Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part II

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Despite what everyone said, I knew this guy was a playoff beast. Him, horvat, Petey, and tofolli, they must be our core moving forward. These guys are winners and can carry the play.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Once again the power play setup is failing to recognize Boeser's potential for more production. This needs to be figured out, they are wasting his prowess. He wouldve easily scored a PP goal today if he was utilized properly, the way he was going.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2009
Who has a young d-man that wants Brock? Seriously who?

Brock's claim to fame is a deadly wristshot that requires a half-hour windup. He isn't very fast and he can't consistently make a tape to tape pass. Somewhere in that head of his he knows how to play hockey extremely well and we see that 10% of the time. The rest of the time we see broken plays and desperation "passes" either to nobody or 2 feet away from the supposed target. This tells me the guy is running on adrenaline and cannot sustain anything now that his slow-release shot is recognized by the league.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Who has a young d-man that wants Brock? Seriously who?

Brock's claim to fame is a deadly wristshot that requires a half-hour windup. He isn't very fast and he can't consistently make a tape to tape pass. Somewhere in that head of his he knows how to play hockey extremely well and we see that 10% of the time. The rest of the time we see broken plays and desperation "passes" either to nobody or 2 feet away from the supposed target. This tells me the guy is running on adrenaline and cannot sustain anything now that his slow-release shot is recognized by the league.

horrible take. Hes been arguably their best forward during the past 3 games.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Boeser has been working hard and trying to make an impact all series (maybe missing a game). I'm so happy that he finally got a goal.

This is what gives me hope for the future, all of our young skilled core is working extremely hard and making a positive impact in all kinds of ways when they’re not scoring. Ironically some of the veterans are not bringing the intensity consistently. Boeser has a lot of positive intangibles in his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
When he's on, he's ON. He's been winning board battles like a prime Josh Leivo

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I can't believe there's trade Boeser talk. Yes, there are warts in his game, but guys who put up 65-point-pace seasons at a $5.8M cap hit don't grow on trees.

Yes, 2 seasons from now there's a question as to whether you extend him at (at least) $7.5M. Trade him then. There's almost zero chance we actually get an upgrade on D in any move.

His production is improving, his two-way game is improving ... you keep this guy.

Reactions: kaczor47

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is what gives me hope for the future, all of our young skilled core is working extremely hard and making a positive impact in all kinds of ways when they’re not scoring. Ironically some of the veterans check out occasionally and are not bringing the intensity consistently. Boeser has a lot of positive intangibles in his game.

Ya. I am not sure if it's the veterans checking out though. The thing is that the league is getting younger and faster. In normal life, a 30 year old simply can't match the energy of a 23 year old. Professional hockey players can't beat father time.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I’d rather have a 25 goal with a solid all around game Boeser (Oshie) than a 35 goal one dimensional Boeser (Laine). Boeser was our MVP in the Minnesota series and has been one of the Canucks best forwards these playoffs. Does a lot of little things right; wins board battles, hustles hard, plays heavy, maintains possession, makes good passes, and scores the occasional goal. He doesn’t have the talent or stick handling of a Pettersson but makes a positive impact in different ways. Boeser has been solid.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The key for Brock is to adapt his game to his limitations.

Wrist hurting? Focus on winning puck battles down low. Move your feet and use your size to your advantage on the forecheck. He was doing a lot of that and going to the dirty areas on the ice, and the result was one of his best games in recent memory.

He needs to find other ways to produce value. We don’t need him to be a perennial 40 goal guy (although nobody would complain), but we DO need him to bust his ass and make plays happen.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
you cannot trade the Brock we are seeing these past two games, Green needs him to access this level of battle/intensity for longer stretches.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Some of you guys are so damn fickle

I love Boeser and I think he’s an awesome player who’s been great for us since the moment he put on a Canucks jersey

Reactions: Jimbo57 and Grumpy1

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I’d rather have a 25 goal with a solid all around game Boeser (Oshie) than a 35 goal one dimensional Boeser (Laine). Boeser was our MVP in the Minnesota series and has been one of the Canucks best forwards these playoffs. Does a lot of little things right; wins board battles, hustles hard, plays heavy, maintains possession, makes good passes, and scores the occasional goal. He doesn’t have the talent or stick handling of a Pettersson but makes a positive impact in different ways. Boeser has been solid.
I’m a big Boeser fan but your take on Laine is inaccurate.

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016

Laine certainly isn’t one dimensional.
Perhaps in the past but his two way play is much improved now

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Ya. I am not sure if it's the veterans checking out though. The thing is that the league is getting younger and faster. In normal life, a 30 year old simply can't match the energy of a 23 year old. Professional hockey players can't beat father time.

Agreed. So Benning shouldn't have kept giving them premium salaries with term and NTC's. Just idiotic. Now because of that we're having to consider trading a young top-end player in his prime because there's no room to keep our young starts together with a proper supporting cast.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I like Boeser but I'm starting to lean more towards trading him for top 4 D. Podkolzin will be able to step in right away and be a more effective winger than Boeser, as he is far better defensively than, and his shot is as good or better. And at an ELC that saves us 5 million dollars over Boeser. Let's spend that money on a decent defenseman.

With the cap it is impossible to keep everybody you'd like to.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Agreed. So Benning shouldn't have kept giving them premium salaries with term and NTC's. Just idiotic. Now because of that we're having to consider trading a young top-end player in his prime because there's no room to keep our young starts together with a proper supporting cast.

My point was that in terms of "energy level" a 30 year old will have a difficult time matching that of a 23 year old. A 19 year old Jovo played like a heat-seeking missile. That doesn't mean that the 30 year old can't be the better player.

But in response to your post, not sure which "veterans" you're speaking of, but both Roussel and Beagle have modified NTCs. So does Sutter now. Let's face it, injuries have severely damaged Sutter's value. Previously he could be relied on to rarely miss games. If you extrapolate his offensive production over 82 games, he has basically been a 15 goal 30+ point player even this season. He's only 31 years old. Roussel I think is a good player and had a very strong season here. Beagle I think is severely overpaid.

I think that if the Ferland signing worked out, we wouldn't be have acquired Tofolli. Luongo's recapture penalty (seriously we're the only team in the league dealing with this) and flat cap have caused potential cap issues.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Ooooof Brock. Missing that wide open net is going to sit with him. It should.

I’ve been impressed with how he’s adapted his game, for laying heavy in the puck. Still, it seems his shot is gone.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
He was better this series than the St. Louis one.

I'd still be open to trading him though.

In my opinion, he isn't a key part of the "core."

We need help on defence badly, and he has the trade value needed to get us a young top 4 defender.

sid232

Oct 9, 2019
Boesar needs to be gone. Had one good game in this series and none in St louis. You can't pay a guy 6 million to have one good game. His skating is meh, definitely not a two-way player, has no physicality whatsover and his shot no longer has the same zip and accuracy. Trade him for a Top 4 D or a more physical top six forward.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Boesar needs to be gone. Had one good game in this series and none in St louis. You can't pay a guy 6 million to have one good game. His skating is meh, definitely not a two-way player, has no physicality whatsover and his shot no longer has the same zip and accuracy. Trade him for a Top 4 D or a more physical top six forward.

He had 50% of our scoring chances this game and a post ....

Reactions: supercanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->