Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

bigtimehockeyfan999*

I'm very torn abut this. Part of me is saying...why?....Carey Price needs nothing but a broom stick with a paper face and a jersey on it for a backup. Why risk another Halak-Price fiasco. Brodeur has got something left in the tank. That I know for sure. And even though I believe price is mature enough now to not get sucked into that insecurity of knowing theres a number 1 ready to take over at his first mistake, still..why chance it when he just had his best year to date with budaj as a back up...why not keep budaj as a back up?

But the other part of me is saying, arguabley the greatest goalie of all time, (for now:naughty:) wants to be a part of your team and mentor your number, a sort of passing of the torch. I would just feel....kinda right. Wouldn't it....and imagine if they won a cup this year. Or imagine if price got hurt again. What do you think would happen if martin brodeur goes in in the conference finals...I gotta believe he's got enough to get you to the dance and beyond...he's marty ****ing brodeur.

I don't know it a toss up for me, but in reality I don't see bergevin entertaining the idea....not unless brodeur is gonna take tokarski money, or budaj can fetch something worth it on the market, which he cant because that's where brodeurs offer would come from, but he has none.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Marty, time to move to a new chapter. Bed another sister-in-law and take up golf.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Not sure if the Sun's article was translated or roughly referenced the French article done in the Journal de Montréal, which would make sense as both are part of the Québécor empire.

I don't think it's faire to hate on Marty. He didn't come out and say he'd like to play for Montreal. He simply answered a question and his French answer was:

No I have not been contacted by the Montreal Canadiens and it would surprise me if they did. It's Carey Price's team and they seem happy to have Tokarski and Budaj as backups.

As far as having him in Montreal? No thank

Here's the French version from le Journal de Montréal:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2014/09/04/martin-brodeur-ne-fermerait-pas-la-porte-au-canadien

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Marty's always been gold at the bell Center/forum.

I say we do it and ride that magic to the World Cup!

And as for Marty as a mentor/teacher, how do you think that's gonna go?

So Marty, what would you do, what technique would you recommend in that situation ?

I don't know! Just stop it! Battle for it! Use your appendages! Double pad stack that ****!!!

I'll take price ;)

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Very strange that no one wants to sign him for a back up.And yes these french canadians should want to play in Montreal in their prime but like many they dont want the hassle of media and fan pressure 24 hrs.Briere a a star player declined to play for Montreal then when no one wanted him he signed for Montreal.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Very strange that no one wants to sign him for a back up.And yes these french canadians should want to play in Montreal in their prime but like many they dont want the hassle of media and fan pressure 24 hrs.Briere a a star player declined to play for Montreal then when no one wanted him he signed for Montreal.
The cemetery for washed-up players is situated in southern Ontario, not in Montreal.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Not sure if the Sun's article was translated or roughly referenced the French article done in the Journal de Montréal, which would make sense as both are part of the Québécor empire.

I don't think it's faire to hate on Marty. He didn't come out and say he'd like to play for Montreal. He simply answered a question and his French answer was:

No I have not been contacted by the Montreal Canadiens and it would surprise me if they did. It's Carey Price's team and they seem happy to have Tokarski and Budaj as backups.

As far as having him in Montreal? No thank

Here's the French version from le Journal de Montréal:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2014/09/04/martin-brodeur-ne-fermerait-pas-la-porte-au-canadien

Well I for one can't see how having Marty play backup to Carey could create a controversy, the question is what salary demands would he have? That might be the big drawback for having Brodeur finish his career in Montreal as a Hab, if that's what he wants to do. It's similar to the Ray Bourque wanting a chance to win a SC, and Boston letting him go to Colorado to me.:nod:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well I for one can't see how having Marty play backup to Carey could create a controversy, the question is what salary demands would he have? That might be the big drawback for having Brodeur finish his career in Montreal as a Hab, if that's what he wants to do. It's similar to the Ray Bourque wanting a chance to win a SC, and Boston letting him go to Colorado to me.:nod:

Bourque was still a high-end #1 D-men.
Brodeur is probably a high-end #3 goalie.

scalan15

Nov 7, 2006
South Brunswick , NJ
If you guys have the space signing Brodeur as a backup is a no-brainer, he would probably play for free if he wanted to. Don't forget he is only 12 wins aaway from 700, do you know how much press and attention that will bring when it happens. He can still play and he single handedly robbed games last season for the devils at some times.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
If the message is clear to him that this is Carey's team and he is truly willing to back him up then how do you say no to a hall of famer like Marty. I'd take Roy as a back up in his final years if we could. I don't think the media backlash on Carey would be as bad as his years with Halak, he has proven himself in the season and post. Of course you'd hear Marty fans ask for him to start games, but even Marty has bad games and then, as they usually do, fans will ask for Carey to be back. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what the fans say, as loud as they can get, the management on this team has proven that they still act on what they believe would be best. See Tokes last year.

If Marty wants to play in Montreal with the roll he is expected to, I would sign him at the right price in a heart beat. Nothing more intimidating than knowing if Carey goes down the same way he did vs the Rangers, the next guy in line is a Stanley Cup winner.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
If you guys have the space signing Brodeur as a backup is a no-brainer, he would probably play for free if he wanted to. Don't forget he is only 12 wins aaway from 700, do you know how much press and attention that will bring when it happens. He can still play and he single handedly robbed games last season for the devils at some times.

Yeah but what about Tokarski and Budaj?
To acquire Brodeur would be a very short sighted move in my opinion.

Davebo*

So - why aren't the devils signing him???

Are you aware of the Habs depth at the goaltender position? We've got some up and coming youngsters that need development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad