Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah I heard all that. I'm still skeptical. People are going to fly from Europe and Asia into NYC and then take the LIRR or an uber to freaking Long Island to go shopping? I guess some may but I think it is a real stretch. Bicester is very unique and I'm not sure that can be replicated in Belmont. I think people trivialize the importance of the Islanders in this project. They will be the anchor tenant in a $1B arena. If they are drawing 6k a night it will have a very negative impact on developing the surrounding area (bars, restaurants and hotels).

The future of the Islanders remaining in NY is riding on:

1. Retail (gulp)
2. Islanders anchoring their own building (gulp)
3. The arena being able to draw shows/concerts competing with 5 other arenas (gulp)

Maybe investing in all 3 will keep this thing afloat. Obviously Malkin and his group are highly qualified and are not going into this uninformed. I'm just skeptical, that's all. I'm an Islander fan after all!

I’m 30/35 minutes away from Woodbury Commons. What you described above, is EXACTLY what happens there. Busses (some chartered) come up from NYC loaded with tourists and empty suitcases to buy up a ridiculous amount.

The past few years there have been major renovations to stores, parking and amenities. Including touch screen signage (Hate those by the way, whatever happened to orange arrow with “you are here?”). Information is broadcasted in Mandrin, Spanish and many other Languages. You have a rediculous amount of different Language speakers. Really does have the feel of an international event.

The Malkin Villages by my understanding, are “higher end” Woodbury Commons. You’re going to have people shop, maybe attend some horse races then head back to the City or Hamptons. This can happen even during the NHL off-season.

Reactions: sabremike

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I’m 30/35 minutes away from Woodbury Commons. What you described above, is EXACTLY what happens there. Busses (some chartered) come up from NYC loaded with tourists and empty suitcases to buy up a ridiculous amount.

The past few years there have been major renovations, to stores parking and amenities. Including touch screen signage (Hate those by the way, whatever happened to orange arrow with “you are here?”). Information is broadcasted in Mandrin, Spanish and many other Languages. You here rediculous amount of different Language speakers. Really does have afeel if an international event is occurring.

The Malkin Villages by my understanding are “higher end” Woodbury Commons. Your going to have people shop, attend some horse races then head back to the City or Hamptons. This can happen even during the NHL off-season.

Hamptons ->Elmont -> Hamptons?

I think not my friend...

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Hamptons ->Elmont -> Hamptons?

I think not my friend...

No. Not like that. But more like...

Tourist -> NYC -> Belmont shopping for designer bag -> Hamptons for weekend-> back to NYC for more touristy stuff.

Also to add, whenever we have family from abroad visiting; they always make a Woodbury trip along with the usual stops around New York.

Last edited:

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
The retail there will be packed. I am sure it will draw large numbers from the Flushing area, Forest Hills area, Whitestone, Murray Hill, Bayside, Jamaica estates etc... - plus western Nassau. It doesn't need tourists to survive. There is literally nearly 2 million people within 10-15 miles of this development that could make it work - not to mention the people drawn there from further away for reasons other than retail (arena, racing) that will stay and dine or maybe make a retail purchase. In my eyes this development is a potential gold-mine if its done right. I just worry there isn't enough on-site parking for game days.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The retail there will be packed. I am sure it will draw large numbers from the Flushing area, Forest Hills area, Whitestone, Murray Hill, Bayside, Jamaica estates etc... - plus western Nassau. It doesn't need tourists to survive. There is literally nearly 2 million people within 10-15 miles of this development that could make it work - not to mention the people drawn there from further away for reasons other than retail (arena, racing) that will stay and dine or maybe make a retail purchase. In my eyes this development is a potential gold-mine if its done right. I just worry there isn't enough on-site parking for game days.
I posted a while back a statistic that some crazy % of visitors to England from China visit Malkin's shopping village. Maybe 50% or more. And I'm guessing they're not going into a high end store and coming out with a designer keychain like locals might. More likely several bags full of stuff.

Reactions: CupHolders

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
A couple of coal mines are doing great business too. Not sure I'd want the Islanders future to be linked to that though. Maybe Malkin can put up a Barns and Noble or Blockbuster in Elmont. ;)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A couple of coal mines are doing great business too. Not sure I'd want the Islanders future to be linked to that though. Maybe Malkin can put up a Barns and Noble or Blockbuster in Elmont. ;)
I think you underestimate the entertainment aspect of outlet shopping as treasure-hunting for some people.

And coal's not going anywhere anytime soon either. :)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I posted a while back a statistic that some crazy % of visitors to England from China visit Malkin's shopping village. Maybe 50% or more. And I'm guessing they're not going into a high end store and coming out with a designer keychain like locals might. More likely several bags full of stuff.

Yes and yes. I have international friends and do you know how many suitcases they take with them when they go back overseas?

A LOT more than they came with.

Their family and friends overseas love American ****. Plus they don't all have Apple Stores and Amazon over there where they can even get it. Some people take trips here just to shop for stuff like what will probably be at Belmont...Which is going to be closer to NYC/the airports (and nicer) than Woodbury/any other outlet mall.

Reactions: CupHolders

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Yeah I heard all that. I'm still skeptical. People are going to fly from Europe and Asia into NYC and then take the LIRR or an uber to freaking Long Island to go shopping? I guess some may but I think it is a real stretch. Bicester is very unique and I'm not sure that can be replicated in Belmont. I think people trivialize the importance of the Islanders in this project. They will be the anchor tenant in a $1B arena. If they are drawing 6k a night it will have a very negative impact on developing the surrounding area (bars, restaurants and hotels).

The future of the Islanders remaining in NY is riding on:

1. Retail (gulp)
2. Islanders anchoring their own building (gulp)
3. The arena being able to draw shows/concerts competing with 5 other arenas (gulp)

Maybe investing in all 3 will keep this thing afloat. Obviously Malkin and his group are highly qualified and are not going into this uninformed. I'm just skeptical, that's all. I'm an Islander fan after all!

Ok Eeyore, we get it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

You get a mix. But there is definitely numerous resellers that do exactly what you describe.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Haha! I've never come across an Isles fan who understands this fan base less than you do.
Guess you’re just an Islander fan base know-it-all. Congrats.

The new arena will have more in common with Barclays than it will with NVMC. Like every other modern arena. Fact.

Of course yuh will spin it because it will be more convenient for you.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not that I think it makes a difference at this point, but does anyone who follows the political scene in depth in Belmont/Nassau know if anything that happened on election day change the support/opposition to the arena project?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
On track attendance at Belmont has dipped over the years, especially weekdays. Aqueduct (which is a dump compared to Belmont) does ok with on track. Free admission at Aqueduct and most people stay inside rather than sit in the grandstand or hang out at the rail. NYRA’s plan is after they renovate Belmont’s grandstand, build a climate controlled clubhouse and winterize the track, is to dump out of Aqueduct and move those dates to Belmont, essentially having racing there from September to July.

Racing as a whole is dying but betting the NYRA tracks on phone apps is very strong, and over the years NYRA has built additional barns at Belmont.

NYRA is not getting out of the horse racing business anytime soon. They’re trying to bolster it and create a sports and entertainment destination.

Which generally draws better year-round between Aqueduct and Belmont? I understand Belmont is a much larger race track

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Which generally draws better year-round between Aqueduct and Belmont? I understand Belmont is a much larger race track
Aqueduct has free admission and no turnstiles so it's impossible to determine. NYRA stopped releasing Belmont attendance figures years ago. They only release attendance figures for Saratoga. My untrained eye says Belmont on the weekends gets anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 depending on the card and if there is a food truck festival or craft beer tasting that day. As far as Aqueduct is concerned the inside of the grandstand can be pretty crowded during the spring and fall meets.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
It's some kind of club box/premium seating. Notice the wall separating them from the rest of the rabble. And see the ice level exits (to their private luxury lair). The riffraff sitting behind them and paying only $150 have to stand in line to get their beer and dog.

Honestly, I'd rather have the club seats down below the glass. The best seats to watch a hockey game are higher up and that's where the real fans will be. Though I do agree that the gaps are not esthetically pleasing.

All together, I hope this new arena will be one of the most intimidating places for visiting teams to play. If they are successful in that aspect, they have done well.

Reactions: periferal

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Honestly, I'd rather have the club seats down below the glass. The best seats to watch a hockey game are higher up and that's where the real fans will be. Though I do agree that the gaps are not esthetically pleasing.

All together, I hope this new arena will be one of the most intimidating places for visiting teams to play. If they are successful in that aspect, they have done well.

The only thing intimidating will be the commute. ;)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Premium seating. Get used to it. This is not going to be Nassau Coliseum 2.0. My guess is that many of the same complaints about Barclays will be present at Belmont.

Of all the complaints about Barclays, I don't think the premium seating is much of an issue to anyone. Sure it pushes the upper deck higher but in general, of the top 5-6 issues with Barclays, I really don't think Islander fans are bitching about the premium seating.

If you said cupholders, you would have had something.

Have you actually been to Barclays yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->