Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
No one is safe until either Michael Ryder and Chris Stewart get moved to other teams or the deadline passes without Chiarelli bothering with those two.

This is an ok trade, but it potentially sets the stage for something worse.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I'm not that familiar with Connolly, but I like this. Forget giving up big assets for washed up rentals, go off the radar and acquire a young RW with potential who can held the team beyond this year. A win for Chia, and kind of poetic that we give up two 2nds (return from Boychuk trade).

Connolly scouting report:

Assets: Has outstanding scoring ability and a very projectable frame. Can play either wing position effectively. His hockey sense is very much an asset in the attacking zone.

Flaws: Needs to bulk up and fill out in order to maximize his scoring potential in the NHL. Also needs to become a more consistent player without the puck, and more assertive overall.

Career Potential: Talented, yet inconsistent scoring winger with untapped upside.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
This.

He could end up being exactly as projected; a top six RW power-forward.

Chiarelli didn't waste assets on a rental and has him here for the future with him on a cheap bridge contract to prove his potential.

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Smith - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Ferlin
Campbell

so far...

Nice start :)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Wow, an intra-division trade - and with a team that we still play 3 times. That said, Tampa seems pretty firmly in third place when you correct for games in hand...and this is definitely a good draft for them to be in, so it's a good trade for them.

I don't know much about him, but he sounds like what we need. I see 3 options:

1) Stand pat. He's an insurance policy if Pasta starts to go soggy in the playoffs.

2) Get another right winger like Atkinson, move Loui left, and move Smith.

3) Get a defenseman and move Smith

I wouldn't relish getting rid of Smith, but with Connolly, we now need to work on D. It's the most obvious move; I'd rather keep Loui.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
From the main board:

Honestly, I think he's going to fit in well in Boston. He'll score 20 goals for you in a top-six role, almost in his sleep, especially if you're making space for him. But it could take him a while to get comfortable. That's his M.O.

That's coming from a Tampa fan.

You put him on Bergeron's wing and slide Smith to the LW on the 3rd line. I like this trade a lot. Still think Chiarelli goes and gets a 3/4 defenseman tomorrow.

As a side note. I wanted Boston to go after him during the off season after Iggy walked. Definite high risk, high reward, but I think he's worth it.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Smith - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Ferlin

Yummy!

If Connolly can reach his potential, and there's no reason to think he won't, that is a formidable top six going forward. Hell, a formidable top 12 if we can keep Soda.

Chia does it again! Thank you for your patience.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Damn, shouldn't have checked my Twitter feed one last time before heading to bed. Won't be able to sleep now.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yummy!

If Connolly can reach his potential, and there's no reason to think he won't, that is a formidable top six going forward. Hell, a formidable top 12 if we can keep Soda.

Chia does it again! Thank you for your patience.

Yep Chia came out swinging on this one. Love the move. I hope Chia is here for the next 20 years. Chia and Bill Belichick, my 2 favorite GM's in Boston.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
A win for Chia, and kind of poetic that we give up two 2nds (return from Boychuk trade).

Boston actually traded their own 2nd round picks so they kept both the picks they picked up the Boychuk deal. As much sh....I mean crap...that Chiarelli takes around here this was a good deal and now those much maligned 2nd round picks we got for Boychuk look even better. :handclap:

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
I have zero issues with this move. Yak, kassian were both players that have struggled but we all could see a good player in there somewhere connolly is also another one of those. Very cheap, can skate/ score goals/ big/ and young. So we paid a couple of second rd picks for him honestly i was expecting a massive overpayment for a old veteran rental so happy to see a project deal which could have massive upside. Good deal in my eyes compared to the other overpayments I seen by other teams this year. Now here is the tough question how do you get a top4 dman with those seconds gone now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If nothing else i think this keeps Kelly on the 4th, which is a big plus.

Yeah.

A very high pick who has slightly underwhelmed but is still very young and is doing OK this year in a limited role works for me to slot into our top 9 at RW where we are the thinnest and keep Kelly on the fourth and Campbell upstairs. Fans should see his stats and not expect a messiah pressure shouldn't be too high and most folks will realize the high cost was the same thing Jagr went for.

Only time will tell how good a deal it is. With Spooner looking good leave the forwards as is and lets see if they can nab a decent D man if you add a good enough one the GM will have done what is expected of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad