Management Bruce Cassidy II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So in yesterday's game, Cassidy's adjustment (Johansson) somehow led to Marchand's shot, directly off a faceoff, bouncing off a Toronto player and beating Anderson. And then Anderson directing a rebound right on to Krug's stick so he can make a perfect shot on a one timer.

Not buying it.
I'll let you know tomorrow who got out coached tonight

Reactions: Chief Nine

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It’s always fun to come here and read that Cassidy is being outcoached...and then hop over to the Toronto board to read that Babcock is being outcoached.

I think there are two ways to be out coached, one is you stick to an in game approach too long that isn`t working and another is switching things up too soon rather than stay the course a touch longer. Last year in game 7 Babcock refused to ride his horses and I think it killed them and I`m not so sure he`ll ever change. The coach that establishes the approach somewhere between the two things I mentioned will likely be the one whose team will be hosting round 2

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Ahem... are you referring to me as "the other poster"? If so, then allow me to continue...

I never said coaching wasn't a factor, I said that being "outcoached" was largely a myth in the NHL.

And...

giphy.gif

I'm still waiting for you to quantify what being "outcoached" actually means.

Is this an example?

Coach A puts his 1st line out against Coach B's 4th line. The 4th liners score a goal. So Coach A is an idiot who got "outcoached"?

Please show me where I indicated in any of my posts if "little coaching" has to do with the outcomes of games

a coaches job is to implement his system, if the other team finds holes in that system it's the coaches job to adjust. If you're out coached the opposite coach is making adjustments on his side to exploit the system you have asked your players to play.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I think there are two ways to be out coached, one is you stick to an in game approach too long that isn`t working and another is switching things up too soon rather than stay the course a touch longer. Last year in game 7 Babcock refused to ride his horses and I think it killed them and I`m not so sure he`ll ever change. The coach that establishes the approach somewhere between the two things I mentioned will likely be the one whose team will be hosting round 2

lol babcock took a one goal lead in to a third period and than his goalie opened the flood gates . Maybe he should've switched goalies before the third=sarcasm . I would obviously defend Cassidy the same way , it just kills me how the bounce of a puck etc has you guys saying one coach out coached the other . I see by your last sentence you have already decided that coaching will decide tonight , I am on a different fence thinking that the team executes the best will probably win . Better goaltending and luck will also be a huge factor .

Reactions: Chief Nine

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Scotty Bowman outcoached many of the coaches he faced in the playoffs. Is their an argument against this? No. Did Herb Brooks do a good job against the USSR coach in Lake Placid? Yes

coaching in big games is a huge factor, if it wasn't coaches wouldn't be paid millions

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Given everything he's had to deal with these past few years, I trust Cassidy at this point. He can't help it when injuries have taken such a severe toll on the team.

Some gameplans will be good some days, and horrendous on others. Playing a speedy team like Toronto makes Bruce's job even harder. I won't make excuses for the man, but I am thankful for his flexibility; something Claude never could seem to learn

Reactions: zaYG

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
a coaches job is to implement his system, if the other team finds holes in that system it's the coaches job to adjust. If you're out coached the opposite coach is making adjustments on his side to exploit the system you have asked your players to play.

Which means to me that the coach doing the exploiting is taking advantage of the other coach's lineup. There isn't always an answer to counter another coach's moves if you don't have the horses. I'll stick to my premise that it's rare to be outcoached which to implies that one coach failed to do his job.

You can make the case that John Tortorella outcoached John Cooper because failed to make adjustments, but was that really the case over those 4 games? If Columbus took it to them (which they did) isn't it on the players to respond? And if Tampa's not a good matchup for how Cloumbus plays then how is that the coach's fault? These guys spend every waking hour looking over tapes and considering matchups and try to get the right players in the right situations, but it doesn't always work.

Look at Marchand's goal off the faceoff the other night. That was partly due to Bergeron winning the faceoff, and Marchand being in the right position. But he gets a shot away that hits Hainsey's leg and Andersen's pad and it goes in the net.

So someone could say "Well Cassidy outcoached Babcock on that play there" when there was some luck involved?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
This BS about who's getting outcoached by who is ridiculous. The majority of these people don't even know the nuiances of what a coach does/has to do and just look at the score of the game.

That's what I posted yesterday. You'd have to literally be on the bench and in the room to actually make a valid argument whether one guy outcoached another guy

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It’s always fun to come here and read that Cassidy is being outcoached...and then hop over to the Toronto board to read that Babcock is being outcoached.

I was about to post the same thing and you beat me to it.

You can say the same thing about refereeing.......same game, both boards complaining about how the refs are screwing them.

The amount of arm-chair hockey experts who come on these boards and argue about who "out-coached" who is laughable. Makes you wonder how either team even MADE the playoffs to begin with, considering what shit coaches they have......

3 weeks ago, John Tortorella was a shit coach, as Columbus was on the outside of a playoff spot, looking in. Now he's a master motivator......Give it a rest already.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

You can say the same thing about refereeing.......same game, both boards complaining about how the refs are screwing them.

The amount of arm-chair hockey experts who come on these boards and argue about who "out-coached" who is laughable. Makes you wonder how either team even MADE the playoffs to begin with, considering what **** coaches they have......

3 weeks ago, John Tortorella was a **** coach, as Columbus was on the outside of a playoff spot, looking in. Now he's a master motivator......Give it a rest already.

Guy Boucher had a system for Ottawa that got them withing 1 win of the finals. That would be another example of out coaching

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Scotty Bowman outcoached many of the coaches he faced in the playoffs. Is their an argument against this? No. Did Herb Brooks do a good job against the USSR coach in Lake Placid? Yes

coaching in big games is a huge factor, if it wasn't coaches wouldn't be paid millions

Un-surprisingly, you miss the point once again.

Nobody is arguing the importance of coaching. What is in question, is the ability of the average poster on these boards to have any clue whatsoever of determining who is doing it better than others, other than basing that opinion on the result of the last game played.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

The amount of arm-chair hockey experts who come on these boards and argue about who "out-coached" who is laughable. Makes you wonder how either team even MADE the playoffs to begin with, considering what **** coaches they have......

3 weeks ago, John Tortorella was a **** coach, as Columbus was on the outside of a playoff spot, looking in. Now he's a master motivator......Give it a rest already.

The Tortorella example is the best example for your point for sure. I totally agree.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
How'd he do the following year, with basically the same roster + Matt Duchene?

He must have forgotten how to coach.....

perhaps other coaches figured out his style. I bet breaking down film of your opponent and the system they run is a regular part of the job.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
lol babcock took a one goal lead in to a third period and than his goalie opened the flood gates . Maybe he should've switched goalies before the third=sarcasm . I would obviously defend Cassidy the same way , it just kills me how the bounce of a puck etc has you guys saying one coach out coached the other . I see by your last sentence you have already decided that coaching will decide tonight , I am on a different fence thinking that the team executes the best will probably win . Better goaltending and luck will also be a huge factor .
actually, the coach who, IMO, doesn`t panic or rush to change in either direction too quickly will likely have the confidence of the team and they`ll win

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Cassidy deserves a tremendous amount of credit for turning things around mid-series. He had the balls to recognize the plan they came into the series with wasn't working, and in Game 6 he talked about the changes they made to get back their game back and play to their identity (rather than reacting and trying to counter Toronto's style). Not an easy thing to do to say "screw it, this isn't working."

Accepting the risk involved in getting back to a high pressure game, changing the forecheck and breakouts, he changed his lines to make us harder to defend and give Krejci some help. He mixed up his PP strategy for G6 and that bore fruit. Sitting Backes for Kuhlman took balls. And he got some good fortune getting Kuraly back when he did.

It wasn't perfect (who is), and there are still things I'd like to see him do (ingrate), but he impressed me with his adjustments, and it's no easy thing to win a coaching battle against Babcock, so he deserves some props as far as I'm concerned.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ironic that people were pissing and moaning about Cassidy getting outcoached during this series, yet in game 7 with all the chips on the table, Babcock shit his pants. I mean how the f*** do you not have Matthews out there for most of the third period? Talk about blatant coaching miscues, that's literally shameful.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Ironic that people were pissing and moaning about Cassidy getting outcoached during this series, yet in game 7 with all the chips on the table, Babcock **** his pants. I mean how the **** do you not have Matthews out there for most of the third period? Talk about blatant coaching miscues, that's literally shameful.

hard to blame him when another 1st overall pick (albeit 90 years older) is at his disposal :thumbu:

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If I'm a Toronto fan, I have to hang this series loss squarely on Babcock. Smug prick that he is thinks he's smarter than the rest of the hockey world. He's the hockey equivalent of the Chicago Cubs Joe Madden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad