Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So Connolly is a significant upgrade over Reilly Smith ?

Skill, speed and sizewise yeah. 12 goals this year on the third line in Tampa. I'd put him there to give him the perfect chance to fulfill his potential.

Same amount of goals this year as Smith but Smith has been with Bergeron and Marchand and Connolly was with Filpulla and Paquette recently.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I like it.

And I can see this:

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Lucic-Spooner-Pastrnak
Connolly-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Campbell-Kelly
Ferlin/Caron

I think the writing is on the wall for Soderberg. In my opinion, they'll either keep Soderberg and trade Spooner, or vice versa. Likely in offseason.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'll probably be in the minority here but my take is that I won't declare it a win or loss until we get a good look at him.

I'll give Chia credit for thinking outside the box on this one. didn't see this coming at all, and I appreciate his apparent logic that if you're going to spend multiple picks on a player then you might as well be getting one with that kind of upside instead of doing it for a guy who is in his late 30's or early 40's.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So Connolly is a significant upgrade over Reilly Smith ?

I don't know how big of an upgrade he is talent wise, although I'd say Connolly could be considered as such.

Big thing to me? He's a better FIT for that line.

Good size. Good speed. Dangerous shot. Good along the walls. He provides some attributes that Smith didn't and that the line sorely needs.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Skill, speed and sizewise yeah. 12 goals this year on the third line in Tampa. I'd put him there to give him the perfect chance to fulfill his potential.

he's not an upgrade over Smith in the way that matters most which is results. At this point in time Smith is a much better hockey player than Brett Connolly. Like the upside here, but let's not get carried away calling this an "upgrade". They are likely banking heavily on the "Bergeron effect" if the plan is to replace Smith with Connolly.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
You could pull in Michalek now and a lot of the blueline is fixed.

Getting Connolly probably precludes it, but I'm still in on a Kassian like pickup as well.

Not sure if makes sense, but you could trade Loui for a top 4 dman and then adding Kassian.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
This.

He could end up being exactly as projected; a top six RW power-forward.

Chiarelli didn't waste assets on a rental and has him here for the future with him on a cheap bridge contract to prove his potential.

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Smith - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Ferlin
Campbell

so far...
I don't know about Connolly with Bergy yet. They'll be playing opponent's number 1 lines … don't think it would be smart to put Connolly there right now.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I'll probably be in the minority here but my take is that I won't declare it a win or loss until we get a good look at him.

I'll give Chia credit for thinking outside the box on this one. didn't see this coming at all, and I appreciate his apparent logic that if you're going to spend multiple picks on a player then you might as well be getting one with that kind of upside instead of doing it for a guy who is in his late 30's or early 40's.

I'm definitely with you here. Initial instinct is that 2 2nd round picks is a little rich, but you can't compare the price of rentals to the price of a guy like Connolly. Hopefully we'll still have this guy even when (if) either of those second round picks cracks Tampa Bay's lineup.

Plus, we really don't know what to expect from him. Certainly not ready to call it a win, but I like the creativity.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
he's not an upgrade over Smith in the way that matters most which is results. At this point in time Smith is a much better hockey player than Brett Connolly. Like the upside here, but let's not get carried away calling this an "upgrade". They are likely banking heavily on the "Bergeron effect" if the plan is to replace Smith with Connolly.

No, Smith is not a much better hockey player than Connolly. Have you been giving Smith the eye test this season? He has been set up for success and has failed. Connolly has not been set up for success. The whole point of the offense is to score goals. That's what he can bring to a team with his shot if he is put in the right position.

I am pretty certain that people will be much happier with Connolly over Smith once he starts playing. He will actually put the puck in the net when giving the chance.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Like this move significantly more than getting either Vermette or Cole. Also gives Boston another person who can put the puck in the net and save some money while doing it. Pretty good move imo.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
It makes me wonder if this is part 1 with all our RW's. Loui or Smith maybe on the way out?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

If Connolly plays with Bergeron, it will be interesting to see how his stats look vs. what Smith's were. Overall, I think Connolly might be more skilled; so perhaps he fits that line better.

Can't say I hate the move, so I'm willing to give it a shot. Really glad those picks weren't used on rentals.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Over last 100 NHL games...

Current Bruins forwards that have had higher goals per 60 minutes production:
Bergeron = 1.2
Pastrnak = 1.1
Lucic = 0.9
Marchand = 0.9
Connolly = 0.7

Better On-Ice Fenwick Differential:
Smith = +530
Bergeron = + 501
Soderberg = +394
Eriksson = +334
Marchand = +274
Lucic = +213
Krejci = +138
Connolly = +122

Better Scoring Chance Differential
Smith = +421
Bergeron = +410
Soderberg = +291
Marchand = +248
Eriksson = +232
Lucic = +117
Krejci = +99
Connolly = +83

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Same amount of goals this year as Smith but Smith has been with Bergeron and Marchand and Connolly was with Filpulla and Paquette recently.

4th line mostly. He's really been enjoying throwing the body around lately. He has a great shot, but doesn't have the hockey IQ that Yzerman and his scouts like (Yzerman actually let the scouting staff that was in place already in 2010 make the picks that year, and he didn't bring in Al Murray until something like August 2010?).

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Dougie is a defenseman. He putting up the points he is is impressive.

Brett Connolly has put up like 38 points in 130+ games in the NHL. Nothing impressive about that.

Dougie gets a long leash for figuring out how to play defense in the NHL from a lot of people, maybe this kid gets the same consideration on offense.

The numbers aren't bad for a kid his age on the 3rd/4th line. They're there.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Also, in terms of lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on the 4th. Especially if there's another forward to be added.

Two seconds for a fourth line player? What a waste.

I highly doubt that's where Chiarelli was going with this trade.

I actually believe he thinks Connolly will be the new Nathan Horton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest