TSN: Brown to EDM for 4th rounder in 2014

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I'll miss Brownie, and they'll love him in Edmonton, but it's not a huge loss.

And we got more value than I expected out of the beaut. Guess I've got a reason to hope Edmonton makes the playoffs somehow.

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
what can you get with a 4th round draft choice, a younger version of mike brown ?

Possible, though there's also the possibility of getting a player like Matt Frattin or Marcus Foligno. You just never know what you'll get with a good scouting staff and a little bit of luck. I'm not suggesting we will, but there are decent players to come out of the 4th round (and later) so it's another future asset in the cupboard.

leafspring*

I think we are now in a position where we are having prospects pushing for jobs. Kadri is a perfect example of making some vets expendable. Competition for jobs. This team was a bad team for many years, the Brown trade is just one example we are starting to weed out weak links on the team. More will be coming when Lupul comes back.

Brownie wasn't really a weak link. He stood up for everyone for years,and thats worth lots imo anyways. McLaren coming in was the writing on the wall for me. There is plenty of more changes coming. The changes will come incrementally though.

That said, we were able to gain 1 or maybe 2 rounds earlier picking with the trade.He only cost a 5th.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ya when Lupul comes back we will have to many center men. Now that's rocket science! Hilarious. Btw love that Gally with Montreal!

- You do realize Lupul and Grabo's jobs arent connected right?:laugh: Grabo is the 2nd line centre, Lupul is a 1st line winger, it doesn't effect Grabo when Lupul returns. IMO Grabo's biggest threat right now is Kadri, who in sheltered minutes is outshining him, that's the guy Grabo needs to look out for.

Or Colborne, many thought. Grabo was a more valuable C than Kadri this year. Mgt makes decisions on player personnel. They may think Joe is ready for prime time as Kadri was. Joe is older, and he can play in the NHL right now from my observations.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/maple-leafs-trade-mike-brown-to-oilers/article9256961/

With bruisers Frazer McLaren and Colton Orr also in the lineup, Brown found himself the odd man out with scoring winger Matt Frattin set to return from a seven-game absence due to a knee injury. Nonis said the Leafs will decide at game time if Frattin will play Monday night at the Air Canada Centre against the New Jersey Devils.

It’s clear Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle likes his fighters and he seems especially keen on the heavyweights, although Brown’s 70 minutes in penalties is third in the NHL this season. At 5-foot-11 and 205 pounds, Brown was the smallest of the Leafs’ trio of tough guys. It did not help as well that Brown is no stranger to injuries. He missed eight games so far this season with what the team called an upper-body injury but is healthy right now.

“It was primarily [to create] a roster spot,†Nonis said of the reason for the trade. He expects to need room for a couple players from the Leafs’ Toronto Marlies farm team and “with Mike in and out of the lineup,†it was easiest to move Brown.

“[McLaren’s] play made it easier,†Nonis said. “He is able to play in all situations and Randy feels comfortable with im.â€

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
i like komarov in the 4th line rw role
orr and mclaren could both be in there vs 'certain teams')
he's that super sub type that can play up to 15 min on the 2nd or 3rd when there's injuries
brown wasnt

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22498/goalie-ellis-feels-guilt-over-wards-injury

Oilers grab some grit

The Leafs moved rugged winger Mike Brown to the Oilers on Monday for a conditional 2014 fourth-round pick, which becomes a third-rounder if Edmonton makes the playoffs this season.

It was a tough move for GM Dave Nonis, who liked what Brown brought but, in the end, the return of Matt Frattin from injury forced a roster decision. This came down to keeping Brown or Frazer McLaren and the latter is a bigger dude who can take on the big guys in this league. Brown is game but more of a middleweight. Mind you, Brown is also a better skater.

The Oilers are in dire need of grit up front. The young Edmonton team is getting pushed around. The Oilers are dead last in the NHL with four fighting majors (Toronto leads the league with 24).

Lots of skill on this Oilers team, but very little sandpaper. Brown will bring that, but I suspect the Oilers aren’t done trying to toughen up between now and next season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...e+Leafs+forward+Mike+Brown/8046369/story.html

TORONTO - Mike Brown has become a casualty of the Toronto Maple Leafs' depth.

Toronto traded the 27-year-old Brown to Edmonton on Monday for a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2014 draft.

"It was primarily a roster spot move," said Leafs general manager Dave Nonis. "At some point in the near future we're going to need to create a roster spot. We have some players with the Marlies that we want to give a look to. We have players that are hopefully coming off IR in the near future.

"That coupled with Mike's playing time — he'd been in and out of the lineup, (head coach Randy Carlyle) used different combinations — we felt it was an opportune time to make the move for all those reasons."

The five-foot-11, 205-pound Brown played in 12 games for the Maple Leafs this season, with a single assist but ranking third in the NHL with 70 penalty minutes.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
i like komarov in the 4th line rw role
orr and mclaren could both be in there vs 'certain teams')
he's that super sub type that can play up to 15 min on the 2nd or 3rd when there's injuries
brown wasnt

Agreed.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
So happy about this lol

Brown brings absolutely nothing to the table. He takes stupid penalties, isn't a sherif on the ice... he really serves no purpose with players like Orr and MacLaren on the team, yet he managed to find himself in the lineup far too often.

I totally agree. Some of the stuff he does makes me feel embarassed as a fan of the team. Really sleazy, cheap shot type of guy.

I found it funny when Burkie announced that he was proud to re sign Brown. Typical smoke and mirrors speech about what Brown brings to the table. I found Brown to be a horrible PK guy...except for the few blocked shots he took - which ironically side-lined him for months.

Good to see him off the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brownie wasn't really a weak link. He stood up for everyone for years,and thats worth lots imo anyways. McLaren coming in was the writing on the wall for me. There is plenty of more changes coming. The changes will come incrementally though.

That said, we were able to gain 1 or maybe 2 rounds earlier picking with the trade.He only cost a 5th.

Mclaren was better, whether it was his chemistry with Orr, or his toughess, it made Brown expendable.

Maybe weak link, but we had a better link to plug in. This is happening now with our organization. Frattin and Kadri have effectively become our secondary scoring over Grabo and Kule. The shutdown role stuff is window dressing for excuses. Grabo, Kule, and Mac were basically the shutdown role line under Wilson, nothing has changed except we have better depth at the fwd position now in Kadri's line.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
I'll miss Brown because I appreciate guys with his hustle, and heart.

That said, there just wasn't room for him anymore. Good luck in Edmonton Mike!

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Goes from my primary team to my secondary team. Brings the much needed speed, grit, determination, and moustache size to the Oilers. Sad to see him leave the Leafs but happy he's on the Oilers!!!

leafspring*

what can you get with a 4th round draft choice, a younger version of mike brown ?

You can get a Kieth yandle,James Reimer,Holzer,Tyler Kennedy,Ryan Callahan,Matt Frattin,Marcus Foligno,Philippe Dupuis,Kyle Quincy etc. Lots of NHL'ers out of the fourth round actually. The above listed are a sample.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
My view on this trade:
Saheb S. ‏@LeafRocket
Mike brown, aka #Brownbeaut has been traded to the oilers for a 2014 fourth round pick. #leafs #TMLTalk #NHL #Oilers. He's unfortunately the man that had to go due the emergence of Frazer and still coming up Leo super pest. A true competitor who will give a 110% every night on every single shift. A fearless fight that'll dance with a Goliath if need be. His only flaw was he was getting injured in the worst way possible. Hopefully he'll be much more conditioned in the oilers team.
He'll be missed in the leafs for his competitiveness, awesome handlebars and energy #Leafs #TMLTalk

Seriously gonna miss this guy. Hope for the oilers to make the playoffs so we can get the third rounder instead.

This is the Mike Brown trade defined. Perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad