Brodeur willing to back up Price with Canadiens (Damphousse says Habs have interest)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Brodeur would be great for the marketing department and for some added $$ in Molson's pockets…

but it would be a terrible move for the hockey team.

Yes, he's definitely good enough to be Price's back-up.
Yes, in a perfect setting, he and price get along great and he provides some valuable mentorship
Yes, there are some great narratives around an HOF player from Motnreal ending his career playing for the habs.

but anyone who doubts that a goalie "controversy" would pop up the second Price has a few mediocre games, is either blind, dumb or oblivious to the montreal hockey market.

from a hockey point of view, we stand nothing to gain (Tokarski or Budaj are both better-than-adequate back-up options), and the risk of the media/fan reaction clamoring for the HOF french canadian to get more starts (or even supplant) our "signed-long-term arguably best in the world" anglophone goalie from rural BC, is palpable.

If we were in any other city, no problem.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Would be crazy, but it would still be fun to see him play a few pre-season games... As far as I am concerned I would much prefer to see Brodeur back Price in the PO than Tokarski or Budaj. He wa 2.59 in 39 games last seasonthat's nothing to shy away from.

Could be a good solution, if I didn't detest him from so much humiliation over the years.

The fact this topic is being discussed can mean one thing, and only one thing.

It's September 4th, the training camp hasn't started and thus, some people are looking to create news.

He's pretty good when he play in Montreal. :sarcasm:

Although he would be a really good fit if we hadn't 2 NHL backup already we do.

He wouldn't get much in a trade. Maybe a 2nd or a 3rd if a team loves him. He needs to prove himself more.

Last year when Price was hurt in the regular season Brodeur came out with I'm willing to consider waiving my NTC and when Price was healthy enough to play he decided he was happy in NJ.

I think he'd love to play on Montreal. I'd be okay with either Tokarski, Budaj or Brodeur in net. None of them have long term potential here, other then maybe Budaj and none of them are worth much on trade, so who cares? Tokarski is probably the best, if I had to make a choice but also the most likely to create problems with ice time issues.

Bergevin knows how good Brodeur is as a goalie and in the dressing room, a great guy for backup in the playoffs. Teams can carry three goalies and Brodeur could be worth a late 1st round pick to a team with aspirations of a SC Championship and an injured 1st string goalie.Why not sign him with all of his experience it can't be a bad thing, IMHO.

While talking about signings, Jaden Schwartz is without a contract in St.Louis, he may become trade bait, definitely high quality player there 4th highest scorer. I guess they expect Ty Rattie to provide them with the missing offence along with Stastny. Another LW, but a very proven NHL veteran now.:handclap::handclap:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So another over the hill, hometown boy wants his last hoorah to be in Montreal so he can end his career here. Does it ever occur to these guys that Montreal might not want a guy who has one foot out the front door and who's best years are long behind them. If only the Habs brass has the same reaction to Boullion.

Can't wait for Lecavallier to say the same thing in another year or two. GTFO! Just getting prepared.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I hate that guy so no. Plus, I'm pretty sure he would act like a baby if he doesn't get enough games.

Agreed.

The fact that he hasn't retired already shows you that he's too proud and stubborn. He says he would accept a backup role, but I can see him acting like the diva that he is when things don't go his way.

I hate how guys like Briere and Brodeur are all of a sudden declaring it "special" to play in Montreal, when they spurned opportunities to do so during their prime. If it truly was "special" for Brodeur, he should have looked to sign here earlier in his career.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The only way brodeur has a shot at coming here is if price gets a major injury and is done for the season, and brodeur is still available at that point.... And that probably holds true with the other 29 teams too.... Just waiting for a major injury and a desperate team.

To bring brodeur in as a backup to a healthy price is just a circus waiting to happen.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
So another over the hill, hometown boy wants his last hoorah to be in Montreal so he can end his career here. Does it ever occur to these guys that Montreal might not want a guy who has one foot out the front door and who's best years are long behind them. If only the Habs brass has the same reaction to Boullion.

Can't wait for Lecavallier to say the same thing in another year or two. GTFO! Just getting prepared.

Agreed.

The fact that he hasn't retired already shows you that he's too proud and stubborn. He says he would accept a backup role, but I can see him acting like the diva that he is when things don't go his way.

I hate how guys like Briere and Brodeur are all of a sudden declaring it "special" to play in Montreal, when they spurned opportunities to do so during their prime. If it truly was "special" for Brodeur, he should have looked to sign here earlier in his career.

This and this.

I'm sick of Quebecois players basically going "Tee hee, time to get overpaid in my declining years once I use the media and fanbase to guilt the Canadiens into signing moi".

I love local guys on my team but unless they want to sign in their primes they can go jump off a bridge.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
While talking about signings, Jaden Schwartz is without a contract in St.Louis, he may become trade bait, definitely high quality player there 4th highest scorer. I guess they expect Ty Rattie to provide them with the missing offence along with Stastny. Another LW, but a very proven NHL veteran now.:handclap::handclap:

I seriously doubt Schwartz is on the market. I know he's not, my source is common sense.

As for Brodeur, it's a no for me. We all know the media will find ways to create some kind of goalie controversy whenever Pricer gives up a bad goal.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Lindback with 38 games experience was traded for 2 2nd, so you never know.

And Toks played a whole lote of 15 games. Less than half of what Lindback had. So, by my calculation

Toks < Lindback/2
Toks < (2 x 2nd round pick)/2
Toks < 2nd round pick

So yeah, maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick...

:sarcasm:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
If this was to happen it would mean Budaj traded and Tokarski starting in the A. But I don't really see why. Brodeur has been amazing and I get why he would like to have a swan song in Montreal but I don't think Bergevin is the sentimental type...then again he did sign Briere...

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Budaj & Tokarski are just plain superior performers to Brodeur at this point in time. He caught lightning in a bottle in 2012 for that one last run to the finals, but outside of that stretch he's been clearly below replacement level since around 2010.

Marty's done. He just can't admit it to himself.

Analyzer*

Lindback with 38 games experience was traded for 2 2nd, so you never know.

At the time, he was projected to be a really good goalie. His obvious crappiness didn't come into light until he played on a team that wasn't all about defense.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
There is an opening for torch bearer at the home opener this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00