Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
For such a young player, Boeser seems to bedeviled with the major injury bug.....I'm seriously wondering how well this player will 'age' going forward.

If the reports are to be believed, Rutherford will qualify him and try to negotiate a longer term deal. But in terms of 'trade value', Boeser might be at the 'top of the market' right now. In a season or two, it could be a different story.
His top market value has passed

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MarkusNaslund19 said:
Good God dude, have you completely lost the plot?

Yes, Boeser who was a part of a fantastic top line that year could easily be replaced by AHL fodder because that's just how hockey works. Tell me you never played without telling me you never played.

Boeser hasn't quite lived up to his rookie season, which I actually think is partly a compliment to the Sedins work with him on the powerplay. He's been saddled with injury and personal tragedy, but has still been a legitimate top line winger. You can't just poo-poo the fact that he was our leading scorer in 2020-2021 just because it was a shortened year.

This past year for him was terrible, no question, but this Reid Boucher hyperbole is legitimately embarrassing.

I'm not deadset against trading Boeser, but if we trade him for low value based on last year we will regret it and you'll likely be in here telling everyone that you knew they shouldn't trade Boeser.

Moving this here as requested.

First off, Boeser scored at a 62-point pace in 19-20 between the season and the bubble. I said that Boucher could have scored 50 with the same usage, so no I absolutely was not saying that those two players were equal.

But as for my statement about Boucher? Absolutely it's correct. And it's weird that anyone would think it isn't correct. The one time in his career that Boucher was given a run of top-16 minutes he was getting 14 minutes/game with Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmeiri and scored at a 40-point pace. You think he wouldn't do 10 better glued to two guys scoring a point-per-game in 19 minutes of icetime?

NHL history is filled with Michel Ouellet's who were AAAA players that got a run with good players and scored at a 50-60 point clip.

Not all 62 point seasons are the same. If Brock Boeser scored at a 62-point pace from the usage that Conor Garland got in 21-22, that would be absolutely freaking exceptional. But 62 points from nearly 20 minutes/game chained to two guys having All-Star-level seasons is not exceptional at all. It's pretty mediocre, and Boeser was not very good that year and was carried by his linemates.

I'm not writing off 20-21 ... but it's also 56 games out of 200 over the last 3 years where he's looked legitimately good.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't really see what's relevant in how Boeser played 3-4 years ago. I won't hold too much against a guy for not developing better under the Benning/Green dipshit regime.

Boeser was a significant driver of ES offense in 2020-21. Period. His game fell off last year on a terrible team where he dealt with a lot of off-ice issues as well. But 2020-21 Boeser was worth the $7.5M ticket - it's worth taking a 1 year flyer on that next year to see if he can get back into form.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only hope Boeser stays in VanCity is if his agent and the Canucks can work out a 3-4 extension at money that reflects both his current stats and importance to the lineup. I seem to remember that down the stretch last season, the Canucks proved they could win without him in the lineup when he got hurt.

But if the Canucks qualify him, and he ends up earning $7.5 million on the last year of his RFA contract, then he's as good as gone imo.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I sympathize with the guy big time, but in terms of hockey ops, I'd shop him around. If the offers are pretty weak, roll with the QO and then re-evaluate the situation at the TDL.

Reactions: B-rock

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Because it seems to be a false narrative that Brock lost his shot I researched his goals this year from a YouTube video.

Of his 23 goals ten were on shots that he ripped it by the goalie 5 of those being one timers meaning the other 5 were wristlets he loaded up and blew it by the goalie. This was also not being generous as I didn’t count a few where it was a rebound or more placement of the shot.

Most of his other goals are from him playing net front and tipping in or jamming the net. Go ahead and watch for yourselves.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Because it seems to be a false narrative that Brock lost his shot I researched his goals this year from a YouTube video.

Of his 23 goals ten were on shots that he ripped it by the goalie 5 of those being one timers meaning the other 5 were wristlets he loaded up and blew it by the goalie. This was also not being generous as I didn’t count a few where it was a rebound or more placement of the shot.

Most of his other goals are from him playing net front and tipping in or jamming the net. Go ahead and watch for yourselves.
Okay. Now do his goals from his rookie season and tell me if he has the same velocity he had back then.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Watching the video it’s easy. Yes, it’s just he plays net front on pp1 so your perception is he is getting rebounds and tips.
My perception is that he frequently passes up on clean shots because he knows that he no longer has the shot that he once had; that shot could beat a goalie cleanly even when they were square to the shot.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Okay. Now do his goals from his rookie season and tell me if he has the same velocity he had back then.
Thats a legitimate point...In his rookie season, he caught a lot of goalies unaware with his powerful wrist shot..He then started to wait out (hesitate) on his shot, which allowed goaltenders that split second to respond...He wasnt utilizing one of his best assets.

Boudreau did a good job of recognizing this (Boeser was in a rut), and got Boeser back to his shoot first mentality....

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Really don’t think there was a significant change in Boeser between coaches.

Some months, he had a good shooting percentage and others he didn’t.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
My perception is that he frequently passes up on clean shots because he knows that he no longer has the shot that he once had; that shot could beat a goalie cleanly even when they were square to the shot.

Watch the clip. Plenty of times the goalie is square and he beats him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to HF's Trade Boards and a tweet from Irfan Gaffar, Brock Boeser is now in the same boat as Ethan Bear. The Canucks have granted permission for other teams to talk to him about a contract extension. Apparently there's been zero discussion on a new contract from the Canucks.

If true, that would appear to be 'it' for Boeser's career in VanCity. There's been a lot of interest in his services from around the league, despite his contract status.

So what's fair on the trade market? A first or second rounder and an 'A' level prospect, particularly if the guy is blueliner?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
According to HF's Trade Boards and a tweet from Irfan Gaffar, Brock Boeser is now in the same boat as Ethan Bear. The Canucks have granted permission for other teams to talk to him about a contract extension. Apparently there's been zero discussion on a new contract from the Canucks.

If true, that would appear to be 'it' for Boeser's career in VanCity. There's been a lot of interest in his services from around the league, despite his contract status.

So what's fair on the trade market? A first or second rounder and an 'A' level prospect, particularly if the guy is blueliner?
Are you sure about this.?..Gaffars tweet says nothing about this.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021

Hmm kinda feels like irf might have been talking out his ass.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Wrong.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
All the QO and negative value cry babies pls stand up and take your L.

I am guessing they are just going to double down. Make something up like Boeser didn’t take less on his last contract or our management team backed down because if he was in the open market he would get less than 6.65.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Yep, they played hard ball. This is the offer, we think it is good for both, if you don't think so we are happy to let explore the market but we will want a return.

Oddly I figured he would go back to Minny, close to home and take a home town discount there, but he took the hair cut here.

Home Sweet Home,

This leaves the team with 2+ mil in cap space so there will be moves yet.
Miller, Garland maybe Pearson or OEL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad