Speculation: Brooks: Tampa after Shattenkirk

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Unless they're taking Callahan and retaining on Shatty, this would be about one of the dumbest moves they could make.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm not sure why they would be interested in him being their 3rd pairing D-man. They can score and QB the PP just fine.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How has shatty been in NY?
Not good. Hurt. Playing better D. Not Good. Playing better last 8 games or so. His role wasn't what it should have been, though, as our coach pretty much gave it to Pionk through-out the first half.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Of course, but cap space is an asset too.

Like in this scenario:
Tampa gives up:
Coburn
Cally
ASSET

for

Shatty@ 50% for three years (3.3m per)

That is of course a heck of a 'sacrifice' on behalf the NYR and that asset would have to be good, they are taking on a really significant amount of dough for the coming seasons. But just as an example.

Coburn’s contract expires at the end of this season so he’s irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion.

Callahan’s contract expires after one more season while Shattenkirk has another two years (not three) left on his deal. So even with Callahan going out and retention on Shatty it won’t negate the negative cap impact in the year where we’ll be looking to extend Vasy, Cernak, Sergachev, Cirelli, and Joseph. If he’s willing to agree to the permanent revocation of his NMC and NTC then we could easily flip him when we need the cap space, but then we’d be paying a high price just to acquire him for one season.

Finally, why do we even need Shattenkirk in the first place? We have no difficulty scoring and already have Sergachev in the role of the offensive RD who struggles in his own zone. What we need is a defensively reliable 5D to lead our bottom pairing next season alongside (most likely) Foote, and we can acquire that at a much cheaper cost than Shattenkirk would require.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We have a need at Rhd but not Shattenkirk. I bet we are looking for something else from them.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... What we need is a defensively reliable 5D to lead our bottom pairing next season alongside (most likely) Foote, and we can acquire that at a much cheaper cost than Shattenkirk would require.

ah, i see, Marc Staal w retention
Lipanov or Katchouk, Somppe or Koepke, take the condition off the pending pick, and send back some salary

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I haven't seen anything about Tampa being in on Seabrook. Where did you get this from?

whWBXVf.jpg

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Shattenkirk. One of the most overrated players I have ever seen. I think people must think he is a "big, tough defenceman" based on his name. Sounds like a very tough name.

As a fan of a team who will possibly face Tampa at some point, I say go for it! Yeah go for it!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How has shatty been in NY?

The thing is, I think he is the same player he has been his entire career.

Some have looked at his stats and thought that he was a franchise D. That is what stats give you. He have never been that good, that type of D. He is very good from the blueline and in. Good RHS. Sees the ice well. He is smart. Fairly agile on the offensive blueline. Defensively many don’t see that he has been coached for half a decade or whatever by Hitchcock. And always liked by Hitch. There is a reason for that, Shatty doesn’t at all have the type of holes defensively as some envision. He is pretty comfortable defensively.

The — big — reason for why I am not his biggest fan is Shatty’s play in the transition game. Here it’s also very obvious that he has been coached by Hitch for what half a decade. Sure you will see him sling away a home run pass every now and then, low risk high reward play, if it doesn’t connect the puck is iced or worst case broken up high up ice. But he doesn’t have the speed — at all — that the modern guys have coming out of their own end, that dynamic interaction between the defenders and forwards that erases the borders between them. He doesn’t have that super poised passing game. He doesn’t at all have the moves to beat the first forechecker that is so valuable since it really blows up every trapping scheme. His transition game can only be labeled as truly Hitchcook-esque if you get what I mean. Low risk plays. Gamble in the attacking zone, sure, but just make sure to get out of your own end.

I said the exact same thing before we got him. He has been rumored to come to NY forever. I’ve always kept track of him when I’ve seen STL. I see so many in NY go ‘he hurt his knee and lost his game’, ‘he is a shell of his former self’ etc etc etc. His knee injury wasn’t even bad. His skating is the same as it has been the last 5 years. Aren’t his highlights available at nhl.com? Check the goals he scored three years ago, you will get glimpses of how he skates. Did he move differently back than? Definitely not.

Ask him to contribute from the blueline and in on a 2nd/3rd pairing and you will get production from him. He won’t be a big negative factor defensively at all, not perfect of course, but pretty ok. In the transition game he will help getting the puck up ice and push CF, but you will not at all get that element high octane offensive productive offensive game that you can get from a true top modern offensive D who will beat his forechecker 3/4 times and completly open things up.

I definitely think he should have value, so many teams are looking for RDs and you could do a lot worse. Can he get back to being a top D in the NHL and a No 1 D for his team? There is only one answer — he has never been that guy. Not even remotely... If you think that you have been scouting at hockey.corsica. You should never do that.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Of course, but cap space is an asset too.

Like in this scenario:
Tampa gives up:
Coburn
Cally
ASSET

for

Shatty@ 50% for three years (3.3m per)

That is of course a heck of a 'sacrifice' on behalf the NYR and that asset would have to be good, they are taking on a really significant amount of dough for the coming seasons. But just as an example.
I mean I'd do this easy as long as that asset is anyone or anything not named Foote. Tampa needs another body on the blue line going forward and Shatty at 3.3 is pretty solid.

This season gives Hedman-Stralman/McDonagh-Cernak and Shattenkirk-Sergachev.

Next season would be something like Hedman-Cernak/McDonagh-Sergachev/Shattenkirk-Foote or Masin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad