Speculation: Brooks: Tampa after Shattenkirk

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Serge played the right side exclusively all the way through game 7 of the ECF's last year and was one of our better Dman in the playoffs surprisingly. I think we will be fine if we decide to run with him again this year.

Is it really that surprising when he averaged just 12 minutes a night?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers certainly arent going to trade Shatty at 50% and only return a worthless cap-dump.

I must have been unclear somewhere, never meant Cally for Shatty at 50%. I spit balled Cally + asset for Shatty @[retention].

NYR would never take Cally alone for anything less than a significant asset. I certainly believe that NYR also would request a significant asset to move Shattenkirk with money retained.

WilsonNY14

Jun 18, 2018
Will also be annoyed if he comes to Tampa.

The Rangers would do it to help the Bolts win the cup. Because then they get this year's first round pick as well.

Common sense, really...

The Rangers would probably want us to win the cup just as much as we want to. Especially when they can say, "YEAH! HALF OUR TEAM HELPED YOU GET IT!"
Common sense would tell you that they would want to alter last year's trade and make the conditional pick a true 1st rounder. Imo less risk there as there are 15 other teams playing for the same cup and will beef up their teams at the deadline. Not a guarantee TBL will win.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Common sense would tell you that they would want to alter last year's trade and make the conditional pick a true 1st rounder. Imo less risk there as there are 15 other teams playing for the same cup and will beef up their teams at the deadline. Not a guarantee TBL will win.

That condition doesn't have much value. With the level playing field this league has, I doubt any team ever has more than a 25% shot at a cup, meaning that the pick goes from like 62 to 31. I wonder if its even 25% for any team. The value of 31st overall vs 62nd isn't at all comparable to like going from 45 to 15 looking at historical data.

When the deal was made, the condition was worth a little more however. If Tampa won the Cup last season NYR would be guaranteed their 1st this year. Sometimes the Cup winner struggles a little bit the following year. LA missed the POs once. Chicago lost in the 1st round following a Cup win a couple of times IIRC. And so forth. The pick could have been like 22-23 instead of 31/61. But...

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I am not getting into it, but at hfboards you don't have to take into account that the strategists on the other side in a PO series will get a hard on if you have a LHS playing RD in the post season (unless that D is really capable and gets a lot of support in certain areas).

Not saying that Tampa can't pull it off and win a Cup with Serge as a RD. But is it optimal? Nope.

Serg has his defensive issues (as a lot of young offensive defensemen do) but he’s not playing out of position on the right. That’s his side.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I must have been unclear somewhere, never meant Cally for Shatty at 50%. I spit balled Cally + asset for Shatty @[retention].

NYR would never take Cally alone for anything less than a significant asset. I certainly believe that NYR also would request a significant asset to move Shattenkirk with money retained.

And we aren’t paying a significant asset either to move Callahan or to take Shattenkirk.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Only way it does happen is if TB sends a prospect like Foote along with someone like Katchouk or Raddysh on top of 2020 1st rounder. Yeah not happening.
not going to happen as yzerman stated he was not trading foote last year. If yzerman did not want to move foote for MCD last year then no way they move him for shatty this year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only way it does happen is if TB sends a prospect like Foote along with someone like Katchouk or Raddysh on top of 2020 1st rounder. Yeah not happening.

You underrate Callahan, he is just overpaid, not useless or a liability on the ice like some people claim. That is way too much for Tampa to include, who is still an effective bottom 6 player and would upgrade most teams bottom 6, including the Rangers.

If the Rangers take Callahan back, full salary, should be more like a 3rd and a B prospect, and the Rangers send back like a 5th round or 6th.

Reactions: J T Money

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Shat play has improved lately
almost all his negative is due to injury he appears finally over

also, I could see if nec, being team friendly as he obv was to sign here for less $ and term in the first place, I cold see if there is an injury issue, he retires his last year and takes FO gig

--------
if we did something around Names + for expiring Talbot + and flipped Talbot to TB for Cally AND A SERIOUS ADD for our trouble, that is something I could see

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
You underrate Callahan, he is just overpaid, not useless or a liability on the ice like some people claim. That is way too much for Tampa to include, who is still an effective bottom 6 player and would upgrade most teams bottom 6, including the Rangers.

If the Rangers take Callahan back, full salary, should be more like a 3rd and a B prospect, and the Rangers send back like a 5th round or 6th.

Bruh... pass whatever it is you have over.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Callahan has a very bad contract but in comparison to Shattenkirk he has a great one. Shattenkirk has been terrible since he got to the Rangers and is paid 6.65 for two more seasons after this one. No one wants that contract, New York would be the ones adding on a Callahan for Shattenkirk deal due to that extra year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad