Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Looks like they have some kind of premium seating in the first few rows along either side of the rink. Does any other arena have that?
Well Barclays Center has “the best seats in hockey” so I don’t know what they’re going to do to compete with that

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Anyone notice the seats just off center ice seem really spread out? Like they almost look like they're for the press.

I actually hope this isn't the case. To create a better atmosphere you want people closer to the glass with no "holes." That's perhaps the #1 thing that sucks at Barclays - No energy from one entire side of the arena because no one is there.

I hope these gaps we see below aren't the case and it's seamless fans 360 around the ice.

Belmont-Park-Arena-Seating-Chart-Islanders.jpg

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Anyone notice the seats just off center ice seem really spread out? Like they almost look like they're for the press.

I actually hope this isn't the case. To create a better atmosphere you want people closer to the glass with no "holes." That's perhaps the #1 thing that sucks at Barclays - No energy from one entire side of the arena because no one is there.

I hope these gaps we see below aren't the case and it's seamless fans 360 around the ice.

It does look like a Yankee Stadium moat.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

Premium seating. Get used to it. This is not going to be Nassau Coliseum 2.0. My guess is that many of the same complaints about Barclays will be present at Belmont.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
One thing that would be cool is a standing room area. Isn't that something they have in arenas like Minnesota?
Yeah though I'm too old for that now. lol. I do like the bar rail seats though. It's in the Club level and it's basically a bar stool behind the last row of seats with a bar counter. You're essentially sitting on the concourse. Super easy in/out plus a bar for your food and drinks and great sightline. Would suck for a concert but great for a game.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

It's some kind of club box/premium seating. Notice the wall separating them from the rest of the rabble. And see the ice level exits (to their private luxury lair). The riffraff sitting behind them and paying only $150 have to stand in line to get their beer and dog.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's some kind of club box/premium seating. Notice the wall separating them from the rest of the rabble. And see the ice level exits (to their private luxury lair). The riffraff sitting behind them and paying only $150 have to stand in line to get their beer and dog.
I'll be pre and postgaming at one of the other fine establishments outside the arena on the Belmont grounds.:nod:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
guessing they are waiting to see how the attendance and the revenue is at Nassau to see if it is worth it

and when are they going to start the construction on this building, I am afraid Isles are going to be in first place and they are going to have the typical 10,000 attendance at Nassau and Ledecky is going to say the deal is off because obviously the fans are not supporting them on Long Island or Brooklyn, he needs to build this 1 Billion dollar arena and than regret it in a few years after it is built
The arena is a loss leader, the retail part is going to make him a fortune.

Reactions: periferal

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This thing isn't going to be like the Danbury Mall or something, it's going to be like that super high end mall in England Malkin owns that is literally a tourist destination people fly in from all over the world to shop at.
Yeah I heard all that. I'm still skeptical. People are going to fly from Europe and Asia into NYC and then take the LIRR or an uber to freaking Long Island to go shopping? I guess some may but I think it is a real stretch. Bicester is very unique and I'm not sure that can be replicated in Belmont. I think people trivialize the importance of the Islanders in this project. They will be the anchor tenant in a $1B arena. If they are drawing 6k a night it will have a very negative impact on developing the surrounding area (bars, restaurants and hotels).

The future of the Islanders remaining in NY is riding on:

1. Retail (gulp)
2. Islanders anchoring their own building (gulp)
3. The arena being able to draw shows/concerts competing with 5 other arenas (gulp)

Maybe investing in all 3 will keep this thing afloat. Obviously Malkin and his group are highly qualified and are not going into this uninformed. I'm just skeptical, that's all. I'm an Islander fan after all!

Reactions: Bood12

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
About the Islanders being the anchor... I think they really are banking on the arena alliance bringing in the acts. The owners have seen the attendance numbers at both Barclays and Nassau. I have a hard time thinking someone would be crazy enough to spend so much money on a development while banking on high attendance from Islanders fans. The money simply wouldn't be there. It has to be a combination of whatever they have in mind for "retail," plus some measure of corporate support, plus the other acts the alliance would theoretically bring in.

Reactions: periferal and MJF

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
About the Islanders being the anchor... I think they really are banking on the arena alliance bringing in the acts. The owners have seen the attendance numbers at both Barclays and Nassau. I have a hard time thinking someone would be crazy enough to spend so much money on a development while banking on high attendance from Islanders fans. The money simply wouldn't be there. It has to be a combination of whatever they have in mind for "retail," plus some measure of corporate support, plus the other acts the alliance would theoretically bring in.
Or they’re banking on actually building a winner. Or a combination of both.

Reactions: MJF

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yeah though I'm too old for that now. lol. I do like the bar rail seats though. It's in the Club level and it's basically a bar stool behind the last row of seats with a bar counter. You're essentially sitting on the concourse. Super easy in/out plus a bar for your food and drinks and great sightline. Would suck for a concert but great for a game.

These are my favorite seats at the Garden. I go to a St. John's game every year with about 40-50 people and always snag the bar stool seats.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I really think they'd be wise to follow the football owner who reduced the price of food at the stadium to like $3 maximum. The willingness for families, and people in general, to go to a game would be so much higher. As a fringe sport to begin with, getting people in the door is half the battle. Reduce the amount of obstacles to welcome new fans and build a winning (competitive) team, then the rest will take care of itself.

Reactions: periferal

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!

Sorry to say it looks like they are.

On the team bench side, they go to some suites & the "event club." Even club has glass walls to watch players walk in/out of locker room like MSG. Other side they just go to suites.
upload_2018-11-8_14-22-56.png

It sucks to have the moat, but thats modern sports I guess...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah I heard all that. I'm still skeptical. People are going to fly from Europe and Asia into NYC and then take the LIRR or an uber to freaking Long Island to go shopping? I guess some may but I think it is a real stretch. Bicester is very unique and I'm not sure that can be replicated in Belmont. I think people trivialize the importance of the Islanders in this project. They will be the anchor tenant in a $1B arena. If they are drawing 6k a night it will have a very negative impact on developing the surrounding area (bars, restaurants and hotels).

The future of the Islanders remaining in NY is riding on:

1. Retail (gulp)
2. Islanders anchoring their own building (gulp)
3. The arena being able to draw shows/concerts competing with 5 other arenas (gulp)

Maybe investing in all 3 will keep this thing afloat. Obviously Malkin and his group are highly qualified and are not going into this uninformed. I'm just skeptical, that's all. I'm an Islander fan after all!
The future is also riding on September-June thoroughbred racing at Belmont Park instead of the current 2 separate meets of 3 months and 2 months creating crossover customers between all the venues. The track isn’t going anywhere and will be picking up Aqueduct’s fall through spring racing dates after Belmont is renovated. Should help a lot.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The future is also riding on September-June thoroughbred racing at Belmont Park instead of the current 2 separate meets of 3 months and 2 months creating crossover customers between all the venues. The track isn’t going anywhere and will be picking up Aqueduct’s fall through spring racing dates after Belmont is renovated. Should help a lot.

I'm completely ignorant to racing, are there that many people still into it? Is it dying off?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm completely ignorant to racing, are there that many people still into it? Is it dying off?
On track attendance at Belmont has dipped over the years, especially weekdays. Aqueduct (which is a dump compared to Belmont) does ok with on track. Free admission at Aqueduct and most people stay inside rather than sit in the grandstand or hang out at the rail. NYRA’s plan is after they renovate Belmont’s grandstand, build a climate controlled clubhouse and winterize the track, is to dump out of Aqueduct and move those dates to Belmont, essentially having racing there from September to July.

Racing as a whole is dying but betting the NYRA tracks on phone apps is very strong, and over the years NYRA has built additional barns at Belmont.

NYRA is not getting out of the horse racing business anytime soon. They’re trying to bolster it and create a sports and entertainment destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad