Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Well if we could make a time machine to go back to the days Julien could make the post season regularly then we might have a conversation

He coached a projected lottery team to 96 points. I think with a better team he would be a force in playoff hockey. When was babcocks or quenvilles last success ?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This looks like the classic "don't know who to blame so blame the coach" post.
I don't really see where the B's are clearly being out-coached. Looks clear to me they are being out-played, though.

Nice use of hockey clichés, though. Loyalty to wrong guys, play the percentages, play to your strengths, overly creative, smartest man in the room, hamstring players, no growth in weak areas, can't win Cup with him........

How about some specifics.
We will just have to disagree then if you don't think the Bs are clearly being out-coached. I feel this group of players is not being put in the best position to win from a variety of angles. That's cool, as everyone has a right to their opinion. Do a search of my posts involving Cassidy and you will find plenty of what I was concerned about with him, along with very specific issues before this season started, during the season, and before the playoffs. Don't feel like making a mega mega post and flexing right now. The precise issues, along with specific ways to solve them, were addressed in good detail. You will also find a heap of praise from me regarding Cassidy, even to the point I think he deserved to be nominated for the Jack Adams award this season. He's a very good coach in many respects, but with some fatal weaknesses that continue to burn him in the post-season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We will just have to disagree then if you don't think the Bs are clearly being out-coached. I feel this group of players is not being put in the best position to win from a variety of angles. That's cool, as everyone has a right to their opinion. Do a search of my posts involving Cassidy and you will find plenty of what I was concerned about with him, along with very specific issues before this season started, during the season, and before the playoffs. Don't feel like making a mega mega post and flexing right now. The precise issues, along with specific ways to solve them, were addressed in good detail. You will also find a heap of praise from me regarding Cassidy, even to the point I think he deserved to be nominated for the Jack Adams award this season. He's a very good coach in many respects, but with some fatal weaknesses that continue to burn him in the post-season.

OK.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So coaching is never a factor is what you're saying ?

Of course not. It is a factor, but I don't think it's a major factor (especially with grown men and professionals of the highest caliber), and I don't believe it is in this series either. The Bruins are not playing with the intensity they need- losing board battles, no forecheck, not tracking down lose pucks. That is on the players, not the coach.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Of course not. It is a factor, but I don't think it's a major factor (especially with grown men and professionals of the highest caliber), and I don't believe it is in this series either. The Bruins are not playing with the intensity they need- losing board battles, no forecheck, not tracking down lose pucks. That is on the players, not the coach.

In a 7 game series it all starts with coaching and game plan adjustments as per how the series is going imo. Bad coaching can sink a team in a series. Cassidy hasn't been bad as its game 6 but he could be better

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
In a 7 game series it all starts with coaching and game plan adjustments as per how the series is going imo. Bad coaching can sink a team in a series. Cassidy hasn't been bad as its game 6 but he could be better

I agree it has a role. At the end of the day, the players have to go out and do it, and I don't feel like the team has done what is needed of them whatever the system or plan is.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Cassidy was over thinking last night mixed his lines too much and played kurally to much for being his first game.
just play the game and create offence from your d. MacAvoy, gryzlyk, and krug, need to get involved offensively to
create space for the forwards who are being smothered by the leafs. Muzzin doing a job on pasta.Pasta needs to
get away from that match-up.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Cassidy was over thinking last night mixed his lines too much and played kurally to much for being his first game.
just play the game and create offence from your d. MacAvoy, gryzlyk, and krug, need to get involved offensively to
create space for the forwards who are being smothered by the leafs. Muzzin doing a job on pasta.Pasta needs to
get away from that match-up.

They appear to be too freaked out about the stretch pass and Toronto's speed to green light the d men like that.

Reactions: rocketdan9

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
"I think Toronto understands how they have to play to beat us, and I think we can certainly keep up the pace. I think we’re a more physical team once it gets going. Last year we kind of dragged them into that game. I think it worked in our favor. I don’t know if they’ll bite on that again this year, so I think the first game we’re looking at probably dressing our fastest lineup."

I read this as being reactive not proactive. A poor mentality to send to the players. If we were the lesser team heading into the series (an 8 vs 1 seed for example) it would have made sense.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Leafs team is healthier, younger/faster and hungrier, Cassidy cannot make the bruins all healthy and younger/faster, desire should come within at this point in their careers. Leafs just want it more, you see it in every forecheck. Andersen has been great, he is in the Bruins heads like Holtby.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I thought when Julien left that we were done with passive hockey, Cassidy brought in the aggressive forecheck and D-men pinching in hard. Suddenly he decided to go back to Julien hockey this series and it has been a huge failure, and in my opinion is the main reason we have looked so bad and are headed for an exit tomorrow. We are playing not to lose instead of trying to win.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I thought when Julien left that we were done with passive hockey, Cassidy brought in the aggressive forecheck and D-men pinching in hard. Suddenly he decided to go back to Julien hockey this series and it has been a huge failure, and in my opinion is the main reason we have looked so bad and are headed for an exit tomorrow. We are playing not to lose instead of trying to win.

“Julien hockey” sucked didn’t it? I hated that Cup.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Has there been a game all year the bottom 4 forwards played less?

If not that’s a significant change after 87 games

Players aren’t ready for that and your asking some older players after a long grind in a speed game to maintain or improve on

Just me but I don’t think that’s a smart move - they are in the first round.

He’s had a great year coaching last night though he went against his usual methods

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Say what you want about any coach, but they can't go on the ice and play the games. Cassidy isn't being outcoached- the Bruins players are being outplayed. It's pretty simple, really.

Cassidy getting out coached. Did Columbus try to stretch the ice against Tampa Bay? Or did they use their size and zone up to make things difficult for the Lightning? You bet your booty Cassidy is getting out coached.

Reactions: Fenian24

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Claude? Did people forget the system he had in place here that led to his removal? I would argue if Claude were coach today, you would be seeing the same brand of hockey we have in the playoffs except game 2.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
“Julien hockey” sucked didn’t it? I hated that Cup.

Funny how when Neely commented in 2011 that the Bruins were playing not to lose instead of trying to win that Julien changed his tactics, and presto we won the cup.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Say what you want about any coach, but they can't go on the ice and play the games. Cassidy isn't being outcoached- the Bruins players are being outplayed. It's pretty simple, really.
Yes, they’re being outplayed but what is the function of a coach? To merely run practices?

One function is to avoid “too many men” calls during an efffin critical playoff game. Another is to motivate and make adjustments not just to personnel and line combos but to individual players consistently and incessantly during games. Not seeing that from this guy. He displays a stoic bewilderment that is both mystifying and infuriating.

Reactions: missingchicklet

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Leafs team is healthier, younger/faster and hungrier, Cassidy cannot make the bruins all healthy and younger/faster, desire should come within at this point in their careers. Leafs just want it more, you see it in every forecheck. Andersen has been great, he is in the Bruins heads like Holtby.
Anderson has been no better than Rask, both have played 5 games both have give up the same amount of goals against. These two teams are very even, the scores show that. We want the Bruins to be better, Leaf fans want their team to be better, just to close to call. Really wish they had of improved that 5/6 d pair with some size and grit, that’s on Sweeney and Cassidy as Cassidy had the oppyunity to get bigger back there with a kid and Sweeney had ample time to upgrade with a full season, that is really my only disappointment with this team. I believed right from the start it would be a dog fight and it has proven to be so.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Cassidy is being out-coached at the moment. Babcock has him sending out the Bruins 4th line against his own 1st line even when Cassidy has the last change. When you can get the opposing coach to try and put his 4th line on the ice against your 1st your winning... Babcock is sticking with his line combos and Cassidy is leaving the blender on from horn to horn. He is also overplaying the Bergy line, which combined with the constant double shifting and line juggling is tiring them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad