Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Its possible to love Boeser, think hes a great player AND also would not mind trading him for appropriate Dman.

So easy to see that Dmen are worth more than wingers. Every year we watch the SCF and see how Dmen effect the game wayyy more than forwards.

We need to build from the back end out and our Dcore is average at this point.

If we can move Boeser for a young Dman then as much as we love the guy , we need to pull that trigger.

I think Boeser for Werenski would be a win win for Van and CBJ.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Its possible to love Boeser, think hes a great player AND also would not mind trading him for appropriate Dman.

So easy to see that Dmen are worth more than wingers. Every year we watch the SCF and see how Dmen effect the game wayyy more than forwards.

We need to build from the back end out and our Dcore is average at this point.

If we can move Boeser for a young Dman then as much as we love the guy , we need to pull that trigger.

I think Boeser for Werenski would be a win win for Van and CBJ.
Totally agree that trading Boeser for the right young D man is a good move. I just don’t want Benning making such a trade. His idea of quality D (other than Quinn) is off.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dman, especially a top 2 dman are way more valuable than an injury prone 50-60pt winger.

CBJ is not giving up a top 2 dman for Boeser. Boeser can get you a #3-4 guy like Dumba.
Bennng would think Dumba is worth Boeser. Go check out Dumb’s career stats. For a 180 pound D man they are very underwhelming.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Go check out Dumb’s career stats. For a 180 pound D man they are very underwhelming.

1570071272_08-1009636871+012WILD100319.jpg

Reactions: Luckylarry

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hope he uses the trade rumour as motivation this short off-season.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks NEED three thinngs imo.
1. one of Podkolzin / Hoglanader to estsblish themselve as a top 6 forward
2. one of their young Dman to develop into a legit top4 D who can munch 21 mins a night no prob.
3. Gaudette to develop to the level where he can somewhat drive the third line and not be a liability

If that happens soon then Boesers comment on winning a cup soon may be true
Also, No more bad contracts issued out

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Trading Boeser now would negatively impact the dressing room, in my opinion. I like the comradery that these young guys seem to have, I don’t want it to be detracted from by moving Boeser.

I don't think it will. But Boeser coming out and telling us that he wants to be a Canuck and loves the team, Vancouver, and its fans is heartwarming.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Only way we should look at trading him is if we get a young stud RHD in return. Something like Boeser for Dobson. Otherwise we keep him.

i’m not so sure about a dumba type, but i think any team in our situation would 1,000% trade boeser for dobson. stud d already on an ELC, basically an ungettable asset for anything less than another ELC or someone at the petey level.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
i’m not so sure about a dumba type, but i think any team in our situation would 1,000% trade boeser for dobson. stud d already on an ELC, basically an ungettable asset for anything less than another ELC or someone at the petey level.
What about Boeser for Ekblad?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i haven’t seen enough of him to have a good read but if he’s turned around his defensive game as some people have said he has, then yeah i’d do it.

40 pts in an abbreviated season with almost no pp time is no joke.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed, which is why I think we’ll end up keeping Boeser.
That and it’s very hard to beat top NHL goalies with any shot they see. Boeser has the shot that can do that. Boeser will be a consistent 30 plus 40 guy for the majority of his prime. If Benning didn’t miss on his selection of Virtanen, then I could see moving Boeser to fill the hole on RSD. But Benning did miss on Jake, so trading Boeser would be a big mistake.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
A detailed article about Boeser's goal scoring this year (Why Brock Boeser didn't get as many goals in 2019-20 - Vancouver Is Awesome)

He ending the playoffs looking extremely good so there's hope for improvement but this lines up with my thinking. Although his shot has regressed I think he's having problems pulling away with his skating to get more open looks. I think this has to do with the fact that he bulked up and added too much mass in year 2 and didn't get a full camp in year 3. If you look at his rookie season his skating was much better and fluid than it was these past 2 years. I think he needs to find the right balance between weight and muscle because right now he's a bit too clunky. Let's hope the constant trade rumours have him motivated and ready to play this year.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
A detailed article about Boeser's goal scoring this year (Why Brock Boeser didn't get as many goals in 2019-20 - Vancouver Is Awesome)

He ending the playoffs looking extremely good so there's hope for improvement but this lines up with my thinking. Although his shot has regressed I think he's having problems pulling away with his skating to get more open looks. I think this has to do with the fact that he bulked up and added too much mass in year 2 and didn't get a full camp in year 3. If you look at his rookie season his skating was much better and fluid than it was these past 2 years. I think he needs to find the right balance between weight and muscle because right now he's a bit too clunky. Let's hope the constant trade rumours have him motivated and ready to play this year.
While I'd love to see a resurgence, I don't really buy the argument from the article that he has less time to shoot it. The fact is, teams no longer fear his shot and that on the PP, he has ages to shoot it, but defenders play him loose to block the passing lanes. Why? He's lost velocity on his wrister and without it, he can't beat a goalie cleanly like he used to.

Maybe he comes back healthy and goes back to his 35-goal pace from before, but I wouldn't bet on it. More likely, he continues to evolve his game to become a better play facilitator with enough offensive IQ to know where he needs to be to bang in goals when the opportunity arises. Still a useful player, but not the elite sniper we had such high hopes for after his rookie season.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How anyone can watch Boeser and conclude that his goals are down because of less time/space when it is obvious he doesn't have the same zip in his shot is beyond me. So many bad takes from people who clearly have a lousy understanding of the game.

His shot is off, either from wrist injury issues or back injury issues, most likely both.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Yes i'd do that for sure, especially if its 1 for 1.
He's a legit, true No.1 Dman.
Right side, right shot, perfect size, skates really well, hits hard, only 24 yrs old AND drives offense 5 on 5.
The Canucks would create a hole up front by losing a top 6F, but thats more easily replaceable than getting a player of Ekblad's stature. Hughes / Ekblad pairing would be godly. Then, Edler / Schmidt on the second pairing would be a top 5 - 10 second pairing in the league. That top 4 would put up so much offense. Schmidt 35 pts, Edler 35-40 pts, Ekblad 40+ Hughes 65+ (assuming they all play 82 game). You'd also then have the luxury of not pushing top 4 minutes on to Myers. Let him anchor the no.5 spot. You may not like him, but as a no.5 guy not going up against top pairings, he'd be a big advantage on your bottom pairing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
How anyone can watch Boeser and conclude that his goals are down because of less time/space when it is obvious he doesn't have the same zip in his shot is beyond me. So many bad takes from people who clearly have a lousy understanding of the game.

His shot is off, either from wrist injury issues or back injury issues, most likely both.
Yes weird that a potentially career ending back injury and 2 serious wrist injuries would actually have an effect on someone.:huh: must be his IQ

Reactions: I am toxic

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Hope he uses the trade rumour as motivation this short off-season.
You mean like playing with some actual intensity?

This guy was a boss as a rookie but that back injury has clearly set him back (no pun intended).

Just want to see him play hard more than 10% of the time.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Kid was literally Brett Hull 2.0 and Mike Bossy 2.0 combined before the back injury :cry:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Kid was literally Brett Hull 2.0 and Mike Bossy 2.0 combined before the back injury :cry:

Its actually nuts how different of a player he is now. Confidence is nowhere near what it was. Its like he's reluctant to put the puck towards the net or make that move to the inside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad