greer and moving McLaughlin down, but over the course of the season, the best players on this team will be here.,

Maybe in a year or two he has to be a little more forgiving with the young guys and give them more of a shot. But this year, we need to make it count and it's hard to argue with 7-1. I think he was a great hire for now and the future. I think Bruce is also a fantastic coach but he was at his shelf life. The team looks like they are having so much fun... It's been a while since we've seen that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad