Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
well Wagners hurting, Backes is pretty useless IMO.

Wagner IMO, is not healthy, no way he goes from playing the game we saw all season to what he`s done in the playoffs and Backes, despite having a great game 2 has been irrelevant since then, totally understandable moves

Thought Nordstrom and KK had a rough go of it, but it's good to see Cassidy with a lineup he's comfortable with at least.

He's given up on Backes and IMO it's a shame but it is what it is.

Reactions: Bluesguru

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Conclusion:

Both fan bases have no clue what outcoaching means (or actually coaching)

Disagree

Both Babcock and Cassidy have had their moments and edge

Game 1 - Babcock - Stretch pass
Game 2 - Cassidy - Insert Backes, prevent stretch pass. High flip outs
Game 3 - Babcock - Expose the Bruins 4th line and raise physicality/forchecking pressure
Game 4 - Cassidy - Splitting the 1st line and use Pasta on the 2nd line
Game 5 - Babcock - Neutralize Bruins PP. Bruins go 0-3
Game 6 - Cassidy - PP adjustment (Johansson pass "game"). Bottom 6 lineup changes

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Disagree

Game 3 - Babcock - Expose the Bruins 4th line and raise physicality/forchecking pressure
Game 6 - Cassidy - PP adjustment (Johansson pass "game"). Bottom 6 lineup changes

Conclusion:

Shit happens that professional coaches take advantage of and they make adjustments and sometimes even make mistakes. :eek:

All things being equal, unless one coach is seriously tactically outmatched, which is pretty rare in the NHL, there's not much of a case to be made for being"outcoached". It comes down to execution by the players.

It's an overused cliche

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I don`t have a huge issue if Nordy draws back in for a Kuhlman but also wouldn`t be worried if KK stays in however, not so sure I entertain for one second at putting Backes in and who would he draw in for?

Do you mean Wagner? Both Kuhlman and Nordy played yesterday.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Conclusion:

**** happens that professional coaches take advantage of and they make adjustments and sometimes even make mistakes. :eek:

All things being equal, unless one coach is seriously tactically outmatched, which is pretty rare in the NHL, there's not much of a case to be made for being"outcoached". It comes down to execution by the players.

It's an overused cliche

Not sure it's overused, sure players have huge impact. Using other sports as example I don't think it would matter which coach LeBron won a title with in Miami bc talent is a huge factor in the NBA. Since NHL has more parody Id say coaching is even more important to gain an edge

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Not sure it's overused, sure players have huge impact. Using other sports as example I don't think it would matter which coach LeBron won a title with in Miami bc talent is a huge factor in the NBA. Since NHL has more parody Id say coaching is even more important to gain an edge

And I would counter with the point I made to @rocketdan9 I think it's pretty rare that NHL coaches make blunders so bad that they're being tactically outmatched especially in a 7 game series. Both teams have 4 lines and 3 sets of defensemen and 2 goaltenders. From there it's all about matchups which the home team has last change as we all know. These guys play this game with each other for 82 games before they get to the playoffs which is why I think it's hard to be tactically out maneuvered

Reactions: OV

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

It's an overused cliche

Happened to Cooper, Sullivan, Peters

If thats not outcoached... what was that?

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Happened to Cooper, Sullivan, Peters

If thats not outcoached... what was that?

Did two time Stanley Cup winning coach Mike Sullivan suddenly go brain dead because one Cup winning coach Barry Trotz is so much smarter? John Cooper was a genius for 82 games and all of a sudden he can't match wits with John Tortorella in the playoffs? Bill Peters lost a series because Jared Bednar was smarter?

Without knowing what exactly Coach A is trying to do to counteract what Coach B is doing, isn't it all speculation?

Because what it's telling me saying someone was "outcoached" is the other guy was smarter. How do you prove that?

Define what exactly being "outcoached" is then?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Did two time Stanley Cup winning coach Mike Sullivan suddenly go brain dead because one Cup winning coach Barry Trotz is so much smarter? John Cooper was a genius for 82 games and all of a sudden he can't match wits with John Tortorella in the playoffs? Bill Peters lost a series because Jared Bednar was smarter?

Without knowing what exactly Coach A is trying to do to counteract what Coach B is doing, isn't it all speculation?

Because what it's telling me saying someone was "outcoached" is the other guy was smarter. How do you prove that?

Define what exactly being "outcoached" is then?

Yes they did go "braindead" as you call it

I would not use past success or regular season record ... playoffs is a different animal

Focus on the playoff matchup this season

Yes, they got outcoached.... they got swept... no other way to dance around it

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

I would not use past success or regular season record ... playoffs is a different animal

You're not defining the term though, you're stating your opinion and that doesn't pass muster for me. So is every win in a team sport is because someone outcoached someone? I can buy outplaying, but I don't think you can unequivocally say someone was outcoached. You'd have to be on the bench to be able to say that for certain

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Yes and no. I meant more that it was his first game back and starting the fourth line and the pregame comments seemed like we were welcoming back an All Star caliber player. I love SK’s game and he was great yesterday and we definitely need him, and missed him, on the fourth line. I guess I just more meant that even if SK has the best game of his entire life, if the 63s 88s 37s and 46s don’t come through, it’s all for naught.

Completely understood and agreed.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Do you mean Wagner? Both Kuhlman and Nordy played yesterday.
sorry, meant to say if Nordy and Kuhlman stay in and Wags sits, think he`s still injured or is hampered with something, his game too consistent all season long for him to be playing a softer game like he`s showed in the few games he`s played

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Disagree

So in yesterday's game, Cassidy's adjustment (Johansson) somehow led to Marchand's shot, directly off a faceoff, bouncing off a Toronto player and beating Anderson. And then Anderson directing a rebound right on to Krug's stick so he can make a perfect shot on a one timer.

Not buying it.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He was good yesterday, taking out an injured hitter and a slow hitter for 2 faster guys who can get on the Leafs dee fast

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Hoping he doesn't get too pre-occupied with line matching.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think Cassidy should keep the same line as Sunday. My only question is, do you put Wagner in? And, if so, for who?

Maybe try plugging Wagner in for Nordstrom. Doubt Cassidy does this as he loves him some Nordy.

Would be nice to see the 4th line together again as Kuraly gets closer to 100%.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Wagner is clearly less than 100% and should not see the Leafs again this season.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I wouldn't say Tampa lost because they were out coached at all. I'd say they lost because that's a team built on skill and speed that was ill suited to play the style of hockey that occurs in the playoffs.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I wouldn't say Tampa lost because they were out coached at all. I'd say they lost because that's a team built on skill and speed that was ill suited to play the style of hockey that occurs in the playoffs.

I'm not stating is all on coaching, but the other poster sounds like, it's little coaching and the rest is a bigger factor

Cooper stuck with the same lineup from games 1 to 3

He didn't really adjust any kind of structure/matchup

game 4, he made a few tweaks and team looked better. But it was a little too late

Maybe this series is an exception due to CBJ looking like a top seed with all the trades they made

but what happened to the Pens and Flames is mainly due to coaching

Pens scored 1 goal only from games 2 to 4. The PP didn't look the same and Pens offensive style was "leaky" so that Islanders had a healthy diet of odd man rushes

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm not stating is all on coaching, but the other poster sounds like, it's little coaching and the rest is a bigger factor

Cooper stuck with the same lineup from games 1 to 3

He didn't really adjust any kind of structure/matchup

game 4, he made a few tweaks and team looked better. But it was a little too late

Maybe this series is an exception due to CBJ looking like a top seed with all the trades they made

but what happened to the Pens and Flames is mainly due to coaching

Pens scored 1 goal only from games 2 to 4. The PP didn't look the same and Pens offensive style was "leaky" so that Islanders had a healthy diet of odd man rushes

Ahem... are you referring to me as "the other poster"? If so, then allow me to continue...

I never said coaching wasn't a factor, I said that being "outcoached" was largely a myth in the NHL.

And...

giphy.gif

I'm still waiting for you to quantify what being "outcoached" actually means.

Is this an example?

Coach A puts his 1st line out against Coach B's 4th line. The 4th liners score a goal. So Coach A is an idiot who got "outcoached"?

Please show me where I indicated in any of my posts if "little coaching" has to do with the outcomes of games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad