Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Cassidy deserves a tremendous amount of credit for turning things around mid-series. He had the balls to recognize the plan they came into the series with wasn't working, and in Game 6 he talked about the changes they made to get back their game back and play to their identity (rather than reacting and trying to counter Toronto's style). Not an easy thing to do to say "screw it, this isn't working."

Accepting the risk involved in getting back to a high pressure game, changing the forecheck and breakouts, he changed his lines to make us harder to defend and give Krejci some help. He mixed up his PP strategy for G6 and that bore fruit. Sitting Backes for Kuhlman took balls. And he got some good fortune getting Kuraly back when he did.

It wasn't perfect (who is), and there are still things I'd like to see him do (ingrate), but he impressed me with his adjustments, and it's no easy thing to win a coaching battle against Babcock, so he deserves some props as far as I'm concerned.
Not sure what his adjustment was against the Leafs top line after game one, but it worked like a charm.

Marner and Tavares
Game 1------------------- 3 goals 1 assist +5
Games 2 through 7 --- 1 goal 4 assists -14

Last edited:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Ironic that people were pissing and moaning about Cassidy getting outcoached during this series, yet in game 7 with all the chips on the table, Babcock **** his pants. I mean how the **** do you not have Matthews out there for most of the third period? Talk about blatant coaching miscues, that's literally shameful.

I think Tavares played like 20 minutes last night and Matthews like 18. How are they both not playing like 25 minutes in that situation?

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Tavares played like 20 minutes last night and Matthews like 18. How are they both not playing like 25 minutes in that situation?

I saw more of Hyman, Ennis, and Gauthier in the third than I did of Marner, Matthews, and Tavares. It was literally inexcusable. You're down two goals and you don't double shift your best offensive players? If the Bruins had lost in that manner, people would be screaming for Cassidy's head today.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not sure what his adjustment was against the Leafs top line after game one, but it worked like a charm.

Marner and Tavares

not sure if it wasn`t more about emphasizing the focus in the neutral zone more than making an adjustment itself. Game 1 featured far too many odd man rushes and converted stretch passes which everyone and his sister know is what makes the Leafs tick. For the most part, the B`s limited that part of the Leafs game

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Last's night game is so simple but everyone can pretend it is all coaching . One goalie let in 2 goals , 1 of which wasn't a scoring chance and the other was a low end chance at best . The other goalie made a quite a few big saves . The reality of last night is the bruins played pretty good defense but didn't really produce that much on offense . Andersson had a great series but he easily takes the blame in game 7.

I knew after watching the game I would hear from the Toronto media how two people blew it--babcock and gardiner . I am supposed to think if Mathews minutes had two more minutes they would've won .

Before the series the Toronto media and the sixty five percent over confident bunch on here said there was no way the bruins wouldn't take huge advantage of the Toronto defense and system and fill the net . You guys can pretend that happened if you want but in reality it didn't come anywhere close to happening. Secondly we didn't have a decisive edge on any line match up , even when kadri went out we couldn't expose their third line . They actually exposed our 4th line early in the series but kurally came in and changed that .

I say all this thinking this Bruin team is freaking awesome and very very well coached . I guess people just cant accept when you win or lose a coin flip. I personally think this bruin team is the strongest we have had this decade .

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Last's night game is so simple but everyone can pretend it is all coaching . One goalie let in 2 goals , 1 of which wasn't a scoring chance and the other was a low end chance at best . The other goalie made a quite a few big saves . The reality of last night is the bruins played pretty good defense but didn't really produce that much on offense . Andersson had a great series but he easily takes the blame in game 7.

I knew after watching the game I would hear from the Toronto media how two people blew it--babcock and gardiner . I am supposed to think if Mathews minutes had two more minutes they would've won .

Before the series the Toronto media and the sixty five percent over confident bunch on here said there was no way the bruins wouldn't take huge advantage of the Toronto defense and system and fill the net . You guys can pretend that happened if you want but in reality it didn't come anywhere close to happening. Secondly we didn't have a decisive edge on any line match up , even when kadri went out we couldn't expose their third line . They actually exposed our 4th line early in the series but kurally came in and changed that .

I say all this thinking this Bruin team is freaking awesome and very very well coached . I guess people just cant accept when you win or lose a coin flip.

Babcock didn't have his team ready in a close out game 6 at home. Cassidy had his team ready for a game 7 close out game at least it seemed like that to me. Blowing 3 leads in a series the coach should get a lot of blame

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I say all this thinking this Bruin team is freaking awesome and very very well coached . I guess people just cant accept when you win or lose a coin flip.
If there was a player who was consistently dangerous in the series, it was Matthews, Tavares and Marner were given the assignment of looking after the Bergy line, for Babcock to have Matthews glued to the bench as often as he was when the tilt was still in reach would have had Bruins fans irate if he were wearing a spoked B

Once again, this is Babcock doing Babcock things, believing that his way is the only way that wins and that attitude has had his teams bounced 5 out of the last 6 years

No question Andersson let in what I would say were two softies (Mojo goal was one fans here would lose it with Tuukka), but Babcock over thinks things

Mattews is in his early 20`s, in a game 7 , he`s sitting drinking water on the bench with Marleau and Ennis on the ice.....

Reactions: 00BW

False Start

May 8, 2018
If there was a player who was consistently dangerous in the series, it was Matthews, Tavares and Marner were given the assignment of looking after the Bergy line, for Babcock to have Matthews glued to the bench as often as he was when the tilt was still in reach would have had Bruins fans irate if he were wearing a spoked B

Once again, this is Babcock doing Babcock things, believing that his way is the only way that wins and that attitude has had his teams bounced 5 out of the last 6 years

No question Andersson let in what I would say were two softies (Mojo goal was one fans here would lose it with Tuukka), but Babcock over thinks things

Mojo goal? The one where Big Boy Coyle screened the hell out of Andersen?

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

Mattews is in his early 20`s, in a game 7 , he`s sitting drinking water on the bench with Marleau and Ennis on the ice.....

lol mojo goal was basically unstoppable . Johnny T is now a great two way player . Babcock's Detroit teams were completely out talented . As I say take what turned out to be a flip of a coin and turn it in to something far different you aren't alone.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Didn`t think it was a terrific goal TBH, don`t get me wrong, I loved it but....would you feel the same if Tuukka let that in?

I felt like it was a good goal. Similar to the Tavares one. Went bar in haha.

Both were off horrible turnovers. Tuukka had a clean look but Tavares has a great shot. Andersen didn't even have a good look at it.

I would love Tuukka to have had his goal against but snipers score and I just accept it.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I felt like it was a good goal. Similar to the Tavares one. Went bar in haha.

Both were off horrible turnovers. Tuukka had a clean look but Tavares has a great shot. Andersen didn't even have a good look at it.

I would love Tuukka to have had his goal against but snipers score and I just accept it.

I can't even compare them/ Andersson had zero shot on mojo , this is the first I have heard of anyone questioning that goal . rask had a shot at j.t but hey not a bad goal and tons of nice saves . Super super solid series for both goalies if you take away andersson game 7 . It was the only bad performance.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I say all this thinking this Bruin team is freaking awesome and very very well coached . I guess people just cant accept when you win or lose a coin flip. I personally think this bruin team is the strongest we have had this decade .

Maybe, maybe not. But having Matthews on ice more would at least have given them a better shot of scoring than Ennis, Gautheir, and Hyman, no? It's called putting yourself in the best possible spot to succeed. In this case, during crunch time where situational hockey dictates your best players need to be given more chances to convert, Babcock went in a different direction. It isn't a matter of them winning if Matthews gets more time, it's just playing the percentages.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Babcock didn't have his team ready in a close out game 6 at home. Cassidy had his team ready for a game 7 close out game at least it seemed like that to me. Blowing 3 leads in a series the coach should get a lot of blame

Amazing how a shot that goes in 1 of a million times like Nordstrom and Mathews is stopped point blank in the first few minutes will make you think who had their team ready to play.

I know that if the play of the eighteen on eighteen was one hundred percent exactly the same last night but the goalies reversed how they played ==================== All your comments would be far different . I am starting to think a lot of you don't watch the games you just get up and look at the summary.

We dodged a huge bullet in this series . Someone had to win and someone had to lose . We really couldn't expose them in any way so I can't blame their coach like the rest of the world. I hope the gm does fire him though as I cant stand the media so I hope the team screws up.

As far as game 6 goes Toronto missed a huge chance but they came out strong than bruins played an awesome game . I think we are an awesome team and the rating of Toronto etc should at least wait to see how we look against other teams .

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Amazing how a shot that goes in 1 of a million times like Nordstrom and Mathews is stopped point blank in the first few minutes will make you think who had their team ready to play.

I know that if the play of the eighteen on eighteen was one hundred percent exactly the same last night but the goalies reversed how they played ==================== All your comments would be far different . I am starting to think a lot of you don't watch the games you just get up and look at the summary.

We dodged a huge bullet in this series . Someone had to win and someone had to lose . We really couldn't expose them in any way so I can't blame their coach like the rest of the world. I hope the gm does fire him though as I cant stand the media so I hope the team screws up.

As far as game 6 goes Toronto missed a huge chance but they came out strong than bruins played an awesome game . I think we are an awesome team and the rating of Toronto etc should at least wait to see how we look against other teams .

I have no issue if you live in a world where coaching is irrelevant. To me Cassidy cleary won the coaching matchup coming back 3 times down in a series

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I have no issue if you live in a world where coaching is irrelevant. To me Cassidy cleary won the coaching matchup coming back 3 times down in a series

I don't live in that world but when you have two great coaches and I had to listen before the series the way we would expose them which didn't happen I can't blame him .

I give up anyways I will let you guys blame the losing coach night by night . The great thing about this series is it wasn't physically taxing, we need to get mentally ready tomorrow so I will move on now .

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Bruce will have to keep on his toes at this point.

Yes, the BJs are sufficiently terrified of Coyle and Co. on third line, and are wary of Acciari/Kuraly/Nords on 4th, justifiably so.

Now might be the time to “dance with the girl that brung ya” with respect to 63-37-88 and let the 2nd line be the experiment for awhile. Particularly if DK is out for a bit.

And for God’s sake, enough with the too many mens...

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cassidy is playing a video game right now

I didnt know if Backes insert was going to work

But it was just what the doctor ordered

Thank god also he yanked Pasta and Krug from the 1st PP unit

I have never seen a SH powerplay like that in my life

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Cassidy is playing a video game right now

I didnt know if Backes insert was going to work

But it was just what the doctor ordered

Thank god also he yanked Pasta and Krug from the 1st PP unit

I have never seen a SH powerplay like that in my life
I am so damn tired of the four forwards one defenseman PP! Julien started that and I would be pulling my hair out, watching Krejci on the point- he can't keep it in the zone, neither can Brad, sometimes Bergy can. When Chara would go in front of the net- he was more successful,, in my opinion, because he was hard to knock down. Krug is always on his butt, jammed in the corner with a player or fighting one or two guys in front of the net while one of our scoring forwards has to chase a guy on a breakaway. It's not working, it hasn't been working since Krug has been going up- time to end it.

Bergy's line plus Charlie and Gryz
Krejci's line plus Krug and Carlo

Balance, coach.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Marner and Tavares

Cassidy caught a huge break when Kadri took himself out of the series. That really curtailed the Leafs advantage at Center and overall depth. Cassidy still took the wrong approach against Toronto but won because the Leafs shot themselves in the foot with Kadri. Now you pull Nylander to cover at Center and advantage Toronto is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad