Speculation: Brooks: Tampa after Shattenkirk

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
https://nypost.com/2019/02/13/mats-zuccarello-should-be-the-exception-to-rangers-fire-sale/
4. Isn’t there some sort of cap contained in the CBA limiting the number of Rangers on the Lightning? Apparently not, given Tampa Bay’s substantial scouting presence at the Garden last week. The league’s best team is on the hunt for a righty defenseman. Kevin Shattenkirk, for whom the Lightning had completed a conditional deal prior to the 2017 deadline before the defenseman rejected it, shoots right. Just saying.

Thoughts?

There have also been some talk about Rangers taking Callahan off Tampa's hands as a cap dump. Shatty at 50% for Cally might be attractive for Tampa...

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I know that the cap doesn't seem to apply to Tampa Bay (tongue-in-cheek, no need to reply) but I don't see any circumstance where the Lightning can add multiple years at over $6million to their current roster. They seem to be in a position that will require them to move out salary in the off-season already. Not sure adding Shattenkirk makes any sense.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I know that the cap doesn't seem to apply to Tampa Bay (tongue-in-cheek, no need to reply) but I don't see any circumstance where the Lightning can add multiple years at over $6million to their current roster. They seem to be in a position that will require them to move out salary in the off-season already. Not sure adding Shattenkirk makes any sense.

Obviously NYR would need to retain, but I don't think that is out of the question if the return is good.

Sergachev+ (joke joke joke) ;)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We were interested in him before he chose NY. I wouldnt be surprised but I dont know what we would be giving.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Why do people keep linking us to defensemen we looked at once years ago? First Ceci and now Shatty.

This is absolutely correct.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If NYR retain like 30-ish% and take Cally back, it could work. We have Coburn and Girardi off the books and I still hold hope Stralman signs for cheap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why do people keep linking us to defensemen we looked at once years ago? First Ceci and now Shatty.

This is absolutely correct.

Of course, but cap space is an asset too.

Like in this scenario:
Tampa gives up:
Coburn
Cally
ASSET

for

Shatty@ 50% for three years (3.3m per)

That is of course a heck of a 'sacrifice' on behalf the NYR and that asset would have to be good, they are taking on a really significant amount of dough for the coming seasons. But just as an example.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How much is Yzerman involved in the management of Tampa? If he still has some pull I definitely don't want to see Gorts deal with them again...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How much is Yzerman involved in the management of Tampa? If he still has some pull I definitely don't want to see Gorts deal with them again...

His current title is "Senior Advisor to the General Manager" So I would say quite a bit.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We take Callahan and just make the conditional 1st a solid 1st, and I don't care if you win the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad