Speculation: Brooks: Tampa after Shattenkirk

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Your level of arrogance and condescension is amazing for someone who clearly knows so little.

Again, it’s not the “wrong” side for a lot of players, especially Russian wingers who often prefer to play on that side as it gives them different options offensively. It certainly doesn’t seem to be holding Kucherov back as he continues to be the leading scorer in the entire NHL. And again, while Sergachev may not be a winger he is an offensive defenseman and playing on the opposite side gives him the same advantages.

Maybe you should try learning a thing or two before pretending that you know better than everyone else.

Actually, I would like to copy and paste that first sentence back at you. ;)

How can you compare a forward playing on either side with a D being used on the wrong side? How many of the top 30 Ds in the NHL each of the last 5 years have played on the wrong side, or "off" side as you want to call it? 1-2 per year? Why is that? It sucks to have a D on the off side in so many areas. That D has to make huge adjustments all the time. So often that D needs to turn his back to the ice and play the puck with his back-hand. There are advantages of course, but they don't make up for the disadvantages.

Look, I don't fault you. I hear these type of claims all the time. But if you are interested, keep track of a situation. The result is like 49/50 times the exact same thing, it don't hold up long term. The player on the wrong side starts to struggle and so forth.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
First you’re dead wrong in your philosophy - as has been pointed out numerous times on this forum a team’s best chance of success is to remain a top contender for as long as possible, NOT to shorten their window to slightly improve their chances in any given year.

And second even if we were to make a move to improve our chances this year Shattenkirk doesn’t remotely move the needle in that regard.

This is true. I would rather be in the mix for several years than take one big stab at it. Also goes in line with how SY has done things in the past too. Last year was the first year we made a "big" trade to try to go for it. It didnt really hurt us long term though as we have several prospects to take over the guys we gave up.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
We already have Stralman, Cernak, Sergachev, and Girardi on the right. The only guy McQuaid could conceivably replace would be Girardi, and I don’t see us spending a whole lot to upgrade our 7D. Then there’s the fact that Girardi has a full NTC and we can’t even send him back the other way to balance the cap hits. Just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for us unless we’re scouting McQuaid to sign this summer.

Then I dont know why Brooks said Tampa looking for a rhd.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Then I dont know why Brooks said Tampa looking for a rhd.

I think organizationally we have a need at RHD but we dont need one right now. Mostly that need amps up when we have Stralman and Girardi to UFA after this season. Which is why I said earlier Shattenkirk could be revisited in the offseason.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Kreider and Zucc for whatever cap you can make work, 1st for 2019 becomes a guarantee, and if you win the cup we get next years 1st. But after the season you have to trade us back Kreider for a 7th, deal?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Haha i laughed at this proposal and Tampa fans are trying to justify it ..lol

What Tampa fans are trying to justify it? There may be some people whose posts I’ve elected not to see but out of the posts I’ve seen Lightning fans are universally rejecting the idea of trading for Shattenkirk now and only one guy is talking about even considering Shatty in the offseason. Shattenkirk is a worse cap dump than Callahan and has no place on our roster; throw in the fact that we don’t have the cap space for him in the first place with all the RFAs we need to sign over the next couple of seasons and there’s absolutely no reason for us to want anything to do with him.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Lemme guess, Tampa is offering Callahan for Shatty (@50%) like the other thread? :laugh:
I mean it wasn't a Tampa fan that made the offer in this thread, so, keep on keeping on I guess.

Non Tampa fan: How about this deal

HF: LUL TAMPA FANS ARE SO DELUSIONAL THAT'S A TERRIBLE OFFER WHY DO TAMPA FANS THINK THEY CAN TAKE EVERYONE'S PLAYERS FOR NOTHING

Tampa fans: That wasn't one of our fans

HF: LUL STUPID TAMPA FANS111!!!1!!!1!!

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Damn, I'm sure he would cost a mint, but Kreider is the kind of player TBL could pick up that would make everyone else start to sweat. He's got wheels, he's got a mean streak. He can score ugly or do it with finesse. And his streakiness would be a bit nullified since he would be on a team where there are so many other big guns to pick up the slack.

NYR would be mad to let him go, though.
Yeah I think he'd be a great fit, but not sure the cost would make sense for TB. He's probably one of the few guys it makes sense for NYR to hang onto. I'd love him, though. He'd add a lot to this team in the top 6.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
What Tampa fans are trying to justify it? There may be some people whose posts I’ve elected not to see but out of the posts I’ve seen Lightning fans are universally rejecting the idea of trading for Shattenkirk now and only one guy is talking about even considering Shatty in the offseason. Shattenkirk is a worse cap dump than Callahan and has no place on our roster; throw in the fact that we don’t have the cap space for him in the first place with all the RFAs we need to sign over the next couple of seasons and there’s absolutely no reason for us to want anything to do with him.

Shattenkirk is not a worse cap dump than Callahan. Shattenkirk could easily regain form playing for a team that isn’t a dumpster fire and put up points.

Callahan is a broken and massively overpaid 4th liner whose best days are clearly behind him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I mean it wasn't a Tampa fan that made the offer in this thread, so, keep on keeping on I guess.

Non Tampa fan: How about this deal

HF: LUL TAMPA FANS ARE SO DELUSIONAL THAT'S A TERRIBLE OFFER WHY DO TAMPA FANS THINK THEY CAN TAKE EVERYONE'S PLAYERS FOR NOTHING

Tampa fans: That wasn't one of our fans

HF: LUL STUPID TAMPA FANS111!!!1!!!1!!
To be fair, I posted this one on the new one that popped up as a joke and then it got merged back into this one and people are taking it seriously again.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Shattenkirk is not a worse cap dump than Callahan. Shattenkirk could easily regain form playing for a team that isn’t a dumpster fire and put up points.

Callahan is a broken and massively overpaid 4th liner whose best days are clearly behind him.
Who's contract is shorter. That is the big point here which people are avoiding mostly because you know it makes logical sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nice try Bern but nobody falls for your nonsense. Gotta make more of an effort.
your op as to 'nonsense'.
My offer was the acquired expiring Talbot for Cally w/mo $ + the extra year, presuming you offer enough to make that worthwhile.

Not nonsense.
And if you'd rather buy out Cally, by all means pls do, I'd rather recover Talbot's cap hit.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so the rangers retain 50% of shatty, to take on the 5.8 mil of a guy that wont hit 30pts for the 4th straight year?

I think the rangers would need a lot more incentive to bail the lightning out

Shattenkirk @ 50% for Callahan, Taylor Raddysh

rangers get a good prospect, tampa gets a Dman at a reduced price and 3 mil cap space

Reactions: slg1963

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Pretty sure the Lightning have ZERO interest

they have zero interest in rolling out

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Sergachev
*Girardi

AND gaining 3 mil in cap space?

I call BS. they would do that all day. Callahan is a 6 mil fringe 3rd liner

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Sergachev
*Girardi

But Callahan is also a possible BO target with only one season beyond this one and save the $3M without having to spend a "significant asset".

I'd rather Tampa aim for bigger fish and spend those assets than aim low for Shattenkirk and still give up those same assets under the illusion that Tampa is somehow strapped with Callahan.

Does it work better for TB if he's gone completely? Sure. But they save $3M next season with a BO and it only costs them $1.5 the following season. Assuming the cap continues to rise, the 1.5 won't mean anything in the long run.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Shattenkirk @ 50%, but I would be opposed to spending crazy assets to do it.

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
If Tampa are looking for a RH Dman Shatts is not the answer , IMO McQuaid would be a better option , cheap and tough as nails . You guys can have him for a 3rd .

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Sergachev
*Girardi

So we’re going to bench Cernak now and install the defensively challenged Shattenkirk on our shutdown pairing? Brilliant idea!:eyeroll:

Reactions: mjtm777

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Coburn-Sergachev
*Girardi

Not to mention we’re LOSING cap space in the year where we have to sign Vasy, Cernak, Sergachev, Cirelli, and Joseph. Zero interest whatsoever in doing that, much less for Shattenkirk.

Reactions: mjtm777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad