Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFG19

Apr 27, 2014
Put it this way, those two seconds were going no matter what, Chia had to make a move. I prefer we over pay for someone that will continue to help this team in the future whether that be 3rd or 2nd line than for a rental such as cole or glencross.
The cost control is super important too. smart move I say.

Now lets get petry. or possibly a similar move for a dman with a couple of years on a contract.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
So is this the deal the Bruins were "Asked to Keep Deal Quiet for Now "

According to a source the Bruins have made a trade, but the team they traded with has a strategic reason to not announce the deal as of yet.

Doesn't make sense does it????

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Being honest my first thought was "who?"

But looking at his size and stats I'm okay with this move. He isn't a rental. He is young and comes with a contract. It's better than a rental and considering what some rentals we're going for this seems like a fair price.

Doesn't feel like a total desperation move (Erik Cole imo is a desperation move) but I also don't think this is a long coveted or targeted player. He's just the one they could get for the assets they were willing to spend.

I figure right now they will look to put him with Bergeron and shift Smith to the third line (unless they plan to dangle Smith or Loui for a Dman but there don't seem to be many Dmen on the market and if Chiarelli can't land a top 4 Dman I hope he doesn't bother-team is flush with bottom pairing Dmen). When Krejci returns not sure where it leaves Pasta, Smith and Connelly but Inwould much rather head into the playoffs having to decide which is the thirteenth.

I'm hoping they keep Ferlin on that RW but not sure how they handle the 4th line when Soup returns (I hope he's traded or in the Pressbox but Julien won't be without his extra man so that's probably too much to hope for).

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
I haven't seen a lot of Connolly, but in general not super high on the idea of trading for guys who have been big draft disappointments and hoping that will change elsewhere. So I'd be more against this trade than for it.

I will say it beats an idiotic trade for a rental like Jagr, Cole or Stewart in what is not a go for it now type of season. That type of deal would've (and still will if we do a DMan version of it later today) pissed me off. Fine with the idea of trading picks in this situation (a 22 year old guy who you can likely control with a cheap bridge contract thru RFA this year), just not sure Connolly is the right guy.

Still going to be greatly annoyed if Soderberg isn't dealt and then walks as a FA for nothing. No excuse for that in a season like this where a Cup run isn't realistic. If he's not dealt, they better surprise me and extend him.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
It's nice to know that this trade could help us out both now and the future.

Pasta Krejci Lucic Marchand Bergeron and Connolly is a nice group

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

According to a source the Bruins have made a trade, but the team they traded with has a strategic reason to not announce the deal as of yet.

I think that report was either pure rumor or fell through.

I don't see how this would be a trade that needed to stay quiet.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I haven't seen a lot of Connolly, but in general not super high on the idea of trading for guys who have been big draft disappointments and hoping that will change elsewhere. So I'd be more against this trade than for it.

I will say it beats an idiotic trade for a rental like Jagr, Cole or Stewart in what is not a go for it now type of season. That type of deal would've (and still will if we do a DMan version of it later today) pissed me off. Fine with the idea of trading picks in this situation (a 22 year old guy who you can likely control with a cheap bridge contract thru RFA this year), just not sure Connolly is the right guy.

Still going to be greatly annoyed if Soderberg isn't dealt and then walks as a FA for nothing. No excuse for that in a season like this where a Cup run isn't realistic. If he's not dealt, they better surprise me and extend him.

Idk, Minnesota did pretty well grabbing el Niño from the Islanders. I know it's just one example but sometimes guys just need a change of scenery or a different system to take the next step.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Idk, Minnesota did pretty well grabbing el Niño from the Islanders. I know it's just one example but sometimes guys just need a change of scenery or a different system to take the next step.

Yeah. Nino is a really great example of why the value we get back in a recent 6th is worthy of what we gave up there's high end potential to the deal despite his meager stats early on.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Agree.

Also, not sure if 22 means you can declare them a draft bust. There are a lot of 22 year olds still learning the game in the AHL making the transition to the NHL. Some players need more time and maybe a different coach or system.

And keep in mind that Cole went for a 2nd and 3rd and he likely is only a rental. At least this trade allows the Bruins some control over his next contract.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA

Unless Tampa wanted to announce they had aquired two 2nd round picks when they traded a 1st and a 3rd in the Coburn deal?

I agree with you, still seems weak. Maybe it's the "other" deal we are all hoping for with a D coming to us?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
It's an overpayment but it does have the potential to pay off. Would rather a 2nd + a 4th or a prospect but oh well.

I like the idea. Cost-controlled and fast is what we need. Assuming he'll play with Bergy which could be fantastic. Marchand always looks great with someone speedy on the other side.

I'll give it a B. I think we gave up too much but there is potential here.

We still 100% need a defenseman though. I will immediately change the grade to an F if we don't get one.

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
I'd much rather give up the picks for a young, controllable player that has some upside, development remaining than some old rental like Cole.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
He's been playing with Morrow and Boyle and averaging 11:55 per game...he's 18th in the league in goals/minute played for 5 on 5. Speed, cheap, some physicality....i given where this team is realistically, cap trouble for next year, lack of team speed, cost of deadline acquisitions and his upside...I'm good with it.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Not bad, it's not a rental and the kid still has some upside. I imagine this means one of their current wingers is involved in another deal or won't be here next season.

B- (and I mean that in a positive way)

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
There's also a reason why kucherov,Johnson and palat have all played and produced more.The 2nd probably would have gone to waste anyways since they draft poorly but it's still a lot for a guy whose mosty played on the fourth line and really hasn't produced.

I guess the 4th line thing is kind of why he's an unknown. He must have another level. Check this out:

"Connolly has scored 12 goals with three assists in 50 games this season. He’s averaged only 11:55 of ice time per game and has scored 1.24 goals per 60 minutes during 5-on-5 play, which is the 18th-best mark in the NHL and better than anyone on the Bruins. Connolly should score at a higher rate in Boston with more ice time and playmaking centers such as Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Ryan Spooner or Carl Soderberg alongside him."

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So Connolly is a significant upgrade over Reilly Smith ?

I wouldn't say so. I don't like this trade right now. As someone pointed out, the lightning were willing to trade him within the conference, I think he's damaged goods and chiarelli was had. I don't trust the bruins pro scouting department, the last good player they aqcuired in a trade was horton and seidenberg. They haven't correctly evaluated pro talent for a while, which has led to a lot of losses in the market. Proven top 4 defensemen goes essentially for a lottery ticket

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Solid trade for Chiarelli. If you're going to add, you add a guy like this, for the long-term. It sends a signal too, Chiarelli is thinking next year and beyond.
NOW TRIM THE FAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad