Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
And we need the best chance we can get to win a cup or three with our current lineup - marty is not a part of those plans. If anything, he'll be a huge distraction.

As a fan of this franchise for several decades, I know it will end in a train wreck. If he's not good enough for the devils, then he's certainly not good enough for the Canadiens. And we have depth in spades in goal...

A distraction for who? You?

The starter job is -not- up to grab. It's not going to be Budaj, Torkarski, Brodeur or Mike Jordan in his 3rd career choice. It's Price, no debate here for anyone.

And backup goalie is not exactly a key role on our team, because we have one of the best in the sport as starter. And the backup won't play as much this year as last year because it's not an Olympic year and we won't play a **** ton of back-to-back games.

Great , Marty is taking the torch from Lord Briere and he will ignite our passion?

If a backup goalie is all you need to ignite your passion, then I guess so. :laugh:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Stéphane Waite says that the Habs never contacted Brodeur's camp. Just RDS that only are freakin out about losing hockey and wants to get people to listen right at the start to not let them go as the season progresses....

To be fair, if the Habs DID contact Marty, I think Waite would much rather lie to the media than be the one breaking the story, especially if the deal isn't done and out of respect for Budaj not being traded yet for the deal to happen.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Bergevin probably reached out to Brodeur earlier in the summer to congratulate him on the great career he had in the NHL.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens fan coming in peace. I think Bergevin is a smart hockey guy, and is definitely far too smart to drag his team into this circus. Look at the two capable, affordable backup options your team has, then look at Marty's recent body of work. Then toss in the fact that Marty was publicly unhappy with his ice time last year, and still believes he should be a starter. For the love of God, why would Bergevin do it? The answer is that he won't, and never really considered it. I think Vinny Damphousse was simply doing a solid for an old friend, and stirring the pot at the same time.

Marty Brodeur was one of the greatest of all time, but it's time for him to retire with his dignity still intact.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
People thought Peyton Manning was finished too. Sign Marty to a 2 years contract. Then we won't even have to worry about his 700th.

Nobody thought Manning was finished. There were people who were unconvinced he could make a successful comeback from neck surgery, but there was nothing to indicate he was finished. Brodeur's play has shown that he is finished.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Makes no sense. Have Budaj and Tokarski A/B-ing in hamilton? Nope. You can get the same performance you'd get out of Marty out of those two, plus keeping them on the farm does nothing for their trade value when the day comes.

TYLENOL

Dec 29, 2012
Lmao, the media is going to circle jerk over this throughout the hole damn training camp if this grandpa gets signed!!! Please don't happen! Please save us hockey gods!

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Nobody thought Manning was finished. There were people who were unconvinced he could make a successful comeback from neck surgery, but there was nothing to indicate he was finished. Brodeur's play has shown that he is finished.

or you have just looked the save %?

martin brodeur is done for playing 70 games but winning games? last year proved once again that is all about winning and he has been doing it for 20 years, from age 20 to 40, with stevens and niedermayer or not but there's always 1 thing remained, he's winning games.

if we wanna play with the statistics, brodeur has lower gaa than price has for last 4-5 years and now consider the fact you have been calling brodeur done for that whole time, how on earth a goaltender who is "done" has lower gaa thant world class goaltender? brodeur's gaa is top 10 last 4-5 years, is that being done?

brodeur for example played against the flyers 4 games last year, 1.25 gaa and 95% so if he seriously was done, his save % would be patroling around 86% or something and gaa nearly 3.00 but it ain't like that. brodeur has never had really high save % so having 90.5 or something avg past 4 years is just 0.7 shy of his career average so is it reasonable to expect him still putting 91% like 10 years ago?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
As a fan, I want them to hire Brodeur, as a GM of the Habs, I run as far away as possible from Brodeur cause I don't want to circus and I want to keep Carey happy. And I go for Tokarski for backup.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
As a fan, I want them to hire Brodeur, as a GM of the Habs, I run as far away as possible from Brodeur cause I don't want to circus and I want to keep Carey happy. And I go for Tokarski for backup.

Tokarski? lol

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
IF Price gets injured...
Brodeur and Tokarski to the rescue.

IF Price gets injured in playoffs...ayoye!!
We're all going to love the fact that we have Brodeur as backup (and Tokarski, as well).

Price
#2a) Brodeur+#2b) Tokarski

VS
Price
Tokarski+Budaj

No brainer
(Price would know that Brodeur is here as backup...15games, max 20games...and the experience/leadership Brodeur can give to Price and rest of team I'm sure would be welcome).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This would bring such unnecessary attention for a minor upgrade (if at all). I won't believe this until it actually happens. MB is smarter than that, I hope.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
IF Price gets injured...
Brodeur and Tokarski to the rescue.

IF Price gets injured in playoffs...ayoye!!
We're all going to love the fact that we have Brodeur as backup (and Tokarski, as well).

Price
#2a) Brodeur+#2b) Tokarski

VS
Price
Tokarski+Budaj

No brainer
(Price would know that Brodeur is here as backup...15games, max 20games...and the experience/leadership Brodeur can give to Price and rest of team I'm sure would be welcome).

If Brodeur is here, forget Tokarski. Simple as that.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

martin brodeur is done for playing 70 games but winning games? last year proved once again that is all about winning and he has been doing it for 20 years, from age 20 to 40, with stevens and niedermayer or not but there's always 1 thing remained, he's winning games.

if we wanna play with the statistics, brodeur has lower gaa than price has for last 4-5 years and now consider the fact you have been calling brodeur done for that whole time, how on earth a goaltender who is "done" has lower gaa thant world class goaltender? brodeur's gaa is top 10 last 4-5 years, is that being done?

brodeur for example played against the flyers 4 games last year, 1.25 gaa and 95% so if he seriously was done, his save % would be patroling around 86% or something and gaa nearly 3.00 but it ain't like that. brodeur has never had really high save % so having 90.5 or something avg past 4 years is just 0.7 shy of his career average so is it reasonable to expect him still putting 91% like 10 years ago?

Wow...
That means his stats against other teams were actually worse than what we expected!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
People thought Peyton Manning was finished too. Sign Marty to a 2 years contract. Then we won't even have to worry about his 700th.

Peyton Manning was 35 at the time and it was related to him being injured, not declining performance. Brodeur is a poor goalie performance wise the last 3 years. If New Jersey wants no part of him then that's a pretty big red flag as they currently have no back up...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Peyton Manning was 35 at the time and it was related to him being injured, not declining performance. Brodeur is a poor goalie performance wise the last 3 years. If New Jersey wants no part of him then that's a pretty big red flag as they currently have no back up...

They brought back Clemmenson.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Yet the Devils are thinking he is done...or will they sign him?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Great. Let him go do it somewhere else. We have no need for him here.

We've got a definitive number one goalie and a couple of backups already. Tokarski has earned himself a shot so why would we screw him over to bring in a guy who's going to be a distraction?

Brodeur should go to Edmonton or some place like that where he can get some playing time. He whined about his icetime in NJ and I'm pretty sure it would happen here. No thanks.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS

martin brodeur is done for playing 70 games but winning games?
Dude, we get it. You're MB's #1 fan or something.

It's a fact that Brodeur got about a full goal per game more scoring support than Schneider did last year. That's a pretty staggering difference; I don't know if I've ever heard of a split that high between goalies on the same team before. That is what boosted Brodeur's W-L record despite his low, and inconsistent, save percentage.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
A full goal per game!?

The habs could certainly use that kind of boost to their goal scoring!

sign him up

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
To be fair, if the Habs DID contact Marty, I think Waite would much rather lie to the media than be the one breaking the story, especially if the deal isn't done and out of respect for Budaj not being traded yet for the deal to happen.

It just makes no sense to get Brodeur at this point. No sense whatsoever. You already have to decide between Budaj and Tokarski...and on top of that you would get a guy who would create some drama over him playing or not, or playing better etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad