Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
People thought Peyton Manning was finished too. Sign Marty to a 2 years contract. Then we won't even have to worry about his 700th.

Marty has already stated that this will be his last season, he would like to win 12 more games and finish with 700 games won or more. Enjoying playing for Montreal his hometown team, would be icing on the cake for him and a great backup for Price. I can't imagine players having to either face Price, or Brodeur if Price gets injured terrible IMHO.

Sens fan coming in peace. I think Bergevin is a smart hockey guy, and is definitely far too smart to drag his team into this circus. Look at the two capable, affordable backup options your team has, then look at Marty's recent body of work. Then toss in the fact that Marty was publicly unhappy with his ice time last year, and still believes he should be a starter. For the love of God, why would Bergevin do it? The answer is that he won't, and never really considered it. I think Vinny Damphousse was simply doing a solid for an old friend, and stirring the pot at the same time.

Marty Brodeur was one of the greatest of all time, but it's time for him to retire with his dignity still intact.

Many goalies can still play in their 40's, I remember a Philly player saying Plante could have played still at 50 when he was a goaltending coach for Philly. Brodeur won 19, lost 14 and tied 6 for 39games in total not bad when NJD's were a poor team. He can still win games with his play and with a defence oriented team like the Habs, he could win the 12 games that would make him a 700 game winner. That's an unbelievable total for a goalie in any age/era, and he played in the Gretzky/Lemieux offensive era for goalies, with 124 SO's. Both great records and he's deserving of winning in front of his hometown as a Hab IMHO.:handclap::handclap:

or you have just looked the save %?

martin brodeur is done for playing 70 games but winning games? last year proved once again that is all about winning and he has been doing it for 20 years, from age 20 to 40, with stevens and niedermayer or not but there's always 1 thing remained, he's winning games.

if we wanna play with the statistics, brodeur has lower gaa than price has for last 4-5 years and now consider the fact you have been calling brodeur done for that whole time, how on earth a goaltender who is "done" has lower gaa thant world class goaltender? brodeur's gaa is top 10 last 4-5 years, is that being done?

brodeur for example played against the flyers 4 games last year, 1.25 gaa and 95% so if he seriously was done, his save % would be patroling around 86% or something and gaa nearly 3.00 but it ain't like that. brodeur has never had really high save % so having 90.5 or something avg past 4 years is just 0.7 shy of his career average so is it reasonable to expect him still putting 91% like 10 years ago?

IF Price gets injured...
Brodeur and Tokarski to the rescue.

IF Price gets injured in playoffs...ayoye!!
We're all going to love the fact that we have Brodeur as backup (and Tokarski, as well).

Price
#2a) Brodeur+#2b) Tokarski

VS
Price
Tokarski+Budaj

No brainer
(Price would know that Brodeur is here as backup...15games, max 20games...and the experience/leadership Brodeur can give to Price and rest of team I'm sure would be welcome).

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
People thought Peyton Manning was finished too. Sign Marty to a 2 years contract. Then we won't even have to worry about his 700th.

the broncos didnt sign manning to back up Brock Osweiller ( yeah, I had to look it up)

1) if he wants 700 he might get it with another team, or not
2) the habs are under no obligation to facilitate him getting 700 wins, and if that's
what he wants and hes at 698 with five games left, the last thing we need is to
cater to what he wants over what is best

Right now he's meh. I'm not even sure he's the best ufa backup goalie on the market ( probably thomas but it could be a wash). I'm not sure what his signing does to price, if there is someome we are going to coddle, it better be him over marty.

the only way we even think about it is if price asked for it, but based on his relationship with budaj, I think that fantastically unlikely.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Honestly, he's beat us so many times I don't really like cheering for him.

Go to Edmonton or Calgary man.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I don't see it, for the same reason that I don't see MB hiring Bouillon. He is on record as saying that he wants to give opportunities to his talented young players. These include Tokarski, who proved his relevance to the team last spring.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Tokarski has played very few games in the NHL, to think that he might have a better chance of relieving Price if injured, than Brodeur is just not valid, IMHO. If the Habs happen to have an injury to Price in the SC playoffs next season, having Brodeur to step in would be a far better option than any other available, IMHO. It depends totally upon the management to decide these things, so I'm confident they will make the best decision for the Habs, whatever it may be.:handclap:

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Tokarski is NOT playing in the NHL this year. He'll develop far better by playing 3x the number of games in the AHL.

Our backup this year will be either Budaj or Brodeur... see, we can trade Budaj to put Brodeur in there who will mentor Price AND have a backup who is really motivated to win those 14 -17 games...

Or we can rotate 3 goalies like Minnesota :sarcasm:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Tokarski is NOT playing in the NHL this year. He'll develop far better by playing 3x the number of games in the AHL.

Our backup this year will be either Budaj or Brodeur... see, we can trade Budaj to put Brodeur in there who will mentor Price AND have a backup who is really motivated to win those 14 -17 games...

Or we can rotate 3 goalies like Minnesota :sarcasm:

Tokarski has to clear waivers to go to Hamilton, which would equate to bye bye.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006

I'm not sure why it would. Most teams are already set with a starter and a backup and Tokarski isn't enough on an upgrade on the average backup to be worth using up a waiver claim on him. There's just not a whole lot of demand on goalies, and while Tokarski did hold the fort in the playoffs, he's not really going to be more than a backup.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure why it would. Most teams are already set with a starter and a backup and Tokarski isn't enough on an upgrade on the average backup to be worth using up a waiver claim on him. There's just not a whole lot of demand on goalies, and while Tokarski did hold the fort in the playoffs, he's not really going to be more than a backup.

I bet he would get picked up. There are teams with worse back ups, or back ups they can send to the AHL without waivers and see if Tokarski can play better at least. With how he played in the AHL and NHL playoffs there would be interest in taking a chance and see what happens.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

I could definitely see a team like Winnipeg take a chance on him.

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
Do you think there is a market for Tokarski packaged with a player like Bourque or Moen? I might think management might even consider trading Tokarski for a young goaltender who doesn't have to clear waivers for Hamilton. Who knows really.

I originally was against Brodeur coming in as a backup but I now think it might be the insurance the Habs need this year. I think Budaj has done his job helping Price along the way and maybe a Hall of Famer like Marty can help Price take it to the next level.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Do you think there is a market for Tokarski packaged with a player like Bourque or Moen? I might think management might even consider trading Tokarski for a young goaltender who doesn't have to clear waivers for Hamilton. Who knows really.

I originally was against Brodeur coming in as a backup but I now think it might be the insurance the Habs need this year. I think Budaj has done his job helping Price along the way and maybe a Hall of Famer like Marty can help Price take it to the next level.

No there isn't with Bryzgalov, Thomas & Brodeur still UFA.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just heard Mario Tremblay earlier this evening on 98.5. Says Brodeur is not coming to Montreal and he seemed to be 100% sure about it. He probably talked to some of the guys involved.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

I agree with that. But I don't think it should come to that. Do they really want to keep budaj over tokarski given that they didn't even think enough of boods to let him start in the playoffs..... He lost that opportunity to a goalie that had never started an NHL playoff game.

I can't see how budaj can keep playing as if its business as usual. The coaching staff does not trust him and budaj is likely not feeling great about his current situation either. This is a relationship that needs to end at the moment that a team shows enough interest in him.

As to the development argument, I may buy that theory on tokarski if I thought his full upside is a clear cut #1... But really, I think his absolute ceiling is 1b, so I don't think you are gaining all that much by giving him a ton of starts in Hamilton as opposed to giving him the chance to earn the backup role in the NHL.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Am I the only one who's really annoyed to see players we begged for in the past line up at the door once they are over the hill and on the verge of retirement?

just shows how hypocrite some players were and the things they said about Montreal and all that BS ... and now they want a taste of it before they hang up their skates. Are we a retirement house?

GTFO.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Am I the only one who's really annoyed to see players we begged for in the past line up at the door once they are over the hill and on the verge of retirement?

just shows how hypocrite some players were and the things they said about Montreal and all that BS ... and now they want a taste of it before they hang up their skates. Are we a retirement house?

GTFO.

I don't get annoyed by it. It just reninds me about the business aspect of sport, and that the business aspect is not always about wins and losses.

For french Canadians at the end of their career, there is less demand for their services elsewhere, and their marketability in Montreal is through the roof, which means money, money, money, through merchandise and other means.

Really, the only argument for brodeur in Montreal from a senior management standpoint is the marketability.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I've pointed out the irony in your response, do I have to slow it down for you?

I don't know, I was trying to comprehend if there was any hidden response in someone saying "Tokarski lol" but nope I think that was it, that's the extent of your intelligence.

No other explanations about why you feel this way, nothing. It's a forum to debate about things, not spamming.

Hopefully next time you'll get banned.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't know, I was trying to comprehend if there was any hidden response in someone saying "Tokarski lol" but nope I think that was it, that's the extent of your intelligence.

No other explanations about why you feel this way, nothing. It's a forum to debate about things, not spamming.

Hopefully next time you'll get banned.

You should look up the definition of 'spamming' , before accusing me of lacking 'intelligence' , it will make future debates a little easier to argue on your end. If you had accused me of 'trolling', I could live with that, I could see how my post could be taken that way. But, 'spamming' ? lol

It's a message board, was every response supposed to be well thought out and articulated, so it meets some lofty standard?

I LOL'd about Tokarski, because I assumed my context would be well understood. I laughed out loud at the thought of Tokarski as our full time backup. Is this really hard to understand? Did I really have to explain that

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Brodeur came out saying he would sign in MTL, trying to get is name out there / trying to increase in barganing power with other team.

Damphousse came out saying MTL were in talk with Brodeur to try to get rating...

Brodeur in MTL make sense leadership, better than Budaj and more proven than tokarski, From Quebec. I just don't see Brodeur actually coming to Montreal and I don't see MB being able to move Budaj to make room for Brodeur MB probably talk with he agent but for Brodeur camp it more a PR move than anything else...

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I'm not sure he would get claimed. Maybe the Devils would take a chance on him but I suspect they would be more comfortable with a stable veteran (like Clemmensen) backing up Schneider. Beyond that, I don't really see a team that would claim Tokarski.

Beyond the lunatic fringe here that seem to think five playoff games somehow makes him one of the best backup goalies in the league the reality is I think he has very little value right now. If he was waiver exempt and a team could acquire him and send him to the minors that market opens up a bit, but that's not the case.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Hutchinson's numbers are much better. I can't imagine they would dump a guy from their own system who posted fantastic numbers to take a flyer on Dustin Tokarski.

Hutchinson started last year in the ECHL and dominated going 22-4-2 before earning a promotion to the AHL where his numbers got even better going 17-5-1 with a .923 save percentage. He then earned a three game stint in the NHL with the Jets, went 2-1 with a 1.64 GAA and a .943 save percentage. He then capped off his season by heading back to the AHL where he backstopped his team all the way the Calder Cup Final.

Seems very unlikely, to me that after he did that for the organization they would risk losing him to give the opportunity to Tokarski instead.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Brodeur came out saying he would sign in MTL, trying to get is name out there / trying to increase in barganing power with other team.

Damphousse came out saying MTL were in talk with Brodeur to try to get rating...

Brodeur in MTL make sense leadership, better than Budaj and more proven than tokarski, From Quebec. I just don't see Brodeur actually coming to Montreal and I don't see MB being able to move Budaj to make room for Brodeur MB probably talk with he agent but for Brodeur camp it more a PR move than anything else...

You forgot to add that Brodeur's agent came out and said there is nothing going on with Montreal. So much for a PR move by Brodeur's camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad