Speculation: Brooks: Tampa after Shattenkirk

WilsonNY14

Jun 18, 2018
... is it just me, or are the trades suggested here not making sense? Why would NYR give up Shatty while 1) retaining salary and 2) taking on Callahan's and Coburn's contract without anything in it for them? Honestly, if I'm NY and this is happening, I would make the conditional 1st and bonafide 1st and add in a top prospect, at the very least. Depending on the deal and how many contracts NYR take on, I'd shoot for another lower prospect or pick. Otherwise, NYR is just doing TBL a solid for a few years.

Reactions: slg1963 and Ola

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How has shatty been in NY?
He was great before his big injury (he was actually playing injured before he “officially” went out with an injury because he said he didn’t want to disappoint)
Pretty bad since though he’s looked better the past month. I do believe he’s not 100% recovered though or that injury may have hampered him for good

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I mean I'd do this easy as long as that asset is anyone or anything not named Foote. Tampa needs another body on the blue line going forward and Shatty at 3.3 is pretty solid.

This season gives Hedman-Stralman/McDonagh-Cernak and Shattenkirk-Sergachev.

Next season would be something like Hedman-Cernak/McDonagh-Sergachev/Shattenkirk-Foote or Masin.

Coburn
Cally
Point

for

Shatty@ 50% for three years (3.3m per)

That's a super generous offer, Rangers would like the paper to sign please

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Coburn
Cally
Point

for

Shatty@ 50% for three years (3.3m per)

That's a super generous offer, Rangers would like the paper to sign please

:laugh:

You’re obviously joking but I remember a lot of Rangers fans demanding Point for McDonagh and being shocked when we refused.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
You know how when people always go "how can this team acquire someone, they have no cap next year!"? Why do people say that? Can the team not trade the valuable asset away in the summer..?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You know how when people always go "how can this team acquire someone, they have no cap next year!"? Why do people say that? Can the team not trade the valuable asset away in the summer..?

That makes even less sense in the context of this thread. We’re already loaded at RD, already have Serg in what would be Shatty’s role as mentioned earlier, and Shattenkirk has a NMC/NTC that would hamper our ability to trade him. And if we’re going to make a big trade for a rental I’m looking at something around Miller or Gourde for Panarin which would actually be a substantial upgrade for this playoff run while freeing cap space for next season - not a move that provides little to no upgrade now and worsens our cap situation going forward.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
To be fair, can you really blame us?

To some extent I can. I wouldn’t expect you to be as familiar with our roster as you are with your own, but Lightning fans knew how good this kid was long before the rest of the league caught up. So in the space of a year we’ve gone from taking crap for refusing to trade him and for telling people he was better than Stamkos to being told there’s no way we can afford his next deal. It’s a bit annoying.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Absolute zero chance. Love Larry but poor speculation on his part. How can they afford shattenkirk and they need more offense? No, they need D and that ain’t shatty.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If they're in on Shatty I'm surprised they aren't in on Barrie instead. Granted Shatty would be cheaper in assets.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Tampa, please leave some good players for the rest of the teams.

Haha you know the crazy thing is we could theoretically afford to sign Panarin in the summer too. It would mean trading Miller (along with Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi walking) to afford Point and the rest of our RFAs and then trading both Gourde and McDonagh before their new contracts kick in to afford Panarin, which would leave us with a blueline consisting of Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, and a bunch of near-minimum salary D-men behind them, so in terms of having a balanced lineup it’s a horrible idea. But just imagine us having Point and Kucherov on one line and Stamkos and Panarin on another!

It’s obviously not going to happen, nor should it, but it’s at least theoretically possible and fun to think about.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Will be annoyed if he goes to Tampa or Edmonton.
Will also be annoyed if he comes to Tampa.

... is it just me, or are the trades suggested here not making sense? Why would NYR give up Shatty while 1) retaining salary and 2) taking on Callahan's and Coburn's contract without anything in it for them? Honestly, if I'm NY and this is happening, I would make the conditional 1st and bonafide 1st and add in a top prospect, at the very least. Depending on the deal and how many contracts NYR take on, I'd shoot for another lower prospect or pick. Otherwise, NYR is just doing TBL a solid for a few years.
The Rangers would do it to help the Bolts win the cup. Because then they get this year's first round pick as well.

Common sense, really...

The Rangers would probably want us to win the cup just as much as we want to. Especially when they can say, "YEAH! HALF OUR TEAM HELPED YOU GET IT!"

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe they were looking at McQuaid? He's right-handed.

We already have Stralman, Cernak, Sergachev, and Girardi on the right. The only guy McQuaid could conceivably replace would be Girardi, and I don’t see us spending a whole lot to upgrade our 7D. Then there’s the fact that Girardi has a full NTC and we can’t even send him back the other way to balance the cap hits. Just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for us unless we’re scouting McQuaid to sign this summer.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean I'd do this easy as long as that asset is anyone or anything not named Foote. Tampa needs another body on the blue line going forward and Shatty at 3.3 is pretty solid.

This season gives Hedman-Stralman/McDonagh-Cernak and Shattenkirk-Sergachev.

Next season would be something like Hedman-Cernak/McDonagh-Sergachev/Shattenkirk-Foote or Masin.

This is probably the sticking point... ;)

Seriously though, in the end I think its hard to find something that will make sense between NYR and Tampa involving Shattenkirk. So many teams are looking for a RD and if any of them aren't in the same cap squeeze as Tampa is in its probably more easy to just take him on and give up an iffy asset. If NYR heavily retains on Shatty and even takes a contract back in Cally the pricing gets so hard to establish. The price to take on a contract is usually pretty high in itself. To retain the amount NYR would for 2.5 years on Shatty is also not unsubstantial. Than you have the price for Shatty the player. So its really three elements: Cally's contarct, Shatty's retention and the value of Shatty the player at 3m per.

In principle Tampa's picks is a round lower than their label. A 2nd round pick will be post 60, its basically a high 3rd rounder. There were 24 teams in this league when I started following it closely, 60 is mid 3rd round... ;) The first very likely bottom 5 and its probably probable that its no higher than 29.

I would say that the value of each of the above three assets should be at least a mid 2nd rounder. Tampa's 1st and 2nd however should only be valued as two 2nd rounders. How can Tampa meet that demand? They would probably have to drop the conditions on the 1st this season and add their 1st next season. Think that is very unlikely.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am not getting into it, but at hfboards you don't have to take into account that the strategists on the other side in a PO series will get a hard on if you have a LHS playing RD in the post season (unless that D is really capable and gets a lot of support in certain areas).

Not saying that Tampa can't pull it off and win a Cup with Serge as a RD. But is it optimal? Nope.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
I am not getting into it, but at hfboards you don't have to take into account that the strategists on the other side in a PO series will get a hard on if you have a LHS playing RD in the post season (unless that D is really capable and gets a lot of support in certain areas).

Not saying that Tampa can't pull it off and win a Cup with Serge as a RD. But is it optimal? Nope.

Serge played the right side exclusively all the way through game 7 of the ECF's last year and was one of our better Dman in the playoffs surprisingly. I think we will be fine if we decide to run with him again this year.

Reactions: Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad