Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You have way too much faith in our backups, and you don't know what the numbers Brodeur would be asking for. If you wouldn't take Brodeur, for the same price as Budaj... you have other issues against MB. That's fine, sometimes you can just hate a player, but he's a step up from either of the two we have behind Price at this point.

I wouldn't lose Tokarski for Brodeur and I wouldn't have Brodeur on a deal more expensive than Tokarski's.

WTF with the personal attack ? Only DD steals lunch money.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Wait, Tokarski has to be waived if he's sent to the AHL?? Forget Brodeur, what are we going to do with this situation then?

... And this is why getting Brodeur has nothing to do with Bufaj. Its all about Tokarski.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It was more a fan base that may boooo price at his next start while chanting Marty Marty and then on the post game show the number 1 topic being does the coach have a decision to make who should be the starter for the canadiens.

Yeah, point taken. You're perfectly right.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
maybe brodeur willing to play another season then, who knows.

what 40 year old brodeur has to do with winning the cups? what does budaj or tokarski have? 2012 isn't 2003 and marty's gaa is top 10 in the league if you count the last 4-5 years which is excatly the frame people been saying he's done.

We could also bring back Ken Dryden if prior cups are an indicator.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
good joke, when im supposed to laugh?

i don't know why you're so concerned about marty stealing the starting job since he said he's fine with 20 games.
Nobody's concerned with him stealing the starting job. People are concerned with the circus environment it would create.

And the bottom line is that we've got younger players we should be investing in. What is the point of bringing a guy like this on board? If we're going for players who are over the hill, then call up Ken Dryden. At least he was a Hab.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I can see why this would interest the Habs...

I think they want to ease the load on Price this coming year, he played a lot of hockey last year if you include the Olympics and he's coming off a knee injury.

They're probably looking for more games out of their backup this year...

Would you be more comfortable with 25 games out of Budaj or Brodeur??

Anyways...this is probably all media driven

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012

I think they want to ease the load on Price this coming year, he played a lot of hockey last year if you include the Olympics and he's coming off a knee injury.

Brodeur is much better than budaj

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
My only issue with all this is that we already have decent backups.

Bringing Brodeur means we have to move Budaj and Tokarski or lose them to waivers. All that for one year of Brodeur as a backup (which would marginally impact the team). I'd be super happy to bring him in if we were actually looking for a backup however. I mean no disrespect, he's been the best hockey player from Quebec since Patrick Roy and almost his equal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I agree.

And if we ever did sign this guy, the media would work to create more crap. It would be a circus here.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Well, if Budaj contract was up and Toks could be sent down without having to pass waivers, maybe.

As somebody else wrote. We'd have to move two more than decent backups in order to accomodate... another backup! It's not disrespect, it's just that it makes absolutely no sense.

And yes, Brodeur's numbers went down the last few years. He's one of the greats, but it's not 2003 anymore.

Habs might still do it, but that would be a pure marketing move. Which would be a mistake. We're not at a point where we need to make marketing moves.

Your make a valid point as to why you think he should not be in a Habs uniform, and for the record, I also dont think it would be a wise move, but some of the stuff I have read in this thread about him is downright disrespectful and an insult to his stellar career, regardless of where his skillset is today.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Keep it about Brodeur's on-ice skills please.

Looking at Tampa Bay's goalie situation after losing Bishop before the playoff's, Yzerman is hard at work 24/7 just like our Bergy. Tampa with Nabokov, Bishop, Vasilievsky and now Irving from Calgary, lots of competition and talent. Having Brodeur in camp, arguably the finest goalie ever ( not named Patrick Roy)IMHO, can only be better for all of the goalies and the Habs as a result.:nod: Minnesota with Backstrom, Harding and playoff hero Darcy Kuemper vying for #1 is just good management, Fletcher, Yzerman and Bergevin being the cream of young GM's in the NHL.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Looking at Tampa Bay's goalie situation after losing Bishop before the playoff's, Yzerman is hard at work 24/7 just like our Bergy. Tampa with Nabokov, Bishop, Vasilievsky and now Irving from Calgary, lots of competition and talent. Having Brodeur in camp, arguably the finest goalie ever ( not named Patrick Roy)IMHO, can only be better for all of the goalies and the Habs as a result.:nod:

I honestly don't know how much mentoring Marty would be asked to do, or be capable of doing. Besides, his primary job would be winning games as an effective backup. And in that role, at 42, I don't think he'll be an upgrade on who we already have.

I don't see a gain, other than as a marketing item.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
Brodeur Save%:

2013-14 - .901, 71st in league
2012-13 - .901, 57th in league
2011-12 - .908, 58th in league
2010-11 - .903, 55th in league
2009-10 - .916, 22nd in league

He's gone from mediocre-at-best to horrendously awful over the past five seasons.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
keep tokarski and tell brodeur you should of thought about the habs earlier mate. thank you

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
25 games? If Price is healthy, the backup's playing 20 games, tops, and probably less. Price can play 65 games no problem, which only leaves 17 for the backup.

Budaj is a perfectly serviceable backup, he knows it and accepts his role. He's not out to make headlines nor chase a legacy. Tokarski could benefit from the 17-20 games as a chance to show he can be depended upon in a regular NHL role and to audition himself for other teams in the future. I'd prefer Tokarski over Budaj, myself, but if Budaj is the backup again this year, so be it. If Price went down we'd just be screwed, whereas if Tokarski is the backup he can hold his own.

Brodeur has no future, is chasing a legacy, would attract too much media attention, and arguably has too much of an ego to accept being a 15-20 game guy (especially since he'll need to play 20-25 games to get those 12 wins he wants). He's simply not a good fit for the backup position on our roster.

habitue*

My only issue with all this is that we already have decent backups.

Bringing Brodeur means we have to move Budaj and Tokarski or lose them to waivers. All that for one year of Brodeur as a backup (which would marginally impact the team). I'd be super happy to bring him in if we were actually looking for a backup however. I mean no disrespect, he's been the best hockey player from Quebec since Patrick Roy and almost his equal.

I would accept Brodeur as a Hab as long as they can make sure they won't lose Tokarski on waivers if he is sent down to Hamilton. Then, I would drop Budaj (trade, waivers, wathever).

Because if Price is still injured for a long span, or Brodeur is really finished, I would like to have a guy in the minors who can pick up the slack. Joey MacDonald ? Condon ?... No !

Damphousse talked about added leadership to the younger group as well as a good dressing room presence. The guys could learn a lot and be stimulated by the presence of this future HoF.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
25 games? If Price is healthy, the backup's playing 20 games, tops, and probably less. Price can play 65 games no problem, which only leaves 17 for the backup.

Budaj is a perfectly serviceable backup, he knows it and accepts his role. He's not out to make headlines nor chase a legacy. Tokarski could benefit from the 17-20 games as a chance to show he can be depended upon in a regular NHL role and to audition himself for other teams in the future. I'd prefer Tokarski over Budaj, myself, but if Budaj is the backup again this year, so be it. If Price went down we'd just be screwed, whereas if Tokarski is the backup he can hold his own.

Brodeur has no future, is chasing a legacy, would attract too much media attention, and arguably has too much of an ego to accept being a 15-20 game guy (especially since he'll need to play 20-25 games to get those 12 wins he wants). He's simply not a good fit for the backup position on our roster.

I think you missed the part in my post where IMO...I think the Habs want to reduce Price's workload

He played a lot of hockey this past season and his season ended with a knee injury...he's been skating for 1 month but i'm sure they want to ease his workload heading into this year.

Might be the only reason why i'd give this Brodeur story any attention at all.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

At this point in their careers, definitely Budaj.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
In a one-of season, in a vacuum, I'd take Brodeur as Price backup any day of the week. He'd be able to take harder games, if Price gets injured he'd be a good backup, etc. But we're not operating in a vacuum.

At this point in their careers, definitely Budaj.
No way.

habitue*

I would hire Brodeur just to deal with French medias and diminish the pressure on guys like DD and PAP (and Bournival) who are really not very charismatic nor outspoken, nor main leaders of the club.

I think a guy like Subban would learn a lot with Brodeur as teamate, and be ready for Captaincy in a couple of seasons.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would hire Brodeur just to deal with French medias and diminish the pressure on guys like DD and PAP (and Bournival) who are really not very charismatic nor outspoken, nor main leaders of the club.

I think a guy like Subban would learn a lot with Brodeur as teamate, and be ready for Captaincy in a couple of seasons.

First seems like a very bad reason.

Second ? Brodeur didn't need Brodeur to become Brodeur.

habitue*

First seems like a very bad reason.

Second ? Brodeur didn't need Brodeur to become Brodeur.

When you have medias in your face for 200 days a year, and you know darn well that the French medias will keep interviewing DD or PAP on a daily basis almost,+ all the visits in hospitals and schoolls, and shopping centres.... A guy lie Brodeur can help for sure.

His vast NHL experience and Stanley Cups can only help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad