Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Lightning fans saying he has a upside of being a 20-25 goal a year power forward.. If he gets slotted in, something's gotta give.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Wow. I'm surprised people are down on this one.

Big guy. Natural RW with big offensive upside. Small cap hit leaves room for more to be done.

Big price perhaps, but makes a lot of sense to me.

I agree, when you look at some of the other prices teams were paying I am happy with this, as you say upside, a natural RW. What I like about this deal is that it is not a rental. They aren't a big contender this year so I was hoping they would acquire someone who can contribute beyond this year. As far as the price goes, people were up in arms over the cheap price we got for forgoing 1 year of Boychuck, well that's all we paid. Better than some retread rental.

Jadfoe

Nov 26, 2005
Canmore
Just because of the type of move I flashed back to Chistov almost right away in my mind. I hope not...

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I like it, not wasting assets on rentals.

This.

He could end up being exactly as projected; a top six RW power-forward.

Chiarelli didn't waste assets on a rental and has him here for the future with him on a cheap bridge contract to prove his potential.

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Smith - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Ferlin
Campbell

so far...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Much better than getting Erik Cole for a 2nd and 3rd.

You're not kidding! Way better.

As far as TB's motivation, they are LOADED up front. Connolly is a talent that has had trouble fitting with that franchise. So they decided to move him for GOOD VALUE.

Again, this is a trade that makes sense for both sides to me. I'm very happy with it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Connolly doesn't help now. You can't actually put him ahead of any of the guys we have now since he's more suited for top 6.

This concerns me that Chiarelli is going to do something to outstupid himself tomorrow. Stewart is still out there, folks.

On the plus side, he isn't a rental and may actually finally put it together. more of the above that concerns me ^

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I hear a lot of people give Dougie a lot of credit for what he does at 21, this kid is putting up pretty good numbers at 22. His top 10 first round upside might very well still be there.

Might be a guy that can help us now and in the future.

In a trade market where everyone is getting jacked, I can't complain. Young, cheap, talented.

At least we didn't overpay for an old fat rental. We could have given those picks away for truly nothing, real easy.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Lightning fans saying he has a upside of being a 20-25 goal a year power forward.. If he gets slotted in, something's gotta give.

This is correct.

2010 NHL Draft

1. Hall
2. Seguin
3. Gudbranson
4. Johansen
5. Neiderreiter
6. Connolly
7. Skinner
8. Burmistrov
9. Granlund
10. McIlrath

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I hear a lot of people give Dougie a lot of credit for what he does at 21, this kid is putting up pretty good numbers at 22. His first round upside might very well still be there.

Might be a guy that can help us now and in the future.

In a trade market where everyone is getting jacked, I can't complain. Young, cheap, talented.

At least we didn't overpay for an old fat rental. We could have given those picks away for truly nothing, real easy.

Dougie is a defenseman. He putting up the points he is is impressive.

Brett Connolly has put up like 38 points in 130+ games in the NHL. Nothing impressive about that.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Tampa fans had been saying Connolly has been really playing his best hockey lately so hopefully he keeps it up. This kid can plan now and has some upside. Big, fast, and a plus shot. I prefer this over moving those picks for a rental. Though the price may seem high, this trade helps us now and in the future which is exactly the path I wanted Chia to go. I would have prefered a 2nd +3rd but I'll wait to see how Brett pans out here before worrying about a couple 50~ overall picks especially when we got the ~40th this year, maybe even better with Philly's recent moves, and the Isles next year.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
Some of his goals this season were pretty nice. Maybe not two 2nd round picks nice, but we'll see.

David Krejci*

I don't hate it. I'd rather him than Stewart or Kassian or Cole. This better not be the only move, though.

Interesting. Very interesting. 2 2nds seems steep but he could be a great player for us. I've been very critical of Chiarelli, and rightfully so, but as of right now I have to give him credit for this one. It's a name nobody has really thought of, and from a division rival. Interesting.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Smith - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Ferlin

Folks, we're almost ready to fly there.

Now they have to fix the defense, but I want a clear upgrade on Bart or Seids, otherwise, I'll keep them.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
To me, this is like getting Kassian but with more upside potential, higher cost and a cheaper cap hit.

Again, feeling much better for the reasons I mentioned above. This could be one of the sleeper picks for best trade of the deadline if he finds his game.

I remember following him in the Leafs Tank Nation threads and wondering how he would have been drafted if he was healthy that year.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Best possible of all trades for us. I like it VERY VERY much.
No gamble on a damaged goods player like Stewart. Kassian was the only option and I might think of, but his price was even higher. Also think Connoly has a higher upside.
No stupid suggested trades like Ryder.
A player on a RFA contract who will fight for his NHL future and sign for a very cap friendly bridge contract.
Chia done good.
We probably add another D, sounds it could be Zidlicky - I'd be okay with that too.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He's a fast skater if I recall? Perhaps this team has finally figured our speed is the answer. Unless I'm wrong then forget what I said.

Also, Loui is def getting traded. And with these prices? Overpay us please!

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
Who was he playing with in Tampa?

Brian Boyle was his Primary center. I'm not sure who the other winger was, if I had to guess from watching the Florida game today I would have to say Morrow.

This is correct.

2010 NHL Draft

1. Hall
2. Seguin
3. Gudbranson
4. Johansen
5. Neiderreiter
6. Connolly
7. Skinner
8. Burmistrov
9. Granlund
10. McIlrath

There's some great names up there and that brings some hope. However, there's always names at the top of drafts that don't pan out, I'm just hoping we didn't grab that guy.

Looks like his defensive game isn't really up to par with Clodes usual way of doing things with the young guys. I'm hoping he gives the kid the chance to succeed since everyone's looking at this trade as Boychuk for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad