Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The only thing intimidating will be the commute. ;)

Yeah there really aren’t any intimidating arenas any longer these days. San Jose is loud but it’s actually over 20 years old now. I don’t find Winnipeg to be overly loud considering it’s on the tiny side

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Of all the complaints about Barclays, I don't think the premium seating is much of an issue to anyone. Sure it pushes the upper deck higher but in general, of the top 5-6 issues with Barclays, I really don't think Islander fans are *****ing about the premium seating.

If you said cupholders, you would have had something.

Have you actually been to Barclays yet?
Sorry - to clarify I didn’t mean to say that the premium seating is what will be the main issue. It’s just part of the “atmosphere” or “game experience” that people have an issue with at Barclays. And that’s the reality of modern arenas today. Barclays has become a convenient whipping boy for inconvenienced long islanders. My point was that many of the trivial complaints (sightlines not as good as NVMC, steep upper bowl, heads in the way, narrow upper concourse, cheap seats way too far from the action, too many suits, no real fans, lame atmosphere, too dark/modern, hipster food, etc.) will be present at Belmont as well.

Yes, I’ve been to Barclays bunches of time. Always had a great seat and enjoyed the amenities, commute (from Manhattan) and thought it was awesome seeing the islanders play in a new, modern building. The atmosphere in the playoffs was as good as what I experienced at the coliseum.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If you create an awesome atmosphere, the players will feed off that and then you'll have an intimidating place to play. Therefore acoustics should be paramount here. For all the things that the coliseum lacks, it definitely has acoustics. With most all fans closer to the ice and a lower arena ceiling the fans can create a lot of noise, and there's nowhere for it to go. That is what makes it awesome.

For all the things that Barclays lacks, #1 is that an entire side of the arena has no fans on it so...No noise. Instead just a quiet SUV.

It'll be such a relief to have a full 360-degree HOCKEY arena once again, but if Ledecky/Malkin/etc are really smart, they won't leave any significant gaps between seating so as to maximize the noise in the arena.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If you create an awesome atmosphere, the players will feed off that and then you'll have an intimidating place to play. Therefore acoustics should be paramount here. For all the things that the coliseum lacks, it definitely has acoustics. With most all fans closer to the ice and a lower arena ceiling the fans can create a lot of noise, and there's nowhere for it to go. That is what makes it awesome.

For all the things that Barclays lacks, #1 is that an entire side of the arena has no fans on it so...No noise. Instead just a quiet SUV.

It'll be such a relief to have a full 360-degree HOCKEY arena once again, but if Ledecky/Malkin/etc are really smart, they won't leave any significant gaps between seating so as to maximize the noise in the arena.

If they are “smart” they will look to maximize revenue, not “noise.” Like every other owner.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Amazon HQ2 to be shared between northern VA and Queens (LI City). I assume this can't be viewed as bad news re: Belmont. If anything, maybe this helps some....

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Sorry - to clarify I didn’t mean to say that the premium seating is what will be the main issue. It’s just part of the “atmosphere” or “game experience” that people have an issue with at Barclays. And that’s the reality of modern arenas today. Barclays has become a convenient whipping boy for inconvenienced long islanders. My point was that many of the trivial complaints (sightlines not as good as NVMC, steep upper bowl, heads in the way, narrow upper concourse, cheap seats way too far from the action, too many suits, no real fans, lame atmosphere, too dark/modern, hipster food, etc.) will be present at Belmont as well.

Yes, I’ve been to Barclays bunches of time. Always had a great seat and enjoyed the amenities, commute (from Manhattan) and thought it was awesome seeing the islanders play in a new, modern building. The atmosphere in the playoffs was as good as what I experienced at the coliseum.

Come on.. I have been to both and this is not true at all. I highly doubt the sight lines will be as bad as Barclays is. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt there will be seats where you cannot see a large portion of the ice.

The other complaints I have never understood though. The cheap seats at Barclays are not awful if you know what section to go in. And from what the legends were saying it sounds as if the ceiling may be lower. The arena is going to be viewed as such a positive either way though. They are going to have their own brand new arena.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Amazon HQ2 to be shared between northern VA and Queens (LI City). I assume this can't be viewed as bad news re: Belmont. If anything, maybe this helps some....
But the Belmont Community Coalition wanted those jobs all for themselves. They were supposed to get first crack at them.:laugh:

Reactions: doublechili

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
But the Belmont Community Coalition wanted those jobs all for themselves. They were supposed to get first crack at them.:laugh:
Funny thing is that the usual suspects are already whining about it on twitter. Not over the fact that it isn't going to Belmont, but that it is going to NYC because of incentives. 100 percent if Amazon in a moment of idiocy decided to go to Belmont instead, they would have been out protesting that as well. It's not that they don't want the arena and associated development, it's that they don't want anything of substance there at all and are throwing anything they can against the wall to see if they can find some way to stop it. Amazon was just one of the things they tried -- they didn't want that either, they just used it as a distraction.

Reactions: nyisles

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Come on.. I have been to both and this is not true at all. I highly doubt the sight lines will be as bad as Barclays is. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt there will be seats where you cannot see a large portion of the ice.

The other complaints I have never understood though. The cheap seats at Barclays are not awful if you know what section to go in. And from what the legends were saying it sounds as if the ceiling may be lower. The arena is going to be viewed as such a positive either way though. They are going to have their own brand new arena.
How was the "atmosphere" during the playoffs better at the Coliseum than at Barclays? Louder due to the lower ceiling? Sure, I'll give you that but the new arena will have a high ceiling as well.

And of course there will not be obstructed views like at Barclays. But I'm talking about the normal seats. The complaints of too far, too steep, too high, heads in the way are not unique to Barclays.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
How was the "atmosphere" during the playoffs better at the Coliseum than at Barclays? Louder due to the lower ceiling? Sure, I'll give you that but the new arena will have a high ceiling as well.

And of course there will not be obstructed views like at Barclays. But I'm talking about the normal seats. The complaints of too far, too steep, too high, heads in the way are not unique to Barclays.

Why would a low ceiling not count as a better atmosphere? You are not allowing us to count the best thing about the Coliseum.

Well the normal seats at Barclays are fine to me. No complaints there. I would much rather be at the Coliseum for a playoff game rather than Barclays. Never heard your viewpoint before.

Reactions: PuckItUp27

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Why would a low ceiling not count as a better atmosphere? You are not allowing us to count the best thing about the Coliseum.

Well the normal seats at Barclays are fine to me. No complaints there. I would much rather be at the Coliseum for a playoff game rather than Barclays. Never heard your viewpoint before.
I'm not saying you are not allowed to count it. It was certainly louder due to the low ceiling and I acknowledge that. I just don't know if being a little louder equates to a better atmosphere. When JT scored the OT goal I don't think anyone was thinking to themselves, "you know what, the atmosphere is lacking because of the high ceiling."

In any case, I think we all know that Belmont will obviously have a higher ceiling than the coliseum did.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
No one is "arguing about Barclays." The discussion is about the new arena in Belmont vis-a-vis NVMC and Barcalys.
In post #377 you said the playoff atmosphere at Barclays was as good as the playoff atmosphere as you experienced at the Coliseum. While we can't speak for YOUR experience specifically, your statement is pretty ridiculous. Having been to most of the playoff games at Barclays, I can say that I think it was a pretty good experience overall but it doesn't rival what the Coliseum had. That's not a knock on Barclays per se, but you simply can't replicate the Coliseum when you had every person screaming at the top of their lungs. It literally felt like the place was going to explode.

I hear your overall take on the Barclays v. Coliseum v. Belmont and agree with some of what you're saying. But when you take it to the extreme and then shift the goal posts, you don't come off as reasonable.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't know just how much he LOVES Barclays, but I'm sure he's afraid to move out of there.

For me personally, Belmont will just be a minor inconvenience in terms of commute the couple of times I'll probably make it out there. No big whoop. I'm just thrilled they found a permanent home in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
In post #377 you said the playoff atmosphere at Barclays was as good as the playoff atmosphere as you experienced at the Coliseum. While we can't speak for YOUR experience specifically, your statement is pretty ridiculous. Having been to most of the playoff games at Barclays, I can say that I think it was a pretty good experience overall but it doesn't rival what the Coliseum had. That's not a knock on Barclays per se, but you simply can't replicate the Coliseum when you had every person screaming at the top of their lungs. It literally felt like the place was going to explode.

I hear your overall take on the Barclays v. Coliseum v. Belmont and agree with some of what you're saying. But when you take it to the extreme and then shift the goal posts, you don't come off as reasonable.
What goal posts? :huh:

Yes, for me personally I found the atmosphere comparable. With the Coliseum certainly a bit louder. Why is that ridiculous?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The only person here "afraid" when it comes to a hockey arena is Bones because he's afraid of New York City.

For me personally, Belmont will just be a minor inconvenience in terms of commute the couple of times I'll probably make it out there. No big whoop. I'm just thrilled they found a permanent home in the area.
I'm not talking about fear of a new neighborhood. I'm talking about fear of the ramifications of the Islanders trying to go at it without BSE's backing. You were loud and clear about that.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'm not talking about fear of a new neighborhood. I'm talking about fear of the ramifications of the Islanders trying to go at it without BSE's backing. You were loud and clear about that.
Oh for sure. And I think that is a legitimate concern. But I'll certainly be supportive and hope it succeeds.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Oh for sure. And I think that is a legitimate concern. But I'll certainly be supportive and hope it succeeds.
I don't think there was a way for the Islanders to have the same type of profitable relationship with BSE once Barclays opted out. It was irreparable and had all indications of them trying to push the Islanders into Nassau Coliseum full time.

Belmont and the surrounding project as a whole is the way teams are going these days to maximize revenue. You don't just own your arena, you own the land it's on and everything built on it. The Predators, the Devils, the Patriots, the St Louis Cardinals, the Winnipeg Jets, the Red Sox, the Cubs, Gulfstream Park Race Track all recognized it and have gone that route. Philip Anschutz knew that. Charles Wang knew that and Scott Malkin is following through on it.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What goal posts? :huh:

Yes, for me personally I found the atmosphere comparable. With the Coliseum certainly a bit louder. Why is that ridiculous?

First you compare the playoff atmosphere of the Coli v. Barclays. When people respond about it, its "Well Belmont will have higher ceilings too." Of course it will. Everything now does. That's not the question here.

If you found the atmosphere's comparable in your visit to Barclays during the playoff, again - that's your opinion. But I think most people will agree that there is nothing out there in all of hockey today that is comparable to the Coliseum during playoffs....both the good and the bad.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't think there was a way for the Islanders to have the same type of profitable relationship with BSE once Barclays opted out. It was irreparable and had all indications of them trying to push the Islanders into Nassau Coliseum full time.

Belmont and the surrounding project as a whole is the way teams are going these days to maximize revenue. You don't just own your arena, you own the land it's on and everything built on it. The Predators, the Devils, the Patriots, the St Louis Cardinals, the Winnipeg Jets, the Red Sox, the Cubs, Gulfstream Park Race Track all recognized it and have gone that route. Philip Anschutz knew that. Charles Wang knew that and Scott Malkin is following through on it.
Yep, I get that. Certainly agree with your first paragraph. I think that BSE had unrealistic short term expectation$ from the Islanders. I think that model could work for the Islanders and is a lot "safer" than going it alone. The Islanders are very unique and in a very unique market. I have some doubts but certainly hope it's a huge success. Can't wait for shovels to be the ground.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
First you compare the playoff atmosphere of the Coli v. Barclays. When people respond about it, its "Well Belmont will have higher ceilings too." Of course it will. Everything now does. That's not the question here.

If you found the atmosphere's comparable in your visit to Barclays during the playoff, again - that's your opinion. But I think most people will agree that there is nothing out there in all of hockey today that is comparable to the Coliseum during playoffs....both the good and the bad.
This conversation initially started about premium seating in the new arena and how that effects atmosphere. That's why Belmont is relevant.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The thing is....experiencing Barclays as a visitor is a lot different than experiencing it as a LI resident having to battle the commute there.
100%. That's exactly it right there.

And some Islander fans used being inconvenienced to bash anything and everything about Barclays, Brooklyn and NYC. It was (is) irrational and embarrassing to hear Islander fans do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad