Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Dont think MB would put himself in the position of being backed into a corner and forced to keep/play a questionable player because of the "past legend" factor. I want the best goalie for the 17-20 starts the backup is going to get, every point counts in this league. Let training camp decide, I don't think there's a risk of losing Tokarski or Budaj so let the chips fall where they may in camp.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
In a one-of season, in a vacuum, I'd take Brodeur as Price backup any day of the week. He'd be able to take harder games, if Price gets injured he'd be a good backup, etc. But we're not operating in a vacuum.

No way.

That's what GM's and pro scouts are for, making the right decisions to benefit the teams progress, whether short term or long term. Glad that I don't have to decide, all I do is cheer on my team's choices and successes.:nod:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I would love to have Marty in here for 15 20 games, not reallly sure why anyone wouldnt.

Marty SAYS he is content being a backup but you know as soon as he only gets 3 starts in the first 20 games he will complain to the media and cause a distraction.

Both Budaj and Tokarski outplayed him last year and bringing ages into consideration I see no reason that won't be true again.

Tokarski needs NHL starts in order for us to evaluate him. If he has starter potential he needs even more starts to improve his trade value.

Price plays much better when he has a supportive backup than when someone is breathing down his neck.

If we were to take a risk on a fading future HHOF'er we shouldn't have been slamming the door in Jagr's face for years.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I really don't understand why people want to keep Tokarski so much.. He's 3 years younger than Price, he's not going to be a starter in Montreal, ever.

He'll always be a backup here, don't overestimate his value to the organization, he might be better than most backups, but that's just another excuse to trade him and go for Budaj or Brodeur, or someone else for the backup job.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Marty SAYS he is content being a backup but you know as soon as he only gets 3 starts in the first 20 games he will complain to the media and cause a distraction.

Both Budaj and Tokarski outplayed him last year and bringing ages into consideration I see no reason that won't be true again.

Tokarski needs NHL starts in order for us to evaluate him. If he has starter potential he needs even more starts to improve his trade value.

Price plays much better when he has a supportive backup than when someone is breathing down his neck.

If we were to take a risk on a fading future HHOF'er we shouldn't have been slamming the door in Jagr's face for years.

I dont believe any of that stuff..........If MB brought MB in here he would know what his role is and he would be a total class act and team first player. As far as Price being threatened........lol of what MB isnt 28 years old.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I would love to have Marty in here for 15 20 games, not reallly sure why anyone wouldnt.

I believe the main concerns are losing Budaj and Tokarski for nothing, relying on a 43yo to backup Price, then having to find a decent backup next year at a reasonable price.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
I dont believe any of that stuff..........If MB brought MB in here he would know what his role is and he would be a total class act and team first player. As far as Price being threatened........lol of what MB isnt 28 years old.

MB and MT know that MB could be a good backup for CP. But maybe MB doesn't know that what MB really wants is to be a starter. It will be up to MT to make sure that what MB thought about MB was true...

:sarcasm:

(Don't use MB when talking about two different people....)

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
MB and MT know that MB could be a good backup for CP. But maybe MB doesn't know that what MB really wants is to be a starter. It will be up to MT to make sure that what MB thought about MB was true...

:sarcasm:

(Don't use MB when talking about two different people....)

Ok.

MB1 + MB2 = CP3

Saintpatrick*

I wonder what does over-40 Martin Brodeur has to do with winning cups.

I think the time is right for MB to install a culture change. You're French Canadian with legendary status (Brodeur) or just a very good player (Briere) and you dream to play with the CH ? Do so in your prime, or renounce to your dreams.

Getting Brodeur means losing two backups with perfectly reasonable salaries (including a very young one) AND getting another backup next season which might not be as young, or even as good.

All this in the hope that Brodeur stops maybe, and maybe is the key word here, two more pucks over a 12 game span.

Edit : it seems you're a Brodeur fan, and not a Devils fan.

Well said. This isnt a retirement home for French Canadian players. I understand why French players are important to this team but draft them if you have to. So tired of these guys using the Habs as a last resort when no other team will touch them. We already have two capable backups.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I would have expected that a player like Brodeur that has led the NJD's to 3 SC Titles, and performed at such a high level in the NHL to be a total professional. I wouldn't want the Habs to face an opponent that has Brodeur in nets during the playoffs, considering his all time record playing against the Habs. Having watched goalies like J.Bower, J.Plante, T.Sawchuk etc. in the past, play absolutely amazing in the twilight yrs. after making the SC Playoffs and Brodeur surely belongs in that category of goalie, IMHO.

The other factor in my thinking is Carey being injured the last two playoff yrs., having Brodeur as a backup would be very reassuring, but I'm no Pro Scout just a fan. Nothing against Tokarski's play, but very few rookie goalies have come into the SC playoffs and led their team to a Championship. Dryden & Roy being two that went on to HOF careers though, the other two were Cam Ward & Antti Niemi.

I guess it depends on how the Habs view which backup would give them the best opportunity to win in the playoffs, if Price went down to injury again. That's what having the best competitors in your lineup is all about in the end, isn't it.;)

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Price didn't fold like a cheap tent during the Olympic, I think he is way pass the point where he need a supportive cast to perform.

I also think Therrien is a bozo, but I don't think he is stupid enough to give the starter job to a 43 years old. So I think we are safe here.

If future HHoF Martin Brodeur offer to play for your team, you have to consider it, you don't have to sign the guy but at the very least you need to see if it could works for your team and that's exactly what Bergevin is doing because it make sense to do so.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
If MB met with Brisson about Marty it could have simply could have been that he took that meeting out of respect for him. I have trouble thinking they would seriously consider it though, it just doesn't make sense unless you move Budaj and want to give Tokarski a starters role in Hamilton.

Davebo*

brodeur had way better save % and gaa against the playoff teams as schneider did. that just proves that brodeur is still a big game goalie where schneider pretty much showed his true colours. marty took the mammoth part of playoff team starts last year, 68% of teams marty faced were playoff teams meanwhile the % for cory was 46(if i remember correctly.

last 8 games schneider had all were non-playoff teams, he piled up his stats from somewhere 91.2 to 92.1 on those 8 games against the teams who had their hope lost from making the playoffs so when next year comes and marty isn't there starting the majority of "tough" games, will see how schneider does.

also that brodeur was 25th on wins, with just 39 games played is pretty good considering the fact there's 30 teams and their starters.

brodeur was easily the best goalie of oct/nov. he was something like +93% and 1.80 with 2 shutouts on those times. but that then leads to the fact that he got play regulary that time when schneider had that little injury and marty got to play much as he wanted to and that was the result. but now he's going to be backup, maybe he has his mind adjusted to that position and he does well even he wouldn't get to play often, will see.

Great news!

So - why don't the frigging devils sign his ass?? The Habs don't need your old leftovers - thanks. We have plenty of backup goalies - better than the devils backups - so why would we sign marty? Even the devils don't want him!

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Nobody will be able to diminish the extraordinary career Martin Brodeur had in the NHL. Will most likely be a 1st ballot HoFer, and will be in the discussion when people talk about the best goalies of all time.

The problem here is that his career as a NHL caliber goalie is, in my opinion, over.

As a NHL GM, you have to think about having the best team possible. Will Brodeur outplay Budaj or Tokarski if asked to play the small amount of games Price will sit? I think that clearly the answer is no.

Will Brodeur allow the team to grow over time, as Tokarski gaining valuable experience as a NHL backup would? Probably not. While Brodeur is experienced and is a cup winner, we got rid of Gorges and Gionta because we felt leadership was strong. I believe allowing a talented prospect to grow will give the team more in the long run, either as a potential starter if something bad happens to Price, or as great trade value.

For these reasons, I don't think bringing Brodeur in would be a good idea. And I hope Bergevin will think about it that way, instead of "OMG BRODEUR LOLS". Pretty certain he will, too.

Davebo*

If we sign Brodeur, this will tell me that Bergevin isn't the GM I thought he was. It will be the same old BS with this franchise - I thought we were past those days...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Great news!

So - why don't the frigging devils sign his ass?? The Habs don't need your old leftovers - thanks. We have plenty of backup goalies - better than the devils backups - so why would we sign marty? Even the devils don't want him!

Different situation.

The Devils need to pass the torch and they can't fully do it as long Brodeur is around. Again that doesn't mean the Habs have to sign him, but the Devils need to move on.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If we sign Brodeur, this will tell me that Bergevin isn't the GM I thought he was. It will be the same old BS with this franchise - I thought we were past those days...

It's already same old BS with the franchise: Brière signing when there was no need for him whatsoever.

oberan1

Aug 9, 2004
Montreal, Canada
Some people value their opinions FFAARR too much. How the **** does anybody know if Brodeur will be a distraction or not? As if Therrien and Bergevin who are 100% about the team are just going to let that happen? Do you wannabes just think Bergevin dishes out money to free agents without explaining them their roles on the team??? I mean look what he did when he told Parenteau after he got him? He told him it was in his best interest to come to camp in top shape.

Comon..

[mod]

I'm not exactly sold on Brodeur either, but the Habs made a very public statement that they had lost faith in Budaj and Tokarski has a six or seven game sample to go on, which was in an adrenaline-filled situation. How many flash-in-the-pan goalies have we seen over time? Lots - hence the minimum age requirement. Lots of goalies come out of nowhere to subsequently disappear. Not saying that's what's going to happen with Tokarski, just saying that history has shown time and time again that this happens. Especially in pressure-packed situations. Esepcailly over a few-game sample. If Brodeur is available and you're not sold on your goaltending situation, you have to at least look at it for the intangibles.

Sheesh...

Last edited by a moderator:

Davebo*

Different situation.

The Devils need to pass the torch and they can't fully do it as long Brodeur is around. Again that doesn't mean the Habs have to sign him, but the Devils need to move on.

And we need the best chance we can get to win a cup or three with our current lineup - marty is not a part of those plans. If anything, he'll be a huge distraction.

As a fan of this franchise for several decades, I know it will end in a train wreck. If he's not good enough for the devils, then he's certainly not good enough for the Canadiens. And we have depth in spades in goal...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Different situation.

Great , Marty is taking the torch from Lord Briere and he will ignite our passion?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Stéphane Waite says that the Habs never contacted Brodeur's camp. Just RDS that only are freakin out about losing hockey and wants to get people to listen right at the start to not let them go as the season progresses....

Mynameismark*

This is laughably baffling to me.

The Habs are said to have shown interest in a guy well past his prime who actually isn't that good any longer, for a position that we don't really NEED to fill.

There is a player of similar age on the Devils who showed interest in playing for the Habs several times and could never get a sniff with us, despite the fact when he showed his interest he was younger still, and even though he is now 42 he still prduces better than most anyone on our team. He is also a player type we could have USED and we NEEDED. That was Jagr.

But Brodeur is a french canadian so there you have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad