Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
If you guys have the space signing Brodeur as a backup is a no-brainer, he would probably play for free if he wanted to. Don't forget he is only 12 wins aaway from 700, do you know how much press and attention that will bring when it happens.
This also mean the media putting pressure on the habs to play him those 12 games...

I clearly remember the days of eternal goalie controversies. I'm very happy those days are over.

Brodeur would be a huge distraction and he's not the goalie he used to be. His last 4 seasons were .903, .907, .901 and .901 for christ sake. I don't care about your last name or if you're "clutch", these stats just plainly sucks and aren't NHL caliber.

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
This guy scoffed at the thought of playing here when he was younger, but now that he's washed up he's suddenly had a change or heart? Thanks, but no thanks.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
This guy scoffed at the thought of playing here when he was younger, but now that he's washed up he's suddenly had a change or heart? Thanks, but no thanks.

Would you blame him? He's played his entire career with one team, in all honesty thats the team he should be playing for in his last season, but he wants to win one last time. He hasn't really had a change of heart, he never said he absolutely wanted to play for the habs, he just said if the canadiens called him he would listen, besides when did the habs mention being interested in Brodeur, for us to mention him scoffing us? We've always had solid goaltenders throughout most of his career, nothing requiring us to a pay a premium to have him here. The same premium any team would have to pay to push him away from the devils.

We will live on without him but if he wants to end his career in Montreal, that would be the only other team besides the Devils where it would have any kind of meaning.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
If you guys have the space signing Brodeur as a backup is a no-brainer, he would probably play for free if he wanted to. Don't forget he is only 12 wins aaway from 700, do you know how much press and attention that will bring when it happens. He can still play and he single handedly robbed games last season for the devils at some times.

I've been saying it all along for the whole summer, Brodeur would make an excellent backup to Carey Price.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Brodeur is not interesting in coming. Brodeur is talking to a franco journalist. Brodeur knows full well that the Habs are set in goal. Brodeur wants to show that he'd like to come. But Brodeur also wants to somehow put some pressure on the other teams just in case some GM believes that this article MIGHT mean that the Habs will then become suddenly interested, so if those teams are interested....they should move faster.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
So let me get this straight , if Brodeur came here as a 42 year old UFA to a 27 year old top 10
Goalie, there would be confusion about roles?

Surely the Franco media aren't that daft .

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
So let me get this straight , if Brodeur came here as a 42 year old UFA to a 27 year old top 10
Goalie, there would be confusion about roles?

Surely the Franco media aren't that daft .

I think you might be overestimating the L'Antichambre crew.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Would you blame him? He's played his entire career with one team, in all honesty thats the team he should be playing for in his last season, but he wants to win one last time. He hasn't really had a change of heart, he never said he absolutely wanted to play for the habs, he just said if the canadiens called him he would listen, besides when did the habs mention being interested in Brodeur, for us to mention him scoffing us? We've always had solid goaltenders throughout most of his career, nothing requiring us to a pay a premium to have him here. The same premium any team would have to pay to push him away from the devils.

We will live on without him but if he wants to end his career in Montreal, that would be the only other team besides the Devils where it would have any kind of meaning.
I don't blame the guy by the time he came close to free agency in 2001 the Habs were such a mess anyway.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Brodeur is not interesting in coming. Brodeur is talking to a franco journalist. Brodeur knows full well that the Habs are set in goal. Brodeur wants to show that he'd like to come. But Brodeur also wants to somehow put some pressure on the other teams just in case some GM believes that this article MIGHT mean that the Habs will then become suddenly interested, so if those teams are interested....they should move faster.
No matter what the intention, its an embarrassment.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It was obviously a loaded question, I can't believe so many of you say no thanks Marty, lol. One of the greatest goaltenders of the modern era, he has no desire to be here, he was just asked a Pejorative Slured question. I had the pleasure of seeing this hall of famer live in Montreal on the 2nd of December and it was a treat, such a legend. Please do not diminish such a star with your weak words, he has dominated us so many times, you all know it. He just needs to hang it up but it must be tough to walk away from such an awesome career.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Brodeur just won't accept the truth that he's no longer NHL material. He cannot even beat out any NHL teams 3rd string goaltenders. He only survived the last few years infront of a very defensive oriented (and absurdly loyal) Devils team, his style is extinct like the dinosaur he is. :laugh:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think you might be overestimating the L'Antichambre crew.

I think you are grossly overestimating the affect their opinions and rants could have on the team as a "distraction."

Price, being an excellent puck handling goaltender, could certainly learn a lot from Brodeur as a mentor in that regard and in terms of preparation and being winner.

I actually think he'd be a decent fit in a role where he plays 15 to 20 games and serves as a mentor to Carey.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Don't want him. Pass. It would be a distraction.

We already have an established core with Price at the center of it.

He doesn't have the numbers to justify him being here.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It might be a good PR move but signing Brodeur would probably necessitate trading both Budaj and Tokarski and it would cut into the cap room. Besides, what if Brodeur didn't work out? It would be embarrassing for both Brodeur and Bergevin (as well as disappointing to rthe fans).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm gonna say it.. out of all the "top goalies of all time", Brodeur is and will continue to be, one of the most overrated.

Out of the recent goalies.. I take Hasek and Roy 10/10 before I take Brodeur. Roy, obviously, being the best of the bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad