Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
It stings, he has upside but I don't see where he fits in the lineup. He needs a good distributor to be even remotely worthwhile.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

2010 NHL Entry Draft 6th Pick Overall Tampa Bay Lightning Brett Connolly

Uploaded on Jun 27, 2010

2010 NHL Entry Draft 6th Pick Overall Tampa Bay Lightning Brett Connolly

Brett Connolly said he was in kindergarten when he did something "not very smart." The result: surgery to repair three broken bones in his right hand that Connolly's coach Dean Clark said "feels kind of weird" when you shake it.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...ghtning-top-draft-pick-brett-connolly/1105401

Are there any limitations with your hand?

No, absolutely not. I grew up with it and have adapted. I can make a fist. I can hold a (hockey) stick. I can move everything well. It's just a normal hand.

What happened?

I was swinging off a gate to jump into a lake, which, thinking back on it, was not very smart. I got my hand caught in the gate and it crushed it pretty good. But it's all good now, and it hasn't bothered me since.

What kind of gate?

It was a metal gate to keep vehicles away from the lake. It was just a gate that swung open and closed, and we were swinging off it to jump into the lake. It was definitely something you regret.

How bad were you hurt?

I broke three bones. It was a pretty long surgery. I had to get pins and plates and the whole nine yards. It was definitely the bones and it definitely hurt.

How long before you could start using the hand?

Probably a month or two.

Last edited:

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
Bit of a gamble, but think its worth it considering the state of the team. Should be injection of speed and youth on the cheap. |Waiting for the next move now.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Boston BruinsVerified account
‏@NHLBruins
The draft picks are the Bruins' natural second round pick in 2015 and the natural second round pick in 2016

Bruins keep the Flyers pick. Didn't come cheap but he's a big body with skill.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Boston BruinsVerified account
‏@NHLBruins
The draft picks are the Bruins' natural second round pick in 2015 and the natural second round pick in 2016

Bruins keep the Flyers pick. Didn't come cheap but he's a big body with skill.

Keeping the Flyers pick makes this suck a little less.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=755926

Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today, March 2, that the Bruins have acquired forward Brett Connolly from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for the Bruins' natural second round draft pick in 2015 and the Bruins' natural second round draft pick in 2016.

Chiarelli will address the transaction during his annual trade deadline media availability session at 5 p.m. on Monday, March 2 at TD Garden. Connolly's availability will be confirmed at a later time.

The 22-year-old Connolly has skated in 134 career NHL games for Tampa and registered 18 goals and 14 assists for 32 points and 72 penalty minutes. In 50 games this season, Connolly has 12 goals, three assists and 38 penalty minutes.

During the 2012-13 AHL season Connolly tallied 31 goals and 32 assists for 63 points while playing for the Syracuse Crunch. The 31 goals were tied for the third most in the league while the 63 points ranked ninth.

The 6'2'', 181-pound native of Campbell River, BC was drafted by the Lightning in the first round (6th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I do too.

I cannot complain because of my genuine fear of the rental UFAs out there.

If everyone took a step back they would realize:

1. Skilled, speedy forward
2. Big, and plays physical
3. Reclamation project
4. High upside/potential
5. signed ELC/RFA
6. dirt cheap cap hit

These were my prime reasons for wanting Yakupov/Kassain/Gormley and he fits right into that grouping perfectly. Didn't see Tampa giving up on him but this is a trade that could be a steal if he finds his game with Bergeron-Marchand.

So where does this leave Smith?

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I'm surprised TBay would trade him to an eastern rival. They must not think much of him. Pretty good gamble by my estimate. Guy has succeeded at every level.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
The more I'm thinking about this, the more it makes sense to me. We all said if we wanted to buy it shoud be for the future. Well here we are.. Just hoping this big risk pays off

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I do too.

3. Reclamation project
4. High upside/potential
5. signed ELC/RFA
6. dirt cheap cap hit

These were my prime reasons for wanting Yakupov/Kassain/Gormley and he fits right into that grouping perfectly. Didn't see Tampa giving up on him but this is a trade that could be a steal if he finds his game with Bergeron-Marchand.

Eventually I'd say he will be lw on the third line.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
It's definitely a balls-out trade. I'm interested to see how it'll turn out, for good or bad.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I do too.

3. Reclamation project
4. High upside/potential
5. signed ELC/RFA
6. dirt cheap cap hit

Third line LW for Smith. Where he belongs.

And this is nail on the head. Someone else said its basically Boychuk for Connolly? They're right. It basically is. Which is PRECISELY the kind of deal I was pulling for at the time.

Not the player I was expecting. Arguably much better.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So, where does he fit ? Who are his likely line mates ?

I think he is a great fit now, and in the future with Marchand - Bergeron but his upside could push him to the 1st line.

He was ranked the #3 North American player in the 2010 NHL draft behind only Hall and Seguin. His injuries in the draft year hurt his positioning.

Hall, Seguin, Johansen and Neiderreiter were the four forwards to go before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->