Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Just saying, the Public Advocate election is 2/26, and the person most likely to be elected is among the coalition against the deal. It's the only poll that matters.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
It had zero to do with AOC. It had everything to do with City Council.

It's inaccurate to say it had 0 to do with her. She was the largest and loudest mouthpiece for the opposition. It SHOULD have had nothing to do with her. But with her inexplicable large following, her mouth was the loudest. To say it had 0 to do with her is not factual. She isn't fully to blame, but she definitely is in the mix

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Completely agree with Randi's take on the opposition. Just saying right before the announcement in December of 2017--she was stating that it was 50/50. Like two days before. Baumbach was saying 2nd quarter of 2018 they should know and the soccer stadium was looked as being better for the community

Remember the day before, when Baumbach broke that the announcement would be that the Islanders were the pick, and then later on at night, he Tweeted out some garbage about "Odd that Soccer people are invited, what could that mean?" He for sure likes to bait clicks.

Didn't know that about Randi's 50/50 breakdown. That's weird because based on the criteria for the selection process, it seemed that an indoor arena was a no brainer compared to soccer. Guess she doesn't always have the connections.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
The polling isn't reliable. There was polling from back in December that varied a ton from the Siena polls you cited. There simply wasn't enough polling.

And 2002 wants its analysis back. The ship has long sailed wrt gentrification in LIC and Astoria. Looong sailed.

Yeah, um , not getting into a political discussion. While I dislike the way we are being run, I don't agree with people who do not understand economics politicizing private business.

I will be honest most of the media, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News etc has used those numbers.

Also for someone who worked in LIC (Citi) from 2002-2008, your definition of gentrification and mine are much much different. Understanding several apartment buildings and "luxury" hotels (depending on your definition) were built, small business and locals are still there. So maybe 2008 wants it back?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, um , not getting into a political discussion. While I dislike the way we are being run, I don't agree with people who do not understand economics politicizing private business.

"I like to expound on politics, and silence everyone who disagrees with me."

I will be honest most of the media, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox News etc has used those numbers.

They came from a Siena poll like I said.

Also for someone who worked in LIC (Citi) from 2002-2008, your definition of gentrification and mine are much much different. Understanding several apartment buildings and "luxury" hotels (depending on your definition) were built, small business and locals are still there. So maybe 2008 wants it back?

Obviously. Yours is wrong.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

You last worked up here 11 years ago? I've worked here for the last 12. You'd be amazed how much it's changed since '08 even. Sure there's some small businesses still, but it's more and more luxury high-rises and increasingly upscale establishments; and momentum in that direction is gaining at an alarming rate.

Reactions: dano16

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
"I like to expound on politics, and silence everyone who disagrees with me."

They came from a Siena poll like I said.

Obviously. Yours is wrong.

1.) Not getting into this on a hockey forum. I don't want to nor never have silence anyone who disagrees. Disagreement leads to compromise. Disagreement leads to middle ground.

2.) Fantastic you know your polls. I do not wish to provide what I do for a living, but I would ask you to perhaps provide your source. I guess stating I worked for Citi--actually Smith Barney prior to the complete merger, that gave you the opportunity to be curt with me, which kind of showed me your hand.

3.) Obviously i'm wrong. I just worked there everyday. Then from 2008-20017 worked just on the other side of the 59th street bridge. But you know best. I'm sure you are a resident of the area.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
You last worked up here 11 years ago? I've worked here for the last 12. You'd be amazed how much it's changed since '08 even. Sure there's some small businesses still, but it's more and more luxury high-rises and increasingly upscale establishments; and momentum in that direction is gaining at an alarming rate.

While I can understand that, using "gentrification" as a reason to stop it then is even more absurd, if your assertation is accurate. It already is. again, I drove home that way daily.

Also, does anyone think the benefits of Amazon being there would not have created enough revenue to fix Queens plaza?

Again, I dont want to spiral. This is about Belmont. If posters don't think Amazon leaving and Belmont being built is important to Cuomo then I don't know what to tell everyone.

Not you, but to say "AOC" didn't cause an issue is absurd, and thats where the conversation started.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
While I can understand that, using "gentrification" as a reason to stop it then is even more absurd, if your assertation is accurate. It already is. again, I drove home that way daily.

Also, does anyone think the benefits of Amazon being there would not have created enough revenue to fix Queens plaza?

Again, I dont want to spiral. This is about Belmont. If posters don't think Amazon leaving and Belmont being built is important to Cuomo then I don't know what to tell everyone.

Not you, but to say "AOC" didn't cause an issue is absurd, and thats where the conversation started.

I mean, as a Queens home-owner not terribly far from where the Amazon project was proposed, there was probably a good chance I would've benefited financially from them setting up shop. But not everything is about money.

And yes, Cuomo NEEDS this feather in his cap in light of Amazon AND the whole L Train debacle. There's no way he's going to allow being handed 3 big defeats in the span of less than a year.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The whole Amazon thing was about tax subsidies, and the people who were upset about it were people who decide how NYC revenue is spent. And the people City Council cares about most is people who vote in City Council elections. And the people who vote in City Council elections were overwhelmingly against the tax subsidies. Now, there are any number of structural reasons why those people are not representative of NYC residents as a whole, and it is definitely a problem with voting in this City and State that is such that working class folks have a hard time voting and therefore vote less. And that, in my opinion, explains the difference between the polling and political will. I'm not saying it's right, but I think it's how it works.

Belmont is different in many ways. And IMO the thing that's going to help it go through is if the economy doesn't crash. If that happens, any sweetheart deal is just going to rankle folks who are having a hard time getting by.

(BTW, the idea that finance people know more about economics is also very 2007.)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
And yes, Cuomo NEEDS this feather in his cap in light of Amazon AND the whole L Train debacle. There's no way he's going to allow being handed 3 big defeats in the span of less than a year.

You mean renaming the Tappan Zee for Dadio wasn't a major victory? ;)

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
The whole Amazon thing was about tax subsidies, and the people who were upset about it were people who decide how NYC revenue is spent. And the people City Council cares about most is people who vote in City Council elections. And the people who vote in City Council elections were overwhelmingly against the tax subsidies. Now, there are any number of structural reasons why those people are not representative of NYC residents as a whole, and it is definitely a problem with voting in this City and State that is such that working class folks have a hard time voting and therefore vote less. And that, in my opinion, explains the difference between the polling and political will. I'm not saying it's right, but I think it's how it works.

Belmont is different in many ways. And IMO the thing that's going to help it go through is if the economy doesn't crash. If that happens, any sweetheart deal is just going to rankle folks who are having a hard time getting by.

(BTW, the idea that finance people know more about economics is also very 2007.)

I agree with everything you say besides the last part. I have an undergrad in finance from the Univeristy Notre Dame (2002) and a ma in economics from NYU. (2008)I work in finance....primarily commercial real estate finance. So yes, i believe i do “know more”economics than most people within government. And it’s 2019

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
This is state land. Nassau County politics/politicians have 0 to do with this

Its all state land lol.. The people of Elmont are residents of Nassau County and they are loud and upset. The Pols are listening. Just like the people complained against the Lighthouse and Voted No on 8/1.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Its all state land lol.. The people of Elmont are residents of Nassau County and they are loud and upset. The Pols are listening. Just like the people complained against the Lighthouse and Voted No on 8/1.
Yeah, but we're not dealing with a private company like Amazon, and we're not dealing with a county property subject to the jurisdiction of Twp of Hempstead. Since it's state land, so long as they meet all of the administrative requirements, allow for comments, hold meetings, etc., I'm not sure anyone can stop it. Avoid some procedural violation and they should be good.

Reactions: The Lighthouse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad